When are we going to start using these?

Look how simple it is. Why are we still using imperial?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N3bEh-PEk1g
youtube.com/watch?v=EUpwa0je6_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use metric every day.

Just work in science or the military, faggot.

>rebels against britain with help of french
>doesn't use the french's metric system, uses british system
really fires my neurons

construction unfortunately

it's almost like these systems were in place before the rebellion

Learn fractions you fucking retards, god damn. There is literally no reason an American should not be fluent with the imperial system.

Using metric for science or other such things is acceptable, but Jesus Christ lad shut the fuck up

Converting between kilograms and grams is not important. Why? Do you care how many kilograms a paperclip weighs? Whatever unit is used, it's sized for the application. If a tank is weighed in tons, do I really care how much that would be in pounds? Or ounces? Why?

We're still mates, right Dad?

>before the rebellion
So remove it along with the brits

>construction

Heh, yeah, you're fucked dude.

we will be using imperial to the death, even if it's in name and we secretly use metric for all things important

The imperial system is a statement. It is a giant middle finger to the rest of the world and we are damn proud of it

>Converting between kilograms and grams is not important.

You're a fucking idiot.

> Do you care how many kilograms a paperclip weighs?
You may well need this at some point.

Design and construction of things becomes easier with the use of metric, and yes, people go up and down scales to suit units to equations all the fucking time you numpty.

>Hand me that 5.08x10.16 and those 7.62 wood screws please, oh and could you grab .35 liters of wood glue?

Is that really what you want?

>Design and construction of things becomes easier with the use of metric

What's the radius of a circle with a circumference of one kilometer?

It's not that bad when it's only one unit but when someone says he's 5 feet 9 inches tall or something like that I get the urge to beat him with a metric ruler.

Metric is annoying as fuck. Half the time the x1000 and the /1000 names overlap. Millimetre? Kilometre? Just sheer faggotry.
Imperial is just plain superior as the measurements all make sense in day to day life. 6ft is pretty tall. 5ft is pretty short. 1 pint is a good amount of beer. 10 stone is for women or faggots without a trace of muscle. 15 stone means you are carrying too much weight or you're a bodybuilder while 20 stone means you are a fat fuck that has trouble getting out of bed. 1 mile means a 15 minute journey on foot while 10 miles means you should really consider taking a car if you want to get there any time soon.

Also I really want to know how metric faggots get through the day without killing themselves when literally every second is measured in imperial? You wont use your precious kiloseconds but instead cling to the god given minutes, hours and days.

Structural engineer here.

It would be:

>100DP x 50 Timbers
on our drawings

I can't believe you're retarded enough to think that 1.6mm or 0.8mm is an achievable tolerance for timber.

You're mentally deficient.

>about 20 ounces of x
what the fuck does this even mean
just say 500 milliliters or something jesus christ

most people i know, know how to use both its not really a big deal

OP is a commie faggot

(500/pi) metres

I'm not sure what irrational numbers have to do with metric vs. imperial, but I suspect you might be retarded.

What the fuck are you talking about

It was centimeters dude

Use your fucking brain and you'd see I was talking about a 2"x4" and 3" wood screws

>It is a giant middle finger to the rest of the world and we are damn proud of it
>implying the entire world hasn't already been using imperial.

Enjoy living in the iron ages nigger. Perhaps one day you will be able to build a mudhut for yourself.

Why don't you become /hybrid/ master race? There is no reason to adhere to only one system of measurement.

All those things only make sense to you because you are used to it. To me 1,8m is pretty tall and 1,6m is pretty short, 1 liter is a good amount of beer and so on.

>1 minute.
Just say 0.6 centiseconds or something Jesus Christ.

The Utah state constitution originally mandated the metric system be used in the state, that got repealed though cause we officially part of murica now.

The imperial connection coincides with music and rythym. When learning the imperial system and fractions you learn the subdivisions of music as well. whole note, 1/2 note, 1/4 note, 1/8th note etc.

12 Iches in a foot, 12 notes in an octave.
there are commonalities all throughout that ease the mind into seeing more than just numbers and be open to learning music at a faster pace and vice versa.

we use both imperial or metric, depending on the job

Officially it will always be imperial. But again that doesn't mean we can't use metric when we need to

Construction units are millimeters, not centimeters.

100 x 50 = 2"x4"

Both of which are nominal sizes,

i.e. 2"x4" aren't actually exactly 2"x4", so what makes you think that timbers would be described as 10.16cm x 5.08cm?

Idiot.

You don't know this but the problem with this system is the kilogram is based on a literal object

My cock is 24.13 cm happy now?

