What the fuck happened to Yamcha?

What the fuck happened to Yamcha?

There was nothing wrong with him throughout Dragonball. I dare say I liked Yamcha. Sure, he wasn't the strongest, but he had heart.

Then they suddenly turned him into an absolute bitch. He goes from being a brave warrior to suddenly hiding with Bulma and Launch behind a rock during the King Piccolo battle while Tien solo'd Tambourine AND Piccolo while stalling for Goku to show up.

What the fuck happened? And why?

His faced looked too similar, then he became a new hair cut and scar guy.
Things just don't end up good for characters that do not have a defining silhouette when compared to the protagonist. You will forever be remembered as a jobber in comparison.

It's easy
Yamcha was ALWAYS used as an example to show how dangerous a foe is. So the idea you're supposed to get is "Whoa! They beat up Yamcha!" The problem is that since DB is about Goku's adventure, we hardly see Yamcha do much of anything outside of slap a few mooks or tournament runners around. So ultimately, that effect starts to wear off, and he just comes off as a "jobber" for the lack of a better word. It doesn't help that Hero/Kami's fight is made to make Yamcha look like a complete fool to show how far ahead Kami is than him.

Then comes Dragonball Z which greatly ups the ante on how dangerous shit is, and Yamcha beats up the Saibamen, but to show how little they're fucking around, the Saibamen blows himself up in order to kill Yamcha.

We've got power level ratings at this point, and one Saibamen was 1000, right? Well, Nappa was like 7000 and Vegeta was 18000, right? We've got a record of how much weaker Yamcha was than everyone else there (although I'm pretty sure his powerlevel was higher than Krillin's at this point)

But then you have an entire arc with him dead/off-screen, the arrival of a Super Saiyan(s), and the need to continue a story with them. Toriyama needs a new Saiyan, so here comes Future Trunks. He can't be Goku's kid, so there's Vegeta! Vegeta and who though? Lunch? Who's that? So it's got to be Bulma. Just say her and Yamcha broke up! It'll be fine!!

And that's how Yamcha ended up into this gigantic joke character. It doesn't help that Yamcha is yet again used for the purpose of showing off the villian's powers. Even Tien got a scene where he held off Semi-Perfect Cell, even when Goku was too scared to fuck with him.

And that's how Yamcha became an eternal waste

I don't know what you read but it wasn't Dragon Ball

He was a total bitch to begin with. Toppled by Bulma alone, then bodied by Goku. He was always the butt of the joke. He's had like, maybe 2 or 3 lines that may be considered badass, but pretty much only in his first episode. Even then, he's still the comic relief in that very same episode.
I don't remember if the Manga is different in that regard because I haven't read it for a long time, but I'm guessing it's the same.

Nah, there wasn't anything wrong with Yamcha up until he hid during the Piccolo battle. Then he became irredeemable. Like, he wasn't THAT much weaker than Tien. He could have helped. But suddenly he's on the sidelines during a major crisis?

It would have been interesting and very hot if Vegeta ended up with Launch instead. The kid would have at least three different personalities due to the super saiyan factor.

His leg was broken during the Piccolo saga.

Tenshinhan never even saw Tambourine. The one he fought was Drum, and he got the shit beat out of him.

I think you'll find that if you read the manga, a lot of things you think you know about Dragon Ball aren't actually true.

I can't masturbate to Dragonball shit if any males are involved. The characters are like my brothers, only closer.

Oh, really? Shit.

It's not that he hid, his fucking leg was broken.
Fighting Piccolo Daimou was a death wish on it's own. But with his leg broken? He may as well just dig his own grave.

Despite that he does suggest fighting him with Tien, but Tien tells him to stay behind because if things don't go down right, he'll be the last defense. He does go, but by then, Piccolo Daimou is dead

I just got the names mixed up, lad, relax. And what's the difference how good he did in the fight? He was fighting while Yamcha was hiding. That being said, apparently his leg was broken, which he broke during the Tien fight IIRC? I just thought it was already better by that point, or he got a Senzu or something.

So Yamcha is still kind of cool by that point, and doesn't become a complete and useless retard until getting cucked by Vegeta's BSC.

That is a big problem with Dragonball Z ( and most fighting shonen in general) The MC keeps getting power ups and the fucking supporting cast stays the same or gets weaker. Ultimately becoming nothing more than fodder for the main baddie to kick the shit out of and get the hero real angry for his next power up.

Or characters like Vegita who's sole purpose is to get his ass kicked to show how badass the new enemy is( far more than Yamucha) and that was pretty crazy the first time but after the 300th time it's no longer shocking to see him get his ass kicked.

I would have paired Yamucha with a Saiyan woman. Maybe have a character that was trapped in a space pod after planet Vegita blew up. Would have him in a relationship where he is literally afraid to look at another woman for fear of being eviscerated by his saiyin waifu. ( plus it would be cool to have a cute full blooded female saiyan)

Yamcha wasn't hiding, he on his way to help. He was in an airplane during the fight and by the time he got there Goku had already won.

He didn't have access to a senzu because he hadn't met Karin yet.

I like the Saiyan wife idea if it weren't for how fucking awesome it was that Vegito was the last Saiyan at that point in the show.

Then again, waifu probably would have gotten killed by Buu along with 18 and Krillin and everyone, so nevermind.

I gotta say, one thing I love about Dragonball is how there's really no romantic nonsense. Just barely enough expository scenes that make it so you're not shocked when two characters conceive offspring.

Gotcha. See:

>He goes from being a brave warrior to suddenly hiding with Bulma and Launch behind a rock during the King Piccolo battle while Tien solo'd Tambourine AND Piccolo while stalling for Goku to show up.
Did you watch Dragonball while you were sick or something? You've mixed up various scenes.

1) When Bulma/Launch/Yamcha are hiding, they're trying to catch Piccolo by surprise. Of course, he's already dead at this point.
2) Tien doesn't solo Drum, Drum beats the fucking shit out of him. If anything, the anime did him a favor by allowing him to get some good hits in.
3) Piccolo's only involvement in that fight was telling Drum to pluck out Tien's eyes, roast him (so he could eat him later) and do to display his remains as a warning
4) Everyone thought Goku was dead at that point.

>Well I guess I was completely wrong about everything I said about the Piccolo Saga
>But everything I think about the rest of Dragon Ball is totally true

Yeah we've been over it, I haven't watched it in years.

What did he mean by this?

So when would you say Yamcha became a fag? Was it before that point?

I'm fucking sick of Vegeta. Out of the entire cast, Vegeta gets to showboat the most, even more so than Goku, and it's never fucking enough for his fans.

On the other note, that's why I appropriate shonen like One Piece, that bother to give other characters something to do. If anything, Zoro is TOO strong

If Yamcha wasn't a fag when he was afraid of women and beating up lolis, then he was never a fag.

He even becomes the guy in charge of making wishes to Shenron for some reason.

I never faulted him for the girl thing. That didn't have anything to do with combat, he was always there to answer the call.

This scene was really hard to watch though. The only thing that could have possibly made it worse was if Vegeta walked in while this was happening and shut the machine off for him.

>If anything, Zoro is TOO strong
Yeah but poor Zoro had to suck a dude's dick to get training.

>Watcing dragonball
What the fuck happened to YOU?

The anime put in all sorts of stupid shit to pad things out, that's why you should read the manga instead. Yamcha never stops doing everything he can to help, even after he's totally outmatched.

>not watching Dragon Ball

In other words, Yamcha is... cool?

He's not really cool, but he's the only fighter in the entire cast who isn't a total autist.

I guess that's true.