"Academic inflation", or "education inflation," is the process of inflation of the minimum job requirement...

>"Academic inflation", or "education inflation," is the process of inflation of the minimum job requirement, and the simultaneous growing number of higher educated persons. This results in an excess of college-educated individuals with lower degrees (associate and bachelor's degrees), and even higher qualifications (master's or doctorate degrees), competing for too few jobs that require these degrees, and devaluation of educational degrees. This condition causes an intensified race for higher qualification and education in a society where a bachelor's degree today is no longer sufficient to gain employment in the same jobs that may have only required a two- or four-year degree in former years.[22] Inflation has occurred in the minimum degree requirements for jobs, to the level of master's degrees, Ph.D.s, and post-doctoral, even where advanced degree knowledge is not absolutely necessary to perform the required job

Is there any way to combat degree inflation and the havoc it has caused millennial generations?

Should we shut down shitty colleges

It's interesting to note that the same time this really took off is the same time frame that boomers began to join management

it has far more to do with employers not understanding what a degree actually means and they think it's a legitimate substitute for on the job training.

companies these days want to tell everyone how special and unique their product or service is, but want employees that are interchangeable at the drop of a hat. So they go for obnoxious job requirements because they think that any time spent training or paying to train someone is a waste. Even fucking fast food places know the utility of training employees, but small and medium businesses can't grasp the concept despite training having demonstrable effects on productivity, loyalty and happiness.

I don't have a college degree

Only some college then I dropped out

Should I just kill myself

You just have to get a trade - and then be out of the workforce in 25 years when your body breaks down from it.

Because people follow their (((passion))), there is a huge gap between what degrees are gotten and what is really wanted in the job market.

What you will see in the upcoming years is that employers will massively favor traditional well regarded degrees, as they provide the a degree of protection against the hordes of bullshit bachelors/masters.

>It's interesting to note that the same time this really took off is the same time frame that boomers began to join management
And that they might only have a HS Diploma!

>be me
>2 degrees
>unemployed

>be my friend
>0 degrees
>employed

>be my other friend
>0 degrees
>2 felonies
>employed

>be my last manager
>0 degrees
>female
>22 years old, younger than literally everyone she was in charge of
>the fucking manager

Degrees in what if I may ask?

Train me senpai
I'll stay with you forever

Business admin and molecular biology

... Those are very different things.

Yes and no...but mostly yes

Force colleges to promise a job at a certain level of income if the student completes their particular program. Then, force colleges to refund the full price of attendance if the graduate does not successfully procure a job of that income job within a reasonable time frame.

Western countries need to divert all financial aid and scholarships out of humanities, and reserve them for STEM and trades.

Cut welfare, and divert the tax money saved into research grants and infrastructure spending so these people have jobs that contribute to the advancement of their country.

SJW sociology and gender studies majors will be forced learn the value of hard work and contribute something constructive to society, or starve.

>Read: how to save the west in one generation.

This.

I was pretty shocked at how little preparation there was to prepare students for actually finding a job in either of my departments. Basically, it was just telling us to make business cards and go to career fairs.

And of course a university education isn't job training, even though employers wish it was. That's the real problem.

We DON'T need traditional educations anymore, we DO need formal job training and skill acquisition.

>businesses don't even OTJ training
>so muh degrees
Uh, no, MOST businesses don't even OTJ training, so they look for people who already have the experience they want. These candidates, in turn, received uncommon OTJ training elsewhere, learned it in school, or are self-taught.

This is actually why people with degrees are bitching about job availability at the entry level; they think "hurr, I have a degree I'm qualified" when businesses work exactly NOT that way.

Businesses often list skills they need because they have requirements to meet, while they list degree requirements as a simplified weeding-out mechanism. Sane businesses will tend not to turn down individuals who have the skills they need, and have demonstrated baseline aptitude/knowledge-base, even if it's not necessarily through a college degree.

Kids are led to believe their gender degree means they are a good person, therefore they will earn 6 figures out of college.

"Force...Force...Force...". I am just guessing here but are you a libtard?

