It's a Japanese transported into a fantasy world LN

>it's a Japanese transported into a fantasy world LN
>the characters inexplicably speak and write a language almost identical to Japanese
>but are given vaguely European-inspired names like "Fettes Schwein" and "Fille Facile" that should be impossible to spell in said language
>they live in a society modeled after European medieval civilization
>but operate off of inexplicably Japanese social etiquette, like bowing when apologizing, knights sitting in seiza, saying "itadakimasu" and clapping their hands together before every meal, etc.
>MOST IMPORTANTLY
>all the background characters wears crude medieval clothing that in general indicates that modern textiles haven't been invented yet
>but the heroines inexplicably have access to panties and bras and cute thighhigh socks with elastic fabrics anyways
I can't be the only one bothered by this shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nDiEiXIhlA0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I can't be the only one bothered by this shit.
If you had lurked for a bit you'd have seen all the other cliche greentext threads that preceded yours.
Actually, I am sure you saw them. You just want to restart the same old argument again.

>tfw 2 days before Re:Zero airs

>like bowing when apologizing
This isn't just a Japanese thing you know.
I personally bow when apologizing to people all the time IRL.

>reading LNs
You brought this upon yourself.

WOW
THIS JAPANESE ANIME WRITTEN BY A JAPANESE PERSON FOR JAPANESE PEOPLE IS KIND OF JAPANESE
WHO
WOULD'VE
THOUGHT?

>I'm new to anime : The post.

Most of the things you said are a consequence of writers not having a deep knowledge of the type of culture they are trying to represent.

Just take a look at any western story based on Japan or China, you'll see the same kind of shit.

One of the oldest example is the story of Aladdin. Written by an Arab, supposed to be set in China with Chinese characters, it has nothing to do with China.

>One of the oldest example is the story of Aladdin. Written by an Arab, supposed to be set in China with Chinese characters, it has nothing to do with China.
Wait.
Seriously?

>Just take a look at any western story based on Japan or China, you'll see the same kind of shit.
Name one.
In my experience most western stories set in Japan or China go way, way too far in the other direction instead and have the characters act in a cartoonishly exaggerated way to what the writer believes oriental culture is like and try their hardest to emphasize the foreign quality of the setting. You usually end up with shit like, "Ken-SAN apologized profusely, bending his head to the TATAMI mat while expressing the deep SHAME he had brought to his KAZOKU, his family, begging that he be given YURUSHIMASU, or forgiveness."

To be sure, most of it can be handwaved away as convenience and unfamiliarity with western cultures, but you simply can't explain people having Germanic names in a setting where they speak Japanese. How do you write "Reinhard van Astrea" in a language that doesn't have characters for half those syllables? レインハルト ヴァン アストレア is a far cry from the original.

>Code Geass
>Japan is a conquered colony of Britannia
>speaking Japanese is expressly forbidden
>somehow all the characters in Ashford Academy still refer to each other with Japanese honorifics

>One of the oldest example is the story of Aladdin. Written by an Arab, supposed to be set in China with Chinese characters
There are no wish granting beings in China.

Is that you, Ken?

Nigga have you ever even glanced at Chinese literature.

There is wish granting on a fucking massive scale. They don't come in the form of a big blue genie but it's there.

>Fille facile
Est-ce qu'elle est mignonne ? C'est tout ce qui compte.

Easy.
In said fantasy culture, tradition is to give children names from an antiquated classical language that's fallen out of common use.
It's fucking fantasy, anything can be handwaved.

Yeah. The west tends to go overboard emulating the exoticness of a foreign culture's way of life, while the east just roughly imitates the aesthetic and pretends that cultures different to their own don't exist beyond the way clothes look and swords shaped.

Westerners like seeing the ways that other people live and do things, but don't give enough of a shit to do their proper research. Nips don't want to see how other people live their lives and do things, but they love the way things look, so they just insert their culture into a different style and backdrop.

>they just insert their culture into a different style and backdrop.

Not him. But thats like one of the reasons why I actually watch animu.

So you can watch a blonde, blue-eyed beauty in a Dragon Quest-esque setting stammer "i-it's not like I like you anything, generic protagonist-kun, don't get the wrong idea! I just helped out because I felt like it, that's all! Idiot!"?

Me too.
I'd much rather have something familiar with a fresh coat of exotic paint than some comical, almost racist effigy of something the creators clearly don't understand but tried to pretend they did anyways.

Weebs don't count.

Did they really name a girl Fille Facile?

>How do you write "Reinhard van Astrea"
Reinhard:
Written as: 勧勇
Furigana going Ra I N Haa To
"advice" and hard "brave, hardy".
Van is easy with Japanese and Astrea is a fictional place anyway.

