Why are cartoons made in Japan so much better then ones made in America...

Why are cartoons made in Japan so much better then ones made in America? The direction and scripts just seem way more solid in my opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r0fw_rSPaQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qXpWAO0F7ck
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28544589
youtube.com/watch?v=GxdgCPtanow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because only animated movies are taken seriously in America, TV animation has been considered garbage for children for decades.

Different audiences, cartoons are not perceived as a "serious" medium in America typically, though there are some standout pieces.
Like that, ninja'd me

Bro, have you seen Spongebob? Shit's genius sometimes.

Because the west thinks cartoons are for children and don't take it seriously

More autists who have trouble recognizing more subtle expressions and body language in live action shows so there's a bigger audience for animated TV shows in Japan.

More audience -> more shows produced -> more experience -> better results

Hey now we had some good TV animation the last couple of years.

Because it's not stained by western morals......yet.

Early Spongebob, sure.

>ninja'd
Man, I haven't heard that in a long time.

Some of the batman movies are pretty good.

Confirmation bias. Lots of shitty anime too.

Please tell me about all the great TV cartoons being made in America recently.

American animation is

1) Nearly always geared towards children
2) In the rare case that it is meant for adults it is almost always intended for comedy
3) Quality of animation is not a factor in how animations are judged

There are extremely rare exceptions to the above, however.

Please tell me about the 50 shows that America produces every season.

Gravity Falls was pretty good.

Wikipedia lists about forty new animated TV series for the US (including joint international productions) in 2016 so far. That's not as much as anime, but it's not tiny, either. Which are the good ones?

I guess I was wrong about their output.
But I never bothered watching any of them.

>Macfarlane shit

You've successfully triggered me.

Because American cartoons are made by Jews to push communism and lgbt faggotry. The Jews fear the samurai.

Not him, but that image at least made me laugh.

But in all seriousness, anything anyone could post would probably be flamed, anyway.

Most anime is garbage though.

And some of the garbage anime airing this season is still better than most of the cartoons airing now.

because of the marketing department

There are lots of reasons.

Americans tend to spend way too much money on production because animators in the US are overpaid and the process is not very efficient. Many Japanese studios are borderline sweatshops, and a lot of the big players like Toei just outsource everything now to actual sweatshops in South East Asia. Because of this western studios are a lot less inclined to take big risks because they might go bankrupt trying to do it.

There are also differences between how these industries typically generate profit. Anime usually relies upon merchandise sales whereas western television relies heavily upon ad revenue. You can sell massively overpriced merch to a handful of idiot otaku and make a profit even if your show pulls relatively few viewers. That kind of culture doesn't exist at all in the west: low views means low revenue, if you aren't as popular as, for example, Bob's Burgers, you are going to be airing the show at a loss. Bob's Burgers might actually be running at a loss right now, I think I've heard that somewhere. That sets a really high standard for animated content in the west, just look at the shit Futurama had to go through for straddling the line between profitable and unprofitable.

You also need to consider the fact that animation in the west is culturally associated with childishness, there's not a lot you can do to change that, but I think with the younger generations growing up with easy access to anime and adult-swim-esque content this cultural view might change over 20 or so years.

Honestly cartoons just aren't as big a focus in America as they were 20 years ago. Sure you still have the big players like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry (though their modern stuff will never hold a candle to the works of people like Chuck Jones etc.) but in the past five or so years the actual popularity of cartoons in the west has dwindled super hard. There are probably less than ten notable new IPs as it stands.

Sucks cause in the 90s and early 2000s there were a lot of cartoons that definitely knew how to experiment with and push what was expected of the medium (the use of colors, lighting and direction in shows like Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy and Samurai Jack for example were pretty out there)

You obviously have never watched Mr.Pickles

youtube.com/watch?v=r0fw_rSPaQQ

Actual professional pitch to Cartoon Network

I actually consider this single cartoon to be the prime example of literally everything wrong with modern western cartoons

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!

It's like I've watched this a million times

That's honestly the western equivalent to derivative moeshit, completely worthless.

>I own several kimonos, which I wear around town
But yukatas are comfy as fuck though

Let's not have this shitty thread again.

1) Comparative advantage. USA has a well developed movie industry, so they're better off doing series than cartoons.

2) Barriers to entry. "anime-style" is already well accepted by the public, but non-japanese people adopting this style are often faced with prejudice. So non-japs trying to compete have to cope with the higher costs of developing some other drawing style that also appeals to the public (riskier) or deal with the prejudice of not being japanese enough

RICK AND MORTY IS MORE ENTERTAINING THAN YOUR FAVORITE ANIME

But you don't even know what my favorite anime is, user-kun.

