Can anyone explain The Who and why this band is pushed by GenX and Baby Boomers as the greatest of all time?

Can anyone explain The Who and why this band is pushed by GenX and Baby Boomers as the greatest of all time?

Listened to some of their songs and found them kinda bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Red-pilled Who song:

youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

you have no political point, right?

hello genx

What? No one pushes The Who as GOAT. They aren't even top 3 of the British Invasion in most people's opinions

Boomer actually.

You have to put this song into the context of the time.

Bands all around the world singing about how we have to have a revolution to overthrow the man and replace them with peace and love.

Then the who, a big band at the time, comes along and says... you're full of shit. If we had your revolution it would be the same shit as we have now.

Sure they were, at least at the time.

I would say the top 3 british invasion bands, at the time, were... the beatles, the stones and the who.

They may not be looked at that way now, but that's the way they were looked at the time.

Sure at the time they were considered one of the bests. But OP implies ppl today think they are GOAT, sure there are big who fans but realistically no one thinks they are GOAT. Hell I would personally leave them out if the top 5 British Invasion in favor of zeppelin, Pink Floyd and maybe cream

Ya but the british invasion is a term for a very specific (and limited) time frame. (1963-67)

Pink Floyd came along too late to be considered part of the BI

heard of Sup Forums?

Yea I never understood why they don't count zeppelin and Floyd. My point still stands that they aren't even top 5 bands from that time

Using rhythm guitar as lead. Epic.

This.

It's essential to interpret things in context. While the Who's music might seem less meaningful today, in the proto-punk sense of saying both lyrically and sonically "you're all such bullshit hypocrites, look at yourselves" to the "peace, love, light, we'll change the world with daisies and songs" musical crowd of the 60's it was very significant.

The importance of bands like the Sex Pistols wasn't because their tunes were so carefully crafted, it was because of what they were trying to express.

(Remember Johnny Rotten was banned from the BBC for openly stating how the British elites and government were full of pedophiles - and this was in the late 1970's.)

The Who used to be my favourite band when I was in High School. I know they seem like your typical boomer band that promoted drugs, alcohol and worthless behaviour, but that is absolutely not the case.
They helped me get through my most tender years, because there is something inherently youthful about their music and Townshend's lyrics, sometimes they're really deep, sometimes they're just ironic and fun.

I used to listen to Quadrophenia consistently every summer, because it helped me get away from the fact my summers were never very
enjoyable...

In any case, here's the thing: The Who were actually against taking drugs. Sure, Moon was a complete junkie, but he had no actual voice when it came to songs and albums. Townshend, who wrote most of them, was extremely anti-drugs, and actually after witnessing Woodstock, became disgusted with hippies. Tommy, for example is an album that's basically about the hippie movement and how retarded it is, it literally ends with Tommy telling the masses that they need to get rid of drugs if they want to follow his religious cult, and they immediately reject him, despite loving him just seconds before.

Townshend was also incredibly wary of the system in general, he never believed in change, and he rejected every artistic movement that came after the British invasion, including punk. In the 1980s he tried to make the band into Phil Collins-esques, but of course that ended in only one good single, Eminence Front.

The Who are not what you think they are, this band has written some really thoughtful music, and only hid their true power level behind this persona of destroying instruments, making Keith Moon into a lunatic, and performing with hippie boomer bands.

Probably because Zep didn't become really big until the 70's.

Remember that the British invasion wasn't just about UK bands coming to America, it was about the the effect of the beatles.

The beatles come and make it big in 64, then (because the beatles were SO big), there was a rush to bring over other british bands to ride the coattails.

So we had hermans hermits, the kinks, the animals, etc. Even acts like Gerry and the Pacemakers were brought over to grab some of those teeny bop dollars.

>Sup Forums exists
>LOL NAH LETS MAKR THIS THREAD ON Sup Forums INSTEAD
>OH AND ILL SAY ALL THE PEOPLE Sup Forums HATES CLEARLY LOVE X BAND
>TRUST ME GUISE TOTSLLY NOT A SHITPOST
>:^)
>is totally a shitpost
>mods do nothing
>Mods warn or ban anyone that points out they aren't fucking moderating.
>Mods are soon going to crank up the report timer to once per day to try and avoid dealing with more reports
>Mods also will start exponentially increasing the number of captcha solves required to report thinking that will be a deterrent

Just listen to Tommy front to back and you'll "get it".

>the beatles, the stones and the who
normie-tier
Early Who is best Who anyway
What about The Kinks, Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Spencer Davis Group?

The Beatles are objectively the GOAT thou

Obviously I'm talking about commercial success within the time range of the british invasion.

That's what it was all about.

(side note... the same reason why the monkees were created)

YOU POSTED THIS THREAD EARLIER YOU ABSOLUTE FAGGOT

Spoiled, decadent Dad band. They enjoyed the fruits of the most fortunate generation in history in spitting distance of WWII and still think they had some sort of "struggle" or hard upbringing.

Pete Townshend was a huge pedophile

Ya, first of the celebs to try the "I was researching a book" line

my bad user, I didn't read your posts thoroughly

Was he actually though? Weren't some of Led Zeppelin pedos as well.

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS RELATED TO POLITCS

MODS MODS MODS

YOU SNIVELING COCKSUCKING FAGGOTS DO YOUR FUCKING JOB

worked though, dinnit?

"She was 15! That's legal...somewhere!" - Jimmy Page

DELET

Oi, you rang m8?

15 is a teenager, not a child

>HOW THE FUCK IS THIS RELATED TO POLITCS
Maybe someone can post some pictures of black cocks to get this idiot to feel better.

lolololol well done full marks

Zep were Satanists and ate cats and stuff.

This, their radio stuff is okay, but listen through some Tommy, Quadrophenia, and A Quick One. Some really good stuff between those three.

Literally Who?

Yeah, but try telling that to a judge in California - where the incidents of Jimmy Page kidnapping 14-year-old Lori Maddox occurred - and see how much prison time it saves you.

(Not taking a position either way on what's an appropriate age of consent...though perhaps you're just making the linguistic observation of the difference between pedophilia and ephebophilia.)

>the greatest of all time
implying they are not