Can we have a FIRM HANDSHAKE thread? Discuss the role of boomers, millennials...

Can we have a FIRM HANDSHAKE thread? Discuss the role of boomers, millennials, and the current employment market in figuring out how the hell we solve unemployment. Talk about your shitty experiences trying to get entry level work that required 5 years of experience, boomers that lied to you about pay, and general advice for nailing interviews in a globalized world.

Fuck all this shit. Trade crypto and get rich in a few years

it is boomer-tier, but the firm handshake thing is legitimately good advice, even if you want to take it symbolically. the modern equivalent is to ignore the online application stuff and pick up the phone, or show up in-person. it may sound boomer-tier, but a lot of the time gatekeepers, hiring managers, and managers are boomer-tier themselves

This guy is a TV celebrity from a show where he does a dirty job for a few minutes while being filmed. He should take the F.U.C.K O.F.F pledge.

Any time I've tried the old firm handshake technique the staff working there told me to fuck off unless I had a good reason to speak with HR or a manager that was complaint related. If I lied and got to talk to them they would threaten to call security for wasting their time since nobody does that shit anymore when its all online. Meeting someone is so low effort that it won't make a difference compared to just having a good resume and cover letter. Thats how people get chosen unless its a friend or relative. Connections are king but a handshake is not a connection.

should i mine? i was too young when the shit started but is it worth?

Why is debt a bad thing?

How are you even supposed to purchase a house in America without going into debt? It's not like most people have $100,000 to buy a house.

>Live in a tent and eat beans

As if that's legal. The pigs would come tear your tent down and cite you for illegal camping. You would have to live in a homeless shelter; not a tent.

that's what i mean though about taking it symbolically. taking it to mean "having confidence"
i might be a bit older than you in terms of this online application shit (im 35 so i missed the boat a bit but it was definitely there)
but the idea is you go in and cold call them. you ask the gatekeeper "hi. im hoping you can help me out. who would i want to talk to here if i was interested in discussing employment opportunities?"

they might say "oh, we handle that through our website/corporate/whatever". that is their trained response. they have ONE BULLET as a gatekeeper and they just fired it

so you can then press it "great, thanks. if i wanted to introduce myself to someone in charge of hiring here, who would i want to contact?"

you just keep going in this manner. they're not prepared. you get a contact (sometimes you will see an unmanned desk with extension lists on the counter, and this is even better because you can mislead them to talk to someone in HR or whatever it is - pick any extension and tell them you want to talk about your application. you might get the CFO. oh sorry, could you forward me to the hiring manager?)

you do it like this. it's fucking so important to avoid the online application shit and i promise you it still works just fine. you have to be a little tricky with it but it's fine and it communicates drive which is all that matters. it is the "firm handshake"
i am seasoned in this if you have questions. but please read that whole big shitpost i just did

Mortgage is the only acceptable form of debt for a normal person.

If you have the means, knowledge, and ability to invest the cash you'd have otherwise spent and also manage the money and interest in a way that allows for more return than interest paid, other debt is acceptable.

Cars should be purchased with cash in almost all situations.

>i believe all people are created equal
>some choose to be lazy
man that's so like the fucking boomers. i'd like to see them work their butt off if they were born in china or some other shit place. boomers fucking trigger me so hard, got everything handed to them, even sold out their children and then have the fucking audacity because we're not married at 25. the views europe held for thousands of years the boomers managed to flush away in merely one generation, then bitch about us being nihilistic and not having purpose

wah wah, u fucken baby

but that's boomer 101. it does you no good to be bitter about these fucking scumbags at least insofar as you're going to let it megadose you with defeatism

Unemployed 5 months, have AAS in Computer Information Tech (not compsci, not programming)

Did ~8 interviews, had high confidence in my ability for each position I applied for, never called back.

Changed my resume every few weeks, ended up with one that some rating and help companies said was an 85% score so I'm keeping it with some modifications.

I stopped doing applications that take up 1-3 hours of my time just from not being able to take it anymore

This is what I apply for, stores and misc. as well but they don't accept resumes usually and I've never gotten called by them.

