What the fuck its just the same episode a million times

what the fuck its just the same episode a million times

why did Sup Forums tell me it was good

Other urls found in this thread:

japanator.com/yamakan-didn-t-like-endless-eight-either-offers-apology-10607.phtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it's a really good episode worth watching a million times.

I want to believe there is a new generation of autists that will sit through Endless 8 like we did.

I marathoned it in a single sitting

Why do people do this? You knew it couldn't possibly be worth it.

This post brought to you by the anti-art movement

Pleb detected

Sup Forums doesn't know the difference between intellectually stimulating, thematically deep anime, and pretentious wankery. You were tricked into watching the latter. Sorry to hear that.

I didn't mind Haruhi but holy hell that endless eight arc was the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. So glad I didn't see it while it was airing and was able to skip past most of those episodes.

Because every week we had hope it would end, by the first month half of the fan base died. Every week after that the numbers exponentially grew, there was no catharsis, there was jubilation across all the boards, but the damage was done.

Shitty b8. Endless 8 isn't thematically deep, but it's the best commentary on anime itself out there. It's painful, and as someone who watched the whole thing despite knowing it was going to be the same it's not worth it for entertainment value, but it's certainly something that had to be said and if you didn't watch it you can't really appreciate Haruhi.

if i were to start haruhi now, how much of the endless eight would i actually have to watch?

>ITT: plebians
I watched the whole thing in one thing, I got out with a headache but I regret nothing. It made me experience an infinitely small part of what Nagato endured and just for that, it's worth watching.

>Endless 8 isn't thematically deep, but it's the best commentary on anime itself out there.
Elaborate.

The point of E8 was to force the viewer to experience the same tedium that Yuki Nagato was forced to experience when trapped in some ~15000 repititions of similar events. That's all it was.

How is that a commentary on anime itself? Or are you someone who watches so much bland repetitive crap that you think it's indicative of the quality of the medium as a whole?

>if i were to start haruhi now, how much of the endless eight would i actually have to watch?
My advice is to watch it until you're bored to tears, then skip ahead to the 8th episode. Alternately, watch the first one, pick a random one or two from the middle six to watch, then skip ahead to the last one.

Endless 8 was a mistake

you should've just watched the chronological order until episode 6, you get a perfectly entertaining anime with no filler and a happy ending

>taking Sup Forums advice on anything
It was your own damn fault OP.
He obviously didn't know about the different viewing orders.

It's not the same episode over and over. There are slight differences.

Endless 8 has great art direction so I don't really see a problem with it, it's like rewatching a really good thing 8 times but each time there is something slightly different.

The movie was worth it.

Someone explain what this Endless 8 bullshit is and why people are mad. Only watched the first episode and couldn't be bothered after that. I just like to know these things.

>Only watched the first episode
fuck off and watch more then if you want to know why you retard.

t. (You)

I didn't realize there were smart people on Sup Forums.

>Endless 8 has great art direction so I don't really see a problem with it
That's because you're stupid.

>not enjoying endless 8
>not enjoying spotting all the differences between each episode

If you didn't like it you were probably underage when it aired.

/thread

Seriously, what kind of idiot trusts Sup Forums for a recommendation?

I remember watching this thinking there was some secret well-hidden scene that explains what Haruhi was and how she could do the things she unknowingly did. Then I found out the truth. The whole "this was to show you what Yuki was feeling" thing. Such bullshit. I could've done it in two, three episodes tops. Then devoted the rest to fucking fleshing out the story. Maybe introduce Hurahi's parents! Or having Kyon meet the Data Entity whatever Yuki answers to.

No matter how long I live, I will never understand why they did what they did. I thought drugs were hard to get in Japan.

Endless eight was like having shit in the mouth. You can convince yourself that it's good since the subtleties of the shit make it an interesting experience but you still need to realise what is going on.

guys so why whats the best way to experience 2006 haruhi for a first timer? broadcast or chronological? can you please elaborate?