Probably never. It would mean the whole infrastructure of your enormous country would have to be redone. Trains and train tracks, building materials like I beams, screws, tools, road signs and do you probably cars as well )etc. It's just not worth it. Sure, I think that metric system is superior to to imperial but it's just not worth the hassle

>americans confusing cm and mm again.

God I fucked that last bit up
>and probably cars as well

>I'm not sure what irrational numbers have to do with metric vs. imperial

Of course you're not.
22/7 you mong.

>do I really care how much that would be in pounds? Or ounces? Why?
If you add some cargo and passengers you might care how much your vehicles now weighs.

Have fun converting 2 gross 6 gallon water bottles into tons in your head.

I use metric in medical works every day. I prefer Imperial when dealing with distance and temperature as they both make more sense in a big picture.

Huge difference between 75 and 82 F, whereas 32 avd 33 C don't show the scope.

Petroleum industry

>temperature
I understand distance, I often use imperial at work but fuck me, I will never understand how F makes more sense than C. But whatever works for you, I guess

I hope this is bait.
Do you even know what an irrational number is?

How the hell is the difference between 1° C important in everyday life?

Have fun converting 176 minutes into hours in your head.

>> Do you care how many kilograms a paperclip weighs?
>You may well need this at some point.

Give me one reason.

Are you telling me your thermometers doesn't showth tenths of a centigrade, and therefore not just 32.5 C?

Well in America we use inches and feet so excuse me, snowflake. IDGAF what bongs do, but OP should quit bitching and embrace imperial units.

You meant a circumference of 2km, not 1km.

also, your approximation of pi is shitty, and has nothing to do with imperial vs metric.
pi isn't redefined for the metric system

You're literally retarded.

Nothing is stopping people from saying 5.75 ft instead of 5'9"

Since you mentioned length...

There's 12 inches in a foot. This is a much more useful than 10 divisions. It's evenly divisible by 2, 3, and 4. Unfortunately, humans have 10 fingers, so we're stuck with a base 10 number system. A base 12 would have been more useful. The Babylonians used 60 for time probably because it so easy to subdivide rather than 100. Same for angles.

Making sure units cancel in equations.

I do it all the time, not specifically with paperclips, but soil densities are in g/cm^3 and can easily be converted to kg/m^3 for weight calcs.

A 72 degree day, I'll wear pants. A 85 degree day, I'll wear shorts.
32.5 sounds no different than 32 to me.
It makes no sense scientifically or medically. It works better for temperature, IMO.

>Do you even know what an irrational number is?
Do you even know what the real world is?
Everything we build is only an approximation; the more time and money spent, the closer that approximation comes to the theoretical perfect measurement.

2 hours 56 minutes. 2 lots of sixty is 120 leaving 56 to make 176.

That was too easy but I'm not really sure how it relates given that we don't use a 10 hour clock or a 100 minute hour.

Can you recall in a instant how many pounds of water in a gallon and multiply that by some other large number?

I find remembering and multiply by 10, 100 or 1000 virtually every time much easier.

For reference

>Metric:
1,000mm = 1m
1,000m = 1km
1 cubic cm = 1ml
1000ml = 1l
1,000l = 1kl
1,000g = 1kg
1,000kg = 1t
(1,000ml water weighs 1kg)
1 cubic m = 1,000l
1 hectare = 1,000 sqm

>Imperial:
12 inches = 1 foot
36 inches = 1 yard
1,760 yards = 1 mile
5,280 feet = 1 mile
16 ounces = 1 pound
128 fluid ounces = gallon
2,000 pounds = 1 ton
1 acre = 43,560 sq feet
1 acre = 4,840 sq yards

The weight of the cargo and passengers would be a consistent unit like pounds. I wouldn't need to convert.

BTW, what's to stop me from weighing things in "kilo" pounds? (1 ton = 2 kilopounds, so the relative size is similar and I don't need to use metric bullshit to get units that are reasonable.)

>the more time and money spent, the closer that approximation comes to the theoretical perfect measurement
Americans actually believe this about irrational numbers.

You just defended imperial. If you were a true metric user you would use kiloseconds.

The US already officially uses the metric system.

You didn't answer my request. Give an example why I would need to know how many kilograms a paperclip weighs.

i like this pic

>BTW, what's to stop me from weighing things in "kilo" pounds? (1 ton = 2 kilopounds, so the relative size is similar and I don't need to use metric bullshit to get units that are reasonable.)
Nothing. Do it if you think it will help.

>You meant a circumference of 2km, not 1km.
No.
I meant exactly what I wrote.

