Catholic Books

I am soon to start the RCIA program and I am looking to get some good Catholic books to read.

I know I need a Catechism, I was also looking into City of God, and some Irenaeus or the Didache. Can anyone offer any input?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/St-Athanasius-Life-Anthony-ebook/dp/B003ES5RP8
newadvent.org/fathers/2811.htm
amazon.com/Philokalia-Complete-Compiled-Nikodimos-Markarios/dp/0571130135
amazon.com/Against-Heresies-Irenaeus/dp/163174061X
amazon.com/Writings-St-Clement-Rome/dp/1500456772
earlychristianwritings.com/1clement.html
amazon.com/St-Ignatius-Antioch-Epistles/dp/1478123206
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=3836
vaticancatholic.com/catholicchurch/outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation/
papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9quanta.htm
amazon.com/gp/product/080103468X/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
olvrc.com/reference/documents/Penny.Catechism.pdf
amazon.com/Retractations-Fathers-Church-Patristic/dp/0813209706
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Feeney
fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/
papalencyclicals.net/pius09/p9syll.htm
m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13E0E3AA92A1BCC1#
amazon.co.uk/Fundamentals-Catholic-Dogma-Ludwig-Ott/dp/0895550091
amazon.com/Michael-Casey/e/B001IO9TAE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1503523313&sr=8-1
youtu.be/isskmxLG28k
divinumofficium.com
noahide.com/yeshu.htm
noahide.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump for based american

Have you read the Bible?

I would recommend confessions by St. Augustine or Jacques Maritain Three reformers: Luther, Descartes, Rousseau some Chesterton works and quanta cura.

amazon.com/St-Athanasius-Life-Anthony-ebook/dp/B003ES5RP8
Free: newadvent.org/fathers/2811.htm
amazon.com/Philokalia-Complete-Compiled-Nikodimos-Markarios/dp/0571130135

Important: amazon.com/Against-Heresies-Irenaeus/dp/163174061X

St. Clement of Rome (born in 96)
amazon.com/Writings-St-Clement-Rome/dp/1500456772
Free: earlychristianwritings.com/1clement.html

St. Ignatius of Antioch(born in 35)
amazon.com/St-Ignatius-Antioch-Epistles/dp/1478123206
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=3836

Also here it is and crucial info
vaticancatholic.com/catholicchurch/outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation/

papalencyclicals.net/Pius09/p9quanta.htm

Yes i have read the bible.

thank you, i was looking at Against Herises and was alsot thinking about this?

amazon.com/gp/product/080103468X/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

thank you for this

Get into metaphysics too. Edward Feser's works are great. His book on Aquinas and The Last Superstition are must reads.

I forgot some points:

>I know I need a Catechism
The Penny Catechism is pretty good
olvrc.com/reference/documents/Penny.Catechism.pdf

>City of God
Also good but St. Augustine retracted some of his views later in his life in and published in the book Retractions
amazon.com/Retractations-Fathers-Church-Patristic/dp/0813209706

Also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Feeney

Feeney was a hero and an amazing priest.
fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/
I'm not familiar with this but it looks ok.
> RCIA program
I wouldn't recommend it. People there are heretics and members of the Vatican II sect.

This and Syllabus are one of the most important documents of the past 200 years
papalencyclicals.net/pius09/p9syll.htm

Beware the (((protestant))) heresies.

Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, Sess. 8, Nov. 22, 1439:
>Whoever wishes to be saved, needs above all to hold the Catholic faith; unless each one preserves this whole and inviolate, he will without a doubt perish in eternity.– But the Catholic faith is this, that we worship one God in the Trinity, and the Trinity in unity; neither confounding the persons, nor dividing the substance; for there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, another of the Holy Spirit, their glory is equal, their majesty co eternal…and in this Trinity there is nothing first or later, nothing greater or less, but all three persons are coeternal and coequal with one another, so that in every respect, as has already been said above, both unity in Trinity, and Trinity in unity must be worshipped. Therefore let him who wishes to be saved, think thus concerning the Trinity.

Are my books bad or something?

Thank you, that was beautiful

Ahhh, no problem, I've make a mistake Sir.

Catholicism has been a Jewish entity since "Saint" Augustine had Jewish orgies, reversed 300 years of anti-Judaism teachings from the Vatican and opened the doors for CryptoJews/Donmëh to infiltrate the Vatican culminating in the invention of Islam just 2 centuries later.

