Why do Japs have hardons for shitty, useless MCs...

Why do Japs have hardons for shitty, useless MCs? Do they really see themselves reflected in the cowardice and failures of the average anime MC? Surely a person with even a vague net positive in the 'self-esteem' category can hold nothing but contempt for the MC. Surely, Japanese men aren't as pathetic and effete as the stereotype makes them out to be, right?

But people with self-esteem have lives. Anime is for people who have nothing to do. Surely you know this?

Even if you're a bottom-feeder, does a piece of garbage really like seeing his failures transposed to an anime world instead of an idealized version of himself?

No because the loser MCs are still surrounded by cute girls who love them.

I think your brand of loser is contemptible.

>being this new

It's so the shitty, useless otaku that watch the show can self insert as the MC. Lurk more, watch more anime.

>Surely, Japanese men aren't as pathetic and effete as the stereotype makes them out to be, right?

They're worse.

I've seen hundreds of anime you fucking projecting faggot. I've gotten to the point that a series is instant-drop if the MC isn't in any way capable. That's 95% of anime.

>I've seen hundreds of anime you fucking projecting faggot

Clearly not if you didn't understand why MCs are usually shit. Either that or you were very new to Sup Forums.

>I've gotten to the point that a series is instant-drop if the MC isn't in any way capable

Same. I also insta drop if the setting is a school or the MC is an "average" high school student. Both are huge red flags for a fucking terrible series.

I don't get it because it's a pathological path to escapism. I'm an average faggot in real life, I don't need to see my average faggot self get transposed to a world where I'm berated by magical girls that could easily murder me but for some reason like me because I'm such a nice guy.

>watching ecchi and haremshit
>ever
It's your own fault.

>Why does this thing happen in anime? What's wrong with Japan?
When will you people shut the fuck up?

"Average" is used incorrectly in this context. The people view themselves as "average", but really they're borderline or full blown forever alone autist NEETS that can't or won't interact with other humans despite desperately craving human interaction. As a result, they turn to anime as a replacement for basic human interactions and affections. So yes, it's a pathalogical path to escapism, but that's what the whole medium is founded upon. Without it there wouldn't be enough money to sustain the few gems that Japan occasionally shits out.

Find a new medium if you want action heroes. You shouldn't be watching anime for the male MCs, I don't get why people have such a hard time with this.

They make for easy 'everymen', especially since they make everything around them more interesting in comparison.
Both types are good for wish fulfillment material but it's more comforting to be able to be the same person and still loved.

But there are plenty of action heroes in anime

Because useless/faggot MCs are the only time you get lines like this.

It just breaks my ability to suspend disbelief when I see women falling in love with a guy with zero redeeming qualities and feels like a farce.

Not enough for all the people who keep complaining about betas, apparently.

I swear, every time someone complains that their suspension of disbelief is broken it sounds like they're saying "something unrealistic happened, so that broke my suspension of disbelief!" That's not how it works. You accept unrealistic things because you are suspending your disbelief. If women falling in love with people they wouldn't fall in love with breaks your suspension of disbelief, especially after seeing it eight million times which should have acclimated you, then you might just not be cut out for fiction and should stick to history books and stuff.

It works that way IRL to a degree.

But those dudes are manly motherfuckers though.

Faggot MCs tend to cross a mental anguish threshold. Like Shinji's patheticness makes more sense than his successors that aren't Takato or early TTGL Simon.

women are irrational beings.

It's like asking why women for for the dickhead that treats them like shit.

>It's like asking why women for for the dickhead that treats them like shit.

Except that's already known.

Alpha = you get women

Beta = you don't get women

I don't want to start Sup Forums shit, but both women are men are irrational about love. That's sort of a whole big thing.

It's because Japanese people relate to them.

There is no real middle ground with people nobody wants an mc who picks up bitches left and right with ease because they can't self insert at all. Useless MC is just used to make a presence for a loser to self insert as something I feel causes more problems is that the girl they go for is literally perfect in looks, academics, sports, etc. Girls should have a flaw somewhere in their being because perfect girls tend to be boring. A good example is the girls from that new series Criminale! in which every single one has some fucked up criminal trait that makes them far more amazing than the usual perfect girl.

I really will never understand how people are apparently so enraged by the sight of people being passive and non-confident. It just baffles me.

>nobody wants an mc who picks up bitches left and right with ease

Except the entire harem genre is at odds with that claim.

How it goes. There's no way dickless homos get bitches unless they have money.

>Relating to fag MCs

Japanese men really are pathetic.

