USS John McCain Collision

8 1/2 year Navy vet here (STG) wondering how the hell our ships keep getting crashed into in 7th Fleet. I was reading an article today about civvie GPS/autopilot getting spoofed/hacked by foreign actors. Anyone know anything about this? I know AIS can be faked, but beyond that I'm unaware of the vulnerabilities of merchant autopilot. WTF is going on?!? This has to be more than just bad watch standing. I've been through the Straits of Malacca and navigation is taken pretty seriously.

>put a bunch of 18-22 yr old kiddos on deck
>officer on deck is some pasty kid that graduated OCS a month ago

gee I wonder

It's stuxnet on a ship no doubt. They should have kept it a secret until the shooting started, but the Trump bait was just too dank.

>be floating target
>decide that's too hard and ram into something else instead

Hearsay from people I know at the Port of Singapore Authority(PSA) is that the destroyer didn't have its AIS turned on so stop it from being tracked as well as most of its lights turned off. It was 5.42 AM so it was dark. Of course the oil tanker would have been lit up brilliantly so how the sentry didn't see it coming from kilometers away is unknown. Or how both ships didn't detect each other with radar.

>putting a fresh graduate in charge if a destroyer
I don't think even the US is that retarded

What's to say this isn't becoming a thing due to *ahem*?

already been discussed on 4/pol/ heres the thread:

It's because 90% of people in this country, including the military, are lead drinking retards.

ty satan, OP read thru the thread and connect the dots
The happening has already begun, not sure when it will get hot.

>how both ships didn't see each other on radar
I believe the Burke has a reduced radar cross section from certain angles. Not a stealth ship by any means, but enough to spoof a merchant radar? Maybe.

Can someone confirm or call me an idiot?

>the Australian Army hasn't lost over 50 men in the entire war in Afghanistan
>The 7th Fleet alone has already lost 17 men through naval traffic accidents in the last 8 months

lmao how do you even miss a huge container ship like nigga open your eyes

I don't give a fuck about N Korea or chemical weapons...this is specifically a Navy/maritime issue for this thread.

This is a US destroyer that tried to take on the might of an Australian carrier well before GPS

Ship specific systems should be closed circuit. If there is a way to remotely access steering with no manual override....I'd be pretty surprised. Sounds like BS to me, like the time the pilot crashed the B2 on takeoff in Guam and blamed it on "moister" in the electronics. Anyone familiar with that aircraft (or really any advanced airframe in general) knows that was a lie to cover for pilot error.

>like the time the pilot crashed the B2 on takeoff in Guam and blamed it on "moister" in the electronics.
but that did happen

>Next happens to an aircraft Carrier
check them

Here is your reason, bitches

>Chinese Hacking
>Captain Shaneequa Lopez-Washington.

Pick one

>I have no idea what was being said or what an officer of the deck is

Generally speaking the pasty new kid is the Conn, it takes at least 6 months underway to become OOD.

From the images of the ship it looks like the tanker hit it from the side, but maybe it's stealth tech was too advanced for an oil tanker even with its entire length exposed to radar. But even then a ship crammed with hundreds of millions of dollars worth of tracking equipment doesn't detect an oil tanker.

It was a hack - the backup navigation controls are entirely independent of the main controls, precisely for this reason.

Either a coincidence or foreign actor, most likely the second.

> This has to be more than just bad watch standing. .
Nope.
US.. Always with the blame game.
Lose an election: blame the Ruskies
Negligence in navigation: look for "someone" to blame. Maybe the Ruskies again ? Maybe China?
Can't possibly be US at fault???

>merchant autopilot

>Generally speaking the pasty new kid is the Conn, it takes at least 6 months underway to become OOD.

Sure, but what the fuck was the entire CIC watch team doing? Typically the TAO is not a butterbar.

But user...
We're the best!
So suck it

EMCOM is the word

>EMCOM is the word
I think you mean "EMCON".

>USS John McCain
>Collides with merchant
You can not make this up.

STGSN here, still in school. Advice for a pleb?

To be fair it's been years

Pick a rack away from the bulkhead

>Pick a rack away from the bulkhead

No shit, these days. We were bulshitting about sleeping topside in class the other day.

Do you like analysis? If so, go to IUSS/SURTASS if you can get it. That was my first command. It's fucking awesome, compared to destroyer life. If you go there, get your pin and ESWS so you can go to a DDG with your pins as an E-5 and not get all the shit an E-3 gets. If you are a maintenance guy you are pretty much fucked.

OR. Now hear me out....

our fleet os being half run by mulattos and mestizos that cant pass the basic air force navigation/iq battery but yet somehow are given control of more expensive ships

the only reason they CAN hack us is that our armed forces electronic security teams LITERALLY have an affirmative action program

>our fleet os being half run by mulattos and mestizos

I think you are thinking of Supply/Admin/Engineering departments. We don't let those fuckers have clearances, so they don't get the good jobs.