When I interview they notify me that they'll get back to me in a week or two when the rest of the interviews are done. So it's probably 50+ applicants each one.

Ending unemployment is easy, it's addressed in many books on economics. Get rid of entitlements like welfare. Jobs come from people not the government. Government needs to get out off the job market REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Embrace Dharma, read the Dharma Manifesto (Sanskrit word means natural law or natural way).
Return to traditional roles, with a new flavour and use tech to enhance lifea and space instead of little insect chinks turning out millions of ICunts to indoctrinate niggers like me (I'm actually white).

There are reasonable levels of debt that a person can handle, but a lot of people underestimate just how challenging a few monthly payments can be.

This was a common issue that led to the housing crisis in the US. Banks were going off of listed incomes to decide whether to grant loans, which screwed them over because people would lie and say they had higher incomes so they could get larger loans for homes. Since they couldn't afford those loans, partially due to lying about their income, it led to foreclosures that caused a recession as the loans turned bad.

It'd help for more people to realize just how much they could really afford. There's often this attitude that if you have a certain level of job that you have to live a certain way. The result being that you get doctors that are spending all their money on a nice house and car, yet can't afford to do anything and have a house that is largely empty.

Jesus Christ just assign the able-unemployed jobs or else we send them to work as slave labor in a (genocide-free, just like the originals) concentration camp. We put every person of able mind and body to work if they don't already have a job. No negotiations. Nazism is about moving forward through action to provide the best for the people, it's not based on principles.

Boomers ruined everything.

I hope there is a beaner mass suicide or Pogrom. Texas-Spic war wasn't enough was it, you like being militarily dominated by whites don't you? Fucking pervert.

Only a Spic Nigger would think:
>I'm spic nigger, California is in trillions of debt so my college tuition, loans are a bit smaller this month than usual
>Fugg. I can't buy my second house yet
>Eurika I'll take more Mr Shekelfag money

What is a "tiny house"?
What is a yert?
Both temp or long term solutions but you are too spic Nigger to think of them.

>basic bitch conservative aunt facebook image
Jesus christ how much this place has degenerated.

My dad is a typical fox news watching boomer. He always makes a comment on how I dress... I dress in well tailored clothes and rarely wear a suit because I'm a bartender. If I go to dinner with him, I wear a nice sport coat with well fitting slacks. he wears some baggy suit from the fucking 90s and complains to me that I am under dressed. sorry pops, I don't buy shitty suits from Jos. A Bank. lol

any machinists want to share how they got into the trade? i'm considering it.

Ending unemployment isn't going to come from ending welfare.

There have to be jobs available and there aren't enough to go around, especially because it's seen as a cost to train people. You can apply for jobs collecting jobs, doing construction, working as a plumber or other trade, yet still not be able to get a job because there's a ton of competition for these positions.

The limiting factor is resources and seeing as there are a finite amount of resources available in the world, it means there will be a finite amount of jobs. The solution, for our countries, is to limit immigration which is used to depress wages.

Boomer here. I refuse to hire millennials. You guys have the worst rep thanks to your own stupidity. Enjoy never amounting to anything, fags.

Enjoy dying a slow painful death with all of the prescription meds you're on. How's that vodka soda you always order at the bar? let me guess... your wife drinks shitty pinot grigio? I want to open a bar called "Boomers" with shitty fruity cocktails from the 80s. Just to make fun of your retarded complacent generation.

Why are you posting on our website then you fat cunt?

>slave labor or killing people is the best for them
The mentally retarded, diseased brain of a neo-Nazi my friends.

>pizza delivery
>over 9000 years experience with rocket science

or maybe if anyone has any advice to share on how to find your calling in life and work, that would be appreciated as well.

>"apply online"
>7823647826486287462687468274 have applied to this job

Fuck off you old cunt. Why don't you go die already and stop wasting actual peoples air? You are garbage.

>I understand library cards are free. Never stop learning.

Here, let me just put that I have a library card on my resume in lieu of a degree or accolade and just promise I'm really smart. See how dumb that sounds?

he only does the job for a few minutes?