"

In Augustine and the Jews, Prof. Paula Fredriksen of Boston University describes the development of St. Augustine's views concerning the Jews and how they contrasted with the Christian views of the first four centuries. But this book is so much more. Fredriksen has given us a magisterial tome that consolidates the best of modern historical and patristic scholarship; moreover, she gives us a unique and comprehensive view of how the original Christian Adversus Iudaeos apologetic developed. She then shows in detail how St. Augustine came to some very different conclusions and arrived at a rationale that saw Judaism in a much more positive light"

No you are more than fine, finding a quality copy of the Three Reformers will be hard, but it looks worth it

Don't bother they never listen, and if they do they don't believe either way. I've tried so many times I've deemed it hopeless at this point. They are decieved and willingly so. They wouldn't listen even if jesus himself showed up in their threads and started preaching.

Gotta try bro.

RCIA is bluepilled. If you are already baptized talk to an SSPX or FSSP priest and informally catechize.

>Can anyone offer any input?
>>>

Yes. priest here. when the priest slips his hand in your shorts just act like it's normal, because it is. We can talk to water and it becomes holy water, so what we do in your pants is nothing in comparison.

Go with the flow, my son, and in no time at all you will be slipping your hand into the trousers of little boys.

Isn't it important to be in communion with the Pope?

Recommended Christian books, by Sup Forums and 16/2chan. Feel free to recommend additions to the list on Catholic or Christian Generals.

>GENERAL

The Bible (Ignatius Study Bible Recommended)
The catechism of your denomination

>accepted English versions of Bible

NABRE
Douay Rheims
RSV

>THEOLOGY

>novice

Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
The Last Superstition by Edward Feser
The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
Mere Christianity
CATHOLICISM by Robert Barron
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
Outlines of Moral Theology by Francis J. Connell

>intermediate

Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser
God: His Existence and His Nature by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
Natural Theology by Bernard Boedder
The Spirit of Medieval Philosophy by Etienne Gilson
Against Heresies
City of God
Christianity for Modern Pagans
The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church

>advanced

Apologia Pro Vita Sua
Summa Contra Gentiles
Summa Theologiae
On the Incarnation
The Didache
Divine Names by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite

>SPIRITUAL LIFE

>novice

The Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
Story of a Soul by St. Therese
The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose
Nihilism - Fr Seraphim Rose

part 1

>((((Catholicism))))

I commend you and your efforts. You seem to put a lot of effort into it as well so who am I to say it won't work really.

Read the catechism first and foremost OP. Welcome to the Church and Vio Con Dios

part 2/2

>intermediate

The Interior Castle
Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius
Dialogues by St. Catherine of Sienna
True Devotion to Mary
True Devotion to the Holy Spirit

>advanced

The Cloud of Unknowing
The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross
The Desert Fathers
The Philokalia
The Ladder of Divine Ascent
New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis

>MEMETICS

Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World by Rene Girard
I See Satan Fall Like Lightning by Rene Girard

>HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL

Rome Sweet Home
The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day
After Virtue
Christendom I: Founding of Christendom
Theology and Social Theory by John Millbank
Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy by Bernard Williams
Life of St.Anthony by Saint Athanasius
Life of St Francis of Assisi by Saint Bonaventure
Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyol
The Formation of Christendom by Christopher Dawson
The Dividing of Christendom by Christoper Dawson

>FICTION

Don Quixote
Diary of a Country Priest
The Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Silence by Shusaku Endo
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Faust
Les Miserables
The Canterbury Tales
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Brothers Karamazov
A Man for All Seasons
The Pillars of the Earth
The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
Lord of the World
Parzifal
Joseph of Arimathea: A Romance of the Grail
The Arthurian Cycle
Quo Vadis

>communion with the Pope?
>>>

well that's really dope because the pope gets memos direct from god, like when god says FUCKING OOPS WE WERE WRONG FOR THE LAST 2000 YEARS ABOUT SUCH-AND-SUCH, but in general if you are in the catholic hierarchy you get to use your own power to molest as many young boys as you like.

>he bought into jewish south park-tier "le catholics are pedos" narrative
top kek

Can anyone elaborate more on this?

Why do people fall for the Catholic meme? All the satanic imagery they use should make you think maybe they are not christian???

Guess not.

Just lick a nigger's feet, be gay and worship statues. It's the Catholic way.

lol I don't know about croatia but in the usa it's like every 10 years OH MY GOD PRIESTS FUCK ALTAR BOYS THIS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, every 10 years or so, like clockwork.

