Dragon Ball Episode & Movie Order?

So, I've never actually watched the whole thing.

I've seen all of Dragonball, and some of Z (End of Cell Saga).

I've been both building my anime collection, and wanting to watch the whole thing, in chronological order, start to finish over a period of a few months.

Can I get some direction on what that watch order is? 30 minutes of googling turned up nothing helpful.

I get that it's DB>DBZ/Kai>GT

But I don't know where all the movies and TV specials tie in, or if Kai covers everything between GB & GT or not. Do I have to switch back to DBZ at some point? and if so, what episode of DBZ is the first one after Kai?

Other urls found in this thread:

kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22315
dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_timeline
reddit.com/r/dbz/wiki/readwatch
dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Peaceful_World_Saga
twitter.com/AnonBabble

movies are pretty much all spinoff/non-canon

>movies are pretty much all spinoff/non-canon
huh.

Do they contradict the canon stuff?

I'm feeling like getting basically as much dragonball story as possible (though with the fight scenes dragging on as little as possible).

Dragon Ball movies are all non-canon AU type shit.

Dragon Ball Z movies are vaguely more... in-universe. But they are all 'these take place somewhere around here' and not 'these take place directly after here because it ties into this'.

Except for Dead Zone which ties fairly directly into a filler arc they did.

I'll try to write an order in a minute.

kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22315
dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_timeline

I wrote my own order since those go too depth really.

Movie 1 Dead Zone

Dragon Ball Z 001-117 (Vegeta - Garlic Jr Saga)

Movie 2, 3, 4 (World's Strongest, Tree of Might, Lord Slug)

Dragon Ball Z 118-125 (Trunks Saga)

Movie 5 - Cooler's Revenge

Dragon Ball Z 126-165 (Androids - Perfect Cell)

Movie 6, 7, 8 (Return of Cooler, Super Android 13, Broly)

Dragon Ball Z 166-194 (Cell Games)

Movie 9 (Bojack)

Dragon Ball Z 195-209 (Great Saiyaman)

Movie 10 (Broly 2)

Dragon Ball Z 210-291 (All the Buu arcs)

Movie 11, 12, 13 (Bio-Broly, Fusion Reborn, Wrath of the Dragon)

Dragon Ball: Yo Son Goku OVA

And then Super.

Watch Bardock the Father of Goku and Episode of Bardock after 107 (end of Frieza) and History of Trunk after 194 (end of Cell Games)

Watch Dragon Ball movies right after finishing Dragon Ball I guess, they are pretty much alternate universe shit.

Actually, move Dead Zone to before episode 108 (just before Garlic Jr filler arc starts). Just view it as a flashback.

>Do they contradict the canon stuff?
Yes. They basically just don't fit the continuity at all.

Also, they are approximately in the order of the anime, so probably watch them in order. More specifically, during the Namek Saga, watch movies up to Lord Slug, a little bit after starting the Android Saga watch Cooler's Revenge, finish the Cell Saga and then watch up to Bojack unbound, then finish the series and watch the rest of the films.

here, was retarded and didn't read the thread. Just listen to . More in depth, and I approve.

Thanks buddy.

That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Make sure to move Dead Zone to before episode 108 (just before Garlic Jr filler arc starts). Just view it as a flashback/side story.

Have fun.

Thanks.

Oh fuck, by the way, these are uncut episode numbers, so if you're going with Kai or english version, it's different, and just follow it by arc instead. Check the wiki.

Noted. I'll probably either be going with Kai or the English Dub of DBZ. Haven't decided on which one yet, leaning towards Kai.

Allot of movies are are loose retellings of the arcs.

You'll miss out on episode gold like 'Goku and Piccolo learn to drive' though.

I am more than okay with that.

Where does GT fit in, Exactly?

I know it's after Z, but are there any movies after GT?

I recently watched Kai and it goes fast. You can probably look up the filler episodes and decide if you want to watch them or not. A lot of them are terrible but the driving episode is gold along with a few others.

