Can you guys redpill me on meditaiton?

Can you guys redpill me on meditaiton?

I feel like media has been shoving this down a little too much, like a miracle cure for everything they can think off.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/wSlw
news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2006/02/meditation-found-to-increase-brain-size/
archive.is/t4x6x
washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/05/26/harvard-neuroscientist-meditation-not-only-reduces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/
dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/MCTB;jsessionid=724101A9433ABCC269CB73F7CA399CE0?p_r_p_185834411_title=MCTB
deoxy.org/annex/Eight_Lectures_on_Yoga.pdf
insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/living-two-traditions/
webdelprofesor.ula.ve/humanidades/elicap/en/uploads/Biblioteca/bdz-e.version.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=WkxSyv5R1sg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, white man. Sit around doing nothing like the Indians. Hours and hours every day of doing nothing is how you find happiness!

There's a learning curve and at the end of this track is a cake with chocolate sprinkles of insanity.

More like something to do with my mind when I can't be on Sup Forums, I live in a lefty area.

Don't you japaneses do it a lot too? I mean with Zen buddhism and stuff.

It can be great for many things.
It is proven to expand brain mass and aid in the development of a larger brain. It takes discipline to learn and can be seen as a normal development route for humans. Stress is reduced; clarity is increased. You'll be asking yourself why you hadn't done it earlier in your life. All in all, a great experience, and a lifelong investment with great dividends, in your giving to society and your receiving health.

It's an extremely powerful tool.

Very few people can use it properly, if at all though.

It seems to have similar benefit to what prayer does, but it's secular and foreign so they can promote it with a clear conscience. I've heard of atheists that pray for the psychological benefits.

It's just listening to yourself breathing.

He's probably just some baka gaijin looking for slanty pussy, or a sodier.

it's called anti-social personality disorder.
have a seat __/

Forgot a source, how silly of me! If you do not begin meditating after feeling compelled to try, you are surrendering your spirit.
archive.is/wSlw
>news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2006/02/meditation-found-to-increase-brain-size/
archive.is/t4x6x
>washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/05/26/harvard-neuroscientist-meditation-not-only-reduces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/

>Listening to your breathing
>Meditation
Clear your mind, faggot

just like mushrooms, peyote and acid.

Useless and non-productive, an absolute waste of time. If you want to fix your problems or whatever, just change your mindset and do what you need to do.

>oy vey you're not being (((productive)))
Thank you chaim, you truly are my greatest ally

Meditation opens up your mind to be influenced by (((them))). Don't fall for it.

It's great when used correctly. You spend less time conflicted and directionlessly angry. If you don't get addicted to the emptiness of the Void it's far superior to (((drugs))) or (((therapy))).

Discipline is a brain muscle.
It helps everybody. It's potential is incredible.
Yes

I can enlighten you OP. The masters say that when the mind is weak and wanders, it is like a raging river. When you have control and it is calm, it is like the morning glass of a pond.

Try to sit down for 5 minutes, and think about an apple, only an apple. Visualise an apple. Your mind will wander unto things you dont' even care about. You will forget you were even supposed to be thinking about an apple.

When you make this transformation, there are amazing things that happen to your mind, and neuroscience has proven it many times.

Completely agree. Even the ADHD of individuals can wash away. It requires serious work, but is a progressive necessity for individuals looking to breathe life.

it's real shit but like most real shit things normies get a hold of it has been stripped down to meme levels of uselessness and packaged for consumption by normies with too much time and money and not enough desire to actually commit to a serious understanding/program of what they're actually doing
If you're not learning about the three characteristics, mastering asana, pranayama, and the jhanas, you are doing bullshit

required reading
dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/MCTB;jsessionid=724101A9433ABCC269CB73F7CA399CE0?p_r_p_185834411_title=MCTB

deoxy.org/annex/Eight_Lectures_on_Yoga.pdf

What technique would you recommend to start?

It got answer to everything and even give you unexpected control over your world, as long as you actually know what you're doing.

It's good for training focus (specifically thinking of the type of meditation where you focus only on your breathing).

It also disassociates automatic thoughts. Again, it's a process of quelling them when you're focusing on your breathing.

All without any religious garbage.

I'm sure for focus, it's extremely obvious how it will improve your life. As for automatic thoughts (which you may not even be aware of unless you know to look for them)... Quelling them will stop dumb negative thoughts from intruding and causing you to respond harshly in situations that don't call for it. Not having that kind of thought is good for stress levels, too.

Zen and Vipassana are the only bro-tiers

Avoid mysticism and religious baggage, view it as a secular practice. Start with concentration meditation. Simply put, just sit down and focus all of your mental attention on a single thing. An object in your field of vision, the sound of your breathing, whatever. If its comfortable for you, you can sit lotus and close your eyes but that's really not strictly necessary.