So if it's pronounced "Rainhaato" AND written as "Rainhaato" in the setting, where the hell does "Reinhard" come from?

>So if it's pronounced "Rainhaato"
By necessity because the voice actors can only do Japanese syllables anyway.
>AND written as "Rainhaato" in the setting,
No it isn't.

This is the one thing that gets to me, no matter how many tropes a writer manages to avoid this one sticks out painfully with characters felling awkward or being disrespectful for dropping the -san in names.

isn't that more or less the same problem as dropping accents when going from other romance languages to english

>people think a shitty mobage like GO is worth playing

>Fille Facile
Holy shit, 10/10, been laughing for 20s straight.

Can't you just assume that the Britannia Empire uses a fictional variant of English that happens to have direct equivalents to all the Japanese honorifics used in the show?

>Can't you just assume
No

Their spoken language is literally identical to Japanese, m8. It isn't the voice actors being only able to do Japanese, the characters literally are speaking Japanese give or take a few things.

So what's your problem?
You don't want medieval anime?

Then don't watch them.

Or in other words, kind of like a guy being named "John" but not pronouncing his name as "יוֹחָנָן".

>I can't be the only one bothered by this shit.
No. You're only the one you special snowflake.

But that's not a romance language.

>It's a reborn from a fantasy world into a different fantasy world story

The problem is characters running around with names lifted out of one language speaking another language that's completely incompatible pronunciation-wise.

It's not even hard to avoid the problem. Just give all the characters Japanese names or made-up exotic names assembled from Japanese kana if you want them to be speaking Japanese in the setting.

But its a fantasy world. There is no reason it has to be set to imitate only one real world culture.

It gave us Jalter, so it was all worth it.

>The problem is characters running around with names lifted out of one language speaking another language that's completely incompatible pronunciation-wise.
You mean like 90% of Americans?

Most of the time they're not really speaking Japanese. It's just represented that way for the audience's benefit.

I disagree.
People should be allowed to use words and phrases from outside their cultural birthplace.
Especially the English language is infamous for it anyway.

... yoanah?

It gave us Babbage and Edison so it's fine. Also made Kojirou the dragonslayer a thing.

That's fucking boring. It's all fantasy, there's no reason to do that.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Then don't make the fantasy people speak Japanese in the first place? That's even more fucking boring and literally only there as a convenience so the author doesn't have to come up with a reason that the Japanese MC can understand the foreign language they're speaking.

>watch Japanese media
>complain about characters speaking Japanese

>Then don't make the fantasy people speak Japanese in the first place?

Why bother? Only autists like you care that much. In worlds full of magic and shit it's nothing much for question.

Yeah, just make the MC have to learn the language for a few years while doing nothing but slave labour, sounds interesting.

I too played Aselia.

Or use a magic translation tool?

>let's ignore all inconsistencies in a setting because only "autists" care about shit like that

So just asspull a magic translation tool or make them super common in the world so it's like the language was never an issue in the first place, nice.

The Troy movie was in English.
The Disney Aladdin was in English.
The trilogy of the man without a name was (partially) in Italian.
People really don't care. They just want the actors to speak a language the actors can speak and, if it's mainstream, a language that the audience can understand.
Something like Glorious Bastards is very rare.

Fantasy stuff usually justifies this by magic language translation that doesn't work on written language
ie everyone SPEAKS japanese but the actual language is something else entirely

Everyone liked narcos. That shit needs to be more common.

>but you simply can't explain people having Germanic names in a setting where they speak Japanese
>Reinhardo-sama can't spell his own name

Astrid Lindgren did it.

>plays Neptunia
>complains about inconsistent settings
wew lad

Those movies come with the implicit assumption that the characters are speaking another language in-universe and the English is just a translation for the viewers.

That's not the case for shit like No Game No Life and Re:Zero, where the main character literally states that the spoken language of the fantasy world is nearly identical to Japanese and only the written form is different.

>The Troy movie was in English.
>program language in English and programs interacting with their creators in English
>setting in America
>American programmers intentionally make their programs speak English

>Those movies come with the implicit assumption that the characters are speaking another language in-universe
Just like anime then.

>That's not the case for shit like No Game No Life
I seem to remember them practicing language, but in any case, this is bottom of the barrel shit and the writing has more holes than the stuff I wrote when I was 13. If you're going to watch that kind of story, you have no right to complain.

Now I'm imagining a modern web novel about a regular Japanese high school boy being reincarnated into Legend of the Galactic Heroes with a cheat skill. Also all the characters are now cute girls.

I'm talking about the movie with this Greek dude.

