Houston Flooding Always Hits Poor, Non-White Neighborhoods Hardest

Houston Flooding Always Hits Poor, Non-White Neighborhoods Hardest

Harvey's floodwaters run thick with petrochemicals in some communities, the result of unbridled industry, Wild West regulations and environmental racism.

Ramit Plushnick-Masti woke just after 4:30 a.m. Sunday to find water seeping into the bathroom. She ran to the sunroom that faces her backyard and discovered water already 5 inches deep. Out front, a brown river sloshed from the street to her doorstep.

She roused her three young sons and began frantically moving rugs, photo albums and electronics to dry surfaces. At 7:30 a.m., she called 911. But hours later, no one came.

“They were backed up pretty badly,” Plushnick-Masti, 42, a communications director at the Houston Forensic Science Center, told HuffPost by phone later that evening. “But by about 10, it was clear that it was going to be catastrophic.”

She began posting on Facebook and texting friends, and found out her local rabbi was sending a boat around to pick up stranded people in need of rescue. The family of five threw laptops, cellphones, chargers, a few pairs of pants and some T-shirts into garbage bags and waited, perched on the kitchen counter, water lapping just inches below.

“It was cold, it was nasty, it was brown,” Plushnick-Masti said from a makeshift shelter a church, where the electricity was out. “The water was so powerful.”

Hurricane Harvey, the strongest storm to make landfall in the United States in nearly a decade, brought on Plushnick-Masti’s fourth flood since moving to Houston in 2010 ― and the second one that’s caused damage to her home. But it’s the first time she’s been forced to flee by boat. She lives in Meyerland, southwest of the city’s center. The neighborhood is predominantly middle class, and roughly two-thirds of the population is white, according to censusdata.

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.ca/entry/houston-harvey-environmental-justice_us_59a41c90e4b06d67e3390993
archive.is/RSGVb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

huffingtonpost.ca/entry/houston-harvey-environmental-justice_us_59a41c90e4b06d67e3390993

Poor people tend to live in the least desirable locations you say? Sad!

Remember to archive archive.is/RSGVb

It hit plenty of decent Suberbs and white people were fleeing their homes as well. The only difference is whites drive out with vehicles and stay in hotels and others are too poor and have to stay in shelters.

>Huffpost: colored people look like subhumans next to whites.
HUFFPOST, NO!

Can confirm. Floodwaters started seeping under my door, but when I opened it and the flood saw my white skin and gold watch it retreated.

The most important thing you can do for the white race is keep your own life in order. Start with yourself. You must be competent, reliable, hardworking, and, above all, happy. Do people in your life trust and respect you? What does your family think of you? Are you capable of raising children? Racial politics doesn't have to be the only factor of your life. And if you can't achieve such things for your self, then the chances are very high that you are not ready to be a political activist, either online or in real life. Because how can you make a difference for the race, for the lives of many, if you can't even make anything of your own, individual life? How can you make a real difference in society, when the greatest extent of your capacity is to be out-organized by jews on social media?

Always remember: we live in first world countries and have opportunity that most people born on this planet do not. Things aren't as good for us as they were for our parents. But billions of people in the third world would still kill to have the opportunities that you do right now. So take care of yourself! Work your ass off, everyday, to build a good life for you, and for your family. Clear your mind of self destructive thoughts, and keep yourself focused on realistic goals. Work hard, but also do fun and wholesome things with real people in real life. That is very important. Nothing on the internet should ever take away from your real life

>ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM

These hurricanes are fucking cis bigots.

I've been posting this sort of shit as bait on Twitter for the last two days and it always pisses people off.

Pay to rebuild similar to what was destroyed. If the minorities are in cheaper neighborhoods, they end up back in the same place, same as a white person would.

This is not an excuse to upend the social order or ranking within the Houston areas, but to put people back in roughly similar housing, if they are insured.

Are they implying brown water is worse than clear water? What a bunch of bigots!

why do people think natural disasters are supposed to be comfy?
oh wait, that's right, it's 2017! i mean, come on!

Can we trick Antifa into trying to punch hurricanes and getting killed by flying debris?

>why do people think natural disasters are supposed to be comfy?
but why natural disaster hits poor non-white neighborhood??

They don't. That's the funniest part about this poorly written activist "news" article.

So does Captain Obvious expect the wealthy trade houses with the welfare queens or what?

that's the beauty of it. Nothing is more racist than the free and open market.

>things aren't as good for us as they were for our parents
We live in the Information Age! They didn't. I'll concede that some aspects of life aren't as good, but the internet is a major plus that I think outweighs the bad. I'm open to arguments.
I have family in Houston (Humble, on the outskirts). They're fine, just waiting out the rain.

I am family in Humble, we're fine, and we're waiting out the rain. It's funny to me that I may know you or someone you're related to.

You can probably trick them into moving into those areas in sympathy for the upcoming victims the next time around. With any luck they'll drown or get shot.

>environmental racism

We should spread the money out so everybody is poor and subject to environmental racism. It's only fair to hold everybody back instead if letting the resourceful thrive and maybe provide solutions to these problems. But what do I know, a poor, ignorant Nazi?

Is Hurricane Harvey, dare I say it, /our guy/?

Stop being poor, then.

But when they do, it's called gentrification and likewise condemned by the the progressive vanguard the likes of huff post and vox.

wow, almost like these niggers didnt know for two weeks ahead of time that this was going to be a problem

>(((Kaufman)))

We'll duh. The rent in areas prone to flooding, like next to drainage ditches, is cheap. That's why it always hit the poor first. That's where they live.

What is the fucking point of this article? Are they trying to imply that mother nature is racist? What kind of insane loon do you have to be to eat this drivel up and believe it? Does the left have literally anything to offer in terms of ideas? This is the best they have? That a storm is racist? Man these people are so out of touch it's mind numbing.

HOL UP

>Meteor to wipe out all life on Earth, women and minorities most affected

Only unironically.

>petrochemicals in the water is 'unbridled industry'
>wild west regulation
Does this kike power is home and car on smugness alone? Also would have thought some oil slicks might happen during a flood at a major oil port and in a city with 10's of thousands of submerged vehicles

Yep

>mother nature is racist

>it was cold, it was nasty, it was brown
Was she talking about the water or her chillunz?

>it was cold, it was nasty, it was brown

Could be talking about London, Birmingham or Manchester there

Trapped by 5 inches of water.

>huffpoo
>(((Kaufman)))
>environmental racism
>her local rabbi
yep

Even mother nature hates niggers.