There are no GT movies but there is a TV special about Goku's great-great grandson called "A Hero's Legacy" which I think was released in America as a single "movie"

GT is getting kinda weird to place because Super could make it canon or not canon really easily. Watch GT at your own discretion though. I personally found a lot of it terrible but the Super 17 saga is great.

Would I watch Super before or after GT?

Hmm.

I see what you mean.

It could end up being two alternate sequels to DBZ, rather than what happens between DBZ and GT.

Canon wise: Super then GT
Creation timeline wise: GT then Super
Super is still being produced so if you want you can watch some of GT until Super is officially finished just to see of you even like it. Don't invest time into GT unless you like what's happening.

Thanks!

No prob. Hope you have fun. Just a warning though they are probably working on the dub of the second part of Kai which is the all the stuff after the Cell Games.

...and if you didn't know, there's two movies (Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of F) which were expanded into arcs for Super so. They were made first, so it's up to you which order to watch it. Sup Forums generally agrees that the movies are better than the TV arcs, so I'd vote watch them first.

But it'll be a while before you have to worry about that. The journey of DBZ is long and hard, good luck my friend.

i want to REEE you so bad

Watch in release order:

reddit.com/r/dbz/wiki/readwatch

Or read the manga. Just don't watch the English dub if you care at all about the series.

What he said. But the thing about GT, is that it's not canon anymore. You can still watch it for the sake of it if you like it. Generally speaking, DBZ had Vegeta saga, Freezer saga, Androids saga, Cell saga, Buu saga, 28th Tournament saga. This last part (28th Tournament) was only a few chapters where very little happened, since Toriyama had enough and decided to stop, and it's not oficially named, I just made up that name for the explanation (it's not even a saga).
GT came a few years after 28th Tournament, with all the characters older, and concluded Goku's story. It wasn't based on Toriyama's work: even though character designs came from him, the story is made up by Toei.

Some years later, Super came to be. But since GT didn't come from Toriyama to begin with and GT wasn't even that popular, they decided to go back in time. So Super starts almost at the end of DBZ, erasing GT from continuity (and maybe the last chapters of Z as well, who knows). Super starts after Buu's saga ends and before the 28th Tournament. Toriyama doesn't write the manga, but as far as I know he's doing the designs and works as a consultant; so the story is approved by him, even if he doesn't sit down to draw everything.
To be more precise, the first thing released was Battle of the Gods, in 2013, which was still called DBZ. The same happened with 2015's movie, DBZ: Resurrection F. That movie aired in April 2015, and DB Super started on July, 2015. That being said, the first 14 chapters of Super are a retelling of the Battle of the Gods movie, with minor changes. And from chapter 15 to chapter 27 of Super it's a retelling of Resurrection F. Starting on chapter 28 they are doing new, original content, and that's where we are right now.

Finally, it's worth noting that even though the movie The Path to Ultimate Strength was released in March, 1996, during GT's run, it's actually a retelling of the first part of Dragon Ball story, so it doesn't have anything to do with GT at all.

>This last part (28th Tournament) was only a few chapters where very little happened, since Toriyama had enough and decided to stop, and it's not oficially named, I just made up that name for the explanation (it's not even a saga).

Just call it epilogue like everyone else.

Apparently it was marked as "Peaceful World Saga" in some data book. dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Peaceful_World_Saga

Oh Christ, stop being autistic and just watch it in the order that the shows came out, and experience it as everyone who followed it "live" experienced it. The movies are largely unaffected by the Canon story and can be watched roughly any time. It's a shounen anime, it's not going to enlighten the experience exponentially if you see fight X before fight Y.

Also
> I'm going to watch the English dub
Why?

>just watch it in the order that the shows came out
I will never understand this. Is it literally a suggestion to watch it this exact order, even if the movie happens to air in the middle of an already running arc?

We have the benefit of not waiting week-to-week. Watching the entire arc and then watching the movies involved is pretty easily superior.