"164,621 people

"164,621 people.

Mostly Japanese. Some from Korea, others from other countries. Many civilians. Many POWs and trafficked "comfort women". People who just wanted to go home. They were known as hibakusha, "ones who saw the flash": the ones lived through the atomic bombings of Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

The 164,621 people are not those who were killed in the bombings, that number is far greater. These are the people who, as of March this year, lived through them and are still alive.
Both bombs were dropped this week, seventy-two years ago. Imagine having lived through the most terrifying human-made destruction, and on its anniversary seventy-two years later, having to feel that fear again.

It's tearing me up right now.

I don't want any talks of "yes well it ended the war". I'm not talking about the bomb. I'm talking about the people."

Quote from a friend that I wanted to share.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall
youtube.com/watch?v=U6rOSe3EsdM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you had paid your denbts you would know that hibakusha means "explosion-affected people".

I think you meant to post on reddit

Ummm, the Japanese deserved it sweetie. Xenophobic as fuck desu

>I don't want to talk about why the bombs were dropped, I want to virtue signal
I wonder why your friend doesn't shed tears over the fire bombing victims. Probably "bigger boom" = "bigger feels" or some childish shit

No problem in murdering thousands at all, the problem is that using nukes is a dishonourable way of winning wars.

If they had sent a land invasion, the glory would be far greater than whatever the cowards got by using a nuke

Jap here

It was unnecessary but just an exaggerated part of war like the holohoax

Explosions kills thousands more japanese oh no!

It was WW2. Explosions were killing people all over the world.

Get over it and make the future better.

>sweetie
Why do so many US people insist on writing and talking like an obsese middle aged black mammy?

To accurately represent our politically vocal demographics

>The 164,621 people are not those who were killed in the bombings, that number is far greater.
>that number is far greater.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

>The two bombings, which killed at least 129,000 people

Tell your friend he's a dumbass.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall
>A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7–4 million American casualties, including 400,000–800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities. The key assumption was large-scale participation by civilians in the defense of Japan.[15]

Not to mention the devastating effect an invasion would have on Japanese industry. America rebuilt Japan's economy into one of the world's strongest after the war, currently the third largest GDP behind the USA and China. Anyone who opposes nuclear weapons needs to open up a history textbook and try to justify the facts that.
>Past nuclear bombings have saved millions of lives.
>MAD prevented a conventionally fought WW3 which would have killed millions more.
>Nukes have deescalated countless smaller conflicts because of the threat of total destruction.

There was no need to invade or nuke

Just seige and allow surrender just like the emperor wants

>Jap
Japanese don't use the word

The alternative would have been a full scale land invasion which would account for millions dead.

Fine with the continued fire bombing campaigns and starvation of the country via blockade. Two big bombs and a quicker end is just like so inhumane man.

japs were acting cra cra!! Fuckin actin like slant eyed nazis........ but oooo poor poor japs

always with the poor japs that got nuked.......

Considering Greece's last great invention was the homo, I'm not surprised by this thread at all.

I don't hear him crying about the 20M Chinese the Japanese killed.

Or the horrific human experiments the Japanese committed.

Or the fact the Battle of Okinawa had more casualties than both bombs combined.

But, the bombs somehow transcend all of this... ?

If you honestly think that the Japanese would have surrendered without threat of complete destruction then you are completely delusional.

youtube.com/watch?v=U6rOSe3EsdM

This guy refused to surrender for almost 20 years after the war ended. He refused to believe Japan could have surrendered so quickly BECAUSE HE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE ATOM BOMB and assumed the calls from the Allied forces to leave the forest was a trap.

Surrender like Okinawa aka mass suicide, just on a country wide scale? I thought we're talking about what would harm Jap citizens less?

You are a simple minded fool. Individual outliers do not decide for collective groups.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan

The Japanese would only fight to the death if they were denied their surrender conditions. They simply were granted their surrender conditions after the nukes were dropped rather than before.

I wonder (((why)))

Was the intent to conquer and enslave the Japanese people or overthrow their ruler?

Then they would all fight to the death.

Was the intent merely to end the war and then allow Japan to continue as a disarmed militarily crippled world power?

Ok then Japanese will surrender to enough explosions

Everyone forgets Tokyo was firebombed for months

I see what you did there. The mods apparently woke up and started removing all your low effort threads. Here is a tip for you:

Don't

break

the

line

on

every

sentence,

only

redditors

does

that.

Japs only surrendered due to russians.
Nukes show just how bat shit the Japs were and how it was the only option without russians.

Does someone know how many US-prisoner were in Nagasaki and Hiroshima when the atombomb was dropped?

>Highest christian populations in Japan
>Literally had the pentagram as their city symbol

Japs only surrender if you let their emperor live

Nukes were irrelevant along with invasion once defeat was guaranteed. All that mattered was wether or not surrender was going to be nice or not.

US couldve made it nice by ending the Cold War but US was just a puppet of the Cold War

Fuck them, a horrible fate awaited the loser no matter who it was or how many innocents got caught in the crossfire

How is this related to my question?
Maybe they were intending a circle.