Are the glory days of anime behind us?

Are the glory days of anime behind us?

Other urls found in this thread:

anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=3611
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dumb Oshiiposter.

Pretty much.

Economic forces are driving culture and society into shit. If you want good anime again, nationalize the banks. Get them out of the jews' hands.

Everything has been getting worse for years. Trump is our last hope to save this timeline.

honestly i dont think shows like GitS and patlabor deserve to be called the same way as shit like yuru yuri or a genertic kyoani sol.

How are the Kodansha releases of Gits? I think they are both coming tomorrow or sometime this week but I heard there was censorship in one of them, does it make a big difference to the story at all?

I would say this year and some of this decade has been good for anime films but for series, there's been a few I like but I find myself looking into more older stuff.

90s anime was shit. 70s anime was the golden days.

only just for you old man.

>let me compare a handful of shows I remember watching on adult swim with the hundreds of shows coming out currently
No. You're the problem.

>Everything was better in the past
>Everything will get worse in the future

I think there have been a number of masterpieces in both shows and movies this decade but you're right that (if I'm understanding you correctly) this year is looking particularly stacked for good movies.

Don't lose hope, this is a dark time. It will passs and better series will come, people thought the black death was the end of the world, but it wasn't.

They were both great.

For the time being, yes. Kon's dead. Miyazaki is retired. Anno was a has-been as soon as he finished EoE. There are no more great directors who have access to a real budget.

>I would say this year and some of this decade has been good for anime films but for series
See, I feel almost the exact opposite. There have been some standout series over the last decade (Uchouten Kazoku, Tatami Galaxy, Madoka, Kaiba). In film, there's not a lot that I can recall and it seems certain the budgets are way smaller than they were in the 90s.

I got into anime in the early 90s. And I have fond memories of those early shows. But looking back, I can honestly say that the majority of my favorite series aired after the year 2000. Only two out of my top ten favorite shows came out before 2000.

>For the time being, yes. Kon's dead. Miyazaki is retired. Anno was a has-been as soon as he finished EoE. There are no more great directors who have access to a real budget.
You know that movies are not the only thing that matter in anime, right? And the best TV director anime has ever seen is still working. Though I wish he'd stop making Aria sequels and go back to Mahou Shoujo. Or fix Slayers.

Anime has only gotten better, and its mostly because of Kyoani.

shinbou + shaft?

Holy fucking shit, can we go like six hours without having this thread?

Ducktales was GOAT fuck you

You know, it's funny. Princess Tutu is one of my favorite shows of all time, but I've not pursued anything else he's done.

What's good?

That image isn't claiming those things are bad. Just people who think that nothing can be as good as what they enjoyed as a kid.

Also, Darkwing Duck was better. And you're using GOAT wrong.

No, you're just stuck in the past

>Also, Darkwing Duck was better
Woah, you need to get your head checked, friend.

>in film there's not a lot I can recall
Redline?
Wind Rises?
Princess Kaguya?
Miss Hokusai?
Wolf Children?
Little Witch Academia?
Kyoani's franchise movies?

Even just this year we're getting a new Yamada and Katabuchi films, plus Kizumonogatari of course and Doukyuusei looks excellent as well.

I dunno, I think it's been great for only 6 years.

anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=3611

His most well known work is obviously Sailor Moon. Which you can definitely see how it influenced Princess Tutu. But he's working on everything from Gundam and Eva to Slayers and Keroro Gunsou. Chances are, he's worked on storyboards or planning on some shows you already saw. Even if he didn't direct them. He's kind of the Brad Bird of Japanese animation.

He's not even stuck in the past. The past was not so different from the present in the most meaningful ways. He's stuck in some fetishistic la-la land created by his limited experience and perspective.

The budgetary thing is a problem but it has been since the early 90s. I think there are lots of talented directors.

>Also, Darkwing Duck was better.
Have you ever tried rewatching Darkwing Duck? It was surprisingly disappointing.

I own the DVDs for both Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck. Both have lackluster episodes and good episodes. I prefer the characters in Darkwing Duck, as most of the stories for Duck Tales revolve around Hewy, Dewey and Louis. The episodes that focus on Uncle Scrooge's past are arguably the best of each series. But they are few and far between.

>I simply can't discuss the business we are in without a bit of bitterness. Compared to some of the works from the 1950s that I will always hold as a gold standard, the animation we are making in the 1980s resembles the food served on jumbo jet airliners. Mass production has changed everything. The emotions and thoughts that should be so moving have given way to showiness, nervousness, and titillation. And work that should be done lovingly by hand has been whittled away at within organized production systems that focus on straight work for hire. I frankly despise the truncated word "anime" because to me it only symbolizes the current desolation of our industry.
> - Hayao Miyazaki, 1988
There's nothing wrong with anime, you fucks are just just spewing the same lines every generation of consumer has said since the first caveman threw some berries and shit at a wall.

