Earliest translation of the bible implies it is to be taken allegorically rather than as truth

Earliest translation of the bible implies it is to be taken allegorically rather than as truth

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/dont-take-bible-literally-says-scholar-brought-light-earliest/

Christfags ABSOLUTELY BTFO

But seriously, i think we could see a big increase of interest in christianity if religious folks accepted the fact that it's a guide book, not a biography.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/dont-take-bible-literally-says-scholar-brought-light-earliest/
creationmuseum.org/
degruyter.com/downloadpdf/books/9783110516371/9783110516371-005/9783110516371-005.pdf
verber.com/mark/xian/weight-of-glory.pdf
samizdat.qc.ca/vc/pdfs/MereChristianity_CSL.pdf
noahide.com/yeshu.htm
noahide.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Don't take the bible literally

no shit.

>says (((scholar)))

Glory to FSM

>Hey look go I mean guys! We found a version of the bible that says not to take it seriously!
>See, christ clearly never existed and you Christians better start listening to use!
I wonder who could be behind this...

Read the article it doesn't give evidence for anything at all.

Basicly SAGE 0/10 kys

>telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/dont-take-bible-literally-says-scholar-brought-light-earliest/

2017 almost at the second comming and now god tells us its not literal ?

>allegory vs true
Allegories ARE truth. The opposite of an allegory is not truth, the opposite of an allegory is Literal.

This is nonesense. Objectivism is a modernist value. Ancient people didn't care about whether or not it "really happened". Largely because there were very few ways to prove something did. They understood that he value in stories was the allegory within them. They were holy because of their message, not because it totally happened for real guys.

This concept is even difficult for modern historians. The middle ages was rife with letters sent between clergy through the heart of Europe. Letters were the high speed internet of the day. You'd think we'd have a lot of first hand historical facts then, right? No. Clergy were more than happy to engage in hyperbole and tell miraculous tales. And this wasn't looked down upon.The closest thing you and I could probably come close to understanding this is meme magic and Sup Forums hysteria.

Real Christians (Catholics) already believe this you retarded fuck.

Really? You're going to blame it on (((them)))?

You know (((Jesus Christ))) was a LITERAL Jew?

And go ahead and tell me where in the article it disputes the existance of Christ?

Something can be a metaphor and still be true. Full biblical literalism has ALWAYS been a fringe concept.

>Full biblical literalism has ALWAYS been a fringe concept.
if you don't take the bible literally, you're basically a nigger.

This is why you dont let your faith fall into the hands of retarded, backwater, snakedancing American protestant fringe cults

Not really, being moderate and pandering will not get the church anywhere as it looses them respect. It was one of the key reasons I became an atheist, I saw it as an institution with evil morals but it was not even competent enough to keep true to them. Plus the endless pandering (singing pop songs instead of the ones our ancestors sung) made me loose any shred of respect for them.
To me you seem the typical anime nonce, right wing untill the tone changes from"pakis out" to "Impore yourself by stop being a nonce" as you are inherently unhappy with your life, but repress this with irony and telling yourself you are so much intelligent than those naysayers.

A jew so hated by other jews you fucks have not gotten over the fact the goys adopted his religion

>killing your own massia

The Bible is a 1500-page set of 73 books, that were being written and edited for more than a thousand years and by multiple people. In different places it has different meanings that have been examined for as long as it exists. Thousends of people tried to disprove it once and for all and they didnt manage. It surely is the most complete piece of our history and its obvious that some things that it describes have only a poetic meaning. But in most cases it says a confirmed or at least propable historic truth.
BUT WAIT
>telegraph.co.uk says that a scholar says that one should not take the Bible 100% literally
>hurr Christ never existed hurr Christianity bad durr we are so wise and over you stupid people of religion
>religion=cancer
>delete religion and there will be peace
>religious people have IMAGINARY friends
>FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER XD XD XD
i don't even pity this bunch of edgy kids

People have been arguing about this since the time that the gospels were written. Origen said that if you found something in the scriptures that was difficult to grasp, you needed to look for a deeper meaning rather than just a plain reading of the text. Retarded modern scholars are always drudging up ancient stories like they're something new. Retards.

Oh wow, an African-born bishop followed the hermeneutic of the Alexandrian catechetical school. Color me shocked.

