Finished watching all of 2011 yesterday

Finished watching all of 2011 yesterday.

Just how much did I fuck up by not watching 99 first?

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/roasti
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not at all.
99 is completely optional.
You're pretty much set with 2011 and the manga.

Should have read the manga first.

99 has waayyyyyy better music

It's also darker

The 2011 version skipped some things like Gon meeting Ging in episode 1

Sorry not GIng, meant Kite

It didn't skip shit, it just changed the timing on it; No point wasting Kaito's appearance before he's revealed anyway.

What's in the manga that I missed?

God damn 2011fags are deluded as fuck

It would have been a cool callback to ep 1. Instead they showed Kite at the end of the episode and expected people to know who he was. Then they spent an entire episode talking about his backstory with Gon when they could have just shown it ep 1

>it just changed the timing on it
Whiel completely changing the meaning of his reunion with Gon in the process.
>No point wasting Kaito's appearance before he's revealed anyway
You're a retard but it's not like there ever was anything to expect from 2011fags.

Just read the manga from the beginning. 2011 has story and characterization changes and some things it glossed over are coming into play right now.

watch 99 and ask yourself why you watched 11 at all when you complete it

>2011 has story and characterization changes
That's a bold statement.
I'd say there isn't much significant changes in story and characterization.

It's always good to read the manga from the beginning because it's the only way to never miss any detail, but that's all we're talking about here, details.

Summaries are good enough for you.

No idea what you're talking about, but I hope it makes you feel better.

>Just how much did I fuck up by not watching 99 first?
A lot but nothing is stopping you from watching it. And watch the Greed Island OVA's too.

Fucking up at establishing the main character is pretty significant.

How did they fuck up Gon exactly?

Did you like it enough to watch 99 and read the manga? If so, then you can do the best watch order. Now you've got the worst adaption out of the way, you can move on to the better version (99) and then on to the best version (the manga, get it on nyaa). You won't be let down by either of them, and you'll be able to see which bits weren't accurate in the adaptions.

Removed his core motivation, made him generic super cheery, removed foreshadowing of his keen ability to read people.

Nothing. 2011 is the better version and is the more loyal adaptation to the manga. Of course some things have changed like all transitions from manga to anime, but if you want to see something that the 2011 anime version missed, just read the manga instead. The 1999 version has shit colors, shit animation (outside the Ryoudan OVAs since OVA budget is huuuuge) and Killua is 200% more edgelord-nobody-loves-me shitter. Also, I really hate how they changed the character designs and try to make the anime look serious when even the merciless ryoudan have goofy as fuck characterizations.

Oh, the 1999 version has better OPs and EDs, so you can watch those from youtube. My favorite is the Greed Island OP. This is the only problem I have with the 2011 version aside from some minor stuff they changed from the manga.

Don't bother with GI ova's, neither adaptation got it right.

>Removed his core motivation
How?
>made him generic super cheery
I really didn't find him noticeably more cheery than in the manga. Do you have any specific example?
>removed foreshadowing of his keen ability to read people.
Same thing. I'd like specifics on that.

>How?
By leaving Kite out. Kite was his motivator for becoming a hunter and searching for his father, he also mentioned several times that he would like to meet Kite again someday.
>I really didn't find him noticeably more cheery than in the manga.
First episode he's cheery and excited for some reason, while in the manga he goes through more than one emotion which at least gives him some depth.
>Same thing. I'd like specifics on that.
Gon knew Mito was lying to him when she told him that Ging abandoned him.

>Removed his core motivation
I wouldn't call Kite his "core" motivation, but yes, their meeting was important in knowing about Ging. His removal from the early episodes seem wierd.

>generic super cheery
Heh? Did you even watch 2011? He's fucked up and suicidal and he fucking loses his shit all the goddamn time. He shown to have two extreme sides, 200% happy or 200% insane and almost nothing in between.

>removed foreshadowing of his keen ability to read people.
For what? For the part in the hunter exam were he differentiated the monster thingy which I forgot the name? It's not that important to the story.

if you don't mind watching the same exact shit all over again, go ahead and just watch it and form your own opinion on it

Not at all, I watched Madhouse first as well. Do check out Furuhashi at some point in the future though, it's fucking sweet. For me it's the definitive version, can't recommend it enough.

