Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1540

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/DgZ84qwk
kou.benesse.co.jp/nigate/japanese/a13j0112.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Make 櫻さま proud...

Is there an easy way to tell when a kanji is read with the on or kun reading, or is it completely random and you have to know the vocab?

おそっ

Kanji study is useless just pick up the vocab

This image is shit and boring. Why have you greyed-scaled it all? It looks awful.

If you're not going to use the default image then at least use a decent one. I'm not even objecting to the use of Sakura, I'm objecting to the shit aesthetics of this specific picture.

Contact Sakura-chan to make a better triggering image if you don't like it.

Any of you guys got a penpal and if some how did you manage to get one, I want practice speaking Japanese.

Use hellotalk it's much easier

I just speak to anime. It's a good way to learn.

Friendly Reminder

How to tell if something is a shitpost:
>calls the community made guide/whatever method a piece of shit with no reasoning given why
>insults someone giving helpful advice with no reasoning given why
>attempts to create arguments over virtually nothing (eg opinions without facts)
>"spam questions" that are easily answered via a 1 second glance at the guide
>uses obtuse Japanese fragments interspersed with English to attempt bypass people trying to filter the shitposts
>any mention of anime being shit, or "real Japanese"
>spells the word as romanji

>hellotalk
Is that the "HelloTalk - Learn Languages Free on Google Play"?

I assume it is just like LINE? Have you personally used it? how useful did you find it?

His active time is also usually from 6am GMT to 5pm GMT if anyone wants to just avoid the thread while he's sperging about

>that detail
Well. I think アニメ is art now.

Flawed method: compounds use the on reading, when its on its own it uses the kun reading

できる method: study hard boya

He's a neet faggot, so it isn't really guaranteed.

Past two days it's been that at least, I think he tires himself out pretty quickly considering he doesn't do anything but monitor this thread every second on the day, but yeah it probably is unreliable

You must be pretty new.
aka living the anime life.

>being this obsessed with anime man
What's your objective now that you have trapped everyone in your charm?

I have used it a bit, but I got pretty bored of it, it's pretty much what you'd expect just chatting one on one with a bunch of normies, usually women

It is really useful and has a fuck ton of users, when I used it I just made an account, didn't even have a description on it and still just got people adding me constantly

Can't really think of any easier way to practice production, check it out

I don't really know if I actually want to do it, my image of talking to Japanese people is that they don't really teach you anything and won't correct you if you say the wrong thing.

I just can't think of any other way that doesn't cost money to practice speaking.

食うぇぽっぽに鳴るぞをこれから気楽得るとても悪いガス機器。ですか?

I have about 75% correct after doing reviews and 30 new cards a day. Is this ok or too bad

normal

That's about right if you like 漫画 or 小説

Yeah I thought the same thing when I was using it, Japanese women are far too overly nice, they'll say your Japanese is amazing no matter how shit it is

But I think even with that it's still beneficial just to practice, you get naturally better from the exposure anyway, up to you

It's all right.

>Japanese women are far too overly nice, they'll say your Japanese is amazing no matter how shit it is
can't you encourage them to point out mistakes or something
dont they care even then? they're basically talking to chaika

Why is アニメ so bad for learning?

>normies

Most people found Chaika endearing.

Anyone mind posting that one pastebin explaining how to set up a text hooker in your browser? I couldn't find it in the guide

People? Are you sure they can be called people?

I guess it depends who you talk to, I said that to a few of the people I spoke to but they never seemed to keep it up, but to be fair I never tended to correct their English either, always just felt kind of rude

If you want something where you'll have accurate corrections all the time you can try out Lang8 , people are really serious on there and will correct everything you say, but it's harder to think of shit to write about imo because it's like a blog kinda deal as opposed to one on one convos

1. Stop reading VN
2. Start reading Japanese.
No need for any text hookers.

7X42T4kG

SHOCKING TRUTH

Is there any way to do vertical text properly in Anki? You can cheat by setting the div width to the width of your font, but that fucks up when you get a card with 拗音 (see top of pic).

I did some googling and there is a CSS option for vertical text (-webkit-writing-mode: vertical-rl;), but it doesn't seem to work correctly in Anki. The glyphs are supposed to be vertical when using this option (see middle of pic), but Anki actually rotates them sideways (see bottom of pic).

Nah, if you watch アニメ you are not a real person. Just a hollow shell masquerading as one.

But I don't want to learn Japanese, I want to learn to read raw VN

Don't get between me any my shit taste

Not even joking, I saw that coming word for word

Why did you ask for the guide if you know everything already?

What about just stopping placebo usage?

there's another CSS option, one of the two between them is old or nonstandard

try the one you didn't try yet

Are you referring to tb-rl? If so, that does absolutely nothing.

I was referring to rb-rl but I don't see it on your list.

Despite how enlightening the phrase "Anime is shit." is, I'd still like to learn how to set up my text hooker properly

is not me

Okay. Here is the real one gkUKbfPS

That doesn't do anything either, though I guess you are just a shitposter judging from

is not me

Yes, it's just a shitposter.

I went looking and what I was thinking about was text-orientation.

>all these people helping sakurafag shitpost
Why?

Learn about post timers.

Should I read Zaregoto?