But seriously, everybody knows this, except maybe the one-hour-a-week Christians, and they're hardly reliable sources of Christian theology or history. And the Bible is neither a guide book nor a biography. It's a collection of books from many different genres.

If the bible was taken literally, like it should, we wouldn't have the tranny problem we have today and we could politically focus on things that matter like hmmm,uhhh, maybe the 22 vets that commit suicide every 24 hrs.

what part of earliest edition do you not understand?

>But seriously, i think we could see a big increase of interest in christianity if religious folks accepted the fact that it's a guide book, not a biography.

I barely know anybody that thinks its a biography. A lot of it is stories to teach people right from wrong or how to live your life. I swear this is the kind of shit people post when they know fuckall about fuckall.

all of it

>don't take the desert trilogy serious

>Christfags who largely already view it as allegorical BTFO

another butt hurt atheist thread. kill yourself. Or better yet wait for a Muslim to chop your fucking head off.

>earliest Latin analysis of the Bible
FUCK OFF that's not fucking earliest translation you fucking shit. Latin wasn't fucking around for the earliest versions and translations of the Bible Jesus fucking Christ fuck off. Do you even Septuagint?

It's a book of Truth. Even Jesus said he spoke in parables. And let's be honest, existence itself is a parable of spiritual truths. Dumb faggot.

>DURR LOOK HOW CLEVER I IS NO ONE ACTUALLY THINKS THE BIBLE IS REAL DURRRRR

Then why does this exist you silly bastards? creationmuseum.org/

Humans have always written fanfiction. It is only recently that they have learned that marked fictions are creatively superior to unmarked fictions.

The fact that Christians take the Bible literally is why Christians support Zionism.

Come agian????

>Christian support Zionism
WRONG

kek OP BTFO
/thread

I thought it was only Evangelicals in the States who took it literally?

It's truly a Gordian Knot. And has the same solution, too.

Tell that to retarded evangelicals.

You should restrain yourself from saying this; lest you buy yourself a one-way ticket to Hell.

Please excuse them, you know they're replying in a way meant to show off how nonchalant they were about this this whole time and how they're better than an article to impress anonymous people. Not sure what it is, maybe the contrarian mindset trying to one up anyone who even presents something they like or agree with.

based burger

>atheist "bible critics" and (((journalists))) in charge of understanding the word of God.
kek

Wonder who's behind this.

But really OP you're a fucking retard.

That's literally what the Catholics have always said

Jesus was an old Jew, you faggot. It was the nu-Jews who failed to convert to Christianity and stick with the Pharisees and shit that became the kikes we know and hate today.

I dont understand how a board centered around being redpilled. That uses scientific evidence on IQ and natural selection...

Could then turn around and still be christian. I mean the christian supporting elements on this board are just memes right?

Because Evangelicals are retards who decided that they could interpret a 1500 year old book with no historical connection to its writers and totally divorced from the interpretations of the book that had been continually held for the preceding 1500 years.

That is the most retarded joke ever invented by atheists. You can tell it was made up by an unfunny science nerd. The fucked up thing is there are plenty of funny science nerds. Where did you bastards go wrong?

Besides it isn't.

all is meaningless but the sauce
>kuvshinov ilya
i really fugin love his style, the eyes and effects he simulates really makes the difference.

/thread

It is literally impossible to be redpilled and a non-Christian

where have you been? jesus used fables and stories to get his message across. that was the standard method of teaching back in the day. no holy book is meant to be taken 100% literally.

>white nationalist
>Christcuck
Those are mutually exclusive.

Surely by now you cucks realise that christianity is a jewish scam to keep peasants from apeing out and killing the rich jewish aristocracy,

Oh no goyim i know that weve rigged the game such that youl never actually be free from debt slavery... But dont rebel,or,anything im sure good things will happen.. Just wait until u die goyim thats when the good things happen, trust me.

Who is dumb enough to fall for that lmao.

You leaves will help the lake of fire butn brighter

Then jesus created niggers your fellow man and you should,give all your stuff to them because rich people cant go to heaven...

Go on now,im waiting.

I'm glad that christianity finally admits its lies

We won. Allahu akbar brothers

The bible's truths aren't literal, but the Bible is literally true.

It's not quite historical, and not quite allegorical, but supra-historical and supra-allegorical. This is where the words "tropological" and "anagogical" come from.

