Is depression real?

is depression real or is it a victim mindset encouraged by liberals and pharma companies.

the chemical imbalance has been proven to be false..
anxietycentre.com/anxiety/chemical-imbalance.shtml

its diet/hygeine related.

It's real, and it's a product of modern industrial society in the vast majority of cases.

isn't 'depression' just life though? it's not an illness. life is suffering. feeling like shit isn't an illness. you either feel good or you feel bad. and that depends on diet etc.
to me it seems like a label for people to attach themselves to. if 'depression' wasn't a thing then there would be a lot less people suffering from it.

>Is depression real?
Wallowing is. When you allow yourself to wallow, don't have a purpose in life, don't have a structured day, things to do, places to be, stop doing things you used to enjoy, isolate yourself, stop going out and become a shut-in etc it creates a vicious cycle. The more you wallow the harder it becomes to get off your ass and perform even the simplest of tasks. Having nothing going on in your life causes you to wallow.

the symptoms are real the problem is the cause.
suffering is part of being human, sadness is another emotion, but its a far deeper topic that needs to be investigated.

Depression is real, but you can fix it with your own mind. Depression is the result of your shitty view on life. Read self help books.

It's real and serves a useful function by focusing the mind. It emerges when you're living in a way that is badly aligned with your nature. Fix that and poof.

>the clinical definition of depression is the inability to construct a future.

feeling like shit and wallowing is normal. but 'depression' is bullshit i think. did people label themselves as depressed before pharma companies were involved? anyone know?

insufficient GOOD bacteria in the gut directly linked to depression

Yes, it is real.

This is a pretty apt analogy.

Depression is brain atrophy from no longer doing life.

>It's real, and it's a product of modern industrial society in the vast majority of cases.
this

gf has depression/anxiety issues. Trying to figure out what the hell to do to make her better

i'd advise her to accept its normal and snap out of it. i really think the acceptance of being depressed only makes people more depressed. compassion can be poison.

>tfw have crohns

JUST

Being depressed is real but our culture is set up to feed into bad habits to continue the cycle. Just eat better, get some time outside, and exercise.

Depression is a jewish trick

She had a pretty big blow during the year emotionally and it took it's toll. You're probably right, but if she isn't up for it she'll crumble even more. It's such a horrible place watching someone suffer it.

It's the result of being physically unhealthy because of high levels of heavy metals and halogens in your body.
The most effective thing you can do is supplement iodine to get those things out of your body.

its a hard condition to tackle, but help needs to come from within, IMO its all due to a wrong perception of the world and how things should work, easily attributed to a sheltered upbringing (our modern society does a pretty good job at it.)and a easy life growing up.

THIS

>Just snap out of it faggot!

works every time

read Ninja Mind Control it is one of those books with a misleading title that is written by someone who is obviously a genius far beyond normal people but doesn't offer anything for the Jewconomy to exploit so it is left in the shadows

i also think depression is a position of luxury. surely if you put it into perspective then its rediculous to suggest westerners can be depressed. its not exactly a hard life in the grand schemes of things. especially thoughout history. It just seems ungrateful and self indulgent

If depression wasnt real wouldnt male suicide rates be lower?

depression is real, suffered from it all my life

thats not to say it can be cured or medicated by drug companies, its also the case that most of us are just losers in life. its a real thing but self victimising by calling it a disease or disability is wrong as you can do something about it if you are honest with yourself, its not like being born blind

>is 27
>works retail minimum number of hours per week.needed to survive and pay rent
>sleeps twice a day for 6 hours at a time
>only lies in bed or on couch browsing the internet and watching videos
>eats one healthy meal per day
>exercises every other day
>been doing this since was 16
>larps to coworkers and family about having a life and doing things
>hasnt had a friend in a decade
>depression isnt a disease you fucking crybaby

Anyone who commits suicide is mentally ill far beyond depression. Suicide doesn't take balls, it takes insanity.

but why is the cause classed as depression? like its an illness. isn't that just life? and actually the cause is shit diet, no exercise etc

You tell me. Is legitimately considering suicide as the best option real or not?

By the way start moving your fat ass to avoid it. There is nothing worse than doing nothing.

Thanks, user. That's pretty much it. And that was my experience. Keeping busy, having goals and a purpose in life can be both a prevention and a cure.

ive suffered too and had numerous family member kill themselves over it. and from that experience im certain that them thinking they were depressed just enabled them to stay in that position like they had cancer they couldnt get rid of

The ancient Scandinavians believed that you were born to trouble, that you had to accept life was hard and full of sacrifices and the only attitude with which to face it was one of heroic resignation. You are born to suffer and claw your way through situations, always steadying yourself with the question - is this tougher than me?
Take solace in the fact that you have been given the rare chance to win glory which may yet outlive your years.

