Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1538

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C4PKCcGyyx0
youtube.com/user/Dh4m13l/videos
dailymotion.com/playlist/x1s0bw_Va-Pisoth_let-s-learn-japanese-vol-1/1#video=xm68p6
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334804
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339735
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160512-00000108-jij-pol
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Formally proposing that we rename DJT to
>Daisuki Japanese Thread
Thoughts?

Make 佐久良ちゃん proud...

I think Sakura represents cuckoldry.

Reminder that guide suggestions are actually being implemented now so you should go make some.

With my authority as consul I veto this motion.

You win again user. But one day you're gonna slip up.

What is the deeper meaning of this post?
I'm not giving my IP, nice try though.

You're just a regular cucksul, mate.

I wanted to learn japanese but its hard so i stopped??

There is not going to be an election so I don't see my veto power getting revoked anytime soon.

Yes.

Yes? I did a lot of anki and learned many cards (not words)

nice

I use it to learn cards I just import entire anime into it it's so すげええ

人生はフラッシュカードの箱のようなものだ

中にずーっと眺めても中身はわからない

結局なんでもいいけどボクは今日も釣りに行くぞい

youtube.com/watch?v=C4PKCcGyyx0

is there a full HQ rip of yan and the japanese people / "let's learn japanese" anywhere

this one faggot has upscaled 720p uploads on youtube but i'm trying to figure out if here's a native quality tv rip or if i have to look through all of youtube for the least horribly recompressed one

>it's a "loanword that even a 5-year-old english speaking child would know but in kana" card

From the earth is came; to the earth it returns.

I'm surprised there isn't a purged Core version with those removed. They should at least be tagged for ease of suspension/deletion.

君ら日本語習いはじめて何年くらいなの?

welp looks like I have to do this
just wen through 10 completely different uploads of the same scene, 9 from youtube and 1 from dailymotion

Without exception, only 2 were original encodes, or at least not blatant low bitrate recodes.

youtube.com/user/Dh4m13l/videos is the highest quality, but it's downright incomplete.

dailymotion.com/playlist/x1s0bw_Va-Pisoth_let-s-learn-japanese-vol-1/1#video=xm68p6 is where the remaining 8 uploads got their source material from. It's compressed differently than the above link, giving less blocking, but giving more ringing.

I'm going to be batch downloading the dailymotion playlist, then uploading it to mega.

Oh yeah, there's three playlists too.

9 months

あたしの430年まえのごせんぞさまは

にほんごをつかっていたよ

もっとまえのご先祖様はきろくがのこってないの。津波とか戦争でわからなくなったみたい

Are nips so shit at driving that this is a common occurence in their country?

「私の日本語」「私の英語」みたいな表現って間違っているのか?昔からほかの外人に「あんな表現を言ってはいけない、外人ぽくて気持ちわるい」と言われたんだけど、それは本当なのかわからない。

Why would you think that?

Is there a point in RTK if I'm not interested in production? Do I actually have to write shit on paper?

It's just a plain four-character compound - not streamlined enough to really imply a common occurrence. Now, if it were some compacted two-character compound with Chinese-style ordering, something like 衝車, that's the point where I'd think twice about setting foot in Japan. If it were a word made up of a single kokuji, I'd log into my investment account and make sure I'm not holding stock in any Japanese companies.

It helps you remember. Like having visited a place in person helps you make sense of it on a map.

99% of the people who use RTK seem to hate it and give up on it. Use your own judgement. It's not like you can't come back to it if you feel like you need it later.

Scratch that, I found the original encode.
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334804
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339735
This is going to be way faster. Mirroring.

Where do you get that number from, professor? What is your Japanese level?

I'm the Emperor.

>I gave up so almost everyone gives up on it
Any more statistics straight out of your ass?

>平成年28
>まだ人々はRTKを使わない。

I'm not one of the ones who gave up on it. I feel like RTK actually benefited me, but people on DJT are so up their own ass about how RTK doesn't help them at all (when they're not posting about how 俺 and 日 are literally impossible to distinguish) that I try to be pragmatic about it. The reality is that most people who try RTK seem to hate it and give up to try other, more immediate methods.

RTK is shit. I cannot fathom why people still don't use the far superior KanjiDamage.

>memedamage
oh boy, here we go

Because it's 3edgy5me.

Are these actually any good? Do they cover much material?

user that series is from the '80s. Full HD didn't exist back then.

