Sup Sup Forums...

Sup Sup Forums. I had a hankering to watch FMA yesterday because I saw a chunk of it when I was younger and really liked what I saw.

I heard Brotherhood was better so I started watching Brotherhood, but what I got in less than 20 minutes was tedious, schlocky shounen bullshit that I despise. Should I go back to the original or am I just remembering it a lot darker and better-paced? Is Brotherhood episode 1 just bad because it's an introductory episode? Or am I too old for this show now or something...?

You're too old. FMA is badly written trash, written by a woman.

Whatever happened to the three-episode rule?

watch it and find out you idiot

If you're really interested in both then watch the original first and then Brotherhood. If you're like a lot of the guys around here you'll get immensely butthurt because the original isn't canon halfway through, though still great.

And yes, Brotherhood's first episode isn't great. In fact a lot of brotherhood's first few episodes aren't good because they skip so much material because they assume you saw the original. So do yourself a favor and watch the original, the entire thing.

The first episode of Brotherhood is anime original and not in the manga. It gets better, but the animation is a bit wonky in the beginning.

Brotherhood's first episode is anime-original filler. The first dozen or so episodes of Brotherhood are a rushed adaptation of the early part of the manga that was already covered in the 2003 FMA anime. It's not til they meet Greed and Ling Yao shows up that things slow down.

If you want an anime that's "dark" or whatever you should just watch shit like Elfen Lied.

Shounen stuff gives me hemorrhoids and I barely have time to watch 3 episodes let alone 1 nowadays.

I've only read a bit of the manga so I don't really care if it's canon or not. Just whether the pacing and tone is better. I'll just skim/watch Brotherhood/read the rest of the manga if I want to know the original.

Looking for something more melancholy, really. I remember the original being kinda brooding and was kinda taken aback when I started Brotherhood.

Thanks for the advice, nerds

Watch the 2003 original, it's a lot better.
Then Brotherhood or the manga.

The original is flat out better.

When reporting, remember to hide the thread.

Sage.

made by people to dumb to know what they like

I watched the original FMA until chaper 15 I think, after the little girl who got fused to a dog got blown up

that did it for me, it was the cheapest edge moment I´ve ever seen, holy shit, it was worse than the entirity of bokurano

you fuckers will have to some heavy convincing to make me consider picking that show again

2003 is far superior watch that one.

Nah, go fuck yourself.

my dick is not long enough for such a thing

Brotherhood is objectively closer to shonenshit because the last 38 or so episodes is one big battle. 2003 anime is much more atmospheric and thematic so to speak, even if to a fault.

Watch the original until the point that it diverges from Brotherhood, then watch Brotherhood. I forgot which episodes are that exactly, but look it up.

I feel like they didn't try with the early episodes of Brotherhood because they wanted to get to the parts that the original didn't cover faster.

What both series cover, 2003 might be slightly better. But when the sins show up and Dante appears, 2003 anime becomes terrible. The plot of 2003 is objectively worse and poorly thought out, it being dark doesn't make up for its stupidity.

The only good thing from 2003 is the movie, everything else is more or less inferior to Brotherhood. If you think Brotherhood is bad, I can't say because I read it and didn't watch it,, then the 2003 version is worse.

They're both shonenshit. If you don't like shonenshit, just don't watch FMA.

The original might be a little less shonenshit, but it's a lot more stupid once it diverges from the manga.

>Watches a show based on a shounen manga
>Is shocked that it's full of shounen tropes
It is one of the stronger shounen series there is, but if you don't like shounen it won't do anything to really win you over. You should've known what you were getting in to. Not the show's fault that it isn't catered to your specific tastes.

I watched the OG FMA years ago. From what i gather i only remember the first couple episodes and then the ending which was weird.

I started watching brotherhood and im in episode 50 and i think that the first 12 or so episodes were good (shounen shit aside), with some nice "dark" themes and stuff, but it quickly got old and devolded more and more into shounen shit. And now i just barely care anymore, the writing got really terrible and inconsistent for the sake of continuing the story, with the "promised day" and all that shit.

I really like the dark episodes at the start of the series and the death of Lust was the only HYPE moment (so far at least), also Alexander Armstrong is still best girl.

The mistery that the series promised at the start didnt pay off at all