Did anyone get over depression/anxiety and if so, how did you?

all religions teach you that life is suffering. thats the whole point of life. its just to reduce it.

i really think that the moment you accept you have depression is the moment you sign your own death warrant.

the world is depressing it's just an emergent phenomena
telling someone with a good reason to be down about their situation to snap out of it is about equal to telling an ugly guy to just like be himself, bro

i did. heres how..
>improve diet and exercise
>find a reward system eg in a hobby
>realise life is suffering and being 'depressed' is not an illness. ups and downs are part of life
>reduce fapping

how ( ( ( they ) ) ) would sell you anti-depressants otherwise?

to me somebody claiming depression is a disease is on a level with fat people blaming their disgusting lifestyle on genetics

yes it can be harder to break the cycle but its not impossible and no doctor can do it for you.
to whomever said it is linked to a stagnating life with no direction, for me at least that is the case. earlier this year I made some money in crypto trading, had a roadmap for buying in and out around some news and it worked, I felt like an unstoppable god. even feeling that for a few days proves theres no physical barrier to not being depressed

How is depression even real nigga like jus be happy nigga hahahahahha

I think depression is real, but i think it has much more to do with not being able to find your purpose or rather not being fulfilled in the things that you do. Some people may be more susceptible to giving in to that feeling and letting it overwhelm them for a variety of different factors such as overall physical health.

I also feel as though spending too much time "connected" is bad for the human condition. Just 15 years ago anxiety/depression were not as prevalent as they are today...seems to coincide with the rise of social media and smart devices, but that could just be a coincidence.

precisely. its a billion dollar industry. telling everyone they're depressed is part of their game

I wouldn't say their purpose is to reduce it, but to understand it and embrace it fully. To have shit thrown in your face and be able to recognize it for what it is, while taking it in your stride.
>pic related

Be productive and improve yourself. Its an ongoing process. I got over depression by:

>excercising
>eating healthy
>improving at art
>reading more
>making more money
>strengthening relationships with friends, family, girlfriend

When I was depressed, I:

>was fat and getting fatter
>fapped all the time
>only played vidya
>shut in
>NEET
>ate junk food
>abused drugs

To me, depression is metaphysical. If you are advancing and creating growth, you will be happy. If you destroy yourself and your health and you are inwardly declining, you will be miserable.

DONT CONSUME YOURSELF

Gotta push yourself. Take it one day at a time. Make yourself a schedule for every day, write it down if you have to - and just keep busy. I took more hours at work.
>inb4 workaholic, ZOG shill, neetdom is best, the NEET starves the ZOG Reeee
It gave me something to do and it kept my mind off of things. At first. Then I noticed I was actually less tired, had more energy, and was able to do more things in one day. Extra money felt good, too, man. I started working out again - that releases feel good hormones, makes you healthier AND feel better about yourself. Was also lucky enough to meet great people through work. Even the most introverted of us need human interaction from time to time. I think that was about it. Isolating myself and not having much going on was what caused it. But everyone is different.

I'm depressed but honestly don't even care. What would I feel if I wasn't depressed? I feel like I'm experiencing "real" life. I'm to the point where it like almost feels good to be depressed. I honestly can't explain what I mean. Like my mom has depression and is on an anti depressant. I feel like she's a weak person who can't deal with it. I'm still able to function properly. I have a job and and I can grocery shop and do other shit. I just feel down a lot of the time. My depression really makes me appreciate good things though, more so than "normal" people I feel. Who knows? I might just be a schizo.

Who depressed here, but don't even care?

Of course depression is a real mental illness. But not everyone who is "depressed" actually has clinical grade mental illness levels of depression.

Look at your life

If you have
- no friends
- no job
- no hobbies
- no romantic partner
- no exercise
- no schedule routine

Then maybe those things are making you feel bad, not the "depression"? Try changing that first, taking some antidepressants temporarily if you need to, and if you get all those things and you're still depressed, then yeah you may have a problem.

>DONT CONSUME YOURSELF
This

It occurred to me that if I tried in life, things might get better, but if I don't try in life, things are guaranteed to get worse. That helped me get my ass working on some positive things like going to the gym, eating better, but I'm still pretty depressed. Maybe I can bluepill myself into being a religion-fag, and I'll report back to you.

I think its an increased exposure to information thats the root cause aswell.

when I say information im not talking about the likes of Sup Forums but the broader sense of the word. historically our peers were our immediate coworkers, friends and family, imagery in the media had an unreal disconnection to our lives so never really played a role in our aspirations or life expectations.

now we are blessed with over exposure to all the worlds possibilities it just shines a light on what failures some of us are. whenever people point to ancient cultures or even less advanced third world cultures today, youll find less depression because people didnt and dont know any better.

thats a dangerous state of mind man. ive been there and you need to get out of it asap. nihilism will fuck you up after a while. stop listening to sam harris. atheism will fuck you up in the long run.

religion isnt bluepilled. atheism leads to nihilism and hedonism. either get into religion or get passionate about something else eg a hobby. find something to live for.