Relative minutes.

To clarify, the people working in concentration camps can automatically get out of the concentration camp if they accept a job.

>I tried but didn't succeed.

Literally try, try again.

There's no point having any emotion about it.

The point hes trying to make there isn't strictly job related. That being said educating yourself can net you job opportunities through getting to know people in the industry and showing them how much you know. Most jobs literally don't actually need degrees. You can do like 90% of jobs with a week or month of on site training. Getting your foot in the door without a degree requires meeting people and that becomes easier when you can talk like you know what you're doing.

>I say genocide free
>Apparently I said killing people is the best for them
>Assumes slave labor is permanent and not temporary and accuses me of supporting indefinite enslavement

See this:

>Go to library
>Read lots of books on how to perform a job
>Never get any practical experience do said job
>Finally find someone who works said job
>"Well, n-no I don't actually have experience but I r-read about it a lot at the library"

If most jobs only take one week to a month to train someone then why not just hire any old brokedick without education or experience?

thief

Because theres people with the experience. Every job probably has hundreds if not thousands of people fighting for it at a time. Obviously you're going to pick someone with experience and education first. The exception is made when you hire someone you know who has adequately shown they can do the job regardless. Tons of people get hired for jobs they have no experience in even when the application requests that they have experience. Thats done by getting to know people in the industry and talking with them. If you can demonstrate you know the inner workings of a job (note: This doesn't work with high end STEM fields obviously) they are still okay with hiring you.

Went to night school at the community college, Took the first shitty job that would take me after my first semester, kept on going to night school, and put in my time.

Its a trade, not rocket science, and you are going to have to do the bitch work at some point. Learn the absolute basics, and start sweeping floors

>graduated comp sci degree
>submit resume online to software dev company
>get call literally 15 minutes later
>interview with them the week after
>accepted and offered contract 2 weeks after graduating
>repeat 3 times so I can compare and choose choose

Glad I fell for the comp sci meme

And the cars purchased with cash should be a few years old. Don't be a cuck, drive a used pickup truck.

there is a cnc shop nearby that is looking for someone who "isn't too proud to sweep floors". maybe ill call them on monday. i already dropped out of college, so not sure that night school is an option for me or not.

Many companies - by policy - will not hire applicants off the street - most hire through agencies. They list job, per the law, but it's a formality.

HR is too ingrained and embedded now, you have to get past them, and they don't want to hear from you, if you just walk in.

GenX here. I don't give a shit about anybody else but my family and myself. It's worked very well for me over the years.

Mine Bitcoin? You'd have to be rich to build a rig to even mine a fraction of a coin. Those days are long gone, you need data room power now.

Some of the other cryptos, you might have better luck.

I love it, except the part that all people are created equal. This is blatantly false. It is a lie that has done a huge amount of damage. Better to say, "I accept that all humans are NOT created equal, but I will not hold any grudges on that account."

Other than that it's fantastic.

>but the firm handshake thing is legitimately good advice

I've been in a lot of job interviews and people think a firm handshake is grabbing someones hand and squeezing it. Just say nice to meet you and shake their hand like a normal human being. Every time I've interviewed a hand squeezer it's just creepy but what is really funny if the person is non white like an Asian. They do that odd soft hand shake which is equally as creepy until you find out it's a cultural thing.

>apply for a job at an estate agent
>get an interview
>arrive at the interview and find out the business is run by a father and son
>son repeatedly refers to his father as 'dad' throughout your interview
What the fuck even

There's a couple things that need to change, for employment to go up in a meaningful way:
>Jobs creation
>Wages rising
>Job training increased
>Companies expanding, not contracting
>CEO wages dropping
>Less emphasis on stock price
>More attention to long term growth and health

Everyone complains about customer service now - and it does really suck. Is it low wages? Is it people doing the work of 4 people, for that pay of half a person? Yes. All of that, and more. Entry level jobs are gone, given to illegals. Trade jobs are either locked up in unions, or disapearing. In a typical office, the average worker does the work of several people, that frog has been boiling slowly for years, and wages are stagnant. But CEOs take home great wealth - even when the company is failing.
Imagine going to a store where someone stocking shelves makes a living wage, is happy, trained, and is helpful and friendly? It used to be like that. You'd have almost too many people around to help, because companies invested in their workforce, instead of CEOs.
Take your average CEO - a 1% drop in their salary and bonuses could increase their workforce significantly. But that might effect the stock price! Oh noes! Pensions? Pff. Buy stocks through our 401k, and make us even more CEO profits.