I'm a tech. Rolling from ops to maintenance class next week, shit's going to suck. I got to be TAD at a hovercraft unit for a while, wish I'd picked that community somehow.

Have fun being a work center sup and cranking. Are you A/V-15?

Ex QM here; nothing in the navigation system for USN is hackable without overcoming an airgap, and even then that's not what would have caused this. The Nav systems don't integrate like that

This was a massive failure in situational awareness

You don't really need a clearance to be the guy whose supposed to see the fuckhuge ship that's about to hit you. Add to that one chucklefuck not paying attention to radar, or emcon...

Its because the navy is filled with niggers and spics with a sub 90 IQ

Yup, shit looks pretty good as far as ops.

no. electronic security and counter security literally has affirmative action programs. its why you lost un ukraine. the russians have several decentralized commands and can readily adapt. it also helps hat their teams are all whitr with probably a few central asians of most eastern descent

america is fucked.

people have been waening for years american fleets are outdated. now theyre outdated AND being piloted by cavemen

>You don't really need a clearance to be the guy whose supposed to see the fuckhuge ship that's about to hit you.

Agreed. But you know the old joke about how many sailors does it take to prevent a ship-to-ship collision. Between the aft lookout (who, let's face it, was most likely asleep), CIC, bridge watch standers, and whoever happened to be topside smoking at the time, this SHOULD have been averted. Fuck, how did the OSS operator not see it coming?

Chinese microwave tech

1) scatter the waves
2) ????

The red warning flags were being waived years ago about lowering qualification standards and retention practices. The USN has been mismanaged into a check-in-the-box culture.

this. this is why the dmv and veterans healthcare sucks. its where the government shoved 90% of its quota hires so that the fbi and cia dont gey "fucked up"

niggers and spics in thr forces are causing this. theyve ruined several federal depts so far, infamously so

US ships playing chicken with much larger heavier cargo carriers who don't take them seriously.

Secret weapons have no deterrence value. They're trying to insinuate that they can afford to reveal their cyberweapon now because they have more up their sleeves.

Time is on their side, the longer they spook the US out of committing the more islands they can build and the more likely that America destroys itself in the meantime.

You know damn well those watchstanders are fucking off, as always.

It had some glaring flaws that I didn't like, but some features are good. If you want money, go to 7th Fleet. The liberty sucks there and there is a possibility of getting nuked if Little Kim gets a wild hair up his ass, but life is a trade off. Hawaii is slightly less money, but you are actually on quasi-U.S. soil and so there are less restrictions. Hawaii sucks though...filled with subhuman natives, shitty laws, and the Pineapple Fleet is completely fucked (also they don't give two fucks about ASW there).

My advice: do your 6 years and get out HONORABLY and use your G.I. Bill and veteran's status for all it's worth. DO NOT SEPARATE WITHOUT FILING A VA DISABILITY CLAIM THROUGH THE DAV!!!!

this kind of shit is impossible to explain to normies

normies think "juat make a beyter checklist" because they are idiots. when you explain to them that no checklist is ever good enough, thry say its just your like, opinion man

I was at least considering a shore tour, but if six and done is the right answer I guess that's it. What if I'm not disabled?

>McCain somehow finds a way to kill more sailors a couple of weeks after the 50th anniversary of the last 134 he killed
What did he mean by this?

great. more welfare for people that couldnt hack a basic worthless college class

i am so excited

>What if I'm not disabled?

DO NOT SEPARATE WITHOUT FILING A VA DISABILITY CLAIM THROUGH THE DAV!!!!

Seriously, you take your (paper copy) medical record and mental health record (if you go to Hawaii, you will have one for sure) to your local DAV and they go through it page by page and pick out anything that you could remotely claim. They take care of everything. You go to a few medical appointments for verification and then you get your results. Even if you get a 0% rating, you are still technically a disabled vet. Anything above 30% opens a world of doors for you (like Voc Rehab). Plus, if any of your conditions get worse down the line (which, they will), you can always get your rating reevaluated and potentially upgraded. I got 70% (an extra 16k per year, tax free) and between that and my G.I. Bill BAH I can go to school full time and not NEED to work. I have a buddy who just got upgraded to 80% and got $18k prorated back pay from the time he got out.

I say again: DO NOT SEPARATE WITHOUT FILING A VA DISABILITY CLAIM THROUGH THE DAV!!!!

underrated

And what branch did you serve in?

day of the rope

>being this big of a leech

I got shot while in the Navy, had to have my shoulder reconstructed, and it's all fine but I still refuse to stoop this low.

I deliberately did not; specifically because I wanted to go straight back into federal work.
>Don't disable yourself for sheckels.

i served in the u.s.s. highest fucking tax bracket paying for you 90 iq scum that cant steer a ship straight

if the forces dont do their job they shouldnt get paid. none of you are in any danger.

