Is universal basic income the future?

Is universal basic income the future?

archive.is/ZnZpL

>Is universal basic income the future?
hopefully, wageslaving is too stale of a meme for me to get into

Threadly reminder that UBI is the epitome of r-selection and r-selection is cancer to civilization. Sage goes in all fields.

>society plagued by rampant consumerism
>gubinmint give everyone free money
>even more retarded consumption
>everything goes to shit within a few years
just remember that if this actually happens, you MUST use the money and invest in gold. don't let the corporate jew tempt you

no

It's worth discussing. If automation actually takes 50% of the jobs something will have to be done

Yes UBI is coming but it isn't a lot like everyone is hoping for. You will not be given enough to buy a new TV or own a car. Expect $1,000 or less.
I look forward to the 20 hour work weeks.

>$1,000
Like per month?

Is it viable if it replaces unemployment welfare and similar?

Spend $3T/year to "grow economy by $2.5T.
Thinking.gif

That wouldn't change anything.

>50% of the jobs
There is not a fixed amount of jobs
You can create as many jobs as you want by lowering wages

no, public dividends from use of the commons are the future

>If automation actually takes 50% of the jobs
white collar jobs like stock broker are most at risk to be lost from automation

Sure, just like post scarcity and robots doing literally everything. Oh wait that's a pipe dream for mental children.

>There is not a fixed amount of jobs
Well right but you wouldn't have automation replace a job, and then create a similar job for a human.

>You can create as many jobs as you want by lowering wages
Wut

Yes monthly. It will be basic income (welfare). Universal just opens it up to include more people.
This will be good as we can remove a bunch of social assistance programs and offer just main one.

What, you're telling me we can't have fully automated luxury gay space communism?? XDD

>white collar jobs like stock broker are most at risk to be lost from automation
That's true for some things, but there's a shit load of blue collar stuff that will go too. Last thing I read about it described the jobs that will get replaced as "anything that involves repetitive physical movements and relatively low mental effort". Like truck drivers will get completely replaced.

If people were willing to serve you for free how many would you take?

The only way I can see it happening here is if it was implemented as a replacement for food stamps, public housing, medicare/medicaid, ect.

OK, how's that not going to get offset by inflation?

>If people were willing to serve you for free how many would you take?
Well yea OK, but no one will work for free or less than they need to make ends meet.

It depends on how many retards like you end up in positions of power after your balls drop. We can only hope that you faggots will learn a thing or two about economics before that happens. Otherwise, enjoy your endless inflation.

>less than they need to make ends meet
I love how all of these basic income supporters somehow thing mass automation won't cause prices for everything to plummet to near nothing

It isn't Universal is in every citizen gets it, it will go by your income. So if you earn over X dollars you get Y percent of the UBI.
We already have tons of people on welfare, so switching them onto UBI isn't going to cause too much of a difference.

I'm not a basic income supporter, Im just curious about what we would have to do with a mass automation situation

>So if you earn over X dollars you get Y percent of the UBI.
Isn't this just welfare with a different name?

Yes, it's just a stronger disincentive to work

Kinda sounds like it

Yes it is welfare. Universal just means they are opening it up to include more people. If we allow too many people to become homeless and no money, there will be roaming gangs of thieves raping and robbing everything in sight.
UBI is going to come eventually, just don't think you can upgrade your living situation when you get it.

1 post by this OP is the future.

>there will be roaming gangs of thieves raping and robbing everything in sight.
>why do you need a 30 round magazine?
Well there you go.

That's not how it works at all. If the wage is lower than equilibrium it actually has a negative effect from lack of purchasing power per capita.

t. Economist

The solution is to assist people in becoming productive and let lazy people starve or agree to voluntary sterilization.

When and if that fails and humans are truly obsolete then technology is running itself and will probably kill all humans anyway.

Maybe it will still be possible to live in the shadow of that life form like wildlife lives in our shadow not participating in it's economy. Maybe it will leave Earth for space.

Or maybe we'll bomb ourselves back into the Stone age before then and that will have been all for the best actually

People who can adapt to the changes in the workforce will have a good future. The stubborn ones who fight it will be left behind. The next 10-15 years is going to change very quickly.

no, what a stupid question

What happens to yeast allowed to grow in a jar of medium with no predators?

A 50 year old truck or taxi driver who gets replaced will be given UBI after his job is terminated. There is nothing about him being lazy in the equation.

You get flooded with economic migrants taking advantage of the situation.

He's lazy if he doesn't retrain.

>worst parts of communism
>worst parts of neoliberalism
>worst parts of capitalism

universal basic income is a meme

I don't think the masses are capable of that

Retrain for what. The amount of jobs VS the amount of citizens is out of balance. We can reduce the hours in the work week to allow more people to participate.

Also, things aren't phased out in a year. What do you want to bet that the first truck driving jobs to go will be long haul highway ones. The robots drive on nice highways across country and the humans take them into the cities and towns where the driving is hairier. There are truck driving jobs for a couple decades while tech improves. Few enter the industry - the writing being on the wall, and the oldies retire.

Yes, it's a great idea.

Of course they are not. That is why leaders capable of adapting are going to rise to the top. If you can put logic and reason above emotion, jump in as a leader and tackle the challenges that approach. Or collect some free UBI monies and smoke dat kush.

A job in the future. Made possible by situations in the future. Maybe they work maintaining warehouse bots who knows.

At some point machines will be able to do everything a human can better, but until then we can work on allowing our population to fall so we need not be so dependent on so much tech to eek out a living as a society given our resources. If there were fewer of us everyone living like the Amish would be a possibility for instance - say in the year 3000.

nope

I would love to help build a Amish type micro-city that has solar farms and produces all food needed for the community. If something like it was started I would apply and leave ASAP.

>is a slavish dependence on the government the future?
(((they))) seem to like the idea, yes

Actually nobody in this entire thread knows shit about this topic. Are you still going to argue for capitalism after every single minimum wage job in the entire country is gone? Truck drivers are gone, burger flippers, etc. Then it'll be lawyers. Then it'll be accountants and stock brokers. High ranking business managers and positions in government will be phased out at around 2030 as AGI makes computers as smart as humans. Even the fucking CEOs will be replaced some day. Will you still be calling people lazy after 85% of the populace is unemployable? 90%? Capitalism begins to break down, it just doesn't work anymore when there are so few consumers.

It's a meme, but let's see you come up with a system that works when 50% - 99% of the population is unemployable.

Question

If everyone gets money for free, then the value of money will go down right? So what's the purpose of this?

Might work in nation states

Incompatible with mass migration

My verdict: no with a but