Once you're doing that, just try and keep all your mental attention on that object. If any thoughts arise, gently quiet them. Don't forcibly suppress them, just refocus and try again. Do this for 2-10 minutes, either by setting a timer or stopping when you get bored.

The goal is to build concentration and clear the mind. Not to reach transcendence or any gay shit like that.

Vipassana.

The other stuff is supposedly good for mental health, but vipassana can really do a lot more for it because you're a few steps closer to perceiving reality for what it is.

What is reality, according to vipassana?

Meditation and hypnosis are essentially the same thing.
Its a higher state of conciousness, people get different feelings, you can feel like you are floating, get pleasant tingling feelings, and you can just feel really nice and chilled for even a few days after sometimes.
I prefer hypnosis as you can actually learn things while in this state and it really does work. You could lose weight, stop smoking, be more confident, you could do whatever you want.
Its probably one of the nicest feelings you can experience. Try it. Nothing bad will happen. Once you have got the hang of 'going under' then you will find meditation a lot easier

I mean, on a daily base, thats it, but if you wanna try hard, sometimes the boredom is a good challenge, it feels for me like, you feel bored, then a little anxious, maybe more anxious than without meditation, then you learn to quiet that anxiety by going back to the concentration subject, and feel the boredom on a new light, until trivial stuff feel better, i remember after meditating for some time, that i realized, how fucking good it was to even feel my own breathing at the time.

fucking normie

Meditation meme started when technology took off and people started sperging out at fax machines and traffic jams. It's to the nth degree now that people are always on their fucking phones or "binge watching" soap operas. Go hike into the wilderness about 5-10 miles and just find a quiet spot and camp for a week, alone or with a dog for safety. You will feel sick when you get back and see people watching tv or staring at their phones. Meditation is a micro disruption in the overstimulation. Reading a book is just as effective, but read something provoking, not smut. Even better, go out and find a stream and fish it. Fishing is extremely effective.

chung dong pao, ming dong, kung fu foo, po dunk chink, xao faur nau muy frand

Putting your phone down is a good start

Hypnosis doesn't work for everyone through, meditation as hard as it is on the beggining, is better on the long term since it creates a bigger discipline.

That which you can observe with your senses in the here and now

Eh the present-moment pop-mindfulness stuff is absolute garbage from a Buddhist perspective.

Meditation in general can be like a powerful tool or drug, it isn't a panacea and there are risks if not using the tool properly. There are many ways to do it right and many more ways to do it wrong or at least just waste a bunch of time while only becoming mildly relaxed.

This is a huge, complex subject and to really drill down into it you have to geek out. Most Westerners are probably better off studying things like Greek stoicism.

Look into vipasana, their methodology is good just don't believe their hodwash without investigating

>tfw i was honest in my formulary for the Vipassana retreat but they don't accept people that already tried suicide
Can i try to learn this at home?

Neither Zen nor Vipassana are specific techniques.

Vipassana as it is commonly understood by normies comes from the neo-Burmese tradition that made it up in the late 1800s, it doesn't resemble traditional approaches and is extremely limited.

So there are different realities? A dog can smell stuff I can't, insects see in different wavelengths, some creatures can hear that which I cannot. I was under the impression I only get a part of reality.

Sure man

Check out the Vipassana forums

Protip: spend a couple days on anapanasati first to sharpen you up for vip

I don't know if there's an objective reality beyond my senses and brain. But I suspect that a calmer and more trained mind is helpful in sensing what I'm able to sense

So then how the fuck do I do it "right"

>But I suspect that a calmer and more trained mind is helpful in sensing what I'm able to sense
Stands to reason.

Investigate a couple techniques and settle on one that works for you, same as anything

Thanks man, i'll look onto it, also i've went to a Zen temple for meditation the other day and kind liked the style, i plan on trying it more, going there for longer meditation sessions, is there a problem in trying more than one technique? Should i first focus on one or the other?

This. People who fawn over meditation and white girl discovery trends think it's some kind of mindblowing revelation that if you remove yourself from the teets of modern titillation and constant stimulation for 10 minutes you might have a cohesive thought.
I'd actually welcome some far east mysticism enlightenment angle to it, at least then you don't sound quite so much like an addict to self indulgence.

Be careful with equivocating between an ontological reality and using the term "reality" to mean the phenomenological world a mental agent inhabits. The tradition you and user are referring to only makes passing references to ontology and focuses on "the all" as a phenomenological model encompassing one's perceptions, thoughts, feelings, volition, and so forth.

If pressed, most from that tradition would side-step the question about the actual nature of reality as a distraction from their goal or what they prioritize, which is the reduction of unpleasantness.

