SURPRISE: Companies Bitch About Paying Higher Wages With Less H-2Bs

archive.is/dZVZc
>President Donald Trump’s harsh criticism of immigration programs and Congress’ refusal to lift a cap on work visas meant many seasonal businesses had to hire American this summer — and pay their workers more. business groups complain increased spending on wages will ultimately cost jobs and sap company profits.

>The H-2B program requires employers to first seek out U.S. workers before they bring in guest workers. But Americans, Martin says, just won’t take landscaping jobs. He paid $2,500 for a two-week want ad that ran in the Baltimore Sun (print and online) and on social media. The jobs Martin was advertising paid more than $14 an hour, slightly above the average wage for the job in his area. Even so, he got no applicants. “No parents in Maryland are raising their kids to swing a pickax,” Martin said.

>Not everyone agrees with that view. Daniel Costa, director of immigration law and policy research at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute, said the recruitment standards for the H-2B program aren't sufficient to give U.S. workers a real crack at the job. “The requirements aren’t that onerous, and the DOL isn’t really checking all that much,” Costa said. H-2B employers are required to offer a so-called prevailing wage — defined as the average wage paid to people in a similar role in the same area — but Costa said the benchmark should be higher. A rider in a 2016 spending bill, and re-upped this year, allowed employers to use their own private wage surveys rather than DOL data to calculate prevailing wages. “There’s always some sort of loophole,” Costa said.

>If H-2B workers had skills that were hard to find in the U.S., one might expect H-2B wages to be rising faster than those of other workers. But in a recent report, Costa found the opposite: Wage growth over the past decade in 9 of the top 10 H-2B occupations was slower than wage growth for all workers, and some occupations actually lost ground.

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93364
archive.is/36VgK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Some employers say they can't raise wages substantially without pricing their products out of the market. Raz Halili is an owner of Prestige Oysters, a seafood processing outfit with operations in Louisiana and South Texas. He says he lost $3.5 million in sales this year because he got only one-third of the 150 H-2B workers he needed to shuck oysters.

>Prestige Oysters posted the H-2B worker positions at $9.64 an hour, according to data provided to the Labor Department. That's $2.39 above the state minimum wage, but $2.63 below the national 2016 average hourly wage for “meat, poultry, and fish cutters and trimmers,” according to EPI.

>EPI’s Costa disagrees with that logic. “It’s true that you can only raise [wages] so high,” he said. “I’m not saying that you should be paying $30 to $40 to people picking crabs.” But more modest increases — from $9 to $12 an hour, for instance — could bear different results, he said. “If you don’t have a business model that requires you to pay a decent wage," Costa said, "then you have to think about your business model."

>we need slaves
>americans can go fuck themselves
>gib us monies

Corporations are literally worse than niggers

>shucking oyesters all day for less than 10 dollars an hour

LOL HOLY SHIT. GO OUT OF BUSINESS FAG PLEASE

UNSCREW SOME FUCKING LIGHTBULBS AND EMPLOY AMERICANS FOR AT LEAST 12 DOLLARS YOU KIKE.

What horseshit. I remember a few years ago when I was applying for a job out of high school, there were 5 people at least competing for each minimum wage job position I went for. No one replied to a newspaper ad because no one under 30 reads newspapers.

From the article:
>But many employers say the jobs that H-2B workers perform are so miserable that few Americans would take them, even at substantially higher pay. Of oyster shucking, Prestige Oyster's Halili says, "It’s a dirty, gritty job that most people just don’t want to do. They’ll do it for a few days or they’ll do it for a week, and then they just won’t show up.”
THEN HOW ABOUT MAKING YOUR WORKING CONDITIONS LESS SHITTY OR PAYING ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE?

Oy vey now I can't afford to pay off my second house, please think of the poor starving immigrants goyim.

Fewer.

Do you really think all those faggots in Cali actually care about the immigrants themselves?

Most of the rich Dems hire illegals for mundane shit.

It's modern day slavery and human trafficking.

>pay $2,500 to run a newspaper ad that no one reads
>not just using craigslist for free
>not just asking neighborhood parents if their high school kids want to make some money

Local retard business owner wastes $2,500 and blames it on American workers. More at 11.