> Hugh of St. Victor, in De scripturis et scriptoribus sacris, distinguished anagoge, as a kind of allegory, from simple allegory. He differentiated in the following way: in a simple allegory, an invisible action is (simply) signified or represented by a visible action; Anagoge is that "reasoning upwards" (sursum ductio), when, from the visible, the invisible action is disclosed or revealed.

Here's the PDF of the "historian's" work: degruyter.com/downloadpdf/books/9783110516371/9783110516371-005/9783110516371-005.pdf

Gonna take a look, seems interesting enough. Historian is pants on head retarded for not realizing that the Bible isn't a physical history book though, but a spiritual history book.

edgy to shit on christians t b h

they have had enough crap

I think the way they see it is that it's their memes, their culture. It doesn't really matter what's right, just that Christianity promotes their worldview and helps it last through the ages as they propel it forward through children who they desperately want to be like them. I know I'm assuming too much, but I've seen it multiple times. They see the godless lifestyle and liberal and ultimately suicidal, harmful to their way of life which is threatened by the declining white Christian population and the encroaching Muslim population.
A lot of them also feel antagonized by atheists and they don't want them to win.

>Surely by now you cucks realise that christianity is a jewish scam to keep peasants from apeing out and killing the rich jewish aristocracy
Yeah the jews surely would create a religion that calls them the synagouge of satan.

Also Christianity is the fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies you retard.

ard ▼ Settings Home
Sup Forums - Politically Incorrect

Return Catalog Bottom
Update Auto
1 new post
Post a Reply

...Anonymous (ID: LUDLCRkw)
09/01/17(Fri)00:59:18 No.139774327
5 KB
5 KB PNG
I have a question for devout Christians. If I still follow the rules and word of the Bible to the best of my abilities as an imperfect man and try to be righteous, but don't necessarily believe that Jesus was the Messiah, just a good philosopher and prophet, then what does my afterlife look like?
...Anonymous (ID: LUDLCRkw)
09/01/17(Fri)01:04:09 No.139774849
(OP) #
plz respond i need to know im so worried
...Following Jesus Christ (ID: 79Ll+afN) NZ
09/01/17(Fri)01:14:44 No.139776026
(OP) #
The gate is strait and the path is narrow. Only by faith on Christ can you be saved.

I know that sounds like mumbo jumbo as an atheist, but the idea is that without truly believing on Christ, no matter how good you are now, tragedy or time will reveal your sin. It will expound upon it.

Why don't you believe on Jesus? Thousands of witnesses. You are calling thousands liars. All the Christians who died gruesome, agonizing deaths KNEW they were not lying. Look up how the Apostles died. All some had to do was LIE for a SECOND and they wouldve escaped crucifixtion. But it was more important for them to look at that audience, at the people hoping it wasn't a magic trick, and say "He IS the Lord".

Totally serious: have you seen Passion of the Christ? This isnt a spoiler, and you'll understand if you ever watch: the entire ending with the earthquake is corroborated in OBJECTIVE, SECULAR records.

And lastly, the Jewish Talmud confirms Christs' Miracles. The enemies of Christ didnt even deny them, because if they did, the Jews they preached to would know they were lying. The rabbis said it was black magic. As you and I know, modern science has not opened the door for pragmatic ways of instantaneously healing cripples, restoring eyesight to blind and dead people.

That's a tasty red pill, sold by an Aussie too. Not something you see every day. I agree with everything you said. To add to this, i'd like to add that alex jones was right about them being vampires - but they don't feed off our blood, they feed off our consciousness.

>parables are a key part of the teachings in the Bible
>the bible contains allegories

Wow, how much do we pay these geniuses to figure this stuff out. Mind = Blown

The bible is about as spiritual and literal,as the nigger that drew a stick figure on a cave and tried to convince his friend that the stick figure will kill him if he doesnt let him fuck his wife.

Late latin study of the gospels by a moderately known church father... huh

You know there were plenty of folks who took the scriptures both literally and allegorically, and had the sense to know when one part was strictly allegorical, or when one part was strictly literal.

Just read the damn church fathers and the holy bible. sage

Also atheism is a scam. If you do not realize that the elites are pushing this meme on everybody in the west, you are blind. Look at the retarded flying speghetti monster. Do you think a normal human being came up with such a retarded joke?