I watched Endless 8 solitarily because anime forums looked shit and as far as I knew, Sup Forums was a website full of psychos that dox people.

It's garbage and the very definition of pretentious. Sure fire way to spot a mindless idiot that just likes anything Kyoani makes; ask them if they thought Endless 8 was good.

Posting the LN that got the repetition plot right. Far better than Endless 8.

The idea of making endless eight into 8 actual episodes may be pretty awful. But I must admit the execution was flawless.
Each episode was made from scratch, so they almost don't feel the same.

Still, when it aired waiting for weeks for it to end must have been terrible.

broadcast.

>whats the best way to experience 2006 haruhi for a first timer? broadcast or chronological?
Broadcast. You can go for chronological order when re-watching for a different experience, but watch it in broadcast order the first time. The first episode is actually a really clever introduction to the series and possibly the most forgiveable instance of anachronism you're going to experience with Haruhi.

Fuck off.

>Maybe introduce Hurahi's parents! Or having Kyon meet the Data Entity whatever Yuki answers to.

i hope you never write anything

How many times have you guys seen endless eight? Three whole times here, it's grown on me a lot over time.

Same. Liked it too. Masterpiece. (not sure if willing to do it again though)

The anime was ok until that point, once the time loop bullshit started I switched to the dub and multitasked the rest of it.
5/10

This. People telling "its same stuff repeated 8 times" either did not watch it, fast forwarded or ADHD idiots.

Though i say you have to marathon it, and not watch as when it aired.

>The anime was ok until that point, once the time loop bullshit started I switched to the dub and multitasked the rest of it.

there aren't

>I'm a dumb faggot, so everyone else must be too

So, is the second season of Haruhi any good? I never bothered to watch it or the movie. I think I watched season 1 in chronological order. Should I rewatch the whole thing?

Lain? Fuck. That anime pissed me off, I didn't get it until 2 years after watching it. Basically if you didn't memorise the fucking letter in episode 1, you won't understand the rest of the series maybe I should give it another go, but there's a part of me that just thinks it was shit. Thoughts?

Endless 8 is wonderful because of how fucking ballsy it was. Imagine going to the studio board and telling them that you're going to air the same episode 8 times over. The fact that it happened at all justifies it.

Second season is good, Endless 8 nonwithstanding, and the movie is wonderful.

>maybe I should give it another go, but there's a part of me that just thinks it was shit. Thoughts?
There's always this uneasy feeling which comes with watching any series in the 'mystery' genre, and that's the uncertainty of whether there's a meaning behind it all or if it's just a load of pretentious nonsense. I can confirm that there's a genuine solution behind everything you see in Serial Experiments Lain (except maybe the KIDS episode - still not 100% on that part), and most importantly that the clues which will lead you to fully understand the nature of not just Lain but also her sister are all right there in the episodes.

It's definitely the kind of series which you'll love more and more every time you re-watch it, so I can highly recommend that you do. I would have rated SEL about 6/10 after I first saw it, and since then it has become my single favourite anime series of all time. Pay close attention to the cafe scenes in episode 5 and pretty much everything in episode 9 if you want to understand what's going on. Those two episodes are the most crucial ones imho.

Chronological. Starting the series with Mikuru episode is the dumbest shit.

If you like to pretend that only 13 episodes exist (ie. missing half of the episodes and a whole fucking movie) and prefer having artificial confusion over the way it was written in the original LNs, missing all the character development, then feel free to watch the 2006 broadcast.

No. Having the climax happen halfway through, and then watching filler for the rest of the season is dumbest shit.

Are you retarded? There are 28 episodes + movie regardless of watching order.

if you find this annoying, just think in how yukki has feel about repeat the same for over 15000 times, that's empathy

>mfw watched the first six in one day

It's good and there's the 10/10 movie right after

Glad you're willing to admit it.

I wish I could go back in time, get my memory erased and watch Haruhi S2 when it was airing again.

it's avant garde

you wouldn't understand until you watched Disappearance

Some things never change.