Found the boomer

It's the government's job to avert crime.I'm okay with forcing measures to that end. I don't see anything wrong with forcing background checks for firearms, forcing a drivers licence exam to drive, or forcing colleges to guarantee job placements for their programs. The government should prevent crime, including fraud, where possible. That probably means I'm not a libertarian.

>Academic inflation", or "education inflation,"

and then there is grade inflation that causes those college degrees to be worth less
>pic related

>These candidates, in turn, received uncommon OTJ training elsewhere, learned it in school, or are self-taught.

How did you manage to contradict yourself within a single sentence like that?

No more government backing of student loans, only provide aid for degrees that they might see on their investment. Basically they need to rid these colleges of the humanities and Marxism that has been weighing them down for decades.

The combination of easy loans for college and the illegality of many types of discrimination have caused this. When you can't discriminate on obvious signals of fitness you have to make up new ones, which are obviously going to be worse correlates of performance than the original.

He meant liberal, but you are closer to a commy.

There is a legitimate case to be made that universities are committing fraud when they blatantly misrepresent the employment rate and job availability for certain degrees.

Someone who has a CS degree and is working part time in retail should not be considered as part of the '80% of graduates that has a job!'

>When you can't discriminate on obvious signals of fitness

Like what?

Haha university cucks

Example: Everyone knows where the projects are. But if you never hire a guy from the projects, since they're overwhelmingly black, you're racist. So instead you have to make up some other reason for not hiring people with that address, like not having a bachelor's, or not having 5 years experience, or whatever. But then to avoid discrimination suits, you have to apply that standard everywhere.

Yeah nigger way to identify the problem. Everyone wants skills but nobody wants to teach them. It's not a shocker that employees change jobs every couple of years as they unlock these skill sets.

The solution is to either tailor college courses better to the industries they're likely to be employed in (less theoretical work, more real world applications) OR have companies pick up the slack and actually be willing to train people how to do shit. The problem is that early adopters are going to get fucked as they begin to function like de facto OTJ learning institutions whose major function is to export talent. Once the talent pool is sufficiently saturated with people who know relevant skills this job hopping crap will slow down because companies will be more willing to just train up new hires.

Succession planning at higher levels of management is actually a big fucking deal. Even if you've got an external hire with the absolute correct skill set it will still take them 6-12 months to get used to company language and culture and familiarize themselves with their peer network and the systems already in place. Big companies are aware of this lag time and develop a stable of internal candidates at every given tier in order to ease that transition. I've seen transitions happen seemlessly with internal hires but never with external hires.

It's all in how you write the job requirements. You can list a whole bunch of shit under "preferences" that can be used as vague ways to tell people no. When I got out of the Army I applied for a bunch of jobs and one of them rejected me because they thought the job would be "too physical" for me. Never mind that I had just gotten out of the Army and eventually accepted a job creating mixed pallets of groceries. The reality is that the hiring manager just wanted someone else and needed some vague sounding plausible excuse. I'm honestly shocked they even bothered include one but whatever. That's life.

Usually anything higher than a masters degree in the same subject as your graduate degree is financially worthless.

Medical doctor and law school are really the only financially beneficial post grad degrees.

Getting a masters or phd in social work is literally worthless

Accounting is good too

Knew a guy that got a Master's in it and was CFO at 26

Happy for him, but I do seriously question whoever made that hiring decision lol

>Uh, no, MOST businesses don't even OTJ training, so they look for people who already have the experience they want.
What businesses wish for and what they accept are very different things, and it is widely understood that all a degree represents today is a "license to learn." Though increasingly even that is failed to be signaled by a degree, applicants are so bad.

Generally in society academic inflation is hard to fight. Employers get their pick of the litter and if someone has more education they're theoretically more qualified. Students are doing it because they can't find jobs straight out of college.

The problem is an HS education is worthwhile, but college really shouldn't be for everyone, but the bachelor's degree has become the new HS degree.

There are a variety of things that help academic inflation:
1) When people who shouldn't go to college and get trades, they fill positions that need filling and pay a good middle class income.
2) When people go to college and get multiple internships/co-ops, they usually get hired straight out of college into better paying jobs.