Yes black people can be saved. Also rich people can go to Heaven you retard. It's jist that rich people try to work for everything instead if just accepting a gift so they are less likely to get saved

>The gate is strait and the path is narrow. Only by faith on Christ can you be saved.

>I know that sounds like mumbo jumbo as an atheist, but the idea is that without truly believing on Christ, no matter how good you are now, tragedy or time will reveal your sin. It will expound upon it.

Why don't you believe on Jesus? Thousands of witnesses. You are calling thousands liars. All the Christians who died gruesome, agonizing deaths KNEW they were not lying. Look up how the Apostles died. All some had to do was LIE for a SECOND and they wouldve escaped crucifixtion. But it was more important for them to look at that audience, at the people hoping it wasn't a magic trick, and say "He IS the Lord".

>Totally SRS: have you seen Passion of the Christ? This isnt a spoiler, and you'll understand if you ever watch: the entire ending with the earthquake is corroborated in OBJECTIVE, SECULAR records.

>And lastly, the Jewish Talmud confirms Christs' Miracles. The enemies of Christ didnt even deny them, because if they did, the Jews they preached to would know they were lying. The rabbis said it was black magic. As you and I know, modern science has not opened the door for pragmatic ways of instantaneously healing cripples, restoring eyesight to blind and raising dead people.

whos the artist of that pic? I have like two other pictures saved that are in the exact same artstyle, it's good as fuck

But is this no different to the nigger that wants to reject science because there is no nigger version of science?

No better than we were Kangs tier logic? An obsession with the past... And an obsession with ancestors that looked forward?

>latin analysis
Why should I care about the bastardised catholic versions? Only the original Greek and Hebrew please.

This is common sense. People who do take it literally are questionably retarded

Jesus is literally fake news. Get over it you goose stepping mong

This is just Modernism. Would you rather trust the oldest Biblefags (saints) or some summerfag looking at it through the lens of the degenerate Modernism?
t. actual patristics scholar

>Earliest translation of the bible implies it is to be taken allegorically rather than as truth

Holy shit... They didn't teach you that in school?

Ofcourse you can't take it literally becouse it speaks about real complicated things like existance, psychology, physics without using professional terms which didn't even exist back than.
those are metaphores simple people used to be able to understand

You didnt even read my post.

Because youre a Jew in disguise.

Or you actually deepthroat Dawkins so hard with your shiteater mouth. Dental costs out the wazoo.

American Evangelicals are literally the Goodest Goys.

Think about what the bible says:
Its easier for a camel to go through a needle than a rich man to go to heaven when he dies?

Does this sound like something a jew would say to you to basically take your money?

Turn the other cheeek?

Lmfao how can you be redpillled with this bullshit.

Look i,get it. Your ancestors were christians... But is you falling for the same shit even though you know better... Any diffferent from say the nigger refusing to learn western math and science...just because his ancestors believed in the bullshit witchdoctory and bush magic?

>then what does my afterlife look like?
Not good

John 3:36
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

It's a cultural self obsession that they see as either spiritually important or strategically important in their culture war. Notice how some will use "cultureless" as an insult.

>And lastly, the Jewish Talmud confirms Christs' Miracles.
>he still believes this shit

Also i'm not an atheist

>I am literally incapable of understanding historical context
Nice job outing yourself as a fedora, fagola

Calm down Jamal. Read this:
verber.com/mark/xian/weight-of-glory.pdf
And this:
samizdat.qc.ca/vc/pdfs/MereChristianity_CSL.pdf

Now, is it that Tolkien, Mozart, Bach, Galilei, Eccles, et cetera et cetera were all wrong, but some retard posting on a Japanese imageboard that hasn't even accomplished anything in his life has miraculously discovered the truth about life in this degenerate age?

Humble yourself. You don't know enough about Christ to be against Him. For all you know you might find all your inner sentiments mirrored in the Gospels.

sure desu

fpbp

>Its easier for a camel to go through a needle than a rich man to go to heaven when he dies?
It's someone who relies on their riches.

And again it's prophesied in the OT you retard

The only reason normies and atheists think christians take the bible litterally is that they've only known protestants. Even worse: American protestants.
>Le galileo mee-may
Galileo was already neck deep in trouble with the vatican, he could have studied dirt instead of the sun and they still would have told him to eat shit. All sailors before Galileo was even born knew the earth was round.