So will the anime come back or is togashi going on his last strike hiatus before someone actively assassinates him?

>By leaving Kite out.
But Kite himself isn't the motivation. Ging is. They might have changed how he learned about the motivation, but the motivation is still the same.
>he also mentioned several times that he would like to meet Kite again someday.
Yeah I remember Gon talking to Killua about Kite in the manga, but we're once again talking about details here, not core characterisation.

>First episode he's cheery and excited for some reason
Because he got the king of the lake and can go pass the hunter exam?

>Gon knew Mito was lying to him when she told him that Ging abandoned him.
Seems like a detail to me. 2011 simplified the thing and made Mito look less like a lying bitch and more like a concerned mom.
Gon still has plenty of other occasions where he is shown to be able to read people.

how long did it take togashi to get to the end of CA arc?

CA took 10 real world years.

DC anime is gonna take about that long

>But Kite himself isn't the motivation.
Kite himself is Gon's motivation for leaving the island.
>Yeah I remember Gon talking to Killua about Kite in the manga, but we're once again talking about details here, not core characterisation.
Kite is extremely important to Gon's character. Not just some guy Gon met and forget like in 11, but a guy who saved his life, told him about his father, and gave him a motivation. He's a continuous thought in Gon's mind.

We're talking about a character establishing episode here, and the first episode failed to give us an accurate grasp of his character.

>Kite himself is Gon's motivation for leaving the island.
No, Ging is. Gon is on a quest to find Ging.
Kite is important because he told Gon about Ging, but he's less important than Ging if we're considering what is Gon's motivation.

>Kite is extremely important to Gon's character. He's a continuous thought in Gon's mind.
I think you're over-exaggerating Kite's importance here just to try and prove your point.
The fact is that outside of mentioning Kite once or twice before the start of the CA arc, Gon's character and actions aren't noticeably changed by the fact that he doesn't remember Kite.

Even though it wasn't ideal of 2011 to postpone the Kite flashback until the start of the CA arc, it really didn't damage Gon's characterisation.

No they changed it, in the manga Ging was Gon's first mentor when he was a child, and the one source from where he got his curiosity about being a Hunter from, and from where he gets some of his world views.

In 2011 Kite never talks to Gon about Ging and is a total stranger.

Gon in the manga especially during the first chapter isn't very cheerful but is actually very melancholic, the way how he smiles is also very different in the manga than they are in 2011 anime and he also isn't half as excitable.

Kite is mentioned multiple times throughout the manga, and is the source of Gon's knowledge of hunters. Kite was Gon's main motivation for leavning Whale Island.

In the manga Gon's main motivation isn't necessarily meeting Ging, but finding out what it means to be a hunter.

No, Kite is.
Kite is the one who told him his father was still alive and about hunters.
Kite is LITERALLY more important than Ging, see Chimera Ant.
Most of the series was Gon getting sidetracked and even forgetting about Ging. When he finally meets Ging, it's nothing special and he even realizes he didn't give much of a fuck about Ging after all.

>No, Kite is.
See Kite tells Gon about Ging, Ging is the motivation, Kite is only the one who told Gon about the motivation. You can't argue against that.

>see Chimera Ant.
Kite is important during the CA arc where he becomes even more of a father figure and where saving him becomes a motivation for Gon. But all of that doesn't apply before the CA arc.

>Most of the series was Gon getting sidetracked and even forgetting about Ging. When he finally meets Ging, it's nothing special and he even realizes he didn't give much of a fuck about Ging after all.
All of that is great and true in both manga and 2011, but that doesn't change the fact that Kite has very little impact on Gon's characterisation before the CA arc.

Incorrect, Kite is the motivation. Ging is the goal, except that Gon realize that Ging was ultimately nothing special.

Kite is undeniably an important part of Gon's character. The manga makes this very clear even before the Ant arc. 2011's retcon of this completely cheapens Gon's character arc.

