Yoshitoshi ABe

Thoughts on Yoshitoshi ABe and his work?

I really liked Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_AIhEzSfW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't watch his shows but I like his Kancolle art.

all his works are decent, but not anything great with the exception of maybe Lain

They're cool. Loved Lain's art.

He has only made 10/10 shows so far if you ask me. I've never seen Niea7 though, how is that one?

i love his stuff. wish he got more work as a character designer.

Its not nearly as good and it's very cheap looking.

Calling Texhnolyze an "ABe work" is a bit of a stretch.

Ah right, that was Chiaki Konoka that wrote it. ABe just did the designs.

I loved it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_AIhEzSfW8

My favorite Sup Forums related artist of all time and I wish his newer stuff was scanned.

Why does everything he touch turn to gold?

Some people really dislike it and it's nothing like the others works that he's been involved with. I thought it was decent and well worth a watch. Make sure to watch to the end of each episode for interesting facts about curry and India.

I liked Ryuushika Ryuushika

Last page.

I don't like his designs and his related works come off as pretentious.

Like what? Lain wasn't written by him, Haibane Renmei is simple to understand and Niea_7 is basically an unfinished jumble of ideas.

kill yourself.

Why is Ryuushika so spooky scary?

I just mean they're the type of things people associate with to look artsy or whatever. You know what I mean, don't think much of it. I'm sure they're fine.

That's probably fair to say of some Lain watchers and even Texhnolyze might be able to be called a bit pretentious in the way that it's presented but as I said, he didn't write either of those. ABe seems to like writing fairly simple works, just look at Ryuushika.

Oh I had thought he wrote Lain. Either way he's the unlucky bastard I associate with them since his style is so distinct.

That's it for now. I might post some more if the thread is still up in an hour or so.

It's an easy mistake to make. I think most people associate ABe with Lain more than any of the other people involved because his art is so well known.

This was cute. Thanks.

Haibane is his only good work.
And even that is plagiarized.
So he's pretty much a hack and can't write for shit.

He draws cute despera girls though so he's an okay artist.

Should have never picked up anything else.

>And even that is plagiarized.
What now?

He said it himself that he basically took the plot from Murakami's "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" 1 to 1 and just added cute girls into mix, so it's barely even writing.
Doesn't even hide it.

Yeah I remember reading about that.
I think he plagiarized some murakami book or something.
It's like really suspiciously similar to the anime.

Lain is my waifu.

Murakami also took ideas for the book from Kafka and Gibson.

>dirty ugly retard
You can have 'er

Lain is cute!

I think Ran is too.

Yeah but remembering her is still painful.

I think doc got hit worse with everything. Still, the little moments with Toyama and Ichise, Ran and Ichise, Doc and Ichise, Onishi and Ichise being nice to each other made it a little easier.

He didn't say so, but when have facts ever stopped the Sup Forums rumor mill from making baseless claims.

Also, I guarantee you've never read anything by Murakami.

I really liked Haibane Renmei. I felt Texhnolyze started strong then went up to far up its own ass but finished strong. I hate and love it when shows feel me with rage or too many feelings

He designs the cutest girls, and that's good.

Despera fucking when?

I should really finish Lain, but I just started on LOTGH. I think I'll drop it to finish Lain and head back afterwards.

Rakka is cute!

Haibane Renmei to me felt flat until they started with the drama about the black-haired girl at the end.
But SoL shows have almost always bored me so in retrospective that's to be expected.

He did retard.
He acknowledged that he used his book in making the story.

>Haibane Renmei is SoL
Fuck no.

Opposite for me.
I enjoyed it so much up until the end with the drama, that was very off putting.
The cute sol was great.
Yeah, that's what it is.
A sol with drama elements.

stay with LOTGH, its one of those shows that you need to experience by watching non stop (around ep 100 you will feel the urge to stop for a break so due that then) once you put it down its hard to pick it back up. they are all cute, Kuu is not very good looking but her personality definitely makes her cute.