Meditation is legitimately a great thing. Studies prove that it can heighten pain tolerance, etc etc.

But actual GOOD meditation necessitates a lot of time and effrt and learning. What passes as mediation is just slow breathing with your eyes closed, which does WONDER when you are stressed/anxious but it's still not meditation, and it works with your eyes opened too, and standing, anytime.

I learned Chinese at John McCaine University

That depends on what your goals are. Even the various sects of Buddhist have different conceptions of the purpose of practice, though they might appear subtle to outsiders.

As I mentioned, this is a huge topic.

>maybe read some Aristotle, you're not quite ready to sit in the lotus position and not think for awhile

You are a pretentious faggot.

I just want to be great. Muh self improvement meme or whatever.

the hindu system of yoga is the most accessible

I don't think so, as long as you do one at a time. Take a look at the results, too β€” what happens to the ones that do it regularly? Do they become chilled out or numb robots or cult members?

I think it might potentially be dangerous to mix and match while meditating tho β€” give fair trial to techniques, but be wary of sticking techniques together

>thinks meditation is just not thinking for a while

The serious contemplative traditions are extremely involved, most westerners are looking for something shallow and relaxed like time-out time for an hour a day to 'chill and not think' like you do, and as such they are better off with stoicism or being cozy with a book.

Just look at what Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche goes as far as to say:

"On the contrary, the dharma was devised specifically to expose your failings and make you feel awful. ...It is such a mistake to assume that practicing dharma will help us calm down and lead anuntroubled life; nothing could be further from the truth. Dharma is not a therapy. Quite the opposite, in fact; dharma is tailored specifically to turn your life upside down β€”it’s what you sign up for. ... If you practice and your life fails to capsize, it is a sign that what you are doing is not working. This is what distinguishes the dharma from New Age methods..."

Really, stick with your feel-good timeouts in lotus position. Call that 'meditation' if you want.

Study Dzogchen.

Thanks for the answer man, i guess i'll stick with Zen for a while, since i can have guidance from the monks, so when i try Vipassana, even if i learn alone, it won't feel so alien to me.

Yeah man go for it. Lots of value in silent retreats and the like

If you don't mind sharing, what system of Zen do you practice? Or do you just do some kind of general zazen?

>what system of Zen do you practice?
CAPSLOCK REALLY UNLEASHES THE STRESS MY FRIEND, SERENITY NOW!!!

>I pray that death will not come and find me still unannihilated

I know little to nothing of buddhism, but from the bits I hear from Alan Watts, this is what you have echoed in my mind.

Sometimes a deathly breakup will do wonders to an individual.

>Can you guys redpill me on meditaiton?

It develops mental discipline and patience.

>I feel like media has been shoving this down a little too much, like a miracle cure for everything they can think off.

Corporate media wants to blow everything out of it's proportions so they can add sensational and click-bait articles for more advertising revenue. Not only that they'll exploit stuff related to health and fitness to advertise products like books and medicine when ever they can.

The truth about meditation is that it's just a method to re-organize or defragment your brain by simply letting it rest for a bit. You can do it anywhere and most of the stuff is just about avoiding things that can distract you while you meditate like uncomfortable position, things that happen around you or noises.

Some say it's good to try to not think of anything and gently catch all your thoughts that surface and throw them away. Some recommend just going with the flow and diving deep to whatever thoughts that may surface.

It's really no miracle cure for everything, but considering how big part our brain plays in our lives it can lead to one making better choices and less vulnerable to addictions indirectly improving ones quality of life.

I do Vipassana (and those Goenka retreats sometimes b/c one in my area), but Zen strikes me as very similar. Good article by a guy who did both:

insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/living-two-traditions/

webdelprofesor.ula.ve/humanidades/elicap/en/uploads/Biblioteca/bdz-e.version.pdf

An real introduction for beginners, not paraphrased and dumbed-down.

No, it's actually a lot deeper than that.
You have to read a book on retarded nonsense and act self-important about to others.
That's what being enlightened is all about.

There are some similarities, for example post-noting Vipassana is somewhat similar to early Soto preliminary approaches.

Beyond that my impression is that the they are more different than similar, especially in regards to how conceptuality and arising phenomena are viewed, and the role of cognition.

I don't really agree with the article's characterization of various things. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely useful. Disregard all of the usual leftist bullshit surrounding it, and it is a great way to calm yourself, collect yourself and empty your head of pointless trash. I suggest a dude named Osho and his Orange book. It is a set of dozens of meditation methods from which you can choose the one that suits you best -no bullshit, no ridiculous Facebook poses, no Fair Trade clothes, no Indy music LP for 25 bucks, just advices..

