How fucked up is the electoral college?

It's insane how much value a vote from Wyoming or DC has, especially compared to Texas or California. it just needs to go.

Other urls found in this thread:

judicialwatch.org/document-archive/nvra-letter-ca-august-2017/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When was the last time Wyoming was relevant in an election.

Electoral college numbers change every decade
Nothing is wrong with it as a system, it's literally designed to be tweaked constantly.

Also, america literally doesn't have a popular vote for ANYTHING
We are states. If we ever had a vote on something that counted beyond our individual states, it would open the door for the federal government to run all races, and that's the end of the usa

You got a bigger version. Unlike you I am not an ant.

Let's compromise. Eliminate the electoral college but nuke southern California.

It's fucked. The argument from people against the popular vote is that they want an equal system, but all the electoral college does is shift the majority of influence away from cities and into empty shithole states. It reverses the problem instead of fixing it.

Does Not take into account winner takes all states though. Trump won florida by only 100k, and all electoral votes went red because of that.

If the smaller population states were overpowered by the coasts, on everything....why would they stay in the union? When their interests would NEVER be represented? Why should they become slaves to the insane leftist totalitarians in California and New York?

All the redditors in this thread bitching about it can eat ass.
If you want a fair change, let's adopt a threshold so that in cases where one wins the EC without the popular vote but goes above the threshold, the popularly elected candidate wins but other doesn't if below threshold.

Honestly a decent step to unfuck this abortion of a system is to make every state divvy the EC votes by percentages. Winner takes all is an embarrassing joke. Enjoy being a Republican in New York or California, or a Democrat in any deep south state. Your vote is essentially pointless, a waste of time. Which is not how voting should work.

Founding fathers didn't want major states to overpower lesser states' will. It's why we have two congressional chambers. Stop fucking with a government you don't understand. Read the Federalist papers and the foundations of our nation.

Why is it so hard to understand that we're a Federal Republic? As in a Federation of states?

The electoral college is perfectly fine

CAUSE IT WAS HER TURN!!!!
Also, what do you think of

How is that any different than a popular vote?

I'm fine with the way the system is now, honestly. It's the parties' own fault that they don't have more flexible state-based representation. A Republican in NJ shouldn't necessarily be seeking the same things as a Republican in Iowa

It all boils down to our overarching Federal government and how too much power has been deverted from the states. The national parties should be more of coalitions like what occurs in Parliamentary systems

Smaller states still hold greater per vote power than larger states. So the votes of a million Californians to get one Red delegate is still equal to the vote of 100K Wyomiangians.

it's not pure popular vote since states still only receive a certain number of electoral votes per population

but a % of those votes can still go towards a candidate versus winner take all where a slight majority gets 100% of the electoral votes for that state

The electoral college was designed to make sure the interests of every man could be represented as equally as possible. The vote of a man in Wyoming is insanely strong compared to California, yes, but just how many men vote in Wyoming compared to California? Practically none.
The electoral college must stay because it destroys the possibility of pure popular vote becoming a deciding factor and instead distributes power based on population on a state-wise basis (and all of the states have radically different interests considering they are spread out across a continent). OP is a faggot

Retard Alert drink the bleach faggot !!

The only reason that either the Senate or the EC exist is that the smaller states wouldn't have signed onto the Constitution otherwise.

What would make perfect sense in electing the President is nationwide instant-runoff voting. Good luck getting the two big parties to agree to that.

Good luck getting the Constitution amended to anything sensible. Need 3/4 of the state legislatures to consent. All the smaller states want to keep their advantage.

poor fella's candidate in the election didn't win :'( sad days my friend, maybe you should just kill yourself before it gets too much to like literally like handle?

>People are STILL butthurt about trump winning
Christ just get over it. Name one thing that trump has done that directly affected your daily life.

California used to be red though.

I like the way Maine does it with district EVs as well as statewide ones.

I'd much rather see a multi-party system and a better ballot method, but I've come around to liking the EC overall.

make DC vote with Maryland and split California on red/blue lines and stop complaining.

Pls no. Just enable the purge in California, I'll do the rest I promise

Yeah great, now the lesser states outpower the major states' will.

lmao you act like the US isn't just a giant blob of indiscernible "states" with no real local identities or interests

>It's insane how much value a vote from Wyoming or DC has, especially compared to Texas or California
You're the type of asshole that makes it necessary. Fucking douchebag.

Fuck Off

Good point. Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvanian didn't matter at all in the last election

For people who whine about redistribution of wealth, they have a difficult time understanding redistribution of votes.

The left will bitch, and moan about there being a 3 vote minimum for states in the electoral college when California has 55 by itself...

Yet, they are the same people that bitch and moan wanting a higher minimum wage.

fucking hypocrites

Maybe so many people shouldn't live gutter trash cities.

So people that live in states like Wyoming have an equal voice you fucking moron.

The electoral college is not perfect but its better than what you want to do.

All the popular vote encourages is politicians to fight over all the cuck states besides Texas which will always be red.

