Why do people call themselves conservative?

why do people call themselves conservative?
shouldn't you rather to choose what policies to support based on rational thinking and objective reasoning rather than "It was like this before and i want to keep it like that"

> whats worked for thousands of years shouldn't be done because its old.
> welp time for communism

>shouldn't you rather to choose what policies to support based on rational thinking and objective reasoning rather than "It was like this before and i want to keep it like that"

Implying they are mutually exclusive.

you could reason that what has worked before and is old is still a viable policy because reasons such as "the other options suck" or "this is just objectively better because so and so", not because "it has been tried and tested", though that is still a valid reason to support something.

if you are right wing call yourself right, if left, then call yourself left
same goes for liberal and authoritarian

Out of sincere interest, is this how you actually think?

no, but i strive to think that way and i think that thats the only correct way to think

these people are real eirenon. Ive been more vocal around my campus recently and I can assure you, they really think this way.

they somehow prefer a typhoon of change to a calm stability in which to enjoy life to the fullest.

No, I mean, do you assume that conservatism is based universally on the assumption that if something was done previously it is therefore better? The question I'm asking is whether you you sincerely believe this absurd strawman.

Thanks. I'm just having trouble believing that these people actually think the things they say.

yes because thats what it means?
conservatism is an ideology that strives to stick to the past
to conserve the past traditions and such

It would be too complex to run a government filled with independent politicians you have to make compromises and form some sort of collective to get anywhere this causes the left/right split, since you will team up with people who generally share your view point if you are mainly right leaning most of the people you will associate with will also be right leaning so any issues you might lean left on will be overruled by mob rule.

yeah i have no problem with that
i just hate the label
see

Right I understand now, there is the same problem with the left too they call themselves progressives but they aren't actually progressing towards anything they offer change sure but that is just something different not necessarily something better.

traditions exist, as such, because they are continuously selected, because they work. see FDR's "old and precious moral values"

you just haven't thought things through yet, user

/thread

conservatism implies conserving what is good. it's not focused on the past, it's focused on the present and the future, informed by the past.

i kinda see the progressivism thing but im pretty sure progressivism supports social reform rather than to actually progress (since im quite sure all relevant parties support progress in every single way)
kinda like in the renaissance, specifically the age of enlightenment, the leading political ideology at the time was Progressivism, things changed, social reform happened.

though i still hate Progressivism tho, its the opposite of conservatism and instead of
"keep this for the sake of tradtion" its "change for the sake of change"

>"keep this for the sake of tradtion" its "change for the sake of change"
that pretty much sums up politics a new government doesn't start from a blank slate they inherit the policies of the last government if you completely disregard people intentions they only have 2 choices keep the policies as they are or opt to change them, the middle ground is basically arguing by how much should the policies be changed. Unfortunately everybody gets blanket labelled based on their end position on issues without taking into account the thought processes that made them arrive at that position that simplicity is needed for politics to function.

>"It was like this before and i want to keep it like that"
New things need to prove themselves. most new things are noise. Being too sensitive to noise in a signal is schizophrenia. Neo-mania is a bad thing for civilization. High quality evidence must be presented to alter traditional wisdom. Failing this test as ruined many things in history. Most recently: health. I would recommend Anti-Fragile as a book to read on the topic of your question.

>that simplicity is needed for politics to function.
hmmh, never thought about that, but now thinking about it, i agree.
its stupid but the public is stupid and its better for the public to understand that "this guy wants to change things" or "this guy wants to keep things like they were" rather than not understanding anything at all

>6 gorrillion genders
>rational and well thought out

Kys

Right now conservative means "hold on let's not destroy society" and "plesss respect individual rights"

no what the fuck stop
many of my beliefs align with conservatives but not for the same reason that
and im using the actual definition of the ideology.

people who supported the monarchy during the rise of Bolsheviks were called conservatives
people who supported the communist regime during perestroika were called conservatives
muslims who support islam as it is are conservatives
muslims who want reform in islam are progressives