When did you start appreciating good animation?

When did you start appreciating good animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ACCvfcfdoNU
youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtu.be/ACCvfcfdoNU

When I started watching Sakuga MADs

Somewhere in 2014

When I watched Texhnolyze.

Pretty sure it's not a show known for its animation.

That's a matter of opinion; and honestly, OP's question was loaded.

I think it has some of the best Animation and atmosphere that I've seen in an anime.

I thought the SD movie was just a recap?

I don't know about animation, but it does have nice art.

Too bad the atmosphere and plot go to shit in the last four or so episodes.

Well, animation is about the illusion of movement; does it have a lot of moments with interesting movement? It sounds more like you like the show for its art and directing to be honest. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it has nothing to do with the quality of animation.

Indeed it is. There is a movie-only opening sequence though.

well I started with Akira when I was 10 so I guess there, the opening bike scene is still amazing

Kiraboshi!

You're mixing art direction with animation, Texhnolyze used a lot of shots with minimal movements so there wasn't much to animate anyway but they used a visual style to convey their atmosphere instead.

It first "clicked" for me when I saw a preview of Attack on Titan (didn't watch anime at the time) and it was the part where Eren catches himself on the wall and the camera does a 180*

I realized "they drew each frame of him for a dynamic camera in a cartoon"

Now I realize TV anime is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of animation bar a few.

hard to keep my boner down while watching Akira, Metropolis, Memories, Redline, Road to El Dorado, Tarzan...ect

Pure eye candy and talent.

I haven't. I am awaiting my awakening.

Have you watched any well-animated shows before?

Was like 8 and had the saint seiya movie on vhs. Remember being mesmerized by the shiny aura effects and would re watch the fight scenes frame by frame. It wasn't an amazing animated movie but several notches above the tv series.

shows maybe harder to distinguish, he should watch a high budget anime movie then watch a show the difference will be night and day and he will awaken.

when i saw ninja slayer

I've always liked animation a lot, even back when I was just watching old Looney Tunes episodes on Cartoon Network when I was like 5.

>Trigger """animation"""

The more TV anime I saw, especially budget TV anime, the more I came to appreciate great, high quality animation. You really have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs sometimes.

did Michael Bay direct this?

Why would you associate that with Michael Bay? It's nothing like how he would shoot an action scene.

It's probably just that one animator at BONES that really likes explosions and cubes

>that bitrate

I'm not the one who made it, go download the first episode of Kekkai Sensen if you wanna see it in better quality

I don't remember.
I instead remember when I used to think good animation was just a matter of having as much frames as possible

looks bad

>triggered by animation

>he didn't watch Inferno Cop

When did you start appreciating good CG animation?

That mecha in the screencap is CG?

Yes

I thought I gained an appreciation for it as a teenager but looking back I was really more of a poseur acting like an animation expert. Like all teenagers I wanted to be taken seriously, so I became an animation snob and tried to inject what I thought were high-minded ideas into my hobby. I think what I thought was, people who know what they're talking about are always dismissive and critical of things.

Ironically as I've learned a lot about animation my appreciation of its various forms has only grown broader rather than more exclusive.

Got a webm or video of it in action?

Wait, the movie had more than just recap?

Kiraboshi!

See

>saying Akira looks bad even though its the only anime shown at animation schools

Been watching anime since the 90s but since I'm such a pleb, I didn't watch anything but shonen until 2010

>mecha
That's easy modo + years of experience in the CG department. Try characters.

Orange uses modeling techniques to morph and stretch their models for certain perspective shots to get angles that look like traditional animation.
I think they're probably the best when it comes to cg right now because they've been at it for so long.
Usually studios add cg to do things for cheap but orange does it as a choice in their style so its made them better at it

the only thing that bothers me here is framerates,when ever they do cg they always limit the frames to the same a traditional animation and it looks awkward,otherwise that's pretty good

When I started watching anime movies. The animation felt extremely smooth in movies which allowed me to distinguish which scenes are animated well.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with Orange's work but the screencap in is better than I expect of them. It looks more like a closeup shot that's been done in 2D rather than using the CG model.

This fascination with making anime CGI move like the typical cheap 2D anime is retarded.

Well, if it works for traditional animation why should they do it differently for CG? They want to use CG as a tool to maintain the same appearance, not to emulate pixar.

it works for traditional animation because line consistency isn't 100%, its 100% with CG so it makes it look uncanny like an amateur trying to emulate Hiroyuki Okiura

pretty sure they could add another step to the rendering pipeline that introduces some deviations if that's all that's lacking.

When I saw Yamato 2199, the cg was wonky in a few places but not worse than the usual QUALITY, that was the first show where I didn't mind it.

If they want to emulate traditional animation, at least try to get inspiration from animation that's not bottom-of-the-barrel trash. As it stands, a lot of CG anime is carrying over the cheapness of typical 2D anime rather than being inspired by good Japanese animators. CG anime isn't restricted by drawing counts, so why keep the animation purposely sparse?

3D-only is not exactly a majority. they're doing a lot of mixed production. Which means it has to blend it. And then there are established expectations about style.

When I watched TTGL.

That's not unusual, TTGL had a lot of standout animation.

>morph and stretch
toei is in that game too

Nah you can still tell it's 3D, look at the gun and some of the light effects. It's just a nice style of CG.

What anime is this? Looks badass.

Cake Sensei.

Read the fucking replies you goddamn retard.
People like you should be shot.

low framerate also allows them to skip frames that would be pantyshots during spin kicks.

Kekkai sensen

Not to mention it's in the Webm's metadata as well

lol people like you make me laugh

When I looked at disney work

but disney doesn't animate anymore.

I want to murder anyone that thinks Kyoani has "good" animation.

No you don't.

Because it's really absolutely not worth the effort to hide tracks and evidences for something as stupid as that.

You have a lot of peoples to murder if you think you need to go against objective truth.

Some of Kyo Ani's work has decent animation but people keep posting "good animation" from them and it's not really good animation it's their typical

"Let's add 3 lens flares, blur the background with ambient lighting to hide us animating characters on 3s!"

And modern animation fans eat it up. Since most people mistake good art for animation (I still don't know how people manage that, their definitions aren't even close).

You're perfectly right, but Kyoani still has some of best production and animators for TV anime in the business that's a definitive fact, no matter if the retards you're describing are posting the wrong scenes.

>being this much of a pleb

bump

When I was a lad going through my teenage years, I was exposed to anime as it was with Elfen Lied. That was my gateway anime, so to speak. As the years went by, I watched a lot of shit; some good, some really bad and forgettable.

Then I wanna say around '11, when Justin.tv was still around, I caught the last half of a stream of Redline, by chance. It utterly captivated me. I later rewatched the film and just loved every second of it. That film is what opened me up from liking it as a hobby to appreciating it as an art form. Since then, I've watched lots of things I probably would have never watched growing up, but really should have done so. The only thing I really regret about this newfound love of animation Redline garnered for me is, considering how insanely niche these films are, it's hard to strike up conversations with people about them because hardly anyone knows what they are and I can't litter my room with merch or even posters made from fanart because no one is making anything.

I still try and do my part and tell anyone I meet or know to watch Redline. Sorry for the blog, I got caught up.

That doesn't mean much though.

When I watched Hollywood movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag