How does giving up the ability to perform alchemy equivalent to bringing a person back from the dead?

How does giving up the ability to perform alchemy equivalent to bringing a person back from the dead?

>questioning shounenshit logic

Because it was his entire livelihood and life's ambition. In a sense, he gave up his life to bring his brother back, and that is (in anime logic) equivalent exchange.

It has all to do with personal value in this case since we're dealing with more abstract shit and not just chemistry. Ed cherished his alchemy powers that dearly.

I hate how this show made human transmutation forbidden and the domain of god and shit, when any alchemist with the proportions of substance and knowledge of chemistry could make humans or animals from scratch with some tweaking you could make actual immortal humans and do thing that would take genetic engineering technology years to do. I also realized Alchemist can literally create shit without needing tools that would revolutionize human construction ability big time.

Al was not conventionally dead. He was just behind the gate. Ed Sacrificed the Gate itself, which was possibly the most valuable thing he had, as the Truth says things like "Thats Right! You won!". When he does this Al comes back. I think it makes sense

Alchemy isn't real

His brother was never dead. The mind was transferred to the normal world since the beginning and the body, while malnourished, remained save as well. He only needed to give away something to get the body back from "truth" and combine it again with the soul.

If there is some inconsistency with the equivalent exchange, then why did the human transmutation in the beginning cost them an entire body+soul and an arm? Not only did they already had the necessary materials for the body, but the soul was a new creation by them, not something brought back from the afterlife, thus why the need for such huge payment?

It was punishment.

The show's actually terrible. I'm pretty sure most of the people who love it so much watched it when they were 12, its writing is worse than Naruto

They both payed for extra "knowledge" (why edward could clap to perform alchemy) without realizing it. Seems to just come when dealing with alchemy dealing with artificial life.

well you could say that the power of manipulating creation is equal to a life or something like that

but actually I think it was meant to be nonequivalent on purpose
because the theory of equivalent exchange was actually false
I'm pretty sure its implied that Ed realizes this at the end

Here's your (you)

If you were paying attention there was a running theme where the gate punished people for reaching beyond themselves. Arrogance was the crime of which they were guilty and the ultimate arrogance was thinking they could create life from death.
The transmutation never worked. The gate took and punished and gave them knowledge so that they could see the depth of their foolishness but never were the dead restored.
Edward not only gave back the knowledge of the gate but he gave up his own and the power of alchemy with it. He accepted his place as a human and needed nothing beyond that and other humans for his happiness. Humility was the answer. Remember that the greatest sin was pride and it makes sense that the god would frown on that particular failing most.

I've got a head canon that Pride was a failed homunculus, that the dwarf in the flask couldn't actually remove all of his pride, thus the Homunculus created was but a shadow of his own pride. Therefore the humunculus he created was itself a shadow and had to be housed in a vessel without pride which is an infant without awareness.

Al wasn't actually dead, that's why it worked.

I'm pretty sure "dead" implies "soul departed from the world". Al's soul was still present (bound to armor). Therefore, he was not brought back from the dead.

It's a traditional attitude, versus the more postmodern transhumanist one you seem to be spouting. Personally, I think there are things us humans should not get involved in, though you may feel free to disagree on that point.

>Personally, I think there are things us humans should not get involved in
What a fag.

He only lost the ability to perform alchemy without a transmutation circle, an ability which he gained by killing someone.

[Tip]
No, if you paid attention, you'd know he'd lost the ability altogether.

Tell me the chemical composition of the human soul

I only remember that the last episode showed him trying to perform clap alchemy and showing he failed, and him saying that it means he can't do alchemy at all, but it makes more sense to me to assume he meant not doing clap-alchemy, though if in the manga it's more explicit then I guess I was wrong

If he said "I can't do alchemy at all", I would defer to his greater expertise and assume he's right, even if he doesn't show it explicitly.

souls are made up of feels

This would make a lot of sense to me, considering that he is still studying alchemy. I can't remember one single alchemist that does it solely on a theoretical basis.

Souls in the FMAverse, are basically just Philosopher's stones contained within Human vessels.

>it's a derp commemeder thread
Sage, reported, called the Navy.

Makes perfect sense to me. Stripped of the ability to do transmutations on his own, he becomes the world's first theoretical alchemist.

I happen to be on good terms with the Armed Forces.

I love how in any thread he visits, I almost instantly lose interest in talking about the topic at hand.

Because it was convenient to the plot. Also Al wasn't actually dead, Arakawa just needed to wrap it up with the equivalent exchange whatever. No seriousl, it's shonen where everything is powered by hope and the friendship, looking deeper than that is nonsense.

Alchemy in FMA very much had a spiritual component to it. The Door can't be explained by science.

The show was very literal. Roy lost "his vision" for the future when he performed human alchemy, Ed lost his "life" to get Alphonse back.

I was 30 when FMA aired.

So why are you still browsing this board, gramps?

>I also realized Alchemist can literally create shit without needing tools that would revolutionize human construction ability big time.
>Street workers aren't big muscular guys but smart skinny ones that studies Alchemy now.
That would be pretty funny.

I think it's shown though that because alchemy is such a complex and specialized field of study, that there's still a need for ordinary manual labor because there aren't enough alchemists to do everything that needs to get done.