I said HQ, not HD.

they get about halfway through tae kim

I did them all, it's strictly for basic Japanese. Covers maybe as much as Genki.
That said, it's pretty fun, gives you practice in everything and it's almost like having a proper teacher explaining things to you without having to go through the classroom cancer. The story itself is endearing.

I'd recommend the series for any beginner so they get a basic foundation in conjugations and grammar.

I don't remember any of the material but I do remember the great character drama and romance.

Not only that, it can legitimately be a substitute for the passive listening comprehension that otaku get from anime and VNs.

For newcomers, if in doubt, use the guide's advice as a fallback if you're genuinely not sure if it's "shitpost advice" or not.

For future reference (on how to tell if something is a shitpost):
>calls the community made guide/whatever method a piece of shit with no reasoning given why
>insults someone giving helpful advice with no reasoning given why
>attempts to create arguments over virtually nothing (eg opinions without facts -> x is better than y!!!)
>uses obtuse Japanese fragments interspersed with English to attempt bypass people trying to filter the shitposts
>any mention of anime being shit, or "real Japanese"
>spells it as romanji
It's pretty easy to tell at this point.

NEETbros what's your daily schedule like?

>起きました、朝ご飯を食べました
>日本語を勉強ます
>ネットとゲームとアニメます
>らくがきます

And whatever else in whatever order

>that grammar

How do people get rid of piss bottles? Do they flush them down the toilet or throw them in the trash can full?

Just let your mom take care of them, I don't really care how.

ごめんなさい

You dump the piss into the toilet then reseal the bottle and throw it in the trash. It's not hard.

Why would you throw it out when bottles are reusable?

Piss deteriorates most bottles, plus they start to smell and discolor after a few fill cycle.

Drink them. They're good when fermented, and the bacteria that grows inside gives you valuable nutrients.

Why is it a bad idea to use romaji?
Do I really have to learn BOTH hiragana and katakana? I heard katakana wasn't used much.

For starters:
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing

>there are multiple versions of systems trying to romanize Japanese, none are exactly the same

The word Rōmaji itself should be a big hint. That - above the o indicates a long vowel sound, but if you don't know the kana in words like that, it can be confusing how to ACTUALLY spell it. For words like 大きい - is it Oki? Ookii? Ôkî? Ōkī? Another problem with this ambiguity is that ji / di / chi / zu / dzu / du will confuse you, because they're not consistent at all. And yes, some words REQUIRE you to make the distinction.

Then we get into the homophones, without kanji you would have a hard time keeping all the kaerus apart. Hashi can be both bridge and chopsticks. Hell, even if you learned just the kana, reading kana alone is typically really difficult without kanji to help aid in context.

Authors will also change the "usual" way of writing something down at random - they use katakana on certain words for emphasis (similar to how English uses italics), or to help break up a long block of hiragana, making it easier to learn. What if an ESL told you they could only read lower case letters because they never bothered to learn the capitals? It doesn't make sense.

Don't use romaji as a crutch, it very well could create problems in the long run. There is a world of resources out there and you're limiting yourself from using some of the better ones if you don't learn to read properly in the first place; you're not -really- getting ahead like you think you are.

>I heard katakana wasn't used much.
It's not used much...relative to hiragana and kanji. It still shows up in nearly every sentence, retard.

Sure, after a while. But no reason not to keep them for a few months before they start to smell too bad.

try reading the post

>2016
>being unable to read
shiggy diggy

Not everyone reads scifi and fantasy shit all the time, kiddo, that are full of basically English words in katakana.
In a real novel for adults, you can often go hundreds of pages before you see a foreign word written in kanas.

Read any news site, internet forum or basic conversational exchange between Japanese people and see how far you get without katakana.

Not learning 50 simple characters when you have to memorize 2000 kanji, often with different pronunciations, to reach a respectable level is retarded.

>勉強ます

>I only use Ore and Suru, because i'm too badass to show some politeness

正解ますでしょうます?
ます。

I genuinely hope you're baiting.

>Which order should I learn the Kanji in?
>I heard Japanese kids only do x amount per YEAR, so how can we learn so much all at once?

Japanese kids learn the 'most useful' kanji first, not the simplest one. For instance, compare these five kanji 叱 泊 雨 雲 曜. It seems rather obvious that the first two are simple. Indeed they don't have many strokes, and they're easy to remember. On the other hand, the last three, especially the third seems harder to remember and draw.