The animation style is certainly ways above western standards, though the animation can be pretty solid in American cartoons too.
Also, I usually don't say this because it's the opposite of being Sup Forums related, but MLP is pretty damn solid, moreso than most never-ending anime series

Shit and Morty is tumblr garbage.

1st 3 seasons of Spongebob were the awesome.

There're various examples of american cartoons with a decent fanbase. The main problem is that america lacks a standard for their cartoons, each author have to come up their own drawing style, which might or not be accepted by the public. So it's harder to enter in the industry as you'll have to deal with the risk of people simply not liking your drawing style.
On the other hand, japanese people can just use the standard in japanese animation and focus on other things.

I liked Gravity Falls and Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. Star Wars Rebels ain't bad either.
I should check out if new Micky Mouse short episodes came out too.
Danger Mouse is awesome too, but that one's British.

In terms of production value and overall enjoyment, there's good stuff that Americans can do, just as there's good Japanese animation.

I get that, but I don't think the writers have to stress too much about the animation style.
On the other hand, if there's one thing I hate about the show I mentioned, it's exactly the fanbase, at least the majority of it.

What? There's nothing stopping you from just learning from artstyles of popular cartoons. Which is exactly what you're describing happening in anime - there's no one big school where they teach everyone certain specific standards that all anime art must fall within, people just take inspiration from other anime artstyles.

Of course all anime look the same.

Still better than Dragon Crisis.

Dragon Crisis actually looked good and had a damn good OP though, it's just the story and characters that were shit.

Not denying it, but there's how people are going to value your artstyle. If your work looks too much like X, some might think your work is inferior to X. Picture an american taking the anime standard artstyle (big eyes, small noses, unrealistic heads, but realistic body anatomy, etc) and a jap doing the same.

All I'm hearing is that somehow it's more difficult to develop a good artstyle if you're not Japanese.

It wouldn't matter, assuming they both did it well. I mean, come on, generic "anime-ish" artstyles do well all the time, even if they're of varying quality. Avatar, Wakfu, Code Lyoko, etc. Half the people watching dubbed anime on TV don't even know whether what they're watching is anime or a western cartoon.

Everything is rotten, from the audience, to the people making it, to the source material.

im a softie for the western cartoons like steven universe, chowder, gravity falls etc.

i also rewatch ed edd and eddy on a regular basis.

Many don't care, others do. You're on Sup Forums, don't deny the existence of weaboos.

We're talking about viability here, not "some people don't like this thing". That kind of artstyle is clearly commercially viable.

Anyway, my original point was about taking inspiration from other Western cartoons that are well-liked, which is what anime artists do with anime artstyles. There's no 'barrier to entry" regarding artstyle like you're talking about.

What, all western cartoons look the same, all have the same artstyle.

see this
this looks very generic, there is nothing creative about this artstyle. Brown colours, circle tool eyes, non-head hair. And the other stuff I can't really point out that contributes to its genericness.

There is some variation in western stuff, sure, but it's no more diverse than anime. Western cartoons put their effort into coming up with different animals to have as main characters, while everything else looks the same, while anime puts effort into stuff like eye shapes and clothes, but generally uses the same character outline.

American animation is all for children and done in Korea with shoestring budget, also western millennial ""comedy""

>lgbt faggotry.

I dare someone produces an anime with a mixed gender cast but everyone is gay

The 90's-2000's animated DCU would like a word with you.

What? Weeaboos are exactly the ones who pile onto that kind of artstyle. "I watched ten anime and can say two sentences in Japanese, I'm such an otaku"-types love rwby.

Most anime comedies end up being unfunny as well, to be fair.

They're just different types of unfunny.

>You also need to consider the fact that animation in the west is culturally associated with childishness, there's not a lot you can do to change that, but I think with the younger generations growing up with easy access to anime and adult-swim-esque content this cultural view might change over 20 or so years.

Ahhhh, too long!

We need anime fans to get to executive positions in the TV/entertainment industry

Because the west favors live action and CGI animation, and has largely become much better at it than the east.

Same applies to the Japanese and hand drawn animation

nah

Don't compare American Dad to the garbage fire that is Family Guy. Showtunes Man has only done voices in American Dad for like 10 seasons now.

Kek.

Anime fans in the TV industry are just going to be horrible Toonami weeaboos.

What's the source on bottom right user? I hate asking but it looks kind of cool.

There's cleary a demand for more mature cartoons in US, just look at the anime community outside japan, it's huge. If so, why aren't american studios trying to cater to this public? There're attempts, you named a few, but anyone trying to enter in this market will have to compete with japanese cartoons, and I'm argueing they have a comparative advantage. That's all.

Japs have an advantage because they have an established adult animation market with known names and lots of experience, not because Americans for some reason can't incorporate elements of popular artstyles into their own.