Why don't you go ahead and explain how metric is more accurate than imperial?
Is it tied to a universal constant? (when it was created, not a bullshit retcon)
Or, as I suspect, is it just another measurement created by people?

Imperial is no more accurate than metric, but it does have the advantage of not being limited to base10 for practical use.
Your answer of 500/pi meters was correct. Now, go create a perfect circle in the real world with those exact dimensions.
I think you'll find it no more possible using metric than imperial.

Calculating the material required for x number of paperclips.

Your material comes in tonnes, or more likely kg, convert weight of one paperclip into kg and divide one by the other and you're done.

And? What's the point? Imperial isn't linear. Converting is more difficult, but who cares? If I want to measure a room, it's going to be in feet. I'm never going to need to know how many miles long my room is. Conversely, I'm never going to care how many feet it is between my home and my workplace. Ease of conversion is overrated.

>implying scientists don't already use this

>implying anyone besides scientists matters

>I am retarded so I win!

if 1 kilogram = 1000 grams is easier for you than 16 oz = 1lb, it's because you're a brainlet.

>Why don't you go ahead and explain how metric is more accurate than imperial?

I never said this. Why would I explain it?

>I think you'll find it no more possible using metric than imperial.
who said it was more possible with one over the other?

I'm not sure if you're trolling, but I didn't say it was more accurate, I just said it was easier - mainly because conversion between weights/mass/length/volume is far simpler.

I'm sorry about your inability to read, but that has nothing to do with Imperial vs Metric.

kys

Quite funny since the largest Jewish population outside of Israel lives in the US and not by much.
5.4 million jews in US vs 6.2 million jews in Israel.
The jewish population in the US is larger than the entire white population of Norway.

>The jewish population in the US is larger than the entire white population of Norway.
Give it a decade and the same will be true for the US.

>A 72 degree day, I'll wear pants. A 85 degree day, I'll wear shorts.
That's 22°C and 29°C respectively, a difference of 7. When is the difference between 32°C and 33°C important?
Definitely a shorts day.

What will be true for the US? It is already true for the US.

0 celsius is freezing point of water, 100 celsius is boiling point.

The number X tons of metal = Y paperclips is a known amount. The paperclip manufacturer may need to know how many tons of metal to buy, but they don't care about the weight of the individual paperclip in "pico-tons" to estimate how many tons they will need.

He's doing the >America >White bait meme.

Because impeareal = impeach

>Trains and train tracks
Most of the world uses the Standard gauge which is defined as 1435mm in every country except the US where it's defined as 4ft 8½inches
Literally the same standard, the US is just being special snowflakes.

Besides, the imperial system is defined by the metric, so everything is technically already in metric. Just written in dumb.

take the imperial units conversion mental arithmetic test
it's fun i promise*
>*fun is subjective

Base 16 is superior for division of product. Half of a pound is 8 oz. Half of that is 4 oz. Half of that is 2 oz. Half of that is 1 oz. Do that with metric and you get into fractions real quick.

22/7 is perfectly fine you giant retard.

each paperclip weighs 2g

How many paperclips will 10t of steel wire make?

Because we are victims of British Colonialism.

As such, we measure OP's faggotry in pounds.

wow, what a unique and interesting topic.

>Sweden Yes
>DMY
Sweden is one of the few countries that use the non-retarded YMD, aka ISO 8601, for dates.

kek

24 is also pretty great because it divides by 12, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1. Probably why its uses for hours in the day.

The Large Hadron Collider is 17mi / 27km in circumference approx.

Are you telling me that 22/7 would suffice for construction at that scale?

You'd be 11 metres ~ 33ft out if you were calculating material requirements.

>32.5 sounds no different than 32 to me.
>I use metric in medical works every day.
I hope you aren't in charge of people's health.

5 million

EVERY AMERICAN IN THIS THREAD

youtube.com/watch?v=N3bEh-PEk1g

A pint's a pound the world around.

>Being this retarded.

mcgregor is gonna get BLACKED

EVERY AMERICAN IN THIS THREAD
youtube.com/watch?v=EUpwa0je6_Y

Says the guy who measures his day in hours.

>Is it tied to a universal constant? (when it was created, not a bullshit retcon)

Kek, so fuck SI units right? It's all a retcon game. We'll just use whatever units were in use when a universal constant it discovered. Totally makes sense. This is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen posted here.

wow u bilt the large hadron collider?

The same reason we still drive on the left side of the road, unlike most of the planet.

It's too much hassle to change it

>non moon landing units of measurement
rofl