Now compare the approximate meaning of each : to scold, to stay overnight, rain, cloud, day of the week. While being easier to retain, the first two kanji relate to more complex ideas than the last three. Just look at the kanji for day of the week (○曜日), it really doesn't seem easy to write/remember. The complexity of a kanji doesn't necessarily relate to the idea behind it.

Yet, if you follow the way Japanese kids learn kanji, you'll learn 曜 way before 叱. But for kids, it's rather logical since they know what both words are, they only need kanji to write/read them. As an adult learning Japanese, you DON'T already know the words. However, being older, you posess abstract thinking abilities and therefore can use methods other than brute force repetition. This leads to far greater efficiency and far less frustration.

In conclusion, learning each kanji individually the way Japanese kids do it isn't a great idea overall. If you want to study kanji, either do it through Core / some form of vocabulary study, or go for a logical step progression method, like RTK, Kanji Damage or Kodansha's Learner Course.

>Learning Japanese
You should all be agaru.

headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160512-00000108-jij-pol

Is Japan going downhill?

>Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1538

I'd like to remind everyone here on Sup Forums who hates generals that DJT's # is not inaccurate. DJT was literally one of the first generals to appear on Sup Forums, even before generals were a thing. The desire to discuss a given subject over a long period of time in a central location -- this desire is what has made Sup Forums's love of generals today.

Is it good, or is it bad?

I'll let you be the judge of that.

And by the way, I was here on Sup Forums both before the DJTs started and during thread #1. Everyone hated the DJTs at first, and they were saged, spammed, reviled, and even moderated. Eventually, after an overwhelming consensus by a small few who would not stop posting it, everyone gave up.

And here we stand today, not only are the DJTs allowed, they are encouraged, and the exact opposite has come to fruition: Even though DJTs have nothing to do with Sup Forums, you stand the risk of being banned if you stand out against them.

autism
>5
checked though

>and even moderated
They should be again. These threads are full of nothing but shitposting these days.

your opinion would be invalid if it were not for that 5, however with that 5 you make a good point :^)

How is encouraging weebs to learn Japanese in an anime board a bad thing? DJT is probably the least cancerous general.

お前ら肌の色何色?

That's not even Sak. It's Mirror.

Learning is a life long process. Just keep watching anime and looking up phrases and using what you have learned so far. がんばって

I'd consider them a problem if they were like other generals on Sup Forums.

But outside of ironic "ankifu" posting, there's none of the waifu wars, autism, or fetishism that other generals experience as their fandoms begin to stagnate with ded series. There's still shitposting of course, but I don't think it's possible to escape from that no matter where you go on Sup Forums.

To be completely blunt, I honestly think that /djt/ covers one of the few subjects on this board that's relatively immune to that.

why does this language look like programming
everyone declares variables and if/else statements
no wonder they enjoy android characters

something about this english translation is fishy to me..
>not working today is good?
>no, not working [today] is not allowed

the meaning doesn't change much i guess but i think theres a set phrase im missing somewhere
plus im 80% sure this entire constructed is heavily slanged into なっちゃ or なくちゃ anyway

Please don't trigger my 上がり症

>五
いいね

Can you skip work today?
No, I can't not work today.

ah cheers, thats a lot better

Yes user, a statement that someone caused an accident means that accidents are such a common occurrence. Someone also dropped a nuke from a plane, but that isn't really a common occurrence now, is it?

I don't know if these threads are getting more retarded or that people in general are getting more retarded.

>you will never be a Japanese JK

>mature card retention rate lower than 80%
どうしよう

Is handwriting in Japanese slower/faster than using the Latin alphabet or roughly the same speed?

>post fucking terrible English
>no one gives a shit
>post not perfectly text book correct Japanese
>the spergs start twitching manically

Core lists common words first, traffic accident is one of the early words.

Are you baiting or just new?

That post was close to gibberish.

It lists common newspaper words. Guess what gets reported in newspapers?

i agree 100%.

When did the autist win an finally got the OP changed? Have not been here in months.

>勉強ます
>not perfectly text book correct Japanese

>">that grammar"
>spergs start twitching manically

Sure mate

>Another word for wife, 「家内」 is often considered politically incorrect because the kanji used are "house" and "inside" which implies that wives belong in the home. Amen. (Just kidding)

Is he right? Why is it in core then?