I'm not saying they can't, they can and they do, but it's harder for them to succeed due to the lack of an established adult animation market there, which affects both the quality of their works but also how the public perceives them. That's exacly the point I was trying to make, damn.

This

Because it's for children, is has to be kept simple, so characters mustn't become too complex and storylines must be concluded in the same episode they began.

Nipjaps better look out though because their overzealous workethic currently guides their industry into a cesspool that will see them up to their nose in shit due running well-selling concepts into the fucking ground while simultaneously oversaturating the market. It's no coincidence that animoo is notorious for how extremely it rehashes characters and plotlines. The west is guilty of this, as well, no doubt, but nothing compares to the vast stage prop storage of anime-productions when it comes to tossing character concepts together.

If OP needs proof, just direct him to the SoL and harem category of any streaming- or torrenting-site.

Gravity Falls is legit underrated. Even its professed fans generally don't get it.

Heard some good things about it, tried it, couldn't watch more than like 2 or 3 episodes.
I don't see the appeal of it beyond it tries to at least do some more interesting things than just the regular braindead cartoon cliches, but never going anywhere high with those.

It's 'interesting' to see a show made by people who genuinely think that Adventure Time and Regular Show are based around 'random' humor and don't understand the weird observations about life experience embedded in them that make them work in the first place.

Gravity Falls has an incredibly offbeat sense of humor, most of the jokes fly way over more people's heads and it really doesn't care that few people will pick up on the weirder things it does. It can be genuinely generic at times, but if you don't see what its doing it will seem like a typical kids cartoon with an overblown plot attached to it.

Gravity Falls, South Park, Adventure Time and Steven Universe are all really good.

Samurai Jack was okay but it actually suffers from not finishing. And it's pretty clear there was no intent to finish in a timely manner.

>by Studio Trigger

What I can't tolerate is little boy lead in cartoons, which happens pretty often.
I blame anime for this though, because their faggy shotas made me hate all little boys.

youtube.com/watch?v=qXpWAO0F7ck

B-but crossdressing little boys are great.

I like how he dodges having to talk about MLP by using its old generation as example, instead of the male/fandom pandering current series.

Different user but it's Nijuu Mensou no Musume. Not a horrible show.

Studio Trigger has not managed a good series yet, so it's not surprising.

Because western cartoons exist for sell plastic toys and t-shirts with hilarious faces, you cant expect western making esque- Hibiki euphonium cartoons.

Someone post the reversed one :D

There are all kinds of factors not just one. Here some reasons.
>Better education
In America the teacher's just care if you pass the class and get a passing grade on those retarded standardized tests. In Japan, there is a greater emphasis on other course like arts and crafts, and even higher education classes in America struggle with teaching kids things like anatomy or live drawing two subjects that are so vital to animation. Because not many people are good at drawing they wind up on television, the good ones get hired by Disney and Pixar.
>2. Respect for the medium
Not just Japan, but in other countries that produce better animations, like France. There's a reason why Je Suis Charlie existed. Its because to be a cartoonist in France is the equivalent of a hollywood celebrity. Americans think cartoons and animations are just silly shit and giggles.
>3. Animator's Union
They raised the wages so high for animator's, even lowly ones doing small shit, that all the jobs got sent to Korea, its the reason most TV animation is done in Worst Korea.

>esque- Hibiki euphonium

> Why are cartoons made in Japan so much better then ones made in America?
Many are better 'cause they do some serious work on them. Especially the animators and voice actors are amazing.

That said, their story writers often suck. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that some of the dumbest shit is apparently what TV networks can peddle best, and will fund to be animated.

I agree. As far as writing goes in regards to serious plot, anime is really underwhelming.
Many of the aforementioned cartoons have a better plot even in self constrained one shot episodes.

Well, I think the Japs really do like 'Akuma Buster Star Butterfly' these days

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28544589

>TV animation has been considered garbage for children for decades.

That's exactly what anime is for japs though.

Once again, ruined by little boy.
Fuck do they need to push one in every series.

King of the Hill is based. Nice mix of Comedy/SoL with occasional drama and great characters.

Main characters remind me of Big-O. Hopefully this show doesn't have a mind fuck ending. Thank you

>That's exactly what anime is for japs though.
stop watching shounen / shoujo

youtube.com/watch?v=GxdgCPtanow

>A girl meets a boy, unable to confess her love. she.....
Yeah japan is totally better on every plane.

just like muh shirobako

>implying than shounen is the trash of the anime
>but every best selling anime ever has been a shounen

If there's a genre of japanese cartoon that isn't considered unsuccessful garbage for kids by the japs (there isn't, but let's say there was), it's shounen. Shounen is the best genre and sales prove it.