Still acting like a patriot

He's the same kind of autist who links 3 hour YT videos with comments like this.

>I got shot while in the Navy, had to have my shoulder reconstructed, and it's all fine but I still refuse to stoop this low.

>I deliberately did not; specifically because I wanted to go straight back into federal work.
>>Don't disable yourself for sheckels.

IMHO, veterans earn every benefit they get when they are out. To not take advantage of what is offered is foolishness. If I had my way, our government would be like Starship Toopers and only veterans would be able to vote and be a citizen. I sacrificed my prime youth for the military, so I'll take any leg up on the civvies I can get as I go out to make my way in the world.

There's using the benefits you need, and then there's fraud. It's not offered to you if you aren't disabled, you are lying to get free money.

Selective availability disabled as a form of corporate welfare, and to enable our enemies using commercial receivers. Only military receivers have selective availability discrimination, security key for authenticity must be embedded there, must be used. This has been going on for a good while. Remember the RQ-170 that was spoofed to land in Iran. Coalition of foreign actors engaged in hostile acts, and vulnerability testing. My spider sense is also telling me this will trace back to Awans.

How did we ever get here ? Time to quit speaking softly, and start swinging the big stick.

military vets in america mostly dont fight, are mostly dumv as rocks, and are vastly overpaid for their jobs

you arent the only one who lost their youth to work, but youre the only self obsessed asshole vain enough with enough cuktural support to whine about it

by exploiting disability you are making sure that the people who need itDONT get it. you should be thrown in prison for fraud. fuck you.

>but I still refuse to stoop this low.

As an aside, I did not give myself this rating (nor did I expect to get rated anywhere near this high), the VA did. I filed my paperwork through the proper channels and let the chips fall where they may. Such is life. I'm a firm believer in, "You break it, you buy it". If the military breaks a human being (in any way), then they are responsible for paying for it. You have to pay to play, and people aren't free.

In what way did they break you?

>There's using the benefits you need, and then there's fraud. It's not offered to you if you aren't disabled, you are lying to get free money.

>138701386

if you expect pay, you dont deserve your honor as a vet. the benefits are lavish because we expect you to be honorable. if you are neither, you are a crimInal, and you get a rope.

i bet youre a spic

faggots like you are the cops that got the people in cville hurt. you would shoot at nazis but collaborate with niggers

get fucked

>There's using the benefits you need, and then there's fraud. It's not offered to you if you aren't disabled, you are lying to get free money.

Sorry, forgot how to link. See previous response:

How did they break you? I know a guy who fucked his back up on his own time, then blamed it on a parachute jump.

If I had my way, our government would be like Starship Toopers and only veterans would be able to vote and be a citizen. I sacrificed my prime youth for the military, so I'll take any leg up on the civvies I can get as I go out to make my way in the world.

You joined for all the wrong reasons. You want to game the system now, like the absolutely gross numbers that are claiming disabilities. Lets be clear, everyone getting fraud benefits deprives legit vets, and screws everyone. I hear douchebags brag about it, and how they can stack income on top. No different morally than fags that want to join for sex surgery. Completely dishonorable.

Lol, clearly you weren't listening when I said that I expected nothing. I filled out the forms and submitted them. I was surprised when my actual rating came back. Sure, I can sit here now after it is all said and done, but at the time I had no idea how things would turn out. It's amazing that some people get so butthurt about this, but such is life I suppose.

we need to strip them of all assets and possibly kill them

late stage imperial grift has been stopped before. not often, but it has. it usually involves killing all parties invokved

>deprives legit vets

I didn't realize a VA rep was in here. I'm glad we have someone who is actually an arbiter of claims to enlighten us on who exactly is worthy of receiving what.

we are butthurt because hard working white people are getting taxed to the point of homelessness to pay for you fags

you thibnk you wont die when the conflict breaks out?

a serviceman that isnt killing niggers is worthless

Again, in what way are you disabled? Are you actually impaired in any way?

>I hear douchebags brag about it, and how they can stack income on top. No different morally than fags that want to join for sex surgery. Completely dishonorable.

You sound positively Liberal, especially you know precisely jack shit about me or my specific circumstances. I was merely giving advice who to someone who is just starting out in the circus, in contrast to most NCOs and fucking JOs that they will meet who will be more concerned with making board or their FITREP to give sound life advice. There is a life outside the military, and there is no better time to prepare for it than while you are still in.

buck up and join the Marines while you still have time.