Yo, hold up, what if
now bare with me
you're both right.

I don't get this. It's not like you can't never watch it now.

Kite was always more of a father figure to Gon, and was grouped with Mito in that area. In the manga Gon's goal wasn't necessarily finding Ging. Ging was just a destination.

I'd prefer 11 in terms of
VA
Design
CA Soundtrack
Atmosphere
more content that was in the manga
Overall ost

other than that I think they both are amazing in terms of animation, it just trickles down to preference of traditional or digital. I can respect both.

>content that was in the manga
Wait, so like 30% of 1999? Because it basically doesn't even follow the manga; whereas 2011 follows the manga religious minus the first chapter/episode 1.

Never really understood how so many people could say Manga>1999>2011: I mean, 1999 is a totally different story, if the manga is your top choice then how could you pick 1999, which doesn't follow the manga, over 2011 which includes almost all frames from the manga with almost no filler.

That's fair.
I only have two volumes of the manga.

Didn't 2011 skip one half of the second stage of the Hunter Exam (the food preparation)?

I love the manga, it's god tier, and I'm not saying that since my order is manga>2011>1999 that I think 1999 is bad at all, I actually think 1999 is better than almost all other anime I've watched so I hold them all in extremely high regards.

Nah, it had that.

>2011 follows the manga religious
Skipped part of the cooking exam
Doesn't show nor mention Maha
Stupid filler in which Killua shows his techniques when he tries to hide them in the manga
Stupid filler lines about Gon not knowing about Rock-Paper-Scissors
Didn't even mention Gyro's fate
Completely removing any instances of Leorio showing off, except for the punch
Removing large chunks of Greed Island
I'm pretty sure that I can go on if I starting re-checking the manga.

Imagine how beautiful this scene would have looked with the animation of the 99 version.

>Doesn't show nor mention Maha
He's clearly there.
What you meant was "Didn't show Maha during Yorkshin" fagget.

I bet it would have looked as beautiful as pic related.

Bisky is best girl.

Nope it skipped the sushi bit.

But it replaced it with something else.
Food was still prepared for the exam.

I liked the color scheme.

No it didn't, it just skipped over it.

good, the sushi thing made no sense

I think Feitan and Frank look pretty bad. Machi was gorgeous though.

The sushi bit was used to further establish Hisoka as a threat, as the examiner was feeling threatened by him the entire time and so was on edge. Which is why they almost immediately moves to kill the guy first who speaks out against her. All of the examiners were supposed to feel threatened by him.

The whole idea was for people to use investigation to find the people who did know what they were doing. Just like the Naruto written exam was for them to use their powers to cheat, the same fucking thing.

That's what I thought but I couldn't remember very well.

Machi is always gorgeous. Especially in the OVA

No it was replaced.
Manga: catch the pork (Buhara eats all the porks without anyone cooking them) -> prepare sushi
2011: catch the pork -> prepare the pork (Buhara eats them all, Menchi rejects the cooking)

The sushi but was replaced and combined with the pork catching part, not skipped.

No it's implied that they prepare the pork in the manga too, they just removed the scene entirely, it wasn't replaced.

It made me laugh at Hisoka

pic related the fatty said that he wanted whole ROASTED Pig. Yeah they didn't replace it they just skipped over it.

It was also used to a ice breaker so that mood didn't get too dour.

As someone who has only watched bits and pieces of both (and not enough to have developed a well informed opinion), what's the differences between the two?

>No it's implied that they prepare the pork in the manga too
Not at all. You just see a mountain of pork skeletons behind him.
That implies he just ate them like that.

Also
>The sushi bit was used to further establish Hisoka as a threat, as the examiner was feeling threatened by him the entire time and so was on edge. Which is why they almost immediately moves to kill the guy first who speaks out against her.
That part is also in the pork cooking part of 2011, which is even more evidence that the sushi cooking part has been replaced by the pork cooking part.

I think you have are seriously retarded.
You don't seem to understand what basic words like "replaced" and "skipped over" means

Manga: 1. Catch pork. 2. Cook Sushi
2011: 1. Catch pork. 2. Cook pork
I hope a retard like you can see that the 2nd part has been replaced by something else and not skipped over.