It has drama and a vague plot about Rakka fitting in a weird place without knowing where she's from, but half of the show is a somewhat special SoL.

Definitely one of my favorite illustrators if not THE favorite. His Haibane Renmei art is magical.

>A sol with drama elements.
In that case, you'd probably even say War and Peace was a SoL with drama elements.

I was the complete opposite. The drama kind of put down the show for me.

Now you've really triggered my autism by posting it mirrored.

He discussed some similar themes between the settings but never said that, quote, "he basically took the plot from Murakami's 'Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World' 1 to 1 and just added cute girls into mix", unquote. In fact, if you'd read the book in question you'd realize the claim that the plot's the same is absurd. Sounds like you're mostly parroting comments you've read on Sup Forums. Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first to do that.

Also he made cute manga.

I don't understand, even if you don't like drama in general I think that Haibane Renmei did it good, it didn't drag for much long and in the end it was resolved.
To this day I still remember the scene with the train in the room painted black, and to me HR is a 7/10 at most.

The plot is actually far more similar to Wedekind's "Mine-Haha oder Über die körperliche Erziehung der jungen Mädchen".

The SoL stories were ok, but it would've been better to explore the other haibane or just tell the story of Rakka and Reki and leave them out imho.
I'll do that. It's such a long show and only just started the first episode last night. All the character names are too much to remember.

Stay delusional.
He said it himself.

It was just done in a way that was unenjoyable for me. I don't like it when characters suddenly go into full bitch mode, even if it is justified.

>All the character names are too much to remember.
don't worry about it,its a long show and you will remember the names through repetition and with visual cues. I don't remember ever having a moment of "wait who are they talking about?" did you start with the main show or the 26 ep prequels

>I don't like it when characters suddenly go into full bitch mode, even if it is justified.
can't handle people being real? I hate bitch mode when its unreasonable but sometimes people need to vent

The main show.

I remember someone mentioning that years earlier, I'm pretty sure I watched one of the movies based on it out of curiosity (Innocence) but I've never read the book so I can't comment on it.

Well it didn't come out of nowhere, we knew that something wasn't right with Reki (I'm not sure that was the name) from long ago.
It was bound to blow up at some point, and of course it happened in the finale.

Again, he claimed in Anime Expo (2003 if I remember correctly) that the book's themes influenced HR, not that he borrowed or copied the plot from it. Since the plot's different but the setting similar, that's hardly a surprise.

Rakka a cute, a cute!!

You have very clearly not read HBWatEotW. I've seen you in other ABe threads saying the same thing and every time I point out that while the setting of Haibane Renmei is similar to one of the settings in the book (and ABe has made no attempt to hide the fact that the book was his inspiration), the story is completely and utterly different.

It's a good book by the way, actually read it before posting about it.

>Watching the twins grow.
Cute!
I still felt sad about the bird.

Rakka is a retard for bullying.

GET OUT

I want to hug her fampai.

Haibane Renmei is the only of his work I reaaaaally loved. Comfiest anime ever.

Agreed here. I like the daily SoL stuff way better. The drama felt kind of forced and rushed.

How could you do that to such a pure girl

How can you say it was forced? The whole setting of the show led up to it. The drama is what makes HB great because without it, the setting is interesting but narratively pointless.

>everyone praises ABe
>Konaka gets nothing

>blushing
Lewd!
>comfiest
Depression isn't comfy.

And an extra page further into the volume that I forgot about.

would the rating go up if you painted the background pink?

Rakka is made exclusively for bullying and abuse.
Look at her.
Look at this dumb bitch retard.

I like his character designs and I thought that his writing on Digimon was great.

listlessness can be comfy

I'd prefer it to be just a sol show, would be way better.
The drama was just boring and pointless.
Cute angel girls in a cute city was comfy as fuck.

He doesn't think mono no aware is comfy

Forgot my meme arrow
>

Jesus christ that QUALITY
abe is truly a king of proportions

>The drama was just boring and pointless.
It was anything but and is a great example of drama done right. Grow some good taste.

haibane is really comfy

The drama is literally the best part of the show.