They get a lot of screen time

I meant in a sense that the guy is literally a super being on par with the usual females the usual harem protags go for. If the guy is perfect in everything just like the girl who the fuck would want to read it? What needs to happen is that the girls need to be brought down a peg from perfect beings to flawed individuals.

A beta MC is like being forced into a cuckold chastity cage. Like, you have to empathize with this fucking loser who in reality would be an absolute boot licker. It's infuriating and completely strips me of my agency.

No one knows how to write alpha MCs people can relate too. They are either obnoxious or somehow have less of a personality than dense MCs.

It feels good that I could fuck all these girls IRL if need be. You guys need to get /fit/ and have some nuts if you want to be alpha.

>alpha is a secretly nice guy with a heart of gold

done

Well duh if the guy already has everything what is there to write about? He'd pick up the girl in record time, have sex with her, get married, die of old age.

because nerds complain about Mary sues and Gary sues so they have to make the MC a shitter who can't do anything right

>cuckold
At least I know what kind of person gets annoyed at this, I guess.

Its more of a I feel bad for the girls in said series than trying to relate with a pathetic herbivore.

>baiting

Alpha minus MCs have been done before. They don't fuck bitches immediately but they don't live completely in fear of them wanting their dicks. Pic related

Who is Akatsuki Ousawa?
I'll take Fu"jo"shi for $2000 Alex-kun

>baiting

Not at all. You know I'm right; if these girls were real then you fags wouldn't have a chance, so why even complain about how your shitty self insert is too pathetic for even you.

Middle grounds exist.

Its just easier to write an extreme.

>Alpha minus MCs have been done before.
Off the top of my head I can't think of them ever appearing in a harem, but mostly because if they are alpha there wouldn't be much of a story.

It's not made to be realistic. The MC doesn't need the redeeming qualities of the 3d world to attract 2d girls. The girls are attracted to qualities he already exhibits.

Who's talking about harems anyhow?

Sorata isn't from a harem and he's the poster boy of shiteating MCs.

Why waste time writing a good or middle ground MC when all the nerds do is focus on the girls anyways?

I assumed harems because that is where the useless MC's usually appear? I mean if it's anything other than a harem the useless mc is bound to develop into a champion to beat whatever problem arises.

Western fans, or rather faggots on Sup Forums do. Nips eat that shit up fine. It's all about living out a fantasy.

>Why do Japs have hardons for shitty, useless MCs?
>there is like 3-4 threads about dumbass:zero
Guess its not only japs.

I literally only like Re:Zero because I hate the MC and every other character, and look forward to seeing them suffer deeply. Does that still mean I have shit taste?

>MC is another Yusuke Kobayashi voiced thing

Faggot MCs seem to be his role now.

>Why do Japs have hardons for shitty, useless MCs?
Because the journey is more important than the destination. You could start out with a badass protagonist, or you could see the useless protagonist evolve into a badass. Which do you think is more fun for a long term, ongoing series?

Because Elevens are broken humans

>Surely a person with even a vague net positive in the 'self-esteem' category can hold nothing but contempt for the MC.

That's not the target audience of Harem shows.

I know the girls are the thing but you can at least have a passable self-insert

>self-insert
>passable

Other genres with more engaging characters already cater to people with any self-esteem, the Harem shows are for the rest.

Doesn't make it acceptable to make neutron star dense MC or omega males.

Just because you're a LCD genre means effort shouldn't be put into it.

But that's the whole point.

Harem isn't a genre that lends itself to telling good stories or showing credible character interactions, it is shallow by definition; no amount of effort can prevent it.
When someone decides to watch a Harem show he's just looking for brainless solace, that's why brainless personalities are integral to it; otherwise he'll just watch a different genre.

It's the same reason CGDCT shows don't have deep storylines, Shounen shows don't have strong romance, etc...

Different content for different needs.

The "badass" protagonist honestly. The
"useless" protagonist is usually the same old long-winded story about some "underdog" becoming worth a shit. It's the standard go-to as writing a protagonist and demands investment to get anything out of it. But it doesn't mean it's always worth it.

The "badass" character is more of a gamble. There's no obvious trajectory like "zero to hero" so you think about how to make things interesting. A great personality, how they overcome obstacles, maybe they have another goal that doesn't involve increasing their self-esteem. Lots of possibilities. "Badass" doesn't even mean OP -- Yusuke was always badass but still had to grow in strength and power.

Anime MCs are just a Japans version of the Spilling your Spaghetti stories.

I found Kazuma from Konosuba to be really refreshing. I don't think I've seen a male MC that snarky since Kyon.

I'm not after action heroes, just characters with an actual personality.