It ain't gonna change soon, either. I entered the workforce in the 80's, and you kids won't understand how significantly it's all changed, for the bad. If you worked in an office, you didn't kill yourself working, like they do now. you could get your work done in 40 hours, and mistakes were few because you had the time to do it right. I worked in a warehouse for my first job, and there were 8 of us, we made good money, and the place was clean, ran right, and there was no loss - and we took pride in that. Now? That warehouse would have two sullen illegals and one guy bossing them. My first office job, the work I had to do in a week, is what's expected in a day, now.

That's pretty fucking common in that industry.

Medium hard - and look them in the eye and smile. It's shocking how many people won't look you in the eye in an interview.

Yeah, but the 'dad' thing...
>you'll be working closely with dad
>dad will help you get trained up
Very fucking weird.

>show up early and stay late. (work for free / undermine coworkers)
That is a shit advice, if the job requires more man hours, then talk with your boss so he can adjust your official contract or hire more people.

>There's a couple things that need to change,
Get rid of regulations and lower the corporate tax rate.
This is an American list not a snowflake list

Same but also applies to extended family to a slightly lesser extent, other Scandinavians to a slightly lesser extent, and so on with a sharp decline at nonwhites then bottoming out at blacks.

Hes not implying you should work for free. Hes saying if your employers needs you to come in early or stay for overtime you should do it.

Millennials just wanted what boomers had, but boomers ruined it. We yearn for the days when a smile and a firm handshake was all you needed.
We yearn for the day when loyalty mattered.

Boomers are too brainwashed to realize that race matters. They think dissatisfaction with demographic decline and the effect it's having on our nations amounts to nothing but selfish laziness.
Ironically, they are too lazy and selfish to entertain the idea that their precious tv news stations might not have been totally honest with them.

>coming early to work and leaving late

It was decent up to that point.

Working past your hours is for cucks and anyone can tell you it doesn't actually make good workers.

This is America. We don't have snowflake employment rules like you. We don't work when we feel like and take 6 months off for "holiday"

Interest? You funny. Interest on 100k is like $15 a month. The banks are literally robbing savers right now.

The world has a way of distributing you where you belong.

You are just shit if you are not getting what you think you can get.

b-b-but it's a way of testing you to see if you're worth that 25c an hour raise!

This is what capitalist bootlickers actually believe.

>working for someone else
top cuck. go start a business you dumb shit.

The decree in this image is 100% correct.

Fuck you if you don't know how to educate yourself or prove that you're worth fucking with.

Scandi countries seem great. At least the ones without muslims.
I love the US but I sometimes wish my grandparents had stayed in Norway.

We gotta go full Ned Ludd and kill the machines. There's simply no other solution.

>when your country's rich people actually did none of these things, but want you to

Umm no, if you cant afford a home then don't go into (((debt))) for 30 years to pay it off. Rent on a monthly basis in an apartment or elsewhere and save till you can buy a home.

That's why it's called a meritocracy. The world isn't some commie utopia where everyone has a function. People fall through the cracks ie- homeless people.

Until the tech industry becomes inflated with thousands of people just like you, props for getting a job though

The rich in the US actually did those things in many cases. At the very least, their fathers or grandfathers did.

It's not a meritocracy when you have quotas by skin color or the bits between your legs. And this is the one thing a lot of people take issue with.
If we were in a 100% pure meritocracy there is no one to blame for not getting a job but yourself. But in today's world the blame is almost everywhere else.

This. Most of our rich were born into it, but that's not to say that pledge cant work.

