Portland police to halt, purge all gang designations

oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/09/portland_police_to_halt_purge.html

Portland police next month will end their more than 20-year-old practice of designating people as gang members or gang associates in response to strong community concerns about the labels that have disproportionately affected minorities.

The Police Bureau recognizes that the gang designations have led to "unintended consequences'' and served as lifelong barriers for those who have shunned the gang lifestyle and tried to get jobs, said Acting Tactical Operations Capt. Andy Shearer.

359 "criminal gang affiliates'' flagged in Portland's database as of last summer, 81 percent were part of a racial or ethnic minority. She obtained the list, names removed, only after appealing the city's attempt to keep it from public view.

"Gang violence isn't going to go away. There are still crimes attributed to known gang sets. There are still criminal gang members. That doesn't go away because we don't have a gang designation,'' said Capt. Mike Krantz, who helped spearhead the change. "We're not pretending gang violence doesn't exist. We're just taking this one thing away.''

projects.oregonlive.com/police/gang-list/

Other urls found in this thread:

dailywire.com/news/18509/san-fran-transit-we-refuse-release-crime-amanda-prestigiacomo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

holy shit its true

Does this mean Portland is a RICO-free zone?

Nothing can possibly go wrong

>nigger thugs roaming free
>BUT AT LEAST WE'RE NOT RACIST!!

stay cucked, left coast

Wow, how horrifically inefficient and stupid.

Just another day in the old Jewnited States.

On another note, over hear on the east coast we fucking bash nigger and spic gangs skulls in.

>designate antifa as a gang
>white gang members are now everywhere in Portland
>???
>profit

When is Kim gonna glass the west coast?

Why is my state full of so many morons?

The world is literally retarded now.
>Don't classify someone as a gang member just because he has gang tattoos. That's bullying and racist.

To think, when we were kids we thought we'd have hoverboards and flying cars by now. Instead, we have niggers and spics able to criminally operate without reprisal.

Isn't obstructing justice a criminal offense? Why are they allowed to do it just because they're police officers?

part and parcel

ITT: a bunch of retards simplifying a complex issue based on some shock jock's undergraduate-tier article.

They still keep their criminal file, right? It's just the 'gang' field that's being removed?
Not sure what the left was trying to achieve - nigs still be criminals.

>oy vey facts are racist and to protect people from facing facts we must scrub the record clean!
that's real retarded
reality doesn't go away just because you ignore it
>oh shit it looks like statistics and data are re-enforcing stereotypes better get rid of the statistics and data!
fucking Portland, stop embracing Sweden. Sweden is the total OPPOSITE of where you should be going, you fucking twats

Is the complex issue in this case niggers and spics forming gangs and being prosecuted for it?

Shadowrun here we go

What could go wrong,

Antifa aren't gang members, they're domestic terrorists

lefties never learn.

portland is probably the farthest left city i've ever visited. people smoking weed waiting for the super well laid out public transportation and waving around BLM signs from their organic gardens.

The conclusion that this is the perfidious leftie once again disregarding common sense in the pursuit of feels relies on a handful of untested assumptions.

Firstly you assume that the gang association database is colourblind in the first place and that niggers and spics aren't disproportionately (taking into account their elevated offence rates) entered into the database or entered on much softer evidence or lower requirements. If, as I suspect, database entry is as a result of being convicted of specific offences in specific circumstances then this also ties in the justice system more broadly.

Secondly, you assume that the major complaint against this system is the number of niggers and spics, and not that it dogs those put on it long after they had served their punishments, hampering their rehabilitation. Or perhaps you don't assume this, but you certainly are only responding to one branch of the complaint.

Lastly, why can't it be both? Why can't this be both a shitty system, and also niggers and spics be inferior. Just because niggers and spics are subhuman doesn't mean that whites are superhuman who never make mistakes. We can, and do, implement systems that unfairly disadvantage niggers and spics even as, at the same time, niggers and spics are our inferiors. Being someone's superior doesn't give you an unlimited right to run roughshod over them. On the contrary, I would say it gives you a duty of care toward them.

The strong should protect the weak.

>DA SYSTEM BE KEEPIN US BRUTHAS DOWN!

