What's the most pretentious anime you've ever watched?

What's the most pretentious anime you've ever watched?

Other urls found in this thread:

desustorage.org/a/thread/140414493
youtube.com/watch?v=iVbnt4vQE6w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_New_World_(novel)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kara no Kyoukai

Bakeshit

Different and unique=/pretentious

Not every show can be about 4 highschool girls in a club doing nothing with lesbian undertones

all modern gundam like wing and seed

Something Shaft or Eva.

Ergo Proxy, because its premise it tried to be thought provoking and fell on its face in the delivery.

Bakeshit attempting phillosophy is still a sideline from what it is, a high production harem. As for the LN's I can't t imagine how bland they'd be with the anime to support them.

Ergo Proxy. Not that the anime was bad, though.

WELCOME TO ROCK AND ROLL NIGHT

F-fuck your mother!

Why is this guy so upset about Penguindrum?
desustorage.org/a/thread/140414493

Sword Art Online

K-on

anything Sup Forums watches becomes pretentious once it becomes famous so in other words all anime.

Not the most pretentious but certainly over rated.

The first episode of Bakemonogatari

Code Geass was never meant to be serious on any level.

Monogatari series

it only becomes pretentious when people have actual discussions about content and people who dislike it don't have any easier weay of insulting a series

Tfw you find an edgy 16 year old who treats it like a religion and thinks he's Lelouch incarnate.

Any anime with Psychological genre

>KnK
>pretentious
pick one

>Tfw you find
That was you, wasn't it?

Hyouka. Soon to be Kiznaiver.

kill la kill

Penguindrum was so shit that I never want to start another show again just because of the off chance that it might also be as shit.

This kid is a hoot. I hope he achieved meme status back in the day.

I found Irisu to be incredibly self important and the amount of upset and mind games over the plot to a short film was immense.

This piece of shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=iVbnt4vQE6w

>B-but muh cool looking glossy backgrounds.
It was shit. SHIT!

looks like you haven't ever watched a real pretentious show yet.

seriously, what the fuck did I watch?

EoE

No idea, actually.
Maybe Gunslinger girl 2.

Who's the bottom?

Adaptation of the adaptation of the music video.

Araki

Madoka

The one in OP is the best anime of the past 10 years though

Definitely the Monogatari series

It was purposefully doing the deconstruction thing. It doesn't really count as pretentious. It was making a point.

Anyone who does not say Limit Cycle is wrong.

Monogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, Ergo Proxy.

subete ni ga something. God damn, that was fedora: the animation.

>genius party
>pretentious
you probably don't know the purpose of genius party nor the meaning of pretentious

Megasatan knows his shit

You probably haven't watched Limit Cycle.

>Fedora

It was Red Hat tho.

what makes an anime pretentious?

I wish I could meet all you know-nothing teen irl.
Just thinking how miserable your life must be make me feel good.

You have to google something a character said

It tries to be smart even though it isn't and the creators have no idea that they're doing that, so they're going deeper and deeper into embarrassing territory, even though the signs were already there early on.

Where the dialogue being used feels hamfisted and and trying to force insightful meaning where their is either none or in a clumsy manner.

That's what it means to me and especially in this example.

-Pretentious
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Psycho Pass.

Elfen Lied most definitely. The standard light novel trash that infests anime these days also likes to go pretentious as fuck, usually towards the end of its running time, accompanied by embarrassing tone shifts.

>light novel trash
You mean this?

That wasn't a LN as far as I know. But it sure had its moments, like the exposition machine, or that fucking monologue by the boy in the mask.

Kill la Kill.

RahXephon.

>singling out LN content

As opposed to what, exactly? Originals?

Manga adapted series were serialized and as such are all over the fucking map.

This. Ergo Proxy is the definition of pretentious. It crutches on assumed airs of intellectualism but the ideas behind it have no weight.

Tatami Galaxy or Ping Pong.

Did anyone else actually enjoy this? I really liked the first 2/3 if it or so till it hit the ending which was way too rushed.

this retarded shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_New_World_(novel)

Ergo Proxy is a poor man's Texhnolyze.

Kino no Tabi

>Pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Literally anything from Kyoani. It's generic SOL schoolshit that is desperately pretending it's anything but that.

It's not pretentious when it actually shows what it intends to show. Try again.

As opposed to everything else. For some reason light novels often share stupid narrative conventions, like those awkward tone shifts, oh so quirky dialogue (that's ironically dull as fuck most of the time), or masking their obvious wish fulfillment shit behind didactic pretenses or sudden melodrama. Sure, you occasionally have your Guilty Crowns and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure that these are just trying to forcefully mimic the conventions.

>modern gundam
>wing
Wing is farther from the present day than it is from the original Gundam, and has been for about 5 years.

Why pretentious? It was just a show about cute girls and bears loving other cute girls and bears.

Evangelion

If you found KyoAni pretentious, you're trying too hard.
The fans, however, are pretentious retards that try to push their shit far above from where they belong.

Does this count as a light novel? I don't think it was serialized in a LN magazine, nor does it feature those anime style illustrations.

This.

Subete ga F ni naru

Depends. Chuuni and KnK were pretentious as fuck with their drama and lame """insight""" into the characters. But what do the more modest SoL shows pretend to be? Do you interpret the visual direction as pretending to look like movies with the fake camera effects or something?

Evangelion
Kaiba
Monogatari

>show does a thing
>oh yeah show you think you're better than me fuck you and your pretentious attitude you highfalutin jackass
>show does not respond

Ergo Proxy or Kemonozume

Because the show sucked

Monogatari
Tatami galaxy
Ping Pong
Mushishi

Screen capped for future 'most pretentious Sup Forums posts' threads.

I don't get it.

every "modern" gundam takes after wing's idiocy

anything by yuasa or kon

Gits 2

Madoka, by miles

I've watched too many visually sound but substanceless "art" pieces to give an answer to that.

Limited to the popular stuff it has to be Utena.

What does substanceless mean?

This, also Code Geass, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero and Death Note.

Not containing any illegal drugs.

>This, also Code Geass, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero and Death Note

None of those are all that pretentious, especially not by anime standards.

I agree that Ergo Proxy was pretentious as hell, but I still liked it a whole lot more than Bakemonogatari. The setting and concepts were more interesting.

Huh, was this during his Sailor Moon days or Utena?