Is that nihilism? I've never really read into it that much. Don't know who Sam Harris is either.

yep, 100% BS

drink more water, eat more vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine.

>Look at your life

>If you have
- no friends
- no job
- no hobbies
- no romantic partner
- no exercise
- no schedule routine

>Then maybe those things are making you feel bad, not the "depression"
Absolutely this BUT you have to break that routine and change things. I wouldn't recommend going on meds unless you are feeling legit suicidal. Meds have a ton of side effects and are extremely addictive. If what you are feeling is mild and caused by your lifestyle - meds will do more harm than good.

but exactly. when you are hungry or cold or tired, you have purpose: eat, get warm or sleep. but when all your basic needs are fufilled alot people find themselves going "what now?" and if you don't realize that nobody has that answer except you they fall into despair and depression

fpbp. depression usually means your gut bros are not doing so good

i agree, anti-depressants should be a last resort. id even go as far as saying you shouldnt ever resort to them. id rather take a shroom trip then resort to pharma meds

Depression is reality. In order to cope your brain will tell you that its just depression.

Yep. Once you are on them - it's a bitch to get off of them. I believe they fuck with your brain chemistry. You try to quit and will end up feeling even worse than you did before medication.

yeah i can agree with that. u need to find purpose. for me i like to skateboard. fighting and learning to land a trick is the same as hunting down an animal and eating it. you need to find modern replacements for your animal instincts

anti-depressants fuck you up worse then most drugs i know. Any self-medicating you do will probably be better for you then consuming regular doses of anti-depressants

would highly discourage a shroom trip for depressed people!

cant speak for other drugs but a monster hallucinogen should be avoided

U can fix chrons. No sugar bread milk processed foods fruits and then eat kefir

i strongly disagree. shroom trips can be incredibly helpful. i understand your concern but it really does help. just dont go overboard. beats the shit out of meds anyway.

Women actually have higher rates of depression than men. Men commit suicide more often because nihilism and existential thoughts hit men much harder due to higher abstract thinking capacity, and men are less likely to be religious (i.e. have real meaning in their lives). It's the same reason Whites and Asians have higher suicide rates than third worlders who objectively have far worse lives.

Depression is real, in a sense. It is not what most people think it is though, it's definately not some mystery ailment that just decends on some poor unlucky bastard. It is a spritual sickness, and it has as many causes as you can imagine. The cause is not so important. Learning how to treat yourself is.

Anyone with 'depression' needs to see a Shaman, not a doctor.

Seeing as there aren't too many reliable Shaman to hand in this timeline you have to use whatever is to hand to try and sort yourself out.

This means, your wits, and the interwebz

It is, in my opinion, without doubt, a spiritual phenomenon, any medical intervention will only treat the symptons, and poorly at that.

A lot of the things that can help depression are common sense and almost cliched:

>Get out into the countryside as often as you can, take up rambling / hillwalking
>Eating healthy is good, vegetarian better
>Take up Yoga
>Take up Meditation
>Take up Tai-chi and get attuned to your chi / spirit power
>Read some decent books on spirituality, from as close vto the source as you can - avoid Western authors
>Look into Kundalini awakening and the symptoms of Kundalini sickness

>Don't watch TV
>Don't watch Hollywood movies
These vthings are designed to crush spiritual people, and if you're depressed, there's a good chance you are of a spiritual nature.
>Avoid psychiatric meds (just my opinion)
>Avoid Psychologists, I can't see what help they'd be when they totally ignore the work of the one guy in their profession who had a clue (Carl Jung)
>Try to identify Cancerous people inyour life and avoid them if possible, if not possible because said toxic bastards are family, then you need to set up boundaries between you and them, both physical and spiritual

This is very true

I wouldn't do drugs at all. Some resort to molly. Good job - it releases all of your serotonin and most of your dopamine at once and depletes their natural levels. You'll be even more depressed as a result.

yeah i also think that white/asian men have higher IQs and people with high IQs tend to be more self critical. its a bitter sweet pill

No, Higher IQ allows you to see more of the truth, and its usually more than you're prepared to see.