>business groups complain increased spending on wages will ultimately cost jobs

Yea but if they aren't jobs performed by Americans why the fuck should they care?

>and sap company profits

And there's the crux of the matter. Companies only care about their own profits, they have no motivation to feel any loyalty towards the country in which they are based.

I despise limousine liberals.

corporations are cancer if it was for them they would hire only nignogs for 2$ and hire 0 AMERICANS who demand higher paying , and some retards here on Sup Forums defend them

Why not advertise to ex-prisoners
Most of them can't get jobs because they're felons or have records, it'd be good to hook up with parole offices
Lots of these guys would work a shit job for $14/Hr

arent they getting tax cuts? stop bitching and pay up

wtf I like corporations now

These leftists are so far up their own asses they can't even notice the cognitive dissonance with their own rhetoric.

>WE NEED TO RAISE WAGES FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS
>WHO WILL PICK THE LETTUCE [for slave wages]

America is an overleveraged and failing ponzi scheme. Dr Frakenstein desperately trying to jab syringes of liquid crack cocaine into corpses from the graveyard.

Most of them are probably handy with a knife as well

That doesn't matter.

A Filipino, Mexican, Syrian refugee with work much harder than the average American worker because they have no choice or because they can put up with the BS and send money back home making bank from the currency exchange.

Must be great having people work like slaves for poor wages. People who can't say no or they would get fired and be forced to leave the country.

>A Filipino, Mexican, Syrian refugee with work much harder than the average American worker because they have no choice or because they can put up with the BS and send money back home making bank from the currency exchange.

Patently false.

abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93364

And leftist dipshits still don't realize that the main reason why corporations are for "diversity" is because of cheap labor not because they are good hearted people. Fucking idiots.

This is what I think is going to cause a big realignment in 2018 that democrats don't even realize. Once upon a time democrats used to be anti-imigration because it was the natural pro-labor position. No doubt a lot of dems in the party still consider themselves to be a classical democrat and not whatever the fuck the party is today. Theres going to be a lot of purple districts where democratic candidates are going to realize their chances are better if they ditch the sjw wing of the DNC and compete for blue collar again by shifting to the right on immigration.

They know this and do it on purpose, specifically so they can say "look, we TRIED to get Americans but nobody showed up/was qualified". Another trick they use is to create artificially high standards for the American prospects and fail them for any reason.

cant compete with immigrants willing to take 1/6 of the pay

Good. These fucking corporations have been getting away with murder for far too long. Fuck them, my boner is diamond hard with the though of these bastards having to pay finally.

corporations are evil and should be regulated to the extreme

Y'know, it's funny, cuz I heard there were people making $10 an hour to pick fruit in the 70s but I haven't heard about fruit being priced out of the market in the 70s. How's that work?

>$10.00 in 1979 had the same buying power as $35.66 in 2017

Businesses that purposely hire foreigners/illegals over Americans should be considered traitors and dealt with appropriately.

>THEN HOW ABOUT MAKING YOUR WORKING CONDITIONS LESS SHITTY OR PAYING ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE?

You know what faggot why don't you go start a fucking business so you can see how full of fuck and childish your attitude is.

All of you with this "why don't businesses just to x" attitude are simply uninformed teenage faggots.

>It’s a dirty, gritty job that most people just don’t want to do
Who are they fooling? As a kid I'd have done that as a summer job. Why the fuck would I care if it's dirty and gritty? Go home and wash up when you're done. Classic crony capitalism trying to keep the borders open for more slaves who'll work for $3/hr.

by "work harder" he means "quietly under worse conditions"

FIGHT FOR $15 BY DEPORTING ILLEGALS

>but if you kick out the illegals who will clean my house and mow my grass? Checkmate nazis

Communists\anti-business faggots should be given helicopter rides.

Fuck corporatism.

I love how this differently worded thread is entire devoid of those much automation shills. It's almost as if someone is forcing that meme.

>lose 3.5 million in product because too cheap to use 160,000 or so on summer payroll
>expecting anyone to feel sorry for your retarded ass
I hope cocksuckers like this die of aids slowly.