Protip: Find some actual evidence that something is actually racist *before* just reflexively calling it racist because it affects blacks more than whites. You'll sound like less of an idiot that way.

Niggers and spics are a net drain on society. Nigger and spic gangs are even worse, because they actively seek to harm the proper function of society. If a nigger or spic is in a gang, they're pretty much worthless as a productive member of society; why even give them a second or third chance when most people barely get a first chance? They're already proven themselves to be worthless.

I'm so fucking fed up with this city, the faggots, the super entitled niggers and the attention whores with Daddy issues fucking them. All the constant anti-trump graffiti all the other graffiti, the trash on every sidewalk the homeless living on top of all the trash.

I grew up just outside Portland and always held it in such high regard, always loving my trips in and dreaming of making it my home. Now I can't leave soon enough. End of the month and I'm gone

>"We're not pretending gang violence doesn't exist. We're just taking this one thing away.''
Every day the blackpill is looking more and more tempting.

>i dismiss things out of hand because they offend me instead of realising that issues may not be as simple as they appear and shutting my mouth about shit i know nothing about
The US justice system covers 330 million people and employs hundreds of thousands, at least. It is centuries old and the product of innumerable successive agendas and ideas about punishment and fairness.

Do you think that the only qualification you need to have a fully informed opinion on this very technical question is a pulse?

I agree. The number of clients who come through my firm with literally 30 pages of criminal history is ridiculous. These people are an absolute waste of space.

But "tough on crime" policies, far from fixing this problem, exacerbate it. The only way to break the cycle of habitual or professional offending is to give people opportunities outside it. This means things like a gang registry that dog them from job application to job application do more harm than good. You've really only got two sensible options: either advocate for mandatory death for habitual or professional repeat offenders, or give up tough on crime policies altogether. The conservative middleground doesn't work. It has never worked. You end up with overfull jails, high recidivism, and a permanent underclass of habitual or professional criminals.

But hey, it's your country. If that's what you want, that's what you're going to get.

Wow, congrats to the Portland Police Department for eliminating all gangs in the city in a single day. That's impressive police work.

We live in the Biff timeline

Using the British model. Seems good.

USA truly is the great satan

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGA....

That's the only logical explanation

The blackpill is true freedom, when you lose all hope for the future you suddenly stop caring about everything. No more insecurity and no more fear, you are already dead inside.

your responses are pseudo-intellectual drivel. first off, the burden of proof is on you to prove the system is racist, but you bring up conviction rates here. conviction rates are equivalent when you account for things like criminal records and courtroom manner. and no where in here did it say the "gang record" was following them around. it's their criminal history that follows them around. play stupid games, win stupid prizes. next you'll be advocating against the pedophile registry because they dindu nuffin.

There will always be a criminal underclass. They are called niggers. Jack the Ripper was such a heinous criminal in England that he is world famous today. Now, there are dozens of men in London with longer rap sheets, most of the pakis. Same story in St. Louis, Chicago, and Detroit. Being easy on them will never work. Giving them a second chance will never work. Niggers have no concept of guilt or responsibility.

>Being someone's superior doesn't give you an unlimited right to run roughshod over them. On the contrary, I would say it gives you a duty of care toward them.
white man's burden? no thanks.

>designating people as gang members
#notallgangmembers

lol god I hate the west coast

too many bratty white rich kids huh, dont want their futures ruined. well I hope they burn all your shit down.

Oh my fuck, my sides. Does anyone have the cap of the article of a tram system or some shit getting rid of surveillance videos because all the assholes were disproportionately black?

I live a few minutes south of Portland and just last year in my town a Beaner gang put a pipe bomb outside some dudes front door so when he was leaving for work it just shredded him. Okay Portland there isn't any gangs in the Metro area at all.

By Maxine Bernstein

>"there are still gangs, we're just not going to call them gangs cause dat b rayciss n shiet"
What's next? Not keeping criminal records anymore because they "disproportionately affect gentlemen of African descent?"

So... crime is no longer illegal unless it's a white person doing it, huh?