Keep calm and ask Mary for salvation bro xD

Whatever you do, do NOT read the Bible

Summa Theologica.

Also don't forget that even atheists and fags will go to heaven.

>all this shitposting and bullshit
>at work and can't take the time to respond back

Wish I could believe in Catholicism desu :'(

What do you mean, you wish you could?

One day brother

Walter veith spits a lot of uncomfortable truths about catholicism and its symbology as well as its ties to islam, look him up.

I mean thats pretty much it. Saint Augustine fucked it all up. Now the Pope sits on a throne of blasphemous teachings, and if he is not the Jew making them, he is surrounded by a Council of Jews who do.

There are MAJOR negativr connotations attached to the Catholic Church, and they are all for DISGUSTING incidents and doctrines. There are Negative connotations attached to Southern Baptists, but unless they are about Israel, none are contrary to the Bible itself. (Except I believe we should NOT kill homosexuals, and that Leviticus refers to a spiritual death and "blood" means kin. They should be exiled if they refuse to go through Shock Therapy)

I'm unironically stuck in an existential crisis and it makes me struggle to connect with anything. I know I'd be much happier if I could just submit to a higher power and find meaning by attempting to live a virtuous life, and finding comfort when I'm suffering by turning to God and knowing that there is a plan for me. It would be nice to have that level of faith, but if you don't believe in something you just don't believe in it. I'm an agnostic rather than a full-on atheist, but that doesn't really help me either.

I was in your shoes just 8 months ago.

If you really care, please spend 10 hours of your life. Watch every episode of CSE 101. It talks about many things, including Communism. You will walk away with open eyes in many ways.

m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13E0E3AA92A1BCC1#

if you are agnostic you are one step ahead. You must remain patient and have faith little by little.

Always be grateful for everything that happen in your life. Everything that happens have a cause. And the meaning of it will come in time. You just have to be patient.

(It's wrong.)

John 14:28 You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I.

Is it important to be in communion with the devil?

Only two books, nay, three, that a papist should read.

1. The bible.
2. The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop; and
3. A Woman Rides the Beast by Dave Hunt.

If you want to add literally anything by Malachi Martin, be my guest.

these threads fill up with shills very quick

SO FUCKING DO IT

FUCKING JUMP

(Pardon my French.)

How can you not believe in Catholicism? It's a religion, headed by the pope, centered in Rome, all of which are verifiable.

Believing in Catholicism is easy.

Believing in Christianity is much more difficult.

If not already mentioned, be sure to get the Catholic Ott:

amazon.co.uk/Fundamentals-Catholic-Dogma-Ludwig-Ott/dp/0895550091

One is true and one is false. Which would you rather believe?

>WOLFSHIEM
Excellent list. Please also consider the following by Michael Casey

Towards God
Sacred Reading
Living In The Truth

amazon.com/Michael-Casey/e/B001IO9TAE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1503523313&sr=8-1

I worship the truth.

Always a safe bet I'm with you bro.

Also easy on the memory.

Two more books for you user:

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis De Sales

Both books are Catholic in nature but any Christian can get a good read from them.
Check out anything by G.K. Chesterston. Even his fiction is pretty good such as the Father Brown series.
Finally, any book by Bishop Fulton Sheen is great.

Check out a writer named Joseph Pearce - he was a major figure i British neo-nazism in the 1970s then had a conversion event and is now an educator living in the US:

Race with the Devil: My Journey from Racial Hatred to Rational Love

PC has crashed 4 times while I've tried to reply, had to resort to phoneposting

I try to keep an open mind, but I don't think I could be persuaded by any argument for Bible literalism or creationism. I can definitely accept the Bible as a blueprint for a virtuous life, but the same is probably true for holy books in other faiths (although I'm less familiar with these).

Maybe, I'm not sure. I struggle to answer why I should believe in Christianity rather than other faiths, or Catholicism rather than other denominations. Catholicism would be comfy because it's how I was raised, but I can't see any logical reason to believe in it as opposed to something else. At present, if I did become religious I think my views would be closer to some sort of Buddhist/Gnostic approach where I can appreciate the common wisdom across different religions without necessarily believing any one completely. But that won't help my existential problem too much unfortunately, because it's little better than agnosticism.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Islam is a religion too, it has religious leaders, it has Mecca, etc, but I'm guessing you don't think I would become one of them. Why the leap of faith for Catholicism in particular?