Calm down. The real problem is the mega-corporations use their influence on our corrupt politicians to get laws that benefit them and not-so-much small businesses. When small companies say they will be priced out of the market, it is because other businesses abuse the system and literally rig it.

Wal-mart fucking teaches their employees and pays them in a way where they abuse welfare and subsidies. It's insanely corrupt. Our congressmen are bought and paid for though, so it doesn't matter. Anyone that'll run against them will also be bought and paid for.

This. It was always fun to do nothing over summers because while I was willing to try anything blue collar, they weren't willing to give me a shot. Couple that with state licensing for every little job (California) and suddenly I don't even get a call back.
Remember it was the Dems who wanted slavery.

>The jobs Martin was advertising paid more than $14 an hour, slightly above the average wage for the job in his area. Even so, he got no applicants. “No parents in Maryland are raising their kids to swing a pickax,” Martin said.
Bullshit.

I live in Florida and I only ever see white guys as landscapers. Never seen a Mexican or Squatamalen.

NOOOOO! HIRE FOREIGNERS, YOU IDIOTS! THE ECONOMY WILL COLLAPSE IF YOU DON'T!

Do you understand anything about business whatsoever? It's adapt of die. Can't keep up? Too bad, there's no one who's going to bail you out (unless you're a jew owned bank). So it's raise wages to make your job more appealing or else shut the doors. There's no "b-b-but we can't!" If you can't, you lose and some other business will pick up the slack.

>Our congressmen are bought and paid for though, so it doesn't matter. Anyone that'll run against them will also be bought and paid for.

What would it look like if "it mattered", what does it look like when our congressmen are not bought and paid for?

Or what legislation are you lusting after exactly?

This goes for any of you kids that don't at all understand what it takes to run a business.

So you prefer to make illegals suffer for your own profit. At least they have a job, right?

You realize how anti-semitic this post is, right?

Remove porky.

>Legal workers won't accept my wage
So fucking raise your wage then. No one is obligated to fill your job vacancies.
This isn't the USSR you freak. People like Martin should be caned in public, repeatedly if necessary, and placed in the stocks until they get the message.
Stop cheating the american public, you filthy animals.

The problem is that entry level jobs deserve entry level wages. Oyster shucking, okay fine $12 but shit like fast food, cashiering, etc. is for high schoolers and college kids and should stay as the minimum wage. If we had real manufacturing and thus real manufacturing jobs we wouldn't need high minimum wages.

>b-b-but if wages increase then the price of everything with also increase!!

>So fucking raise your wage then.

You are mindlessly running your mouth like a kid.

In the vast majority of these cases the margins are so small that there is simply no way to raise wages.

archive.is/36VgK

I know it's Buzzfeed but it's a really good article about the bullshit employers do to get out of hiring Americans like having a broad idea of what constitutes a certain area so that when they run ads in other states they can go "well we ran ads". My favorite is hriing a bunch of Americans and Mexicans for stuff like fruit picking so they don't get in trouble for not hiring Americans, then fire all of the Americans over a short period of time leaving only the cheap Mexicans.

they are still slave owners in their minds, democrats are disgusting

>If you don’t have a business model that requires you to pay a decent wage," Costa said, "then you have to think about your business model."

That grass is about to get real fucking tall I guess. Hope you're not part of a HOA haha

Insert mindless anti-business platitudes here.

>In the vast majority of these cases the margins are so small that there is simply no way to raise wage
Than your business model is faulty. Step up your fucking game, faglord.

>Heheheh, good goy, if you want to earn more you actually just hate businesses, you'll take what scraps we offer and you'll like it!

Ah yes the ole if you cannot pay what I think then you should not be in business attitude.

I have never seen that before, not time and time again or anything.

If you want to earn more then you go get a job that pays more or start your own business.

Since apparently it is so fucking easy why don't you faggots start one?

>houses are too expensive
>yay they're going to be more expensive now
Sup Forums logic

From the sound of the article, he won't be in business if he can't hire brown slaves and he refuses to pay white people enough money.

Or keep yourself afloat by importing shitskins that will work for nothing because they come from shitholes and can be deported if they complain about your shitty conditions. Enjoy insolvency.

