Why is Patlabor amazingly good? And why haven't I watch this series during my Ghost in the Shell phase in life?

Why is Patlabor amazingly good? And why haven't I watch this series during my Ghost in the Shell phase in life?

Why keep it a secret Sup Forums?
This is Oshii's best work. Fight me.

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/anime/324/Mobile_Police_Patlabor
patlabor.info/anime.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think you can like the movies much more if you watch them before watching the OVAs.

Idk. I watched the Early Days OVA first and then the 2 films. And the progression in storytelling, characters, and animation was legit inspiring to me. Each episode top each other off. And I would feel really different after the first movie if I did not watch the OVA since there is little character development in the movies. As they are more about world building and plot.

>This is Oshii's best work
yep
and Goto + Nagumo = Batou + Motoko

>This is Oshii's best work.
Angel's Egg.

Yeah. Those character's do mirror each other in similar ways. Though I prefer Patlabor totally because it feels more humanistic rather then Dry Sci-Fi. And with Ghost in the Shell I relate less with the world and its characters.

Angel's Egg has outstanding production, but the writing and characters leave a lot to be desired of. It feels more like a Andrei Tarkovsky knock-off.

I prefer the TV series, to be honest.

And Movie 3 sucks.

Oshii didn't direct 3. I'm only counting ova series and movies 1 and 2 as his canon.

patlabor 2 was fucking boring, I dropped it around 1 hour of watching

I gave up on Oshii after all his other supposed best works left me cold, but if you say so OP.

Oshii's directing style has always been in a slower pace then other anime directors of his heyday. Also I disagree it has good elements going for it. Although my favorite movies are always really slow burners.
If you aren't into him. Then this probably won't sway you either way. The only difference this series has to his other works is that it is more energetic and human about certain aspects. Like the characters are more likeable/human then the ones in GitS and the world is much more livelier rather then dry.

That's pretty reassuring actually, since that's usually what puts me off. He's got a striking style but content-wise his stories feel inorganic. I'll give Patlabor a try.

I've asked this a couple times but never really got a proper answer.
Could one watch the second movie without anything prior? I hear the second movie doesn't even have much of the main cast anyway.

I wouldn't.

>Could one watch the second movie without anything prior?
yes
my case exactly

Angel's Egg was his best. Both Patlabor 2 and Ghost in the Shell had all that hand-fisted thematic exposition. It's sad Oshii stopped trusting his audience.

The third movie isn't bad. It doesn't live up to Oshii's movies and everyone is disappointed it doesn't star the main cast of the franchise so it gets hated on. As a really nicely produced MOTW episode it's worth a watch.

more people need to see Talking Head.

>Patlabor
Okay, so I looked at the webm you posted, thought, it must be amazing, then I went on mal ( myanimelist.net/anime/324/Mobile_Police_Patlabor ), check the trailer and whaa... Is this the even them same ?

This. It's better than the TV series independent episode imo

I wish I hadn't actually done this.

I'm not really seeing that. Scenes like Noa saying she grew out of Labors don't have an impact if you know nothing about her beforehand.

Are you talking strictly about Patlabor 2? I agree that it's great, but I don't know about comparing Patlabor the series as a whole to Ghost in the shell.

This post is fictional.
But in 10 years, who knows?

It's the second movie.

I'm talking about Oshii's GitS films like Innocence and the original film in comparison to his Patlabor run.

Also even if we add in GitS: SAC I still prefer Patlabor's characters. Though SAC has amazing world building that not a lot of anime have.

>patlabor
>secret

lurk more retard

>secret
The secret was the spoiler. You dumb shit.

Haven't seen this yet. What order should I watch it to enjoy it? Not interested in knowing which one is "better".

>Not knowing Patlabor

I'm in a good mood today so I gonna help
Patlabor has three distinct canons, OVAs + Movies, Tv and Manga

OVA (know as Early Days) was the first interation of the franchise with 7 episodes, 6 directed by Oshii and produced by Headgear having Movie 1 and 2 as sequels and conclusion. Early Days tend to be more lighthearted, while the movies are more serious

Tv (know as Patlabor on Tv ) continuity weren't directed by Oshii and kept the more lighthearted aspect of the orignal OVAs, focusing on the daily life of the SV2. They also maid OVAs for the Tv anime entitled The New Files

Manga is written by Masami Yuki, member of Headgear

I would say start with Early Days OVA and then the films. If you are still interested after that point you should go on to the TV series or Manga.
Or this

Thanks, was very informative. I've always been curious about the series, but never actually explored it. I'll be checking it out this summer.

>being retarded

See

If anyone wants a more indepth info about Patlabor and its production, there is this fansite I found

patlabor.info/anime.htm

The TV series is one of the few SOLs about working adults. Basically the Shirobako of its time.

Why was Patlabor series so good? I think it was great characters.