I've been wanting to get more into my faith through reading the patristic works and foundational texts. Should i learn Latin or Greek?

Youre not being objective, therefore youre not being scientific, therefore youre not being intellectual.

You have learned Evolution your entire life, yet know nothing abkut the arguements of Creationism other than loose memories of Sunday School.

You are either misguided or a troll(asking us to make.you a Muslim, gtfo). Waste 10 hours of your life and learn shit you dont already know. Watch CSE 101.

Bring it with you to RCIA

To be a protestant, one must believe that God was lying to his people for at least 1500 years, and that Christ's ministry was not made manifestly apparent until some time and place in 16th Century Germany.

Wrong. God Preserved His Word. The Catholic Church took liberties upon themselves to make doctrines in direct contrast to the Word.

Lemme break this down real quick:
"Saint" Augustine was a sexually immoral pervert who had Jewish orgies. He, out of "guilt", reversed 300 years of Anti-Judaism from Catholic teachings. This allowes for an influx of CryptoJews/Donmëh into the seminary, eventually into higher seats of power. They did not take long to start making moves.
youtu.be/isskmxLG28k

Evolution can be observed happening over generations of mice in a lab. Why wouldn't it occur in humans too?

True, I've had that reservation about Protestantism myself. From what I understand though, some other denominators (maybe orthodox? I forget) think that Catholicism is a politicised and perverted form of the religion, and includes things that Christ did not even mention.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You are a troll. Probably a Jew. Or actually believe this. This is called micro-Evolution. A variation within a kind.

This is not argued by any creationist, but it also has no carry-over to proving abiogenesis, cosmic evolution, or macro-evolution. Watch the series, this is pissing me off. You're on the cusp of it all and you love your sin(Pride in your "knowledge") more than seeking God.

"The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas à Kempis
Christian hagiography (Vitae, Acta martyrum, miracula)
I strongly recommend the Breviary and for morning and evening prayers. Here's latin version if you want:
divinumofficium.com

I am not a troll or a Jew or a Muslim, just someone trying to find faith. That's just one argument for evolution, I'm sure there are plenty others too. Isn't it the official position of the Catholic Church that evolution is correct, and the creation myth is more allegorical?

I won't be able to watch the series tonight as it's late and I have work tomorrow, but I'll try to find time to try at least the first one.

Fucking this. Jesus (the Logos) and the Holy Spirit (the Pneuma) are ""created"" beings. I use created very, very loosely, a better word would probably be derivative from the Father; Jesus and the Holy Spirit are beings of a collection of characteristics derived from the Father. Their existence was necessary for the creation and continuation of the universe, so they are eternal compared to us (to our universe: they were necessary for the beginning and will be here until the end and possibly beyond), but they are not eternal in the same sense that the Father is. One could make the argument that since they were derived from the Father, they are technically eternal but just not independently eternal, but that seems like splitting hairs in my opinion.

>Wrong. God Preserved His Word. The Catholic Church took liberties upon themselves to make doctrines in direct contrast to the Word.
it is only Catholic tradition that has the authority to tell anyone - Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox or whatever - that the Bible is the word of God.

i.e Unbroken apostolic succession.

"Summa Theologica" by Aquinas

Make time. I'm not Catholic. Make-fucking-time. Do you think anything is more important if God is real?

>"Only the Catholic Church says the Bible is God's word"

Are you a giant fucking Jew? Doesnt the BIBLE say THUS SAYETH THE LORD.

st. Bridget of sweeden pdf
>a mirror to your soul

>Are you a giant fucking Jew? Doesnt the BIBLE say THUS SAYETH THE LORD.
And who told you the Bible was a reliable document whose contents should be considered as Sacred?

The Catholic Church did!