Back in my EOP days I've read the first two volumes, but now I'd of course go for the entire series in Japanese.

But damn the books are long. I check out volume 1 in Book Off and could read it 100% fine (why do people say Nisio is hard?), but the page count is challenging.

I don't know then. It worked for me.

Long books are good books. Reading is good. Read as much as you can. Then read even more.

>Should I read anime?
No.

He's apparently not on windows or is using nonstandard text rendering so "works for me" doesn't really matter.

I'm mainly debating if Zaregoto is worth the time investment when I could use the time to read several different one-volume books instead.

Fuck off, shitposter. I was just trying to help him.

Cool posts. You fit in perfectly.
Dekinai できない クールミーム

this webm makes me wonder. Do you know of have any good YTPs that use current anime as source material.

Wait, so that CSS works fine on the Windows version of Anki?

Please screenshot for proofs.

Also, when you say
>I don't know then. It worked for me.
Which CSS option are you referring to specifically?

rb-rl.

Usually compounds use the on reading, but on some occasions, there are compounds made up of kun readings.
I think there are some exceptions for lone kanji too, but none come to mind atm.

Get enough vocab/exposure in you and you'll be able to feel them out.

Not useless; especially if you're set on reading rather than listening. Vocab and the rest falls into place if you're flexible and attentive.

Follow someone you're interested in on twitter and commend their work or something.

>There are kanji dancing around in my head xD Dekinai
Another cool post.

>Wait, so that CSS works fine on the Windows version of Anki?
I don't know if it does, I was just responding to something he said.

>Also, when you say
>>I don't know then. It worked for me.

I didn't test the option he posted (rb-rl)

how to install a deck inside anki?

What kind of logic is that? And it's a good LN.

どうしてアコちゃんがこんなに可愛いですか?

>What kind of logic is that?

Perhaps not an immediately obvious one, but reading mostly one volume LNs allows me to swtich between various authors with various styles and topics and feel the feeling of accomplished accompanying finishing a book more often.

If I decided to read Zaregoto, I'd end up Nisio'd for a long time.

Don't read Zaregoto then.

できない。

一流の主婦ですから
Rusianの野郎、裏山氏

Thank you very much meido-san.

Thanks janitor/mod

happening?

You don't have to read the series in one go you know. And whether it's worth the time investment depends on if you want to read it or something else more, pretty simple.

Anyways, what are some of those one volume LNs? I'm curious, since I'm only really familiar with the serialized ones.

But I kinda want to. I'm just not sure I'd keep wanting all the time it would take to read them.

Also I'm not sure if I should skip volumes 1 and 2 since I already EOP'd them few years back.

I'm watching horrible's release of Mayoiga ep 7 and, at 18:37, one of the characters seems to say「女性べしはつげんね。」 (TL'd as "Talk about misogyny.")
What does the べし part mean?
The best I could dig up was it possibly being a form of へす, meaning 'to push/dent/press'.

>Anyways, what are some of those one volume LNs?

Gagaga Bunko has plently of those. Seikaisha Fictions too.

For starters you can read 田中ロミオ's LNs. You'll see that there's a reason why people say he's on a level above others. Especially if you read a book of his after reading some standard LN written by some whoever.

唐辺葉介 also has several one-volume works under 星海社FICTIONS. He's notable, cause he's actually Setoguchi Ren'ya.

How about you alternate between Zaregoto and other LNs
>Also I'm not sure if I should skip volumes 1 and 2 since I already EOP'd them few years back.
Having memory of the story can be useful as it'll help you avoid getting too confused. So from a learning perspective it isn't a bad idea I think.

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I found it pastebin.com/raw/DgZ84qwk

べし is from べき most likely (the old 終止形 conjugation of it), but I can't say what it's supposed to mean.

べし is Old Japanese, used today too in more formal or serious contexts. Just google it and you can find million explanation. Example: kou.benesse.co.jp/nigate/japanese/a13j0112.html
If you want to write in in kanji, it's 可し, but that was used just in 漢文訓読, i.e. 不可欠 - 欠ける可から不 - かけるべからず.

Most importantly it's not tied with nouns, so when you say
>one of the characters seems to say 女性べし
you likely misheard.

It's way more proper to say べき is 連体形 of べし, as べし is the base form.

>Something you should say to women right?

Sup Forums Ban 30 days View Global 9 - Ban Evasion 19 minutes ago

WEW

滅茶苦茶
目茶苦茶

Anyone stumbled upon any proper audio lessons that can be used when not doing Anki? I find myself cycling or sitting in public transit a lot, and I feel I could use said time to listen to some stuff. the resource guide suggest Japanese pod 101 which is sort-of-free but I'm looking for something actually free or "free"

Audiobooks?

I think 女性べしはつげん refers to statements like "women should stay in the kitchen" et.c. Which would be written as 女性は....べし in Japanese. So the character is pointing that whatever was said sounded a lot like something like that, which of course often sounds pretty condescending, and at times misogynistic.

Don't think I'm far enough yet for fully fledged Japanese Audiobooks. I'm about 1½ months into 2k/6k at the moment

Can I see your Anki chart? I'm about the same into it and want to compare.

べっし:蔑視じゃないかなあとおもうよ

おにいちゃんったら