What happened to the classic anime OVA?

What happened to the classic anime OVA?

Back in the day, you'd get a decent handful of OVAs every year. Some were original IPs, some were adaptations of Manga/VNs or whatever. They'd have slightly longer run times (usually 30+ minutes) with much higher budgets than the average broadcast shows.

Nowadays, the only OVAs are stuff packaged with Manga that are already being adapted into TV shows, and it's usually just smut anyway.

Instead of one-off OVAs of things that will never be fully animated, we get more than 10 shows a season now.

the Japanese economy went kerplunk

>What happened to the classic anime OVA?
They are not a sensible business model.

Freely available broadcasts tremendously improve sales. If you want high-budget work, you'll need those sales.

The 80s were anime's golden age, once the Japanese economy started to slip in the 90s OVA production slowed to a trickle.

It turns out throwing wads of cash at some dude with a couple pages of doodles and half a script wasn't a recipe for success.

I want to fuck that underage prostitute

Man, that sucks.
At least I've got like, 20+ years worth of good shit to plow through at least.
I just don't know how those money grubbing whores can look at something like Gunsmith Cats or Read or Die or Dominion Tank Police or FLCL or that JoJo OVA and not want a million more things like it.

That's fucking lewd bro.

Japan couldn't stop the bubble from popping and now we've got nothing but a constant stream of TV anime and classic-styled OVAs are all but extinct.

This. The TV market began to rely on disk sales more and grew a ton, so the idea of a separate market focused only on disk sales became redundant.

>much higher budgets than the average broadcast shows.
A lot of OVA had shit animation.
There are still series with one 50 min episode every six months or similar, they just get a theatrical release.

>I just don't know how those money grubbing whores can look at something like Gunsmith Cats or Read or Die or Dominion Tank Police or FLCL or that JoJo OVA and not want a million more things like it.
But they did, that's why ROD got a TV anime, JoJo got a TV anime, and FLCL's getting a TV anime.

I don't think most anons who jack off over old OVAs really realize how many one- and two-episode OVAs were made on people's pocket change. Especially ecchi, there are so many completely-forgotten ecchi OVAs.

>That's fucking lewd bro.
I know

How can you complain that OVA aren't made any more if you haven't even seen all those available?

The worst part were how many of them were unfinished. I really don't miss the format.

>one- and two-episode OVAs were made on people's pocket change.
Yeah, but nowadays they use the same pocket change to make 12-episode TV series.

Not really. I don't get why it's become trendy to complain about cheap animation in "modern anime," honestly. We aren't going through any sort of rough period, it's about as good as it ever has been.

>as good as it ever has been.
*as shitty

There was a time when I couldn't remember the title of that OVA. Then early this year I decided to look it up and realized it Gunsmith Cats all this time. Needless to say, I fapped all night to pic-related.

Rally is ridiculously hot.
Which makes it even weirder when I complain that the manga gets too into fap bait at times.

I disagree. You'll have shitty animation in any era, that's true, but it the top quality stuff just isn't as good or as numerous as it used to be. The style has also changed somewhat. You've got flashy animation now, that while extremely smooth and fluid, is also off-model and weightless. Meanwhile there's plenty of stuff from before that has a better sense of character shape and motions with weight behind it.

Hopefully ONAs become more common

I am still mad at Burst ending.

Pre-2000 anime is shit, fuck off

The OVA went by the wayside when the studios discovered the late night market

Here's your (you)

Still disappointed we never got more anime.

Nostalgiafagging was never welcome here

Sunrise seems to be the only studio actively pursuing ONAs/OVAs though. To be fair, they do have Banco backing them.

Realism in anime was at its peak in the late 80s to 90s in contrast to the popularity of the more flashy and energetic Kanada style started in the 70s. Nowadays it's all about the web-animator style with their tendency to stand out, for better or worse.

Piracy

I miss the cute chubby chipmunk look of the 80's
The girls were legit cute without being moeblobs.