>attend U of Michigan and earn an undergrad degree in computer science, 3.8 GPA
>contribute to several large projects, building a decent github 'profile'
>work during college for a manufacturing company writing shell scripts, working with the industrial engineers and diagnosing problems and patching them for large software systems being used to make a real product
>work with campus career services to ensure my resume is sparkling
>no criminal history, no weird or offensive posts on social media
>look like a clean cut hard working guy, no tattoos or piercings or long hair
>wind up working as general labor in a warehouse after dozens of interviews not panning out

Meritocracy is a meme. Honest to fucking God. You can do everything perfectly and still lose because you didn't have the inside track due to having a strong connection like a relative in the industry.

Now:
>it says here you work as general labor for (company), can you explain what you've been doing with your life the past 12 months?

Lmao fuck off, it's easier to slang weed and coke.

maybe a few, but most get rich through some scam thx to the gubmint

hey lardtard, you missed an important point in the post you just dismissed: He's talking about paying interest on money that you borrow, and using said borrowed money on something that generates a higher return than the interest you are paying. Remember this, it could save your life.

what to do if i have a shitty liberal arts major - philosophy?

yes i know i fucked up, but what should i do now?

interested in compsci...

goddamn a lot of blame-shifting millenials ITT

If I had a dollar for every boomer that couldnt give me a proper handshake and look me in the eye. Limp fish motherfuckers.

Oh yeah I agree 100%, a pure meritocracy wouldn't have rich parents handshaking their children into positions of power when they haven't earned it. An the quota system is total bullshit, minorities get all the fucking help in the world (literally throwing money at them) and they still cant get their shit together.

Just turned 23 and did the trade school meme for hvac pay was absolute shit so I operate heavy equipment now for comfy hours

umich student here. transferring next semester because i can see how much the game is rigged

They used to.
Then again, we used to have proper statesmen and affluent pillars of communities as well.
No longer though. Now it's nearly all jews and crypto-jews working toward nothing but the preservation of their comfy spot in a broken system.

Unemployed members of Sup Forums: what the FUCK is their problem?

Yeah I bought that meme too. What are you doing now exactly? Machinist work? Maybe I should do the same thing.

I work in IT. You boomers have a reputation of being difficult and unable to learn new things. I refuse to hire any boomers.

Boomers are Cancer, killing us slowly, those born in the late 60s and early 70s are the Boomers children and they are fucking AIDS killing us quickly. They believe vaccines gave their kids autism and that they should let black people from Africa into poor American communities to enrich their lives. Gen X is fucking AIDS.

>friend goes to U mich
>has no connections and is a social autist
>lands a job earning 100k a year right out of high school

Yeah nah, your just shit and are acting like you have alot done. So you look nice and have a pretty resume? so what, my buddy was busting his ass programming back in high school all the way until now.

Your forgetting the part where you went to a great school and because of that alone you missed all the job opportunities and connections they offered. He got a bunch of job offers.

Get real with yourself and ask what more did you do besides write some shitty scripts. Seeing that you posted that avatar I'm guessing you spent alot of time fucking around watching anime only to later bitch about how you did everything perfectly and it didn't work out.

I know who you are user.

Nah, I worked my ass off for 4.5 years, 3 times as hard as any of my coworkers, and I got fucked over. If it's an entry level job there is LITERALLY NO REASON to work hard, you are just making corporate fuckers richer. If you get an actual job with good pay, you are a disgusting leech for not appreciating it, but if jobs pay minimum wage give them minimum effort

Thats a retarded assumption to make with a survey pool of two people. Just because one person got a job early on and another didn't doesn't mean they did things drastically differently. I know people who put in tons of time and effort towards internships and didn't get jobs while some ended up the opposite and lucked into one.

>no connections
>no work history
>no affirmative action qualification
>apply online
>acquire interview
>just talk normally
>get job at 60k, pension, 401k, benefits, generous vacation time, etc

And I did it in 2016. Thanks, Obama.
You guys need to step it up.

How hard did you work on the resume?

I worked my ass off on four non-work projects on my free time to cite on it as experience in the field.