>Japanese high school boy dies
>comes back to life shortly after
>brings peace to both sides

Oh shit I think I'm going blind. I thought you typed Tron.

>I seem to remember them practicing language
They were practicing reading it.

Could there have been any doubt?

>revives the dead and then ascends to the heavens to smite the invading Chinese who are trespassing on Japanese soil
Second coming when?

That's quite an autistic question theme and question aesthetics, firstly LNs are simply for light reading, they share the same quality reading and level of writing that a middle school writing piece could have, they're in another world there's something called quantum physics in the many possible worlds you just ended up in some convenient world that has a language phonetics just like the one you are used to, but with differences that another language can have and lastly these light type of texts are supposed to be read with suspension of disbelief simply for your enjoyment, you want some actual story that can be considered go read wheel of time or war & peace etc.

oni sama shall not exist in this thread

>it's a Japanese transported into the past mobage
>the past characters inexplicably speak modern Japanese
>even though they come from a variety of eras and western civilizations
>they're heroes hailing from European medieval civilizations
>but look like cute teenage girls dressed in fetishistic anime wear
>MOST IMPORTANTLY
>Galahad apparently walked around looking like a prostitute in the most stripperiffic armor you can imagine
>it's basically a school swimsuit with metal bits attached to it with a belly window and slut heels and zettai ryouiki

F A N T A SY
W O R L D

>No Game No Life
I thought it was hilarious that the anime bullshat the written language into being just Japanese written in the Latin alphabet because they couldn't handle Inmanity being an unholy abomination of three different languages mixed together, with the grammatical structure of a fourth like the ln said it was.

They get magical knowledge of the era they're in so they can better serve their master

The same fucking threads every day thing is making me suicidal.

Gladiators, Mercenaries and Berserkers like to wear showy gear and sometimes literally nothing at all it's only knights that like to go full plate armor.

FGO deals with the living incarnations of Heroic Spirits too though.

It might be better to justify it the other way around, with Chaldea stuffing the MC's brain with the required magical knowledge instead or providing translation assistance.

Mashu starts out speaking English when they first arrive in Orleans, so presumably you're just meant to assume that everyone is inexplicably fluent in multiple languages, including the ancient past equivalents.

Hell, Berserker literally means "wears a bear pelt"
Their title was entirely a fashion statement.

>I personally bow when apologizing to people all the time IRL.
>all the time
>ALL
>THE
>TIME

>European-inspired names like "Fettes Schwein"
heh

It is a matter of convenience, yes, because the entire existence of an LN itself is a matter of convenience. An LN is the paperback equivalent of gas station sushi, you are figuratively agonizing over the quality of gas station sushi. The comparison to McDonalds some people make isn't super accurate, gas station sushi can give you cholera, McDonalds rarely does.

Your LN is a story about a fish out of water self insert protagonist who is somehow transported into a fantasy world/MMO. What language do the people on the fantasy world/MMO speak?

Answer: Japanese.

It is what the audience speaks. Therefore it is the most convenient language.

Nobody gives a shit if they take 2 sentences to explain why or not, because the people who are reading this are currently sitting on a bus on their way to a 9-to-5 job at Zaibatsu Corporation, or some dumb whale-spender hikki-NEET who has started reading this LN because of the shitty 2/10 anime produced last season by A-1 Pictures.

Babbage is a steam powered robot, Edison is Leomon, Tesla is a fucking kamen rider, Helena Blavatsky is a loli, the Roman Emperor Nero was a blond exhibitionist shortstack, I could go on and on about this.

LN thread?

Who here got their copy of shieldbro vol 4 already? I believe some shipped out already while the rest of the plebians have to wait for june(me included)

>MC gets transported in to magical world
>can magically understand everyone's speech
>but not so magically can't understand written form

Seriously fuck this. If he can understand speech he should get text by same stupid logic.

Came here to post this

youtube.com/watch?v=nDiEiXIhlA0
This is a Japanese Jeanne d' Arc (altered).
Why is she so perfect?

To be fair, the first three all seem to be added quirks from being Servants rather than accurate representations of what they looked like in life.

This is Japanese Shirou.

>Fille Facile
Fille Facile means easy girl in French. It's usually used to describe a slut.

And write a new language for every new book written and forcing people to learn them? Sounds like a plan.

>It's a reborn hero being stuck in the body of a fairy, and end up fucking all the girls manga

>fille facile
my sides, la salope

>early flashbacks had him having a grown man's body before getting elf'd
>later it's revealed he was just another shota

Damn this author and his love for shota.

You do realize you don't necessarily have to write an actual language to convey the idea of learning a new language in a story.