It's not even an edition of the Bible. What, you think there's a Latin edition somewhere with a preface saying 'hey, don't take this shit literally'? This is the earliest surviving commentary in Latin on the gospels. The only thing this clickbait article actually reveals is that even 5th century Wewuz Italians drinking out of lead pipes are smarter than Fundamentalists.

Leave it to faggot OP to not understand their own article.

see

Greek orthodox bible does not have translation. Never had never will have. As a greek i can read it just fine (although its on ancient version of greek language)

Its a fucking fairy tale you retard. You,might as well hold,up harry potter and tell,me !

Its in,fucking booknumber 1 u retard.

Sorry, I prefer using sentences to argue about topics, not comics edited from a children cartoon.

The point of the parable of the rich man isn't that being wealthy is immoral. Read the full context. When Christ said the rich can't even get into heaven, the disciples in essence said, "holy shit, if not even the rich can get into heaven, who the hell can get into heaven"? Christ's response is that no one can get into heaven by his own merit. They can only get into heaven by God.

That's the first part -- not that being rich is bad, but that NOT EVEN the rich can get into heaven by their merit.

The second part is that you need to follow Christ over worldly goods. When literally GOD tells you to give away your riches and follow Him, you better fucking follow Him.

"Give away all your things" isn't actually a commandment that Christ ever said, though. He blessed many people who had houses and possessions and even servants (like the Roman SOLDIER, who Christ said has more faith than anyone else). The point is that, if being a God-fearing man interferes with riches, then those riches are garbage.

>Turn the other cheek
Because responding with further violence when someone slaps you shows that you're weak. Christ also said to buy a sword, and that the greatest virtue is to lay down your life for your friends.

>Ignorant
>Shit-eater teeth and autistic satanist.

Pick what you are. I will only have mercy on one.

For example, on the website of the Orthodox Jewish Hasidic Lubavitch group--one of the largest in the world--we find the following statement, complete with Talmudic citations:

"The Talmud (Babylonian edition) records other sins of 'Jesus the Nazarene':

1) He and his disciples practiced sorcery and black magic, led Jews astray into idolatry, and were sponsored by foreign, gentile powers for the purpose of subverting Jewish worship (Sanhedrin 43a).

2) He was sexually immoral, worshipped statues of stone (a brick is mentioned), was cut off from the Jewish people for his wickedness, and refused to repent (Sanhedrin 107b; Sotah 47a).

3) He learned witchcraft in Egypt and, to perform miracles, used procedures that involved cutting his flesh, which is also explicitly banned in the Bible (Shabbos 104b).

End quote from noahide.com/yeshu.htm (Lubavitch website) June 20, 2000.

[Note: we have printed and preserved in our files a hard copy of this statement from the Lubavitch"Noah's Covenant Website," as it appeared on their website at noahide.com on June 20, 2000, in the event that denials are later issued and the statement itself suppressed].

Let us examine further some of these anti-Christ Talmud passages:

Gittin 57a. Says Jesus is in hell, being boiled in "hot excrement."

Sanhedrin 43a. Says Jesus ("Yeshu" and in Soncino footnote #6, Yeshu "the Nazarene") was executed because he practiced sorcery: "It is taught that on the eve of Passover Jesus was hung, and forty days before this the proclamation was made: Jesus is to be stoned to death because he has practiced sorcery and has lured the people to idolatry...He was an enticer and of such thou shalt not pity or condone."

How fucking co-incidental that all of those 'commandments' will get you robbed and left with nothing if followed literally?

I don't buy it dude.

If you'd never heard of christianity and i came to you with those things you'd tell me to fuck right off, and your scam senses would be off the charts.

I'm becoming convinced these are just an extremely effective guerilla marketing campaign by Adidas.

The Catholics take the scriptures literally too faggot. So do all orthodox Christians. You can take the scriptures literally and still comprehend when allegory is being used to teach a complex lesson. In fact the Catholic and Orthodox Christians are the ORIGINAL fundamentalists. The greatest teachers of the church were futurists and knew Christ was coming again to judge the living and the dead. They might have been duped into amillenial nonsense, but still they have some great teachers.

>Never had never will have.
Why not? Will you give it if we forget about those denbts?