If the U.S. is just a Republic...

If the U.S. is just a Republic, why do we bother holding a popular election if it doesn't matter who the citizens want in office?

Other urls found in this thread:

rnclife.org/delegates/2012/pdf/2012-National-Delegate-Chart.pdf
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalism_in_the_United_States?wprov=sfla1
people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college2.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because fuck you, that's why

re·pub·lic
rəˈpəblik/
noun
noun: republic; plural noun: republics

a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

Are you retarded?

I'm not upset that Trump's in office, I just don't understand why hold a popular election if the President is determined by the Electoral College.

Wow, okay, great definition man. Answer my question.

Trump lost the popular vote, yet he's still in office. How does this work?

the US isn't just a republic

The UNITED STATES is a union of states. Each state has an election to determine who gets into the electoral college.

So what is it then?

I don't know a single elector from my state. There's 29 electors, and I can't vote for who goes into office. How is that """determining""" anything?

Jesus fuck, do you possess a high school diploma? Because if so, you don't deserve one.

Answer the question.

We don't hold a popular election. we hold 50 individual state elections. Each state then casts its votes for the president through the Electoral College. The "Popular Vote" is essentially meaningless, like keeping track of how many yards a given team runs during a football game. Like a "rushing record," the popular vote is a statistic that can indicate a general trend and may even predict the winner, but it doesn't actually count for anything.

When you vote for president you are basically voting for the state electors of the electoral college to pick the candidate who won the majority in that state.

you're a fucking moron, and a newfag
there were multiple threads on Sup Forums during state party convention deadlines where you could go and register as a delegate candidate
some polacks became delegates by default when they were one of the few people to even actually show up

It's a constitutional federal republic. We don't vote for laws directly, we have representatives. the people, states and reps have to adhere to the constitution.

It makes a lot of sense that someone this dumb would be from Florida.

The illusion of democracy keeps people convinced they actually have a choice, which suppresses rebellion before it happens. In reality the elites choose a small handful of candidates who they find equally acceptable and let the plebs select from only those.

Because the popular vote of each county determines the outcome of the state, and therefore the presidency

The electoral college and voting by states are separate issues. The electors are just the mechanism used to cast the votes. It could just as easily be a letter from the SoS of wherever to DC saying "Colorado casts its 15 votes for whoever."

>Each state then casts its votes for the president through the Electoral College.

This is where it begins getting foggy. How do we determine who our electors are?

But why disguise it all as an election for the President then? Why not just say it's an election for the Electoral College voters?

Answer the question.

Oh, no, I just live here. I'm from Michigan.

Okay man.

>popular vote of the states

I thought the popular vote didn't matter at all, at any level.

OP here. My laptop died so I'm on my phone now.

State laws determine how electors are chosen. Some vote for electors directly but generally when you vote for a candidate your vote goes to electors that the candidate has chosen.

i did answer the question you stupid asshole
rnclife.org/delegates/2012/pdf/2012-National-Delegate-Chart.pdf
they put out a pdf like that for every presidential election with all the state convention meetings. you go to the meetings and you can register to be a delegate. yes, its that simple.
like i said, there were threads about this for every state during the 2016 election on pol, we even had pol delegates.

this is an 18+ board

Because federalism.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalism_in_the_United_States?wprov=sfla1

>How do we determine who our electors are?
people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college2.htm

Okay boys, I drew an explanational diagram for how I think this works. If there's something off, feel free to point it out.

>one country
>8 states

>1 state has 12 people
>7 states have 2 people

>12-people-state all vote for blue canidate (1 blue state, 12 blue voters)
>5 states all vote for red canidate (5 red states, 10 red voters )

>1 state has 1 vote for blue canidate, 1 vote for red canidate (0.5 blue state, 0.5 red state, 1 blue voter, 1 red voter)

In the end, there were more blue voters (15) than red voters (11), but because there were more RED states (5.5) than blue states (2.5) , the red canidate won. Is this what the U.S. does? Or is there something slightly different?

The senate & house are based on popular vote like every country in the world. The executive position is chosen by state electorates as it should be as we are a confederation.

Isn't the us a representative republic and not just a republic.

>I don't know a single elector from my state. There's 29 electors, and I can't vote for who goes into office. How is that """determining""" anything?
You also can't vote for laws generally. You vote for representatives to do it for you. When you vote for the EC you are voting for a representative.

Wow you are retarded the Popular vote is not a real thing for the election of a president, the States Citizens vote who they want as president, and the state votes for who their state wanted to be president.

The UNITED STATES of America. so go back to fucking school because a british cunt like me knows more about this than you.

If you retards want your president to be elected by POPULAR vote, DISBAND ALL STATES and form a single Country.

The Electoral College is the most intelligent thing Americans did for a democratic process and this was done in 1787, and yet you cunts cant do anything other than complain.

>to pick the candidate who won the majority in that state.
That's not required by the Constitution. And isn't true for all States even today.
To really restore democracy and legitimacy states should appoint electors by portion of the vote.

>Is this what the U.S. does? Or is there something slightly different?
States get a +2 just for being a state, the EC is a fixed number that is distributed by population after.
Other than DC that gets 3.

>But why disguise it all as an election for the President then? Why not just say it's an election for the Electoral College voters?
Because you're voting for a group of EC voters based on who they've pledge to vote for.

Every state has people that vote for both parties. however because we don't count pop vote whoever is most pop in the state wins all the elector votes in the state most of the time, Maine for example. So their are plenty of Dems in every city in the US but some of them get over ridden by all the Repubs in the rest of the state, which win the state.

To give the people the illusion of choice