There are schools like RIT and Drexel that have really tight feeders into internships/coops/full time jobs and those that don't'. My school fed well into accounting jobs but poorly into business IT jobs, and I made it on my own into a firm.

Didn't you ever have internships? I had multiple job offers with a Bachelor of Business Admin in MIS before graduation.

>You can list a whole bunch of shit under "preferences" that can be used as vague ways to tell people no
This is huge nowadays, HR is a huge filter. Career fairs and such help because if the person referring hires or hiring likes the cut of your jib you bypass the HR bullshit filter.

There are so many issues with inflation, most of it is departmental rather than institutional.

At my university, pretty much every hard science course I took (bio, all the chems, physics etc) set the average to 2.4

Pretty much every non-science course was set MUCH higher, even up to 3.2 as the mean

Online college > (((college)))

All of my internships were biomed research sadly, my goal was med school, backup was business and slacked on the interns for that route.

Great post. There's also the issue, particularly with small and medium sized companies from my experience where they have no clue what they actually want. So they'll go one of two routes:

>Hire someone with the credentials whom has a clear path to be easily trained and productive in an specialized field. However the company sees the cost of training and balks, wanting the person to figure it out on their own without any of the tools to make that happen. This generally results in companies then thinking that they need to just 'hire someone who knows it already'. and then..

>Hiring someone vastly overqualified who demands a much higher pay than the company has any intention of providing, showing that it's yet again cheaper to just pay for the training and necessary equipment

Repeat this enough, with management wasting so much time trying to find the "perfect" candidate that compared to the amount of time and money spent on this search they could've just trained up the person that they hired in the first place for substantially less.

Oh, and throw in extreme frustration and anger on both the original employee and management's end as the employer thinks that they employee should be able to "just figure it out on their own time" and the employee seeing how idiotic it is when their boss sets them up for failure.

I've even seen employers say "We need you to learn about this specific industry item that's offered only by this company.. Look, I know that the training from them is great and the certs they provide are important, but.. Why can't you just look for it on youtube at home or something? Lotta good videos on youtube. You really aren't showing any motivation on this."

Grade inflation and academic inflation are two different things.

Grade inflation is a huge problem because a lot of jobs will turn you away if you don't have a 3.0 minimum average GPA so there is a severe pressure on faculty to make more of the class base employable.

Academic inflation is just the fact that more people are getting degrees and more people are getting advanced degrees.

That's sad. My second major was marketing, I did one marketing internship and a business IT internship, then I did an IT internship, and got hired full time at one of the largest software companies in the world.

I hear biomed is tough because a lot of people have to do secondary work and get on a couple papers before relevant companies (e.g. pharma companies) want to hire people.

Protectionist trade policy and bigger focus on good tradeschool education. The former will result in local industry being created and where you have(modern) industry, you need educated workforce. Not Joe the Sociologist(who, for all intended purposes is about as good as Jamal who dropped off high school), but Jim the Machinist.

>I've even seen employers say "We need you to learn about this specific industry item that's offered only by this company.. Look, I know that the training from them is great and the certs they provide are important, but.. Why can't you just look for it on youtube at home or something? Lotta good videos on youtube. You really aren't showing any motivation on this."
LOL, my employer put me in a bunch of classes when I joined and then set me out on my own. The classes were theory/functional on what the software did.

Then, they throw me a VPN login to a customer, the application/DB/operating system admin passwords, and tell me to get the application configured from scratch.

Spent three weeks on youtube, various blogs, reading the documentation, and comparing to a couple of demo systems but i did it.

Most people don't have that drive or ability to pick that sort of thing up. I already had a background with *nix OSes and some DB background, but picking that up from scratch is really, really hard.

Since hiring me my employer has put a greater emphasis on a proper training course, a lot of people get 3-6 months of just training now before they do any work with customers as a novice.

Oops, noted.

IIRC 1/3 of the country has a Bachelor's or higher, which is too high, but not astronomical.

The scary thing is how many people drop out after starting (66% of high school grads start college, and less than a 1/3 of those go on to graduate), but it's good for those that finish.

