Common poster, how much do you care about discovering new anime

Common poster, how much do you care about discovering new anime

Not a rec thread

Other urls found in this thread:

desustorage.org/a/search/text/mononoke/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm certain not many people have done chart dives. Pick at least 4 anime per season since 1995 and watch all of them.

Most recent anime blends with each other, same harem hijinks, etc. It's become more of finding a fav character and somehow bearing through it all.

I guess it's not something I really try to do. Seasonal shit aside, there's so much out there and I don't consume at such a greedy pace that it's not at all hard to just think of some show I can watch.

Whenever I have free time (like right now) and I see a still image that looks alright (like yours).
So thanks

So excuse me while I go watch Glass no Kamen Desu ga Z

I've just been thinking recently, there's a handful of good stuff that is absent from most charts. Not exactly all diamonds in the rough but quality stuff.

There's also good stuff that is only on genre charts when it has wider appeal than say just being a magical girl show

If I see something go by that looks interesting I'll look it up, download a few episodes, whenever I get the itch.
You know, get recommendations by lurking, the way it's supposed to be done.
You can even tell by the tone of discussion whether it's going to be 2DEEP4U, fun trash, so bad it's good, or even a hidden gem.

This is going to be something hard to accept for anyone, not just you

But there are numerous good shows which are neither discussed or mentioned. Not even derided, just largely unknown

there is more than i could ever watch in a lifetime and i watch 40+ seasonal shows every season

i don't understand when people say they have nothing to watch.

i tried to do this too, but i ended up mostly surprised at the amount of shows i've seen. a lot of shows are also untranslated, sadly.

I am not the common poster, I am the extreme poster and I care very fondly of new anime that I haven't heard of. *tips sage*

It's hard to want to specifically search for unknown shows, though. If I have other shows I know I want to watch, why not watch them?

Yeah it's a pain when you try and go deeper with info searching, of the active subbing groups of the time and what they worked on.

It's one thing to find a decent anime, sometimes the group is hit and miss. I'm not even talking about when gg was alive, I meant the AVI era.

i can deal with bad subs/horrible quality/240p/whatever for the most part, but the most devastating thing is when the first season is translated and the second isn't. i'm still waiting for ace wo nerae s2.

If a bunch of decent literally what shows were in front of you, would you consider them

ANN is a very useful resource if you're in the mood to play around and just click around

This is going to be something hard to accept for anyone, not just you, but you're probably just not every good at lurking and finding good threads.

Hardly surprising since I rarely see you around good threads anyway.

>But there are numerous good shows which are neither discussed or mentioned. Not even derided, just largely unknown

It makes sense. Popular, well-known shows and seasonal crap will always garner more attention and discussion than older anime. The common consumer of anime most likely isn't willing to put in the effort to watch lesser-known series; why waste time trying to discover obscure 80s/90s OVAs when SAO, Attack on Titan, Kiznaiver and Kabaneri are two clicks away?

I had hoped to use Sup Forums as a filter for all the garbage but it seems the true gold is ones you find on your own time.

I think it's fairly important. Recently, I've been browsing random OP's in search of stuff I don't recognize and trying pick shows that I like. Finished up Kuragehime and going through Xam'd now trying this method out.

Sup Forums let me discover Keit-ai.

I've thought about doing this, but I never really get around to it.

The garner more discussion and attention because they're airing and they can be discussed in detail. At any given time, you're not going to find ten people who watched Salaryman Kintaro or some random old show and want to discuss it in detail. I probably just have an awful memory, but if I saw a show three years ago, I might want to comment on it but not have anything meaningful to say.

>Xam'd

That one shits the bed in the second half, sorry to tell you.

This is what databases are good for. ou know what you like, they probably have tags for it, and they list the staff members and all the other stuff they're credited for, so you can check if it looks promising or not.

Don't feed the tripshits. Learn to ignore them.

Fairly important, considering I've seen most of the stuff that's out there.

How many fucking anime have you seen?

>talk to a guy on /r9k/ who told me he's seen 90% of shows from 2005+
>find his MAL
>220 shows, all entry level

I have no intentions of judging anyone for what they've seen or haven't seen but why would anyone lie about how many Chinese cartoons they've seen?

>going to /r9k/

>implying I had anything better to do with my time

>Not a rec thread

Watch anime.

>There's also good stuff that is only on genre charts when it has wider appeal than say just being a magical girl show

This. Older, seasonal magical girl shows in particular are an absolute goldmine of great content that few people bother to check out.

I used to do this but as the years went by I found that I put less and less on my list that wasn't currently airing. People seem to post the same pictures from the same shows now. Maybe they did back then and I just can't remember.

Johnnyenglish did the first 2 episodes, although it doesn't help totally.

Yes, there are much better resources for actually discovering obscure shit. As bad as "I don't know what to watch, tell me about Boku no Piko!" threads are, just having the ability to discuss how to actually uncover the hidden good shit that is there is nice.

I'm thinking about watching the show, and I actually know Jap. How should I go about it?

I don't care, I will find things naturally while browsing the internet.
There's no shortage of entertainment and there's thousands of shows and movies I haven't watched and probably never will.

There's no secret. If it's in the database of your choosing then you can find it. What you're talking about is the ability to judge if a show is good based on a picture/description alone.

Not a glass mask thread? I'm disappointed.

I've checked out anything with subtitles that is considered remotely good by any metric and have either watched or dropped it, so I've basically given up on discovering new anime. It would be nice if more suddenly appeared, though.

>anything with subtitles
There's your problem.

I've always been curious. How known is mononoke? I never see it being talked about even though I enjoyed it. Same with samurai horror stories.

desustorage.org/a/search/text/mononoke/

I don't think it's unknown at all. I didn't really like it that much.

Ace wo Nerae is the first in the series, which had a movie remake with a couple different additions (but I haven't seen it), that looks a bit better. Both subbed.

It also got a remake of the first TV version in 79 called Shin Ace wo Nerae! but probably with extra changes and newer art since it came out in 78 right before the movie. This one isn't subbed.

Then second season is Ace wo Nerae! 2 which takes place after the whole of the first series. (13 episode OVA series.)

Last season is Ace wo Nerae!: Final Stage, of 12 OVAs.

All 3 TV seasons and the movie have active torrents, or should still at least.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Depends on the anime. I find that OVAs and movies are usually a notch or two above current anime both in production value and literary content.

No shit, Sherlock

The number of actually high tier OVAs is surprisingly small though compared to movies and TV series. You think they'd have the lion's share of solid anime, but they don't.

>If a bunch of decent literally what shows were in front of you, would you consider them
Well of course, provided they were appealing. My point being that its unknown factor plays little to nothing into whether I want to watch something.

Interesting thread.
I've still got too many well known masterpieces to watch, but I do try to find some more obscure stuff too.

Probably around 400+ or so. I've been watching anime since 1995

phg go back to making regular Doug threads you'll have more success that way

A lot, but I've been watching for a long time.

Easiest way to find things is looking through the resume of staff who's work you enjoy. Summaries, especially for obscure and untranslated works, are a bad metric. Also, you have to accept the fact you're going to be watching raws at some point.

There's mountains of good OVAs. You just need to go into them with a different sort of expectation than your typical seasonal show.

It always feels to me like the majoroty of people on Sup Forums only watch stuff from the current season plus a handful of post-1995 classics from their 500+ entry "backlog".
I wonder how accurate that is.

success in what

WHAT
A
SCARY
GIRL

anime shitposting

scanlations fuckin when