I got my fucking dad to watch Higurashi. The only thing that bothered him during the entire run of the show was that Kai wasn't dubbed.

Fucking beat that.

It's like saying you can start Lord of the Rings with
Two Towers or Return of the King

Does that series still stay good?
I've read the first 2 and 1 was great but 2 was kinda meh

Sup Forums was better when it wasn't infested with utter losers who want to kill themselves

back then only /jp/ wanted to die

Higurashi wasn't bad for me aside from the fingernail scene.
You know the one.
>mfw

>The point of E8 was to force the viewer to experience the same tedium that Yuki Nagato was forced to experience
This is the exact reason that the series (including E8) is great. Haruhi is some kind of god who is constantly subtly altering her own universe in ways which may or may not be apparent. The series intimates over and over that it's impossible to know what's a static reality and what's a Haruhi creation. Her powers are limitless but ambiguous.

The greatness of the series is that it forces the viewer into the reality of the show. The show treats you as if you were one of the characters in the show. It attempts to blur the line between passive viewer and active participant. E8 makes you experience feelings of frustration and hatred toward Haruhi because of what she's putting you through, subjecting you to, making you sit through all this shit. You're stuck and frustrated just like Kyon is, you just want it to end.

Then you watch disappearance, and Kyon is forced to ask himself the question, why did he stick around? Why did he keep showing up? Was she putting him through all of this? Or was he inviting it upon himself by continuing to go to the club room every afternoon? Why did he do it? Why did we, the audience, keep watching even while Haruhi put us through hell? Isn't our answer the same as the one he came up with?

Even if you don't like the style or tone of Haruhi, or you think E8 was like pulling teeth, you should recognize the artistic goal involved. I would argue that E8 was a bold creative decision, not just because it was a shocking thing to air on television, but because it so effectively services the mechanism of the show, that blurring of the lines, and how effectively that mechanism illustrates the subject matter.

Watching the Mikuru episode first is essential even if you otherwise watch chronologically. It was made to be the very first episode of the series, watching it chronologically doesn't work. It was never designed to be seen that way.

The Mikuru episode is fucking genius when you get that it was more or less the actual plot of the anime hidden behind two layers of mahou shojo fightan'

The problem with broadcast order is that Someday in The Rain is no longer after E8, and is no longer the final episode. It's critical role in setting up the movie makes it super important that it's the last episode.

>that scene in the VN
save me

Lookin back it was hilarious to watch it every week with Sup Forums. If you watch the show now and still watch every Episode of it you are just autistic.

>anything I don't like is autistic!
Well memed, good sir.

I don't care much about the symbolical meaning of that or whatever pretentious people say (outside of the "feel what Yuki felt" thing which is kinda clever), but the direction was great and the timeloop feeling was really well done

This. They obviously did their best to keep things bearable by getting creative with the direction. They're actually really beautifully crafted episodes. It's certainly not like this was the easy road for Kyoani to take. They worked damn hard on Endless Eight.

So what did it best? I'd say probably Higurashi with all the TIPS

someone should add Maria to this aswell

am i dumb because i just realized it's called endless eight because an 8 is just like a flipped over infinity symbol ∞ ? so it's endless, and infinity. do you think that's why they chose to do eight episodes? just for that shitty nip pun?

Well, Tatami's looping was probably the most interesting to me. It beats out Haruhi by having a totally different story for each ep, and Madoka was just not that great in general.

>critical role in setting up the movie
Could you elaborate? I fail to see how it's relevant to the movie at all.

I think they did eight episodes because it's called "endless eight" in the book dumbass

i loved it, have you had a day in your life that you wanted to repeat forever, it brought me this nostalgia place, i didn't how to explain it.

