Sup Forums's favorite books?

I want to become a worldly wise man with lots of knowledge about history, plitics and philosophy. Am I able to do this as someone not very smart? I'm just not very smart desu but I am hardworking so it makes it good anyway.

So what do I read?-

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=yiTusB8cXkwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=jews&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE_JT3m5nWAhUE0WMKHaNQCpYQ6AEISzAG
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_books
youtube.com/watch?v=8F5nhYo5nx4
youtube.com/watch?v=LTQqFGLDdJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=G1-_k6mKSxk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

interesting. someone saying for him self that he is not smart. That is not something I see often.

Start with Dostoevsky.
Move on to Nietzsche.
Then cover some of Greek/Roman philosophy.
Also delete music from your phone and find some good podcasts or audio-books to listen to while commuting/traveling/whatever.

king killer chronicles will change your life

most podcasts are absolute cancer - which do you suggest? I'm asking so I can shit on any I don't like.

Is good a nu-fagg is at least trying to get some knowledge before going out saying a bunch of stupid shit.

Fiction is for women.

>Some repeat

The Cantos by Ezra Pound
Dead Souls by Gogol
The Odyssey by Homer

Soo this is a book describing an 1839 mission trip of Scottish protestants travelling through Europe to kiss Jewish ass everywhere and worship "God's people"

books.google.com/books?id=yiTusB8cXkwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=jews&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE_JT3m5nWAhUE0WMKHaNQCpYQ6AEISzAG

really made me think...

Last one, I lost others

A Song of Ice and Fire. Taught me not to trust anyone and to lower my already low expectations of the ruling class.

I am listening to Dan Carlin - Hard Core History now.

this is like for ants

right?

Confessions of a Crap Artist
Glory Road
Battlefield Earth
The Trouble with Gurley Pets
Welcome to the NHK

Myth of the Twenteth Century

You're not going to gain any wisdom from reading books unless you also start to apply what you learn into your life.

>brave new world
>nineteen eighty-four
>crime and punishment.
>animal farm

good starting point

Well I'm not going to shit on that. I haven't listened to the latest yet, waiting for the right time.

Get some better glasses grandma. Shit looks fine

This desu. If you're doing Dostoevski you may as well read Solzhenitsyn too.

Hey it has to look impressive, so putting all the books in one pic was a good idea... at it's time. Just download it and zoom on it.

cuck yourself

it's entertaining but not revolutionary or view changing

see and what op asked for

>Fiction is for women
So "The Outlaws" is for women?

He is really good. Interesting topics covered in new way. Beats the hell out of listening to music. I spend 1h in commute 5 days a week so its 1h of listening to something interesting compared to random music.

The Three Body Problem and its sequels.

The Xeelee Sequence by Stephen Baxter.

The universe is a horrible place but humanity CAN win if we're ruthless enough.

Every person should read Marcus Aurelius' Meditations

I can't get my head around someone would even write a book like that, much less other's reading it.

Did you listen to the WW1 yet?

sounds good to me

speak for yourself

kek, I guess you I guess don't like reading Orwell's novels too? I can't get my head around that

Hvem er denne sæddemon?

Just read books, even ones you know you'll disagree with.

Read the Western Canon of Literature aka the Great Books

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_books

For what fuckin purpose? I've read 1984 and it was shit. Highly overrated - like most fiction.

Currently listening to Thor's angels

Let me do you a favor and cut out much of trial-and-error wpeople need do when it comes to delving into philosophy and propel you to the one and only META-philosophy; Objectivism.

Read:
The Virtue the Selfishness
Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, and
Philosophy: Who Needs It

I consider these 3 Ayn Rand's adamantine-clad and unassailable masterworks. Most people would recommend Atlas Shrugged but all one really needs from Atlas is John Galt's speech, best in audiobook. Francisco D'Anconia's and Hank Rearden's speeches optionally.
youtube.com/watch?v=8F5nhYo5nx4
youtube.com/watch?v=LTQqFGLDdJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=G1-_k6mKSxk
After those 3 books then the 3 videos read Leonard Peikoff's "Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand" to round it all out.
Have fun skipper.