Begome ordodox

In my opinion, Biblical literalism and creationism are silly, but necessary. Why? Because a religion must appeal to many people, which means appealing on many levels, i.e. the literal, the metaphorical/allegorical, the symbolic. If someone can't understand the metaphorical, then them believing it literally still saves them. But if some intelligent man has trouble believing the literal, it is still possible to be saved by believing the allegory. Most of the Bible has been interpreted allegorically for thousands of years, pretty much the only part that was consistently taken literally was the resurrection of Jesus Christ as that was viewed as the primary cause of Christianity and seems to be evidenced by the explosion in early Christianity and the willing martyrdom of Christ's followers. Regardless, biblical literalism has only been around since the late 1800s and was a response to liberal theology. Believing that the Bible was inspired by God doesn't mean you can't believe in evolution and the Big Bang, if anything they complement each other. Until the 1950s physicists assumed that the universe was static and eternal, and this was taken as a refutation of God. However, when the evidence came about that the universe was not eternal, that it had a beginning, physicists had no idea how to explain it (and still don't), and this was taken as evidence of a supernatural beginning. It's funny how evidence that was once seen as incontrovertible proof of creation ex nihilo is now lorded over theists' heads as some sort of proof to the contrary, when in reality absolutely nothing has changed.

Did you miss the part where post-4th Century AD Catholicism was hijacked by Donmëh/CryptoJews?

The Church(simply was Catholicism was known as) encompassed followers/witnesses of the Disciples. Has nothing to do with your satanic, unBiblical ZOG industrial complex.

This poster is literally a Jew. Dont listen Brit-user.

I most certainly am not, Jews are a cancerous, Satanic plague, leeches that only exist due to the kindness of Christians, a kindness which I hope will soon end. Why do you say that, nazibro?

Nisi Latine legis, nihil legis.

City of God is a good choice; was thinking of picking this up myself, but still slogging through Confessions. Didache is also good. A good bedside catechism is Credo, Fr. Andrew Pinsent and Marcus Holden. Some contemporary titles and authors I've read or am reading:
>The Truth is out there (graphic novel), Amadeus
>Catholic Christianity and Handbook of Christian Apologetics, Peter Kreeft
>Mere Christianity, CS Lewis
>Jesus of Nazareth, Benedict XVI
>Letters to a Young Catholic, George Weigel
>Orthodoxy, GK Chesterton

>

I had a great book it was very large was called the collected works of St. John of The Cross

The followers of Christ and the enemies of Christ agree on one thing: pre-Ressurection Miracles.

The Talmud (Babylonian edition) records other sins of 'Jesus the Nazarene':

1) He and his disciples practiced sorcery and black magic, led Jews astray into idolatry, and were sponsored by foreign, gentile powers for the purpose of subverting Jewish worship (Sanhedrin 43a).

2) He was sexually immoral, worshipped statues of stone (a brick is mentioned), was cut off from the Jewish people for his wickedness, and refused to repent (Sanhedrin 107b; Sotah 47a).

3) He learned witchcraft in Egypt and, to perform miracles, used procedures that involved cutting his flesh, which is also explicitly banned in the Bible (Shabbos 104b).

End quote from noahide.com/yeshu.htm (Lubavitch website) June 20, 2000.

[Note: we have printed and preserved in our files a hard copy of this statement from the Lubavitch"Noah's Covenant Website," as it appeared on their website at noahide.com on June 20, 2000, in the event that denials are later issued and the statement itself suppressed].

So now, 2000 years later, has abiogenesis-based ((((science))) rationalized black magic? Raising the dead, healing the blind, healing multitudes, feeding multitudes, walking on water? That part is literally true and so is the rest.

Yes, it is, but center your practice around personal devotion, prayer and study and do not get caught up in the papal/clerical crap. Also, you are going to hear a lot of stupid shit on this board.

>Introduction to Christianity by Joseph Ratzinger
This is a good one. Also My Imitation of Christ by Thomas aKempis; I've got the pocket version from Confraternity of Precious Blood and read a page or two almost daily.

>The Formation of Christendom by Christopher Dawson
>The Dividing of Christendom by Christoper Dawson
Excellent recommendation; Dawson is really overlooked. Founding of Christendom is also really good. Great recommendations user.

>Breviary and for morning and evening prayers
This; got a Baronius edition, but you can get a used 1963 edition cheaper.

This is technically true, the Catholic Church was founded by Christ who tasked Peter with carrying on the holy tradition. That tradition was what was used as a reference for compiling the Holy Bible, i.e. what was in congruence with dogma vs what was anathema to it. However, it seems clear that the Catholic Church has lost its way: similar to a game of telephone, traditions passed on can alter and change with time until they no longer resemble what was intended. That was the whole point of compiling the Bible in the first place, to serve as a reference should tradition change. That was what Martin Luther saw, and why he attempted to reform the Church. The problem is taking tradition without scripture (Catholic/orthodox), or scripture without tradition (many sects of Protestants). You need both, and they should be consonant and complementary.