In other words, you don't think tens of millions of peoples vote should matter. In which case why should yours?

Cause you live in Cuckafornia and hate Drumpf?

>A country is made only of people
Fuck off faggot it's also made of lands and resources that fags in liberal urban shitholes consume and benefit from.

>electoral college specifically designed so that smaller states are weighted higher
>OMG GUISE MY VOTE COUNTS MORE IN WYOMING!!!

The point is only 563,000 people live in Wyoming (an area that's about as big as Italy), so the few people who do live there have a vote that counts for much more than say, a Californian's or Floridian's vote would count for, because of the electoral votes being disproportionate to the state's actual population in relation to all the other states.

REPUBLICANS NEED TO BE GENOCIDED

They need to get rid of the backwards electoral college and replace it with a fair democratic popular vote.

IT WAS HER FUCKING TURN.

You have exactly as much influence as you deserve relative to your population.

What are you complaining about? What you really want is for rural states and areas to have no influence. Just come out and say it.

> How fucked up is the electoral college?

Do you know how fucked shit would be without it?

Are you even aware of the scale of bullshit going on in elections right now?

judicialwatch.org/document-archive/nvra-letter-ca-august-2017/

>For example, we contacted Los Angeles County directly this past June. At that time, county officials informed us that the total number of registered voters now stands at a number that is a whopping 144% of the total number of resident citizens of voting age.

You should move to Wyoming then, so your vote counts more.

>fucked

Based Wyoming

Get fucked commiefornia

>How fucked up is the electoral college?

It's working just fine

Unironically will do this when I have means to survive no job market

If the presidential vote is not weighted through the electoral college, the big states run the country. NY and Cali ARE every election. Everyone else is unrepresented.

The electoral college was the smartest logistical thing the Founders did in the Constitution, and has worked out well.

What you want is 51% of the country deciding the outcome for the other 49%. That's a democracy..... We are not a democracy. Don't try to "fix" a system you don't understand.

Looks pretty good to me. Urban retards are literally brain damaged. The lack of personal space has caused this, regardless of how you manage to go on living in a disgusting, degenerate manner. The founding fathers were pretty damn smart to design a system to to compensate this. But they also had ample evidence from hsitory. Cities disconnected from a rural heartland always go insane. Man is a political animal, but the polis more than just a city!

You have to remember that a great many people in this country want us to become The United States of New York and California, which is exactly what you'd have if we ever went straight popular vote. At which time, even having a vote would be pointless.
Congratulations, commies! Democracy destroyed! Just what you wanted.

Washington D.C. shouldn't be able to vote.

As they should, you urban retard. You can't be trusted to run a government.

Admit it, you don't even like being an American. You'd trait US citizenship for EU citizenship in a heartbeat, you commie shithead.

The system is going to remain the same, if you don't like it, get out or get purged.

Every state should get one vote
DC should get none

>fucking hypocrites
truer words have never been spoken...

It works out, because urbanite degenerates are trying their darndest to run the country into the ground at breakneck speeds, so the less influence they have, the better.

If DC shouldn't be able to vote, neither should territories.

Hilarious that you have to make an entire post that is nothing but a strawman just to vent your rage at parts of the country you dislike.

.... because when determining the fate of the rancher in Oklahoma, the farmer in Kansas, the fisherman in Florida, or the factory worker in Ohio, we should leave the big political decisions to a bunch of out-of-work actors, illegal aliens, and baristas in Southern California.
Goodness knows they have their finger on the pulse of the heartland.

they cant now

Bullshit...every state gets two electoral votes because of statehood (2 senators) Wyoming only gets 1 vote based on its population.

The point is it's not a democracy you fuck...

I love stupid voters that worry about national elections that have little to no impact in their lives. I go to vote at local elections and it's fucking empty. I'm so happy stupid voters only vote for president. They probably don't even know there are other elections. The ones that actually matter.

You're fucking retarded my man. This system runs on a state level. Do you think that, for example, all of New York State is just one giant city full of liberals? Thanks to this idiotic system, it might as well be. Most of the state is red on a county level, but it doesn't mean shit in the end since, under this system, the entire state is represented by NYC. The same goes for lots of other "blue states". Texas is on the brink of becoming a blue state because of the liberal influence from its major cities, and, given enough time, the very same could happen to any state. And when it does, have fun knowing that your vote if absolutely fucking worthless.

>mfw my vote matters more than anyone elses

I love living in Jurassic Park

feelsgoodman.jpg

You don't even know what "strawman" means, you urban retard. I wasn't misrepresenting your position, I was insulting you and explaining why you aren't qualified to run a country (brain damage, lack of loyalty masquerading as "cosmopolitanism"). I notice you didn't actually explain why you love America, and why anyone should trust your opinion on the direction of America. Because you have none. You don't like being an American one fucking bit, and just want a government that will give you more gibs. Get out, you fucking leech.

