What was the fucking point of Serial Experiments Lain...

What was the fucking point of Serial Experiments Lain? This and Evangelion are two of the most pretentious shows I've ever had the displeasure of viewing.

Let's all love lain

Pretentious doesn't automatically mean bad you dense nigger

I didn't say it was bad. I didn't enjoy them though because they both try to be something they're not and the autistic fanbase (for evangelion at least) trys to hype it like it's the second coming of jesus.

>trys to hype it like it's the second coming of jesus.

Sup Forumsentoo men and cyberpunk fags are to be blamed for that.

And you don't seem to understand

the true second coming of jesus was boogiepop phantom

casuals must leave

They weren't even pretentious what the fuck.
Everything is literally spelled out for you.

Want to see pretentious? Try Zetsuen no Tempest

>trys to hype it like it's the second coming of jesus.
I wouldn't say that, but it does have some interesting things that came true. What those things are takes another watch to figure out though.

>autistic fanbase (for evangelion at least) trys to hype it like it's the second coming of jesus

well that's your fault for spending so much time on reddit. Also if anyone thinks evangelion is pretentious, they didn't understand it at all.

A shame ,you seemed an honest man

Eva was not pretentious. They tell you what the fucking point is. I find amazing that people didn't get it. And most like Eva not for what it preaches, but because its chimera is much more interesting.

Lain is very interpretative given the show's nature (it tries to get the point across using as little dialog as possible, relying instead on visual metaphors, symbols, and motifs). You get that Lain was an ayy lmao, an A.I., god, etc. Just pick the one you like.

>they both try to be something they're not
Lain is literally about the potential and implications of the internet which was still a fairly new thing even in 1998
The other part about her being an internet God is subplot.

Now watch Mind Game so you can have 3 of the most pretentious anime you have ever had the displeasure of watching.

2deep4u, bitch.

Nah. U just got shit taste, senpai.

The theme of Lain was communication. She got a computer because she wanted to communicate with the girl who killed herself. She enjoyed communicating through the wired because she felt like she can act like herself and connect with others easily.

The antagonist wanted this so the wired and the real world become one, but ultimately it was Lain's real life friend that she connected with that led Lain to reject the Wired.

When she became God and everyone doesnt remember who she is, she isn't lonely, because she can go and communicate with Arisu any time. Even if Arisu doesn't remember her either.

tl;dr the message in Lain was to go outside

Eva is one of the greatest things to happen to anime. The fact that you're unable to see that shows just how little you know of the medium and industry prior and post NGE.

You're right, but few will agree with you out of fear of looking stupid.

How the fuck do you know what Lain was trying/pretending to be when you're clearly admitting to not understanding it?

>she isn't lonely, because she can go and communicate with Arisu any time. Even if Arisu doesn't remember her either.
That's a pretty big "even if".

Lain was cute but her show was shitty

i appreciate this

I thought it was great, I didn't understand any of it, I found it deep and confusing

Thank you, kind user. One day when I have the time I want to do the full OP à la Bayeux Tapestry.

I don't think the cast of Lain themselves had a single coherent message. I remember the scriptwriter I think saying he initially hadn't considered the Wired as an internet drop-in, but rather a sort of purgatory. When you consider the game's plot she commits suicide to "ascend" to the Wired it makes sense, and completely turns the show on it's head.

If multiple interpretations like that make you mad, then it's just not your show I guess...

>I remember the scriptwriter I think saying he initially hadn't considered the Wired as an internet drop-in, but rather a sort of purgatory.
Damn these fucking Papists, they can't even remember what the nuns indoctrinated them with properly.

>Eva was not pretentious.

Yea, it was. The christian symbolism really had no purpose to the plot other than to be shoehorned in; you could strip all of that out and pretty much get the same thing. It was still cool and I like eva, but it is the definition of pretentious...

That alone doesn't make Eva pretentious to me. I think since it handled its themes of identity, individuality, adulthood, etc well and without feeling like I was being talked down to I would say it wasn't pretentious. If all it had going for it was "oooooh, cool looking christian symbolism" and was shallow whilst pretending to touch on deeper themes I'd agree, but that's just me.

>Find out it was written by the same guy as The Big O

What a surprise. This guy really needs to stop trying to shove pretentious shit into his material. The Big O was great before it started the whole 'I'M A TOMATO???????' and Truman Show shit.

I thought Lain was the second coming of Jesus

>...

I don't think there was supposed to be any meaning to the christian "symbolism." Crosses just look cool.

It's not symbolism if it doesn't mean anything

Exactly. It's just imagery.
Funnily enough this just means that the retards that call it pretentious have it the other way around.
The anime isn't pretentious, they are just assuming faggots.

>Look at me
>I understood the shitty 2deep4u ending of Evangelion
>Am I cool now?
I could remake Evangelion in 12 episodes, taking out the shitty jokes, SoL, dialogues that leads to nothing, those 2 last episodes that only made sense after the movie, half of the Angels that only were there to fill up the 24 episodes.
And trust me, EVERYONE here, that doesn't jizz all over Evangelion, could make it better

>TFW Evangelion is just some monster of the week shit but the fanbase pretends its more than that

That could only be classified as being "pretentious" if Anno tried to claim that the Christain symbolism meant anything.

Which he didn't.