Let’s have a real discussion on finally outfitting passenger planes with some sort of defenses against attacks

Let’s have a real discussion on finally outfitting passenger planes with some sort of defenses against attacks.

I’m not here for the bullshit “Oh why don’t we just give all the passengers parachutes” because I’m not stupid and understand why that won’t work.

However, I feel like there are a lot of cost effective options that Commercial planes can use:

>Equip planes with high temperature flare launchers to defend against missiles
>Weapons grade chaff
>Equip planes with powerful ECM suite such as the Guardian system to jam missiles
>Attach self detonators to drop tanks
>Advanced defensive tactical training for pilots

Israel is already investing in these sort of technologies, why isn’t it required for all passenger airlines!?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Equip planes with high temperature flare launchers to defend against missiles

These can be HIGHLY effective. I’m not sure if any of you remember the movie Congo, but it’s the defense they used to defend against multiple SAM attacks.

>Weapons grade chaff

Did you guys also ever watch Olympus has fallen? They were able to defend getting shot down my multiple jets with the top of the line chaff.

>Equip planes with powerful ECM suite such as the Guardian system to jam missiles

Northrup Grumman makes Guardian system which there can be no justification for not equipping this on every plane in the fleet.

>Attach self detonators to drop tanks

Here is a picture of a commercial passenger plane with full drop tanks. It’s a little known tactic but drop tanks can be one of the most effective countermeasures when detonated while escaping a missile attack.

>Advanced defensive tactical training for pilots

Even commercial airliners are highly maneuverable if it weren’t for the bitchy passengers. One of the most effective ways to evade a missile is force it to take an angle and then sharply drop altitude and bank away from it. With enough training pilots can learn this maneuver very effectively. This picture is a simulation of a commercial plane executing such a maneuver.

What are you talking about?

>drop tanks with detonators

so you're saying civilian jetliners should be armed with incendiary bombs?

What problem presents?

How about we treat the disease and not the symptoms

You mean get rid of all the missiles? How do you Fucking plan to do that!?

The drop tanks this jetliner carries are typically filled with Tritonal and they greatly limit its passenger seating capacity

maybe kill all the people capable of firing them

That's a lot of Fucking people. You gonna be busy for a long fucking time.

it's a labor of love

The amount of energy required for a laser to shoot down a missile would take up the whole plane.

You retarded mate?

Airlines would go bankrupt.

Redesign aircraft as a concept from the ground up, and engineer them with defense against not only attack, but mechanical failure while airborne, and pilot error/malice as well. Passengers sit in ejectable, crash-survivable capsules or modules which can detach from the primary airframe in case of emergency.

The cost of a ticket would triple. Smart?

>HIGHLY effective
>the movie Congo

:^)

Um, how about being hijacked?

>Airlines removing leg room to fit more seats.
>Airlines charge for baggage.
>Airlines end or charge for inflight beverages snacks or eliminate them.
>Airlines literally throwing people off flights because it's more profitable or just plain makes their lives easier.

This nigger wants Airlines to SPEND billions on keeping the one thing they don't give a shit about (after they've purchased their ticket) safe.

Because, what if terrorists hijack a plane and try to crash it into a building and you need to shoot it down? I know it's never happened in real life, but maybe... :^)

uh i think those are the engines

Where are planes getting shot down by missles?

Put a mechanism in the detonators so that they can't detonate below 3K feet and go inert. That should take care of it and make them fairly safe.

No where, but that doesn't mean extremist terrorist groups won't get access to SAM style weapon systems in the future. It's safer to have them just in case.

This. Like don't mind me, just driving my surface to air missile battery and advanced solid state phased array radar and telemetry station with me for my protection, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

Hepcat, are you Fucking kidding me!? Haven't you ever heard of MH-17!?

No. No MotherFucker.

KLA 007, Iran Air Flight 655 etc.

That's a bomber with engines you dumbo.

I basically don't believe you.

Why the fuck do we live in a future where someone can ask about putting fucking ECM on commercial airliners and be taken seriously? Holy shit if getting SAM'd is a legitimate concern we need to start genociding mudslimes RIGHT NOW.

>there can be no justification for not equipping this on every plane in the fleet.

airlines aren't the government they can't just spend other people's money and get more when they run out

They are a business that has to balance cost and safety. There are thousands of ways to improve safety if cost isn't a factor.

>Not Cheap
>Also not Cheap
>Really fucking expensive
>expensive, also dangerous to the aircraft, and commercial planes seldom use external tanks
>evasive maneuvers in a 737

The end result is a $1500 economy class ticket to fly from DC to Miami.

Hey are you that unmanned dude who posts on the youtube vids about the frog plane that crashed in to the woods?

>“Oh why don’t we just give all the passengers parachutes”
it's better than your idea

I don't even know what that means compadre.

Fake news. You are just making up that number! Are you of Israel?

That's a YB-52 you fucking retard. It was a prototype B-52 and those are jet engines.

there might be one of them flying over your head right now

Well look into it.

You would be good at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU

It must have already got rid of its drop tanks then. Doesn't matter it's not a commercial airliner so your point is mute.

>makes a claim
>source is a movie

Go Fucking play GTA online then! Use a Valkyrie and tell me that flares are not broken as an anti-missile countermeasure!

some sort of dog penis deterrent?

>your point is mute
Moot, you fuckwit. The word is fucking moot.

Flares only work if the aircraft is maneuvering, they're not magic.

Whole point of a flare is to confuse heat guided weapons long enough to allow the aircraft to change course.

Even then, with flares, using radar/wire guided weapons will still take down aircraft.

If the AN/APG-81 wasn't 300 quintillion dollars.

>If the AN/APG-81 wasn't 300 quintillion dollars.
That's not an AESA radar system. That pic shows a LAIRCM anti-missile system pod.

No but did you even see the movie? In Congo they were shooting the flare at the missile and the missile went for it and blew up!

They weren't trying to confuse the missiles, they were blowing them up with the flares.

If trump gives you nukes will you promise to use them on the Middle East?