>Highly overrated
I won't argue that, but fiction is good, specially science fiction. It is like the parabolas, they are highly relatable and work to red pill normies in a way that won't make them into ... well this.
>pic related

Going to read The Adventures of (((Kavalier and Clay))) because it seems interesting. Anybody else read The Corrections or any of Franzen's? Seems like a pretty red pilled book.

the scars of evolution : elaine morgan
Devils Guard : george robert Elford
Papilion : Henri Charrière
Into Thin Air : Jon Krakauer

Anything by C.J. Cherryh.

Cyteen/Downbelow Station is a good place to start.

She's kind of like Orwell. Hiding real info in "science fiction" and "fantasy."

Read Book of the new Sun. Its red pilled as fuck and Gene Wolfe is brilliant.

the final redpill

I think the part of my brain that let me enjoy make em ups has mostly atrophied. I think real events are far more interesting, and I would argue it's more valuable to spend time reading about real events than ones that never occurred. I don't disagree with what you're saying tho.

ew fuck fascism

read, negro

It's practically impossible to advise you without knowing more about you.

In particular:-

** What have you read already? **

Most of the suggestions you're being given here are useless. The ones that aren't useless are buried under piles of useless stuff so you'll never see them.

These threads are always so depressing :(

Do you want to read specifically politics, philosophy and history, or you do you want to read things that will help you understand those topics? It's not quite the same.

How much time do you have?

If you haven't read much, and dive straight in with "essential classics" you might well just get discouraged.

OK, for what it's worth:

SOME CLASSICS YOU JUST NEED TO READ ON GENERAL PRINCIPLES
King James Bible
Thucydides
Homer
Shakespeare

IMPORTANT MODERN TEXTS
The Culture of Critique - Macdonald
The Bell Curve - Murray

QUICK EASY MODERN ECONOMICS BOOKS
Economics in One Lesson - Hazlitt
The Road To Serfdom - Hayek

IMPORTANT AND EASY READ:
Orwell "1984"

NOT WELL-KNOWN BUT I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT
The Evolutionary Psychology Behind Politics
[By "Anonymous Conservative"]

ALSO GOOD:
The Death of the West - Buchanan

PHILOSOPHY:
If you want a general overview of philosophy, try Bertrand Russell History of Western Philosophy.

If you are going to read individual philosophers, some are readable, some really aren't.

Plato's Republic is important and not too bad
Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra you might love or hate. Don't struggle through it if you hate it.
Edmund Burke Reflections on the French Revolution puts the pro-monarchy, anti-democracy case.
Hume is readable.
Kant is unreadable.

OK, that will do for now. I repeat, this whole exercise is useless unless you say more about yourself.

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Art of War - Sun Tzu
Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
The Tao Te Chang - Laozi
Analects - Confucius
Hagakure (book of the Samurai) - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

These are just a few short, pithy books that are full of wisdom. You won't find six more books like them. If you want politics, I suggest the Prince by Machiavelli and Leviathan by Hobbes.

Broke back mountain

this

Hmmm. Borderline. Good though, will have to re-read.
Have a look at Neal Asher, it's old school trashy pulp sci-fi.

Start with the Greeks

damn id like to gape her ass

>her

This one is truly excellent.

Lord of Light, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and The Prince

Has browsing the ch0n ruined most books for any other anons? I now find books typically boring and dry because I'm so used to reading little snippets of text like posts on here and seeing pictures with most things like a damn child.

paintshopped barbara palvin, no?

> Takes everything literally
> Pretty much masterclass trolling

Did she have autism?

sh-shes not female?

I'm working on a PhD in English and yes, though it's not a specifically Sup Forums thing. I still get a decent amount of reading done, but it can be tough. I'm reading almost all day every day, but it's so scattered. Focus can be hard when going back to a normal, linear book after that, but it helps to remember why that form of attention and discipline is good and to just dedicate time to reading from books with no distractions. It can even be a form of relaxation.

The Iliad is for women?

I have a Master's in English-- I turned down PhD program offers because I was fed up with the politics. The Internet has severely damaged my ability to read books.

And this after have spent many years doing nothing but reading-- no screens of any kind.

I basically haven't watched TV in a decade but have spent lots of time online. I may have to unplug. It's that or finally throw in the towel and admit defeat.

Norm Macdonald: Based on a True Story

Here's a short little list of books I've read that I think are red pilled:

Fiction:
Brave New World

Christianity:
The Spirit of Mediaeval Philosophy

If you aren't a theist:
Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Politics:
For My Legionaries
White Identity

Wrong