ITT: anime for dumb people who think they're smart

ITT: anime for dumb people who think they're smart

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Honestly, most "serious" anime that try to touch up on scientific or philosophical topics. Be it a result poor translations or poor writing, usually there's a core concept that misses the mark that proves to be a critical flaw.

Madoka is a pretty good example. It has some good concepts but it's superficial at best, and it tried tying entropy into the whole picture but the creators fundamentally didn't understand what entropy causes, so it honestly trivializes the incubators role in a nihilistic sense, and it was made worse by the fact that apparently Earth was the only place they could find what they need. Combined with the objective silliness of the Urobutcher's grimdark touch, it missed the mark on a lot of its themes, and I think it only actually succeeded at being entertaining and deconstructing standard magical girl anime tropes. To claim it was a masterpiece is ridiculous.

Overall anime is at its best when it doesn't try to take itself too seriously, and puts more emphasis on entertainment.

One thing Code Geass did right, for example, was it focused more entertainment, and while it did bring up moral and philosophical questions, it avoided the trap of being preachy (for the most part), and left the viewer to decide on the answers. But ultimately the entertainment came first.

Nice, another shitpost thread.

> creators fundamentally didn't understand what entropy causes
I don't think anyone does, not even physicists can make up their mind about it

I mean the problem that entropy causes. Madoka seemed to assume that it was causing energy to disappear, this isn't the case. Energy doesn't just disappear. The problem comes from the continued expansion of the universe, which would decrease the amount of energy per capita, if that makes sense. I'm simplifying this, but so long as there's energy the universe expands, so it's a bit of a cyclical with no real solution. You would think an advanced alien race would seek a solution that is more than the equivalent of smacking duct tape on it. And I personally would have accepted it, but they wrote themselves into a hole saying they searched the universe looking for sources of the power they were looking for and only found Earth had it. What happens when they sun of our galaxy goes super giant on us, well before this entropy problem rears itself, and Earth is gone. You would think an advanced alien race would know that. It's why I said the incubators solution is trivialized in a nihilistic sense, it's a pointless nonsolution.

You put way too much stock in visual mediums in general. Any series or film only has so much time to cover a topic which establishes the narrative the work. There is never going to be an extremely deep exploration of a scientific or philosophical topic in a visual creative work. The place for that is the written world.

>Madoka seemed to assume that it was causing energy to disappear, this isn't the case. Energy doesn't just disappear. The problem comes from the continued expansion of the universe, which would decrease the amount of energy per capita, if that makes sense.
No, that isn't the problem with entropy.
That's the problem with the expansion of the universe.

These two are distinct from each other.

Don't try to correct others when you don't know shit yourself.

All anime is technically for dumb people

I think your trying too hard with that one OP.

>I don't think anyone does, not even physicists can make up their mind about it
But entropy is just a measure of disorder, it has been strictly defined and applied in thermal physics for decades now.

Technically all people are dumb.

youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

2 deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep 4 u

yeah your right OP fuck all these 2 deep 4 u shows we need more harems!! Xd

I'm aware they are distinct from each other, however they are related topics. Entropy is always increasing just as the universe is constantly expanding. There is nothing inherently wrong with there being more entropy, it's just a measure of disorder within a control volume, generally derived from other quantifiable measures such as free energy and enthalpy.

More entropy is considered bad because it will bring about the universes end, according to Madoka. It's fair to assume this may be referrimg to the concept of the Big Boom, since again, entropy is just a measure constantly increasing as the universe expands. When we lack the energy in the universe to continue expansion, that's when shit is going to hit the fan. But within what was presented to be a solution in Madoka, it isn't an actual solution.

I'm aware I probably am, though I tend to get particularly critical with things such as Madoka, because if there are a lot of people claiming it is a masterpiece (a very bold statement), you would expect it to hold up to criticism. I'll be fair, most people probably wouldn't catch that particular flaw, you'd have to have had decent background in thermodynamics to catch it, and I'll admit it's been years since I thoroughly studied thermodynamics, or had to use it extensively, so if someone that directly works with it could correct me I'd accept it, but I've had to study thermo a lot, and Kyubey talking about it seemed fundamentally flawed from my understanding.

And that's why I said many anime trying to incorporate real world scientific principles can often times fall flat on its face, because the creators DON'T have the time to fully understand it and properly implement it. Quite frankly, I find anime works better when they construct an entirely new world for the purposes of their story.

>implying Texhnolyze wasn't an harem
Every single girl wanted Ichise's dick.

>More entropy is considered bad because it will bring about the universes end, according to Madoka. It's fair to assume this may be referrimg to the concept of the Big Boom,
Or it might be referring to the problem inherent to entropy itself.
Even without the expansion of the universe, sooner or later we would run out of usable energy, thanks to entropy.
That is fact.

omedetou

I really liked Texhnolyze, I thought it was deep and confusing

Entropy is not really a difficult concept, at all.
Related to energy, all it means is that since it's impossible to have a machine with an unitary efficiency, in every energy transformation we're losing some residual energy in the means of heat.
Now, the heat dissipates and increases the entropy in the universe (because heat is a measure of the movement of the particles, and increasing the movement increases the uncertainty of their position, making the Universe as a whole a bit less organized), but what's relevant to us is that once that heat is dissipated into the Universe, there's not a single process to take it back and turn it into usable energy.
Basically, it's like we have a net amount of energy usable to us with our current technology, that's it.

The universe expanding freezing everything to death is not inherently related to entropy, it's just a theory that says that if you stretch space-time, movement will become harder and harder.
Nothing ends with a boom or with an explosion, we just run out of every single kind of fuel that exists.

>I mean the problem that entropy causes. Madoka seemed to assume that it was causing energy to disappear, this isn't the case. Energy doesn't just disappear. The problem comes from the continued expansion of the universe, which would decrease the amount of energy per capita, if that makes sense.

You are being full retard. Or american education is just this bad?

Madoka was about the heat death of the universe.

>The universe expanding freezing everything to death is not inherently related to entropy, it's just a theory that says that if you stretch space-time, movement will become harder and harder.
Actually disregard that, the heat death scenario is another thing.
Sorry.

ITT dumb people who think they're smart by "getting that anime is dumb"

Alright, thanks, that actually cleared up a lot of what I was forgetting. So I guess the criticism I'm left with is why they wrote themselves into a corner by saying Earth was the only place they could find the energy they were using. The sun would still become a super giant and leave them with nothing. I guess at this point I'm being nitpicky though. Also didn't mean an actual boom, I was just trying to refer to the universe's end point.

No, just forgot some points. Unfortunately one was critical. And no, I'm from Denmark

The concept of being "smart" for watching a japanese cartoon is stupid.

You can talk about Lain or Evangelion or whatever all you want, they're all stupid in their own way. When it comes to anime, writing is piss poor 99% of the time. You're not a special snowflake for pretending to like boring anime with pretentious visuals. At least be a film or novel hipster rather than an anime hipster, it's less laughable at least.

/thread

If you can't explain something simply, you're just as stupid as the people that have no idea what you're talking about.

>Honestly, most "serious" anime that try to touch up on scientific or philosophical topics. Be it a result poor translations or poor writing, usually there's a core concept that misses the mark that proves to be a critical flaw.

There's an entire genre of anime that revolves around mangling the fuck out of scientific and philosophical concepts. The best part is that it attracts the kind of fans who'll gleefully fill in the gaping holes filled by the author.