This forever.

Your brain and body brake down in "degreed fields" too.

t. 55 year old diabetic heart attack boomer in accounting.

This

1/3 of the country having a bachelors is tough, you don't need a bachelor's degree for a minimum wage job but plenty of people working them do.

Accounting is a horrible field IMO. There are probably exceptions but they lure kids in with straight jobs promised before graduation with good starting pay ($64K/yr). They work them to the bone on hours in soul crushing work. Most get churned out of the system after three years at which point new college grads replace them, or you work 80hr+ weeks for five or more years to make it to management. Might be good at a smaller firm but the Big4 suck.

Accounting is also prime real estate for early adoption of automation

The US tax system is already deliberately arcane. The IRS wanted to automate tax reporting for 98% of people, getting enough information from the sources (banks, brokerages, employers, etc.) that they could pre-fill all the forms and the taxpayer would just have to add anything not reported, but Intuit (makes Turbotax) and big firms paid big bucks to lobby against it.

Turbotax and similar softwares are just rules engines and similar checks can be applied to a lot of accounting. Machine learning and heuristics are improving meaning you can have bots look for the fruit and then have a human being review them in rare cases.

>going to college
You know you can earn a million dollars a year on a pipeline? Thats 5 years of work to retire? Sure you have to put in 5-10 before that to get experience but this is retarded. Skilled labor makes tons of money.

>they think it's a legitimate substitute for on the job training.
show me this mystical employer that prefers a degree over experience. honestly, show me an employer that gives a shit about a degree beyond marking a checkbox on a hiring form

It Is true though. I'm not actually a boomer. Tail end gen y, x. I work with a revolving door of schmucks. The entilalmemt and ego of the average millenial worker with a degree is off the charts. They come out of school wanting the pay and perks of people who have been in the field for 20 years. But generally don't focus on gaining the skills and time. They believe the degree is magic and their brains have been downloaded with all the knowledge of the world. Plus they are better than you morally because anyone over 35 is more racist and less environmentaly minded than them. Most cliquey and least humble people ever. Like 24 year old middle schoolers. But school and university, parents and media tought them that. Reap what you sow.

Want to know how i know you went through public education?

No! Kids are just getting smarter. Flynn Effect and the blooming of 10000 immigrant flowers. Future gon b bright as shit.

>The entilalmemt and ego of the average millenial worker with a degree is off the charts. They come out of school wanting the pay and perks of people who have been in the field for 20 years.
this x1000

skilled poos are also terrible like this, but the one chinese I know is not an entitled shit like this

This is true. Some companies are better than this than others. Some are just purely bad at it. Some are willfully bad at it because SJW policies take precident over making $.

Some of that is justified though, inflation is an issue, salaries SHOULD be higher, particularly coupled with the high cost of living in urban areas where most millennials are.

I live in Seattle, where $72,000/yr is literally classified as low income. Only tech companies are paying above that for new grads.

Higher learning is a communist infested criminal enterprise. Used primarily to weaponize naive, inexperienced and foolish students who have spent their entire young lives being institutionalized, with malignant ideologies designed from the ground up to destabilize the institution's host nation.

Today, every "college educated" citizen leaves their institution with a seething hatred of their own people, and a lust for wanton strife that they are unable to sate, with no understanding of why.

Also shit like this

>particularly coupled with the high cost of living in urban areas where most millennials are.
if you think it's too expensive to live in the city why the fuck are you in the city you goddamn entitled piece of shit

Because that's where the jobs that actually require degrees are paco

Many large corp have outside firms do job postings. Hiring manager fills out s want list, then some crazy HR hag blocks your path with an insanely general job description and ups the credential level without telling you. So you get masters people applying when you would be happy with an AS or even someone with no degree and proven experience. So you end up hiring a masters level person who is overpaid for the job and unhappy with the "low level" work that looks nothing like what they saw on TV. They quit in,s year, rinse and repeat, little actual work gets done, division moves to Mexico anyway.

Whatever you say, sport. Might be easier for you to maneuver outside of the city if you take that chip off your shoulder, but hey, I'm sure that's also everyone else's fault.

