Meet character in episode 1

>meet character in episode 1
>character dies later in that same episode
>people praise that episode for being poignant and emotional
Retards.

why are you so close minded user?

>close minded
You clearly don't know what that means, but thank you for confirming your stupidity.

It can still be poignant and emotional. People die half way through movies all the time. Have you never gotten emotional over a movie?

You aren't usually too emotionally attached to characters you only met 20 minutes ago.

This is the first episode of a 50 episode series, retard. The pacing is completely different to a movie.

This would be the equivalent of having someone die in the first 5 minutes of a movie and expecting the audience to get emotional about it. You're supposed to build the characters up first.

Americans are fucking morons, nothing new there.

>people praise that episode for being poignant and emotional
Those people aren't from Sup Forums on most of the cases, your thread is basically retard people are retards, more news at 11.

Not him but it's possible. It happened in the opening 10 minutes of that Pixar movie Up. Though to be fair Pixar have competent writers unlike most anime studios. I'm sure someone could make it poignant with minimal build up but it's pretty tough in an episodic format.

The only thing I really don't like about this series is how a ton of characters motivation completely revolve about some vague dream a dead 9 year old had. Also the constantly talking about this dead 9 year old over and over.

Cried more in the first 5 minutes of Up than I did nearly everything else I ever watched.

Ah I was beaten.

read the manga

>This would be the equivalent of having someone die in the first 5 minutes of a movie and expecting the audience to get emotional about it.

You never watched Up didn't you?

>Pixar have competent writers

Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur seems to challenge this claim.

>Not able to get emotional over a character you've only known for a single episode.
You have no heart.

Death flag was clear, theres is no point for having expectations. You can always drop this show now if your pride as a critic Wont let you enjoy this show

>I only have emotional attachment for fictional characters if they are alive for more than one episode

the retard is you.

Up and toy was the best they could have pull, zootopia had a very well developed world building, but the storyline overall was as average as it could get.

Look, I won't argue about you on writing. I think you're a retard, but whatever, I'm pretty sure other people have that handled.

But people were never praising the episode because they killed off a character, they're praising it because the depiction of the cast impacted by it is relateable even if the characters were two unvoiced stick figures. Death isn't just a tool to get emotional shock value out of a viewer.

>OP makes a threat just to argue with people
>people fall for the bait

Episodic shows have characters appear and die after just one episode all the time. That's the fucking formula for almost Police/Detective procedurals.

And comparing a 2 hour movie to an 18 hour TV series is just fucking stupid. They don't have the same expectations for flow because they're completely different formats.

user has never had anyone one close to him die and therefore does not understand how that can change a person.

It wasn't well executed, retard. Explain how that girls death merited an emotional reaction based on what had been shown.

You're really really stupid, I suggest you work on your comprehension.

Nobody's criticizing the idea of killing a character off. The problem is the show expects to draw an emotional reaction with so little reason.

> the show expects
the show did not expect you anything. It just give you the scene
you are the one who expect it with your standard. It doesn't expect the emotion reaction it want from you. You perceive the scene.

I could argue that the casual anime watcher during that season would expect a lowkey SOL baseball anime.

user has never had anyone one close to him die and therefore does not understand how that can change a person.

>stories need to be long to be emotional
user, please. You sound like those people who bitch about Bokurano because "You only get to know the characters in-depth just before they die, that's now it's supposed to work!"

>explain to me logically why this deserves the emotional reaction you had or else that reaction is wrong and retarded
I think you might be autistic.

>the show did not expect you anything
>It doesn't expect the emotion reaction it want from you
Yes it did. The way that whole episode is set up and directed, it's clear the director is trying to elicit an emotional reaction from the audience.

You really are an idiot then. Ok.

This post is what happens when kids are taught the "rules" of good stories and think those are actually hard-and-fast rules and that violating them makes your story automatically bad.

I seriously hope you are just pretending to be a retard for the sake of baiting.

>i'm not smart enough to engage in this argument, so i'll just try to suggest op is retarded! that'll show him!
Confirmed idiot

I can see you're the type of moron who hates critical thinking, and accuses anyone who does so of being an edgy kid.

It's hardly even a deep analysis, it's a shitty first episode that expects you to care when a Mary Sue dies.

>The problem is the show expects to draw an emotional reaction with so little reason.
But it does, and emotional reactions are just that- emotional. They don't need 'reason'. In any case, if the audience feels sad it's not necessarily reliant on their attachment to Wakaba. We don't even see her die, we just hear about it. The sad part is seeing how others react and future emotional impact is derived from how her death influences them throughout the story, hence the focus being 100% on them instead of her. It's beautifully executed too, Adachi is a very good panelist and his way of showing rather than telling was very effective.

Didn't cry but I was close, felt like a huge faggot. Fucking cancer girl's mom and Doremi playing in the snow, man

>calling somebody a retard without giving any argument to explain your point of view is idiotic
But that's exactly what OP did.

>mary sue
>dying
mary sue /= character you don't like. A Mary Sue character is a flawless character to whom all the good things she/he could wish for happens. Pretty sure that "being dead" is not a trait befitting of a mary sue character.

Plastic Memories anyone?

I will bump this thread so anyone can shitpost more. And I also like Up by Pixar.

It's about how well it's executed.
You make it sound stupid but it can work.

It took that hack Adachi a volume too kill her off. Talk about inefficient.

>op is a retard or a shitposter

>b-but Eren's mum
>muh feelings

Old writer's advice goes "if something more interesting happens to the protagonist at some other point in their life, why aren't you telling that story?"

and, just for calling Adachi a hack:
>> Call OP a faggot
Call OP a faggot
Call OP a faggot