Good stuff.

I want to see am episode of Hisoka's daily life during downtime.

Pretty much like this, I assume

>tfw everyone losing their nen

Why doesn't he just use Bungee Gum to stick them and break a guinness world record?

Are you illiterate as well as blind? The pigs that that they give to him all have scorch marks and he outright says that he wants ROASTED pig, which if you know English you'd know that roast something means cook it. I literally gave you the scan there so you're wrong about him eating it raw.

The sushi bit wasn't in the 2011 adaptation, as well her reasoning for behaving the way she did.

The sushi bit was skipped over entirely not replaced. In the manga there were only two real parts of the test.
1. Cook me roasted pork 2. Cook me sushi
2011 only had
1. Cook me Rosted pork.
In both cases the only pig in the area was a hard to catch 2011 only expanded on the scene and their decision on how to serve it to the examiner, but he never separated it.

The sushi section was skipped over not replaced.

Poor Hisoka

Since you don't seem to understand what "roasted" means here's the definition.

Simple Definition of Roast

> : to cook (food such as chicken, potatoes, or beef) with dry heat in an oven or over a fire

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/roasti

I feel like if Hisoka wasn't all killy he'd be chill.
Also as someone who hasn't caught up in the manga, what's Illumi's motivation. To use something?

Look at this fucking loser
Look at him and laugh

Maybe your retarded brain didn't quite catch the complex reasoning needed to understand why the sushi part was replaced.

As I have already mentioned here "The sushi but was replaced and combined with the pork catching part"
Replaced AND Combined.

Manga:
-Part 1: Catching the pork, no cooking is shown and everyone who caught a pork passes the exam according to Buhara.
Whether or not the pork was roasted is irrelevant, there was no "cooking part" where each individual contestant had to put some effort and be judged on the quality of their cooking skills.
-Part 2: Cooking Sushi part.
Each participant tries to cook the dish in their own way and judged by Menchi. Everyone fails.

2011:
-Part 1:Catching the pork.
-Part 2: Cooking the pork part.
Each participant tries to cook the dish in their own way and judged by Buhara and Menchi. Buhara is okay with everyone, Menchi refuses everyone.

Even a child could see the sushi part was replaced and combined, nothing was skipped.

I can't stop laughing, what the fuck is this shot?

Why so many HxH threads?

Hiatus is over (at least for now) and everyone's getting back into the series.

The 99 version is literally obsolete with 2011's existence. Don't let anyone meme you into believing otherwise.

>obselete

Nah, '99 had better Hunter Exam, Killua Rescue, and Yorkshin.

Watch 2011 for everything else though.

>Shit animation
>Akira Matsushima
Jesus you are retarded. Also the shit colours are dvd related not anime related.
The character designs are god tier and a lot closer to what the manga looked like then.

>not loving 4 or 5 different versions of Departure! for OPs.

Pray is a great song user, good taste

>pointing out that a character outright says that they want roasted pork
> on the very next page they outright say that the only pork in the area is hard to catch
>In 2011 the characters says that he wants roasted pork
>the only pork in the area is hard to catch
>complex reasoning
Are you stupid?

I guess sarcasm is also too much for you.

I guess understanding simple English beyond your comprehension.

You should have read the manga and you still have to read the manga from chapter 1. Basically 2011 was complete waste of time.

I don't take English lessons from retards.

>nothing was skipped

2011 fags sure are retarded.

>calls other people retarded
>believed that a character ate the pork raw after he specifically said that he wanted it roasted
2011fags everyone.

Superior direction. A visual adaptation shouldn't just be copy and paste. Sure 99 could've sticked more to the plot, but all the visual cues, backgrounds and neat little touches here and there like the great ost made me seek the manga. 11 had it's moments but it could be better. Both are still way better than your regular shounen adaptation.

Not to hijack the thread but when do those ant guys appear in the 2011 version? I'm in the middle of Yorknew.

After Greed Island

Read the manga and find out.