but the only way you get to the truth is by being critical. people with low IQs arent critical of themselves. thats why they stay dumb

its also why low IQ usually equates to being extroverted/loud/abnoxious

>Avoid Psychologists, I can't see what help they'd be when they totally ignore the work of the one guy in their profession who had a clue (Carl Jung)
I really recommend watching Jordan Peterson's lectures. He's got a hard on for Jun and a couple other really good figures. Everyone bangs on about him but for good reason. I started listening to his lectures awhile, when I my mental alignment was really out of whack. Started getting through his recommended reading list. Really good stuff

when you take psychedilc trip you are usually confronted with a self awareness/critique of ones self. somehow peterson seems to answer all those questions. he manages to give people that extra dimension to there self that makes themselves aware of themselves. like looking at yourself from another layer which allows you to critique it.
he basically is managing to do the same thing that jesus did. there are plenty of theories that suggest jesus is a magic mushroom, or at least thats where he got his thought process from.
peterson is a trippy frog that sits on top of a mushroom

>is depression real or is it a victim mindset encouraged by liberals and pharma companies.
both

It's real, but easily fixed with diet.

Psychedelics are great but be very careful with them, the government will ruin your life if you question the authority of psychologists. doctors, and pharmacists.
We're still in the dark ages but organizations like maps.org are great resources

Come with me,
and you'll be,
in a world full of pure imagination...

>is depression real or is it a victim mindset encouraged by liberals and pharma companies.
It is real.

>its also why low IQ usually equates to being extroverted/loud/abnoxious
This. Low iq people usually have this innate desire to be "normal" and seek constant approval to do so.

It's metabolic and cognitive in nature. I work on my negative habits and supplement my diet with 5htp and l-dopa at low doses, vitamins d and magnesium. None of those are addictive and have vastly increased my mental resilience and mood.

Been on many different antidepressants, and none helped, they just got you high to different degrees. If i want to get high I'll take drugs

They used to understand that idea.
There was a word for it.

DISSIPATION. a dissipating lifestyle left you hollow and meloncholy

I know there's a slim chance that a legit doctor would be on Sup Forums... but what are the side-affects of SSRIs? Do they increase mortality?

What if they help though? Isn't it better to be on meds and function than be off them and be bedridden shut-in?

>... but what are the side-affects of SSRIs? Do they increase mortality?
They don't make you happier. They just level you out. You don't really feel any emotions on them. Imagine white is happiness, and black is sadness, anger, etc. SSRIs make everything gray.

Btw, that is how all mental health drugs work excluding the amphetamines. They just drug you up or fuck with chemicals in your brain until you are leveled out.

I was depressed when I was poor . It's real.

Offcourse its real retard . Is psychosis real ? its both a chemical imbalance

>Atheism and the religion without a definitive belief of God have the highest suicide rates.
Proof that those without a belief in God are some of the unhappiest people.

Most of psychiatry is pseudoscience and correlational.

The problem is that people get diagnosed with depression when they have eliminated sources of stress and anxiety or bad habits from their life and they get put on anti-depressants which is like a chemical lobotomy which turns them into zombie people.

Hypothetically, you could have a patient who has no reason at all to feel suicidal or depressed, but still feels this way. He should probably be seeing a therapist and maybe taking anti-depressants.

But modern life is so artificial and alienating that a state of depression and anxiety is just a rational response to this existential dread which comes from living in cities and working on computers all day and having to tolerate big government and mass social degeneracy and disorder.

It's real and it's a consequence of being a weak pussy. Go out there and put yourself in situations that will test you. Nothing cures depression like success

I would say it would depend on the severity of the condition, but they should absolutely be the last resort. Not given out like candy.
>Can't sleep? Sleep too much? Here, have some Xanax
The problem is how quickly they are prescribed. I managed without them, but like I said - if it's so severe and got to the point where you are bedridden and suicidal and nothing helps - I guess.

The definition of depression is sadness.
Do humans feel sad?
yes

Therefore every human has depression.

It's how you cope with it that makes the difference

Depression isn't sadness. Depression is a lack of emotion altogether. it's the inability to feel sadness, or joy, or pleasure.

Depression is real.

everyone is mentally ill.

Mental illness is by definition a significant deviation from the norm.

It's real, but most of the time it's your brain reacting to poor lifestyle choices. Listen to your body, it's telling you that you need to change.

Taking drugs will likely not help you. Especially if it's a lifestyle issue.

Working out, sleeping 8 hours and waking up at the same time every day, and diet. Doing chores and Keeping your living environment clean and picked up. For most people, this will do you wonders and you will be much happier.

Don't change all at once. Just start working out once a week, or change a healthier meal decision once a week, or ***ensure you wake up at the same time every day***(This one is highly recommended).

If you do these and you still have issues go to a psychologist and they can help you, Then it's possible medicine will correct the issue.

It's a real thing that, like any mental disorder, desperate millennials latch onto in some twisted need for a unique identity, even if they don't even have it.

Depression is fake