BOOT

STRAPS

t. boomer

You want entitlement, all you need to do is look at a boomer.

Inflation is an issue. I agree. But, in what world do you expect to make more than the person with 20 years of experience? All things bring equal. Except for isolated examples or fields like sports entertainment, you have to work your way up.

That bring said, I am highly sympathetic. Boomers don't seem to understand the concept of inflation. A boomer manager will day things like, "were hiring this guy for 60,000! I started here for 30,000 years prior and bought my first house with couch change." *Ignores the fact that his 30k starting was 30 years ago and he now makes 160k.

Not quite kiddo. I work in a research company. I know what kind of applicants we get, and they're all entitled shits that expect huge wages based on nothing at all. Washing lab glassware is mysteriously beneath them, even though they can't even remember basic things like how to determine the concentration in a bulk solution, nevermind determining concentration after additions. These are the interview questions we ask, and we have yet to have a single applicant succeed. These are people who have degrees in chemistry. We now have a host of excel templates to automatically calculate this shit because we've never found an applicant that can do it. Nevertheless we have to hire someone.

By the way this goes for those amazing immigrants as well.

I would like to sympathize with your struggles but my experience in the quality of young applicants we get tells me I should not.

Cashes his SS checks with nothing more than a firm handshake.

Then it sounds like your HR dept is dropping the ball on interview invitations

>admit that you've automated it
>want someone to do it manually

How do boomers even breathe on their own?

>all these people talking about their work problems and I'm still getting my uni degree and I've never worked a day in my life

lmao

That shit SHOULD be automated anyway, literal busy work with potential for unnecessary introduction of errors

I can't wait to automate away all millennials. God damn your generation is truly horrible.

Wrong.

You will be automated

>spending money to pay people for busywork for something you already automated

How are you people even real?

Yes, granted I wouldn't have a degree now however it is currently worth toilet paper. I'd advise that only top tier colleges remain open catering to the brightest students.

kek

I know an old dentist who paid for dental school by working at a bar in the evenings/weekends while he was training

Blame women. To be completely honest, I know that myself and many other men would not go to college if it weren't for the abundance of easy pussy. And if we didn't have this college culture then less women would go as well, creating a nice cycle.

>automate basic tasks for millennials because they can't even do it themselves
>see you don't even need me

>WHERE ARE MUH JERBBSSSS
the absolute STATE of entitled shits

Kill foreign workers visas, or have better government oversight on the programs. Businesses have to try to find local workers first before they can import Pajeet from the shitting street for half the local wage. So they put out an ad for the job with stupid requirements and if anybody responds they find some idiotic reason to pass them over like "not a team player or some shit". Then after all the respondents have been eliminated they repost the ad with even more requirements. They repeat this process untill they finally stop having people get to the interview stage, they go to the government, say locals don't want the job, and then they get to import street shitters to their hearts content.

That's why entry level jobs now require 5 years experience, multiple PHD's, 17 olympic gold medals, all the pokemon trainer badges, and a recomendation from every head of state of a country starting with C

This is my experience to the letter. They are also very dismissive of anyone more than 5 years older than them (unless that person has an office). They are very dismissive of anything that smacks of blue collar. Dismissing the maintenance supervisor as a shlub even though he is a sage and basically built the whole building with the founder. The woman (girls) especially will tune you out or outright ignore you if they don't like what you have to say.

They are very interested in the trappings and signals of power and mistake those for actual power. The meeting is the end not the means, the phone is the end not the means, the trip offsite or to a conference is the end not the means, being included on or having a project is the end not the means.

They always try to make pals with the perceived power structure. Getting it wrong most of the time, but forming destructive cliques in the process.

Yeah, trumps doing it right now; those people with low education and shitty degrees are the ones that will be the ones picking avocados.

Living with your parents and not working isn't bad at all. You can learn to draw or code, then do some projects online to take a vacation to somewhere like Latin America or South East Asia and have endless sex for a few weeks. You get used to it. It's not like we're responsible for the policies that got us here, like the immigration act of 1965, Nixon's outsourcing and ending the gold standard, housing prices to keep the mudpeople out, Reagan's no fault divorce and gynocentric courts overhaul, and the Bush immigration reforms. Just enjoy the bits and pieces during our decline.