>the ground should have voting rights

>that your vote if absolutely fucking worthless.
every vote for the losing side is worthless
whats difference does it make if it is at the state or federal level?

wait, what does this graphic mean?

why are states with smaller numbers drawn bigger? how should I think about the relative areas of the states?

sure, give control to places like commiefornia with millions of illegal spics voting and using tax payer funded healthcare. faggot

we are a union of 50 states not 300 million people

>jurassic park

nah friendo

It's not about population. It's about making it fair for all states to influence the elections.

Stop posting you drooling retard, you're posting absolute nonsense and embarrassing yourself. I'm not an "urbanite", I don't hate America, and I'm not a Liberal. These are things that your retardation conjured up because you're a dipshit.

Preferably only those owning ground would vote, yes.

They're the only ones with an actual stake in the country.

This might be the most retarded thing I have seen on Sup Forums in 2 hours.

Well here my dude, I don't like the current electoral system due to its susceptibility to gerrymandering and the fact that my vote is worthless. I like living in America because I have a rights that I would not have in A LOT of other countries, as well as the fact that quality of life in general is pretty great.

>has a confederate flag
>doesnt care about the sovereignty of states

People in different counties within the same state are forced to be represented by a few counties that happen to be the most populated. Like I mentioned in another post, Texas is on its way to becoming a blue state because of its liberals in Austin etc. At that point, you're just pissing your votes away while the most populated centers of the state dictate the entirety of your state's opinion. If the argument is "muh representation", the electoral college puts, at best, a band-aid on a gaping wound.

>so the few people who do live there have a vote that counts for much more than say, a Californian's or Floridian's vote would count for,
Wow...the thought processes of the poorly educated. Scary...

Where is this lol

gerrymandering has nothing to do with the electoral college

kawaii, you can do an ATV tour through where it was filmed

>I'm not an "urbanite"

Yes you fucking are. Post population density or quit larping, faggot.

>I don't hate America

I never said you did, I said you don't care about this country, and you don't. There is nothing you like about being an American. You are not at all invested in America, you just want a government to give you more stuff.

>I'm not a Liberal.

You might as well, but fine, you're a RINO.

So it's almost exactly like the popular vote? No thanks.

Are you serious? You don't think there are distinct cultural attitudes and practices between, say, Texas and Minnesota, or Hawaii and New Jersey? Even the words we use for stuff like soda (pop, coke) or an Interstate highway (freeway, turnpike) are different.

That's why it's based on the electoral college and not the popular vote you idiot

Are you fucking retarded? The states with 3 votes have the least votes able for a state. The ONLY disproportionate votes come from 3 vote states

It doesn't, though, because the fact that one vote in california is worth less than one in Wyoming doesn't mean shit when California has 18 times the electoral clout and thus can potentially decide the election.

Go read The Heart Of Europe and come back when you have a basic understanding of societal Corporatism.

And? I agree with the electoral college system 100%, you fuck.

Europeans are extremely ignorant when it comes to anything to do with America. They get all of their info from (((hollywood))).

>They need to get rid of the backwards electoral college and replace it with a fair democratic popular vote.
Like the campaign wouldn't have been done differently if the goal was different. Candidates would campaign completely differently if they had to win the popular vote. You are drawing a false conclusion-Clinton would have won if the popular vote mattered, but that's the logic of a simpleton and the election most likely would have turned out the same. You mom still would have lost.

>5,463.5 people per square mile
>tfw intelligent city person

subrural retards btfo

lol

>This system runs on a state level.

Yeah, no fucking shit. Because we're a collection of states. You seem to have the idea that we're a single state with singular needs and ideals. We use federalism for a reason: because our country is fucking huge. Direct democracy works on a smaller level, but when you've got 300,000,000 people living in completely different environments with different problems and politics. While that problem might exist on some level in - for example - Germany, it's multiplied by a factor of 28 if you go by landmass. We have people that live on the beach, in the mountains, in the forest, on islands, in the tundra, in the desert. People that live so close together there's no getting away from the sound of your neighbors, and so closely you'd have to drive a few hours just to see them. People that have been here since the 1600s, and people that just got their citizenship last year. People from literally every race, religion, creed and color.

And those divisions most commonly happen on a geographic level. Tennessee does not have the same problems as Alaska. California does not have the same problems as Nebraska. But all of those states have their problems and concerns addressed at a federal level, often through the President. If we were just judging it on population, Rhode Island might as well be on their own, while California and New York will be all the President panders to during his election, and will see a lot more attention so he can get re-elected. Our electoral system is by no means perfect, but I haven't got a better method, because popular vote sure isn't it.

?????

The physical electors should be cut out, but other than that it's fine.
The US is a union of states, not a single state. Each member of that union deserves equal representation.

What the fuck would it even accomplish you mouth-drooling retard? I don't have to prove shit to some anonymous faggot on the interbutts, and I could just as easily lie about it. You're not even worth my time one way or the other.

See a liberal can never say something as simple as that, because they hate American freedoms. And I wouldn't necessarily defend everything about American elections, but I won't argue them against fucking liberals. Traitor scum can just get out.

I just explaining it, chill out.