Hahahaha

#NotAllOregon

Literally go outside of libshit Portland and you will find the most based people ever. I work in a hardware store and I had an old ass man ask me for a "jigaboo saw" (he was trying to say reciprocating saw), right in front of a nigger.

So if you are ever in Oregon, come down to Albany, Lebanon, or Brownsville because its 99% white and the 1% of niggers mind their fucking manners out of fear.

Here you go, user
dailywire.com/news/18509/san-fran-transit-we-refuse-release-crime-amanda-prestigiacomo

>it dogs those put on it long after they had served their punishments, hampering their rehabilitation
you can appeal your own designation. If you're having trouble finding a job because of your gang affiliation but refuse to denounce your gang then why the fuck should anyone care about your "rehabilitation" when clearly you don't?

Oregonfag here. I thought the new mayor of Portland was going to be based. Every month there is more nonsensical shit like this. Why throw out the whole system if the problem is that they don't take people who are no longer gang members off the list of active gang members?

Gangs are still a serious problem here.

When I was in Portland there were some degenrates who called themselves the Pirates or some shit and carried butterfly knives and sold drugs and robbed people. I'm so glad the police will finally leave them alone so they can get off welfare and start making salary.

Wtf I hate criminal data now

%1 is too high for me.
Why do you have any at all?
So your women can fuck them while you're at work?
Typical Amerilard.
KEK

well they're not wrong about the white gangs part, even asians form gangs more than whites. nonetheless I still hope their nonwhite pets bite them in the ass.

You're right. Because a business' primary responsibility should be to rehabilitate gang members. Of course, no employer will knowingly hire one, so we need to conceal this information.

It's not unreasonable to provide this information to employers who stake their livelihoods on their employees. It's not the gang 'designation' that drags a person down, it's a history of criminal offenses.

That said, I appreciate that gov't may have fucked this system up to some extent, as they do with any system they touch.

AHAHAHAAHAAAAAAA *breath in* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
*exhale* wew lad so they finally figured that all those "white" gang bangers were in fact.... wait for it.... du duh DUUUHH mexicans!? *pinky up*

What race were they?

so fucking glad i moved out of that shit hole a few years back

it's an awful place

niggers were illegal in oregon until 1926 or something, one of the last places in the usa where you couldn't even come as a black

lol

Literal insanity.

>Capt. Mike (((krantz)))

Pop was right YET AGAIN

what are the odds that there will be an uptick in gang-related crime?

Gangs don't exist anymore, so there can't be gang-related crime! Checkmate, bigot.

tell that to the brits and rape gangs.

so is this to protect antifa, niggers, or both?

good idea. I just left after spending 2 years there for school. haven't regretted it once.

reason they're doing it is to remove the DACA recipients from gang association

It's a shame too, the city itself and the surrounding landscape is beautiful, but I can't stand the people here. I've found myself going further and further right-wing just by living in this place. Where I used to live, it was odd to see someone walk around with odd-colored hair, but here it's every third person you see.

Degeneracy runs rampant in this city.

>the burden of proof
I will never get tired of the hilarious abuse and misuse of this phrase.

A burden of proof is a courtroom concept. This is not a courtroom. There is no "burden of proof". We are not two officers of the court fulfilling our functions in an adversarial system. We are two citizens both motivated to get the best possible outcome for our society. There is no "victory" because this is not a competition. It is a collaborative truth-seeking process with the hopes that it can inform policy decisions. We both have the same goal, so planting your feet in the mud and declaring that you flat-out refuse to participate because you think that if the truth is different to what you believe that means you somehow lose is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Furthermore, why in the fuck would you sit there and tell me what the situation is if you are not across all of the relevant facts? A declaration like "the burden of proof is on you" means that you know that there are counterarguments and you know that there are facts that disagree with you, but you for some reason think they don't merit your attention until someone puts them in front of you. That's not smart. It's not even sensible. It's the product of a diseased and combative mind that sees his fellow citizens as enemies, and sees the truth as a potential threat to the world order he wants to construct.

Going into these kinds of discussions with an adversarial mindset is fucking retarded. It is anathema to sensible policy development.

In short, you are a waste of my time.

>(((Krantz)))
That's pretty fucking jewish.