>we are butthurt because hard working white people are getting taxed to the point of homelessness to pay for you fags

And who did you guys vote into office that started all the fucking brush fires around the world in the first place?!? You don't want to pay for service members when the leave the service? Fine, stop creating wars that call for massive increases in enlistments. We have been run by globalist Liberals and Dems for decades. And you think the blame is somewhere other than those who voted them into office? That's laughable. If you really want to afford to actually take care of service members AND veterans, how about cutting the pork programs that do nothing but make the military contractors rich. A good start would be the LCS, DDG-1000, and the F-35. But that is too obvious, I suppose....easier to take it out of the pockets of the people who are actually serving.

Chinks have EW capabilities now so they are jamming/hacking our nav to fuck with us. We can do the same btw.

The decision to halt operations came down from the DNI. There is something up.
Not that I dont agree with you on problems always being blamed on anyting but the actual cause around here.
It really is possible china is at the root of this one. GPS nav has been spoofable and jamable for a while now.
Again nobody knows for sure yet whats going on in the public sphere. But if it were basic level retardation the DNI wouldn't have advised them halt operations in the area.
Two of our most powerful guided missile destroyers that operate in chinas back yard are not out of the game for sometime.
The chinks are crafty motherfuckers and do not like having these ships in what they consider their back yard.

Post-Stark hit, they've put RAM coating on warships to deceive weak radars (as found on missiles, and commercial ships will come under this).

Lookouts probably saw it too late or their warnings weren't listened to by helm.

F35 is now cheaper than expected and is dominating 4th gen fighters. 17 to 1 kill ratio in red flag just this year.

>Again, in what way are you disabled? Are you actually impaired in any way?

Yes, I am. When I listed my rating, I wasn't doing it to brag. I was doing it to illustrate the importance of doing due diligence and taking care of your own life. Nobody else in the military is going to take a more active interest in a service member's life and career than that particular service member. It is up to them to make sure their records are in order, their shit is squared away, and they have dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts.

ITS THE CHINKS AND THEIR SNEAKY CHINKSHIT

THEY WANT TO CAUSE ANY DENIABLE BAD PRESS FOR THE US NAVY IN THE PACIFIC

DONT TAKE THE CHINKS LIGHTLY, CHINKS ARE THE REAL GLOBAL THREAT
CHINKS MUST ALL BE EXTERMINATED LIKE THE INSECT PEOPLE THEY ARE

SINK THE CHINKS

Weak, pussified Clinton/Bush/Obama military forgot how to do anything without advanced technology, even basic shit like stellar navigation.

Honestly, we're pretty fucked if we got into a real fight and all our gadgets stopped working. What the fuck would a platoon of soldiers do if they couldn't rely on immediate artillery or air support in this day and age?

Mattis needs to reintegrate true fighting spirit and fighting skills into our men.

I know nothing but I can tell you this regardless:

It's Israelis. It's always goddamn fucking Israelis.

>F35 is now cheaper than expected and is dominating 4th gen fighters. 17 to 1 kill ratio in red flag just this year.

Yeah, OK. Problem is it has far less range, payload, and stealth than the F-22, which was cancelled so we could start work on the utter POS that is the F-35. The F-35 makes the CVN irrelevance problem WORSE because, especially with this plane, carriers have to get well with range of ASCMs and ASBMs just to launch their planes. You don't need VTOL on a fighter/air superiority plane. Period. We have specialization in platforms for good reason.

Why are you dodging the question, in what way are you disabled?

Paying off merchantmen massive funds to "make a mistake", is plausible.

That's a type of asymmetrical warfare that's very plausible.

Even if hacked, shouldnt there be some people watching out?

>8 years of Obama destroying Military leadership, moral, and filling it with faggots and trannys

Wow I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

You can't tell me it wasn't an inside job. Boomer cucks were asleep a the wheel

Why do that when we can have some stunning and brave transgeners instead

>Why are you dodging the question, in what way are you disabled?

If you were willing to make a determination about my character and service based on zero information about me, then I owe you precisely NOTHING in the way of explanation. If the benefits I have EARNED as a result of my honorable service bother you, then that's unfortunate. It wouldn't matter how many conditions I list, you are the sort to find some way to marginalize or trivialize them.

I was making E-6 pay sitting in an air conditioned space on a ship, and I got paid the same base pay as an E-6 getting shot at in the sand box. That's the way it goes. Take some personal responsibility and own up to your own fucking decisions (or lack thereof). You got shot, and you didn't file a claim. That's on you. So that means everyone who didn't get shot who files a claim and gets a rating is committing fraud? OK.

So, whiny deflecting blog post aside, in what way are you disabled?

Adding, yeah I was shot, and I did some dangerous shit in the Navy. But in no way am I impaired/disabled.

>Weak, pussified Clinton/Bush/Obama military forgot how to do anything without advanced technology, even basic shit like stellar navigation.

Good point. I'm not sure they even practice stellar navigation routinely. Everyone knows that the first things to to go out in a modern conflict are satellites and comms. Ships on their own are fucked without that tether.