Also, get a fucking autoclave

You shouldn't be hiring anyone to do this shit, this is the problem

>They always try to make pals with the perceived power structure. Getting it wrong most of the time, but forming destructive cliques in the process.
Oh god I have never even verbalized this but this happened here twice. We're primarily a chemistry-based company but I'm an engineer, we have sales team, etc. The last entry-level chemist we hired latched on to the sales team. The current entry-level chemists we have both latched on to me.

It is absolutely mysterious.

This is so true and very depressing. It was born in 1968, became an adult in the 80's, reproduced in the 90's, and its demon spawn multiplied after the great recession.

I feel like it might be peaking though. It's unsustainable. WW3 or it will go away. If no WW3 habbnings and corps decide they want to compete and make money/value for real, then this needs to stop.

The problem is that universities were inadvertently put into the role of giving out white collar employment credentials, and a good alternative model to break their monopoly has failed to emerge for whatever reasons.
Most good universities have been trying to funnel resources into this sort of stuff (eg, employer-school relationships), but I think it's a lot harder for them to get it right than is implied. Also, shit tier universities, those who need to adjust the most because their school name has less prestige, are even less likely to be able to implement these improvements.
And the role of white-collar-job-credential-giver has also contributed to the push for expanding their enrollment - it's harder to reject people who should not be in university if you know that you're handicapping their future prospects. This means that the scholarly aims of universities have also been undermined by this social development. I TA'd a course earlier this year as a grad student and holy fuck I did not expect such so many people who should not be in university. I don't think anyone is really "winning" here.

>automate something that should be automated from the very start because humans are far more prone to errors than machines, especially when it comes to calculating
>demand that it's done manually instead so you can justify the fact that you're special because you don't know how to use technology
>cry about how everyone but you is dumb and doesn't understand things that you wasted your life on when other people found a simpler, faster, better way a long time ago

No, really, how are you even real. This has to be some kind of joke. Y'know, when I had to fire three boomers before because they still couldn't grasp the basics of the computer system, I brushed it off as nothing, but now it starts to make sense - you really are incapable of learning and have a literal fear of technology lmao.

AHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

>Also, get a fucking autoclave
We don't need things sterile, and getting an automated dishwasher would be an enormous investment just to save some princess millennial from 30 minutes of work a day.

Good luck in your future endeavors, user!

>I literally need to hire another human being for a 30 minute task because I'm sure as fuck not going to do this thing that's beneath me

>Why pay once for a piece of equipment that can fulfill this need for the next 15 years when I can pay people to spend hours in a year doing this one thing

For a 'chemist', you're math skills are atrocious.

No no, he's an "engineer"

They've been conditioned to act in a continued middle school fashion. Then it becomes an arms race and then a condition for survival. But it is very destructive. Companies used to attempt to structure to minimize this behavior and only foster it for the immediate team. Your team is your clique. Your job is to fit in with your team, ad value to that team to ultimately make money or value for the company. Not go off like a stray cat in heat backing your ass up to anything that might rub your junk.

Even employers are guilty of this. German trucking companies advertise trucker shortages when they only get 15 applicants for their jobs instead of 50. We need some sort of overhaul in accountability or more young males like myself are simply going to opt out of working in the traditional sense and only work, part time, for the bare minimum of bread and circus.

I've got an engineer in my family, he keeps an old book with various calculation tables and stuff, uses it from time to time even. I asked him about it before and he told me "We've got programs that do it, but it's still fun to occasionally refer to this stuff to see if its changed at all, and I just like using a book sometimes." Like, okay, I can understand that - you're admitting that something else is superior and you use it and you do this other way just because it's something you enjoy, alright, I get it.

But this guy.. When you clearly have a superior way of doing something and instead you DEMAND that someone does it in a way that's inefficient is mind boggling. Then to justify it as WELL YER JUST LAZY is hilarious