>If you don’t have a business model that requires you to pay a decent wage," Costa said, "then you have to think about your business model."

This is literally you.

Yeah, that is just a shit attitude.

It doesn't matter if a 1000sqft house is $1 million or $2 million, I still will never be able to afford it in my entire lifetime.

Might as well make the prices go higher and higher until nobody can afford housing and THEY have to do something.

Then compete with faggots offering slave labor? You can't afford to provide exceptional service when companies hire spics that have no self respect or interest in anything but themselves.

>treating your workers like human beings at the same time as keeping your own business afloat is a shit attitude

So you think the government should control the price of rents and housing?

It's a shitty attitude that you think the only way to keep your business afloat is to import foreign workers.

If that's the only thing stopping the jews from making every man, woman, and child in America homeless, then of course they should.

The fact you have to frame it in a feminized, feelings based social shaming way highlights the point that it is a shit feelings based attitude that is a refection of what should be rather than what is.

Nice false equivalency, you slippery Jew. I do think the government should control who a business is able to hire, yes.

>LESS SHITTY OR PAYING ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE?
Some jobs are literally shit and you wouldn't do t faggot, people are too sheltered to sweat for their shekels. Me for example i have been offered a job that pays twice what i do right now but i have to move and is a bitch to get to it.

>Halili
Fucking Albanian scum.

Shucked oysters for free with my family literally every year. It's a really mysterious thing being treated with respect does for you.
>treat employees like slave
>pay them shit
wow why don't they show up :(((( we NEED mexicans :((((

So you agree that you don't even see your workers as people, thanks for proving my point Schlomo.

>Around the country, lawyers and labor brokers actively promote the H-2 program as a way to boost profit margins. Usafarmlabor, a labor broker serving the agricultural industry, until this month bluntly stated on its site: "Our workers actually save you money each month in a comparison with U.S. workers.”
Thanks. The article is two year old, but I don't anything has changed in that length of time. Jesus Christ, they aren't even hiding it. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A MARKETING POINT.

Also, I worked at a gas station, used to build houses and farmed. I've done literally every Mexican job out there as a white person. It infuriates me to no end that people espouse this idea that we wont do them.

I actually got paid a decent wage to do those jobs and my employer was white so there's that.

Oy vey

I'm surprised this hasn't been used to further divide the left. The whole "fight for the $15/hr" shit is another leftist gibsmedat making the rounds and this can be an opportunity to turn them against illegal immigration.

>democrats are still the party of slavery
Its like pottery

No way bro, you are just against a living wage and stuff, business should not even make profit they should only be there to create jobs.

This desu, all that money they save probably goes towards a mistress or hookers

>houses are expensive because of building materials and labor costs

lol

Why do you care what people do with their fucking money, they could be burning the fucker for all i care, It's their money and i'm not a commie.

They are not suffering, the minimum wage in Mexico is 40 cents the hour, if you are paying them 6 or 7 dollars the hour they are living in glory, and if they send half of that to their families, they could help them live like middle class in their towns

>He says he lost $3.5 million in sales this year
Should have offered 2 million in wages then

anti-corporation =/= anti-business

companies only do things because it impacts their bottom line somehow. they don't care about diversity or whatever. this shouldn't be "news" to anyone.

I'm sure it's just a (((coincidence))).

They have to pay murican prices in food, housing, gas, don't you know that? right you're a fucking neet that can't into economics, please shut the fuck up.

yeah there are dozens of job sites. but seriously nobody reads newspaper classifieds. what a waste of money

My fucking sides have left irbit in this thread
>wages are going up! Its bad! Its bad i tell ya!

Jog on kike

Used to Paco marketing.

Carpentry used to be a good job for Americans. The pay was good, the work was steady and if you were really good you could elevate your craft and work on high end houses and make really big bucks.

I know this because my dad was a carpenter for 20 years but got run out of the field by cheap Mexican labor. And guess what? Housing prices are now higher than ever. Contractors just pocket all that extra money they save in labor expenses and you end up with a crappier product at the same price.

Yeah, and that's why they live 20 to an apartment.

Right, that is the reason why the government should control the means of production that way evil people cannot make profit.