Is a college degree worth a incurring significant debt?

not since 1991.

Unless it's a good stem degree no. Learn a trade it'll be better for your job prospects.

bump

Why so?

Yes trust me

Concur

If you go for a well paying field then yes
If you're going for some bullshit like gender studies kindly kill yourself

Ask yourself this: will this degree allow me to provide something that people want/need?
Am I catering to the desires of the free market, and will this area of study fit a niche that I can capitalize on?

Also look up starting salaries, employment rate, job market growth and average IQ by major.

College is a means to a better job, not a prerequisite to having a decent job.

>Trust me
>Israel

You should trust a jew

RISK/REWARD

Is it positive, yes. Is it negative, no.

Potentially given the person's work ethic and abilities.

I knew a kid who got a masters in exactly 5 years with 2 bachelors as well, was taking 24 hours of credit per semester with Dean approval at the locked in rate of $4995.95 per semester (that's the same price as 12 hours of credit).

He did that on partial debt, partial savings, and with his internships blasted out of college with a $110K job, and is easily making $165K+ now with debt paid off only 5 years later.

But your average pathetic loser who was barely 2.5 GPA in high school who wants a 5 year plan for a 4 year degree, $100K debt for a major they aren't sure about? Fuck no. This type of person will easily be better off in the service industry until they get their head straight.

I feel like it's all too often people who haven't gone to college that say college is a scam, but really have zero authority to back up that claim because they didn't go to college.
So basically the only way is to go to college and find out if it was worth it for yourself, and even then other people may have gotten different things out of their college time, so that judgement would be different for everyone. Hence college being worth it is a very personal conclusion that nobody else can draw for you.

It depends greatly on what you are doing. I went to 1.5 years at a junior college (local college where hours transfer to full university for much cheaper) and a lot of my teachers were substantially more skilled and I only had to pay like $2000 for all my classes combined. I was easily able to afford the rest of my Bachelor's for like $35,000 and that includes living expense in a major metropolitan city. Also, my degree is useful. Too many kids demand going to a 4 year college when they are still questioning what they like and spending too much money for really useless beginner hours.

I know unemployed PhD's, Master's, Bachelor's, Associates, High School degrees, and no high school degrees.

I know employed PhD's, Master's, Bachelor's, Associates, High School degrees, and no high school degrees.

I know employed dropouts that make more than employed PhD's, and the reverse. Even some in the exact same field.

College can be good, it can be a waste of your time. In general, for the average person over the course of someone's lifetime, it's absolutely better to go than to not go.

>becoming a usury slave
>helping the system grow when you know the system is against you
saged

US unemployment is well above 20%
>You need to get into trade school
Yeah, good fucking luck, the only jobs that were added to the economy since recession of 2007/08 (which technically we never recovered from) were bartending and waitresses jobs.
>but muh uncle has STEM and he is now earning $120k working for google
>but muh friend is now a chef at wendy's and gets paid $400k a month
Nice bullshit stories by 12 yo pol-acks. Don't fall for them.

Yes it is. Just don't go to an expensive university unless you have a scholarship or you are extremely dedicated to your goals and you know you will be fine after graduating. There are cheaper private school options and even CC, or trade school.

But for the love of god don't be one of those people who regrets it years later because you're still stuck at the same shit job you hate and don't have the safety to leave because you have nothing to protect you. College is good, a degree is worth something, and the connections you will make are extremely valuable.

i want a job dont really wanna say what i want, but im afraid of the economy is gonna crash any day now or ww3s gonna happen, bad thing is muh selected service is fucking mandatory and i live in a small town with a fucking air force base, so im gonna get dragged in to fight. So im gonna live life the best as i can and try to get an education with what i got including fasfa help and other shit.

Depends what "significant" means in the context of what you can expect to earn. If you're going into a field where you can reasonably pay your loans off and continue to make better money than without a degree, then absolutely.

Whatever homo snek, I joined the electricians union and its easily the best decision Ive made in a long time. Im going to eventualy get paid 30 an hour to do admittedly dangerous work, but satisfying work.

Construction wages are rising fast. So you don't need any school. And while you're doing construction you can learn about investing, trading or flipping houses.

>Paying back your student loans

Lmao

She'd have to literally be paying less than the interest rate, which implies she learned fuck all in college. It also sure as hell doesn't mean she "paid faithfully".

No.

community college for cheap first 2 years first. If for some reason cc is not under 2-3k and you really don't want loans. Join the military and get free education, join navy so you can just neet it up on the ship and never do anything

Just get an online degree. Far cheaper and zero SJW problems.

Yes, but only if you wield the credential well.

The piece of paper itself is meaningless. What matters is the knowledge and skills it represents.

Think of college as a rat maze. There are bits of useful nuggets scattered around. No one is holding your hand, but the knowledge is available for you to take.

You need to find a field that you can collect enough nuggets in and then use them to navigate the corporate hierarchy structure. Good luck in your journey.

or loan default

65% of jobs will require a degree by 2020
It's stupid but true. The dumb HR chicks have to justify their useless degree.
A trade is better if you are physically inclined

Of course it is for 85% of people.

The other 15 get fuckkked.

That's the problem.

entirely depends on what degree

You can go to college without debt. But if your parents made too much so you didn't qualify for aid they should pay you. Its hilarious how rich boomers completely fucked their kids out of financial aid and they saddled them with debt.

This is a problem though. There are literally like 2-3 degrees that are good right now, mostly CS or CS related.

There are many more that can be good DEPENDING on your school, finance comes to mind.

I think the biggest problem is that degrees are no longer considered(or valued as) intelligence signals. Your physics degree SHOULD be a massive heads up to an employer that you're incredibly hard working, intelligent, and probably have the capacity to learn almost anything. Same with any hard S in STEM, or basically any component in STEM.

Social sciences are weird, they tend to be easy as fuck, and not because of the lack of quantitative courses, they just aren't rigorous.

Biology and it's many offshoots aren't traditionally "mathy", even though you usually take a year of stats/calc/physics/chem for the BSc variant. BUT they are incredibly rigorous regardless in the sheer volume of work, logical thinking, problem solving etc that doesn't happen to the same degree with a Business or Social Sci major.

for you poor amricucks, absolutely

Also, those 2-3 degrees that ARE valuable are getting flooded. That's why if you check le reddit's CScareerquestions, you'll see a fuck ton of unemployed grads.

People have been saying CS is "flooded" for literally decades yet its pretty much guaranteed 6 figures if you live in a city.

Don't fuck up and go to an expensive college

any degree that requires working with hard numbers or a lot of hard science.

We're kind of good on everything else, at least for 2-3 generations.

Technical school really shouldn't be so stigmatized.

You start at 6-figs are a large company. But most jobs are at startups.

The barrier to 6-figs is low though, 1-2 years of full-time pro experience will yield that in a big city(with a big cost of living)

However, the bar is being raised, Master's and PhD's are what you see in most ads.

There area also far more mid-senior level positions that entry.

Source: Indeed

electrician apprentice here, can confirm starting at 14/hr, excellent medical and pension starting 6 mo's from now, steady pay raises each year, getting paid 12/hr for any time at the trade school

I have two degrees. One in STEM
It's a rip off

I'm not sure about CS, but a masters in soft eng. is pretty much worth its two years in experience so it ends up a wash. Although with a masters you don't make money (even entry level 60-80k salary is better than nothing), but you get to live the college life for another 2 years before wage slaving the 10-4 m-r.

Oh I agree, a master's in CS is a very solid investment!