Main most favorite one is Full stop - I go down the street, rush from here to there, from job to family life, from stress to stress and then I suddenly without preparation just stop. it feels as if my worries just continue walking forward and I have completely clear mind.

Yeah, I dunno. With meditation you're talking about an emptying of delusion, so you can really end up fussing over the details and theory when you'd be better served by just sticking to one thing for a while

>Osho
>"Uday Mehta saw errors in his interpretation of Zen and Mahayana Buddhism, speaking of "gross contradictions and inconsistencies in his teachings" that "exploit" the "ignorance and gullibility" of his listeners.

>The sociologist Bob Mullan wrote in 1983 of "a borrowing of truths, half-truths and occasional misrepresentations from the great traditions"... often bland, inaccurate, spurious and extremely contradictory".

>Hugh B. Urban also said Rajneesh's teaching was neither original nor especially profound, and concluded that most of its content had been borrowed from various Eastern and Western philosophies."

Osho was a huge goofball that loved inhalants.

Just look up Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. Every spiritual practice is derived from one of the 112 techniques.

>With meditation you're talking about an emptying of delusion

True, the issue is that delusion can be understood to mean very different things. For example from a general Zen perspective, noting the three characteristics could easily be understood as a conceptual activity rooted in delusion.

In my opinion we have to be careful in imagining a kind of perennialism between traditions and approaches that isn't actually there.

Yeah. I guess that accounts for all the forks

This is true, and the same for meditation too. Just doesn't work for some people unfortunately.

>Vigyan Bhairav Tantra

It is an interesting catalog of vague references to techniques known to the Kashmiri saivites.

>Every spiritual practice is derived from one of the 112 techniques

That's a stretch, there are spiritual techniques which directly contradict what is alluded to in the catalog and furthermore techniques which can't be meaningfully derived from any of items listed. For example, Tibetan Togal.

I've been meditating regularly for 12 years. It works. It's a red pill.

Meditation, sometimes called "the yoga of the mind" is learning to master the capriciousness of the mind rather than be helpless to it, to be able to choose rather than merely react. It is what allows us to balance, to bridge the worlds within us, rather than simply swing between polarities.

Meditating regularly is the equivalent for the energetic body of eating well, exercising regularly, and getting good rest for the physical. As such it's as important to each individual and to society as everyone being strong and healthy in our physical body. This has been known for thousands of years - see the Bhagavad Gita as an example of both how long it's been understood and how essential it is.

There will be no improvement in the ills of the world - regardless of whatever change we might like that to be - until we all become better at meditating.

p.s. "Meditation" is simply a set of actions that create and stabilize a particular state of consciousness. Understood this way, we all meditate all the time, every day - the meditation we do is the collection of actions we take that give us the experience we know as being ourselves. *We're doing our "me" meditation, 24x7*. What's important about this observation is instead of "learning to meditate," we can recognize *we are all already expert meditators*. All we need to do now is learn to be able to *choose* different meditations, rather than unknowingly repeat the same old one.

Namaste and 1488.

It's pushed by corporations to prevent stress. (They) know that they squeze every last ounce out of people then a portion of them will spaz out and then be off work and claim all sorts of company benefits.. this can run up to around $100k here in Australia. This is covered mostly by insurance but theres increasingly more cases. So a way to combat this stress is to me (((mindful))) they promote it and spend money on it because it's 10* cheaper to do so.
Sause: work in ban-king, ban-ker suicides and stuff is not a conspiracy(mostly) it's hard core stress in post GFC toxic environments and unstable types are pushed over the edge to gas themselves. I've seen it I've been near it and I have seen their solution.
Now go and fucking meditate you faggit.

You have to be careful. Like Yoga, meditation can be used as a gateway to allow demons into your body. I wish I were kidding, I know it sounds crazy.

I go to a few Catholic churches for meditation classes
>inb4 cuck Pope, etc..
and you say Maranatha while you count your breaths to keep the demons away.

This is an excellent documentary showing the effects meditation can have. In India the government sought to alleviate conditions in the prisons by teaching the prisoners to meditate. The results were transformational for the inmates.

By learning to meditate the inmates could finally control themselves, and no longer needed the bars of the prison to do for them outside what they needed inside. For many it was the key to freedom.

"Doing Time, Doing Vipassana"
youtube.com/watch?v=WkxSyv5R1sg

Again, "meditation" is simply "exercise" for the energetic body. As many forms of "exercise" as there are, with as many different results, there are of meditation. While people differ in what kinds of exercise are "best" for them, almost everyone agrees exercise is good and necessary.

B*ddhists in our country were always race traitors, cucking to Ch*na and K*rea. Shintoism is the one true religion for our country.