I think this is a good point. The shows coming out these days might be different than what was coming out in the 80s/90s/whenever-you-want-to-place-the-glory-days but that doesn't make all of them worse (though there are a lot of shitty series getting made these days). Just like with music, there was good stuff and bad stuff being made back then too, we just forget about the bad stuff and assume that the good stuff was the only stuff being made back then.

>Things are different than they used to be
>Things will be different than they are now
There's no iron law of nature that says everything's gonna keep getting worse. If people make things worse, then they'll get worse, but the opposite is true, too: if we work to make things better, they will get better.

This

>There's no iron law of nature that says everything's gonna keep getting worse.
He never said they were getting worse. And the fact that you think change = bad just proves you are nostalgiablind.

>people still take this faggot seriously when he thinks the medium has been shit for ~forty years

Nostalgiafags are truly one of the most cancerous types of poster on this board.

This decade had better anime than Ghost in the Shell.

Yeah cause Ghost in the Shell sucks butthole

No, it's really good, it's just that has been better shit in the last six years. Stuff that doesn't have as stale and blatant exposition for example.

He's kind of right. Anime was starting to die by '94. It had a brief revival in the late 90s and first half of the 00's, then died again.

Please note that's just general trends, good staff can produce good shows in any era.

Yea, like what?
No, seriously, what good anime series or movies did we have that goes on about existential crisis and trans-humanism in a good way?

Uhh no, it sucks butthole. Don't fucking contradict me.

And GuP.

He didn't say it did the same thing better.

Soon, right?

>then died again
And then had a brief revivale around the years 2006-2008 and then again in the end of the decade till about 2013. These revivals are much more common than you think.

I don't particularly care for modern anime, especially tv shows

Soon. I've seen it and its my favorite anime film since Redline.

Anime may be garbage now but we have 100 times better fanart and ero-works now. It's a trade-off.

>nationalize banks
>nationalize losses
That's exactly what you shouldn't be doing. Banks need to crash and burn when they make mistakes but as it is now we have "welfare for the banks and the rich" because they're never allowed to fail and get bailed out by governments but it's the tax payers that pay in the end.

sageru

Tbh the only thing I can't stand about anime these days is when there is a panty/titty shot in every other scene. or HSoTD-style physics-ignoring tits.

Other than that, it's fine. I can't wait for the new Berserk. Also JJBA is brilliant/

This sounds an awful lot like random fluctuations and not like dying.

Too obvious.

I like cute girls, so its the golden age.

Oh god I'm so excited.

Gir was insane, but he was made that way!

It was for most peeps

>brief revival in the late 90s
Kon says no.
>"A lot of animation is extremely 'samey,'" he says. "There's only one tradition, one style of filmmaking, and one set of tools. In manga, we have many, many different genres, from children's comics to material drawn exclusively for adults - there's an infinite variety of subjects and genres. But it seemed to me that anime was almost nothing but science-fiction robots and beautiful little girls, and it just gets boring after a while […] Basically, I don't think the animation market will change. Animation based on popular comic books and giant robots and big-eyed girls with shamefully skimpy costumes will continue to fill the screen."
This was 1999. Just face it - it's always been the same shit.

This.

It's all buttmoe these days user, hate to break it to you.

Directors like Masaaki Yuasa or Kenji Nakamura didn't exist back in 1999. He brought more variety to the table than anyone before them.

yes

on style alone, they are behind us. everything we get today is mass produced by the coreans and filled with awful 3D CGI

>he doesn't know about trigger saving anime

So does this confirm that this is in the KLK Universe?

I'm not sure what that has to do with what we're talking about. Are you a different user?

It's the same crap as before. I agree that I have trouble being into anime as hardcore as I once was, mostly because it was more exciting when I hadn't seen everything been done a hundred times over and I had a crap ton of superior quality unwatched anime. Nowadays 9 times out of 10 I'll drop the thing I downloaded because it's a worse version of something I've already seen or it's just flat out dumb. That statement is even more true for seasonal anime because of the very incestuous nature of the current anime market, anime fans who went and wrote what are basically anime scripts in novelized forms, which end up being adapted into anime; the process being repeated ad infinitum. You are left up with what is mostly trite regurgitated garbage, but you keep on coming back because you manage to find that occasional gem.

Yup.

Harmony looks cool too

There are a bunch of other solid movies I didn't list cause I didn't want to provoke >X >good posting. Haven't actually seen Harmony though. Two solid directors on board makes me think it'll be good? I think I'll wait until non-shitsubs because it seems confusing.

It's showing in my town on May 17 with Funi subs and on the 18th with a dub if your'e a normie and I'm going to see it, more because I want to show support for people who licence this shit that because it's the best way to watch it. Still hyped because anime in a theater is cool and I haven't seen an anime movie in a theater since Kizu part 1.

Yeah, say what you will about Funi but it's cool that they're making an effort in bringing anime to the big screen. One day I hope we'll get these kinds of things in Canada too.

the glory days of anime will be in the 2030s

>normie

What are some good violent and sad films.

numbnuts

they were all good

isn't that from the movie?

that's weirdly specific

We're in the golden ages my friend

Apocalypse Now

Explain.