Someday in the Rain is a lighter version of Disappearance. Kyon goes through an apparently tedious task (fetching the heater for Haruhi) but he's still willing to do it and is rewarded by Haruhi's kindness at the end. Haruhi does her thing with the club members, doesn't create any kind of cataclysm or supernatural thing, showing she changed and can enjoy a boring day.
Meanwhile, Nagato is all alone, reading, and no one pays attention to her. Everyone either ignores her or asks her where X is. Everything she does is for someone/something else (like putting a book on a bookshelf and hiding Mikuru dressing up)
At the end of the episode, Kyon falls asleep before he can talk to Nagato and wakes up with two cardigans on his back. One is Haruhi's, the second is obviously Nagato's (she stood up right after he fell asleep) but he doesn't give much of a thought about it because he plays with Haruhi right after that. That's Disappearance in a nutshell.

I like the way that S;G made it clear he was doing this a lot while keeping it within meaningful terms. A lot of time loop stories go overboard with the number of loops. Saying somebody experienced the same day or whatever for ten thousand years is impressive, but completely meaningless for understanding the experience of the character. Saying that they did so for perhaps a year keeps it as a long time but also means it's measured in something that people can understand. I can imagine the same day looping constantly for a year. I can't for ten thousand.

The whole episode is tied very directly to Nagato's role in the film. Think about that final scene between Kyon and Nagato. He says something about how the AI whatever should have given her a more complete personality. That's what the long shots of Nagato in the room at that weird wide fisheyed angle are establishing. How lonely she feels in that room, even when there's so much activity going on around her. She can't effectively communicate with the others, and they have a tendency to not even notice she's there. At one point they all run off and just leave her, she's almost a piece of furniture sometimes.

Then there's the cardigans. There are two cardigans draped over Kyon at the end. The direction is a little tricky here, and it sort of misdirects you into either not thinking about it or thinking that the second is Mikuru's, but based on the one shot of Nagato's empty chair and the fact that Nagato was last shown standing up while alone in the room with Kyon, it's pretty apparent that it was Nagato's. This implies that nagato feels a certain affection for Kyon, a feeling that it had up to that point been taken for granted that she could not feel. This is a clear indication of the emotions that Kyon talks about having built up inside of her over all that time (again, the end of disappearance).

You kinda sniped me hah, but I've only got one thing to add. There's this one weird almost throwaway line in that final little back and forth between Kyon and Nagato. She says something about how if she had talked to him about this stuff, she probably would have just wiped his memory anyway. This is a really weird line by itself because it seems to have no purpose while all the other dialog is pretty tight. But I submit that this interaction actually occurred between the shot where Nagato stood up in the room alone with Kyon and the shot where he's waking up with the two cardigans.

I'm kinda mad they didn't tell how much Homura spent in the timeloop in the show (they said about 8 years in an interview)

Maria's quite clever in that they used lots of loops not to show anything about the characters but to put subliminal messages in the characters' heads
i.e. you hear the same idea every day for ten thousand days and eventually you're convinced that it's a great idea

It's also because august is the eight month of the year. In Japan, months are named after their numbers so it's literally "endless august".

The wiping memory stuff could also mean she was so fucked up that she would either refuse his help at this point or really wanted to experience her own perfect reality after suffering so much.

But yeah it'd be pretty interesting the way you put it, especially considering that she says "it might already have happened"

I forgot to mention that Someday in The Rain is my favorite episode. The first time I watched it I had no fucking clue what the point was (the average experience, I think), and I still didn't get it after watching the movie, I had just forgotten about it. It wasn't until my second viewing of the series when I got around to Someday again that it finally all clicked.

It's one of my favorite episode of anime of all time. It perfectly illustrates her character in a way that is totally unique to her. Her whole character is that she doesn't have any outward portrayal of character, so her experience is illustrated entirely via direction. Add to that the fact that what's going on is so subtle and nuanced that the average viewer entirely misses what's right in front of them until they've seen the movie, the fact that the episode exists almost entirely in service of the movie, the fact that it's the finale of the chronological series, and all of the genius little pieces of direction in every little goddam shot... Thinking about it now, it may actually be my favorite anime episode of all time. I'm just a sucker for strong direction I guess, and Someday is a treatise in direction.

Tanigawa wrote that specially for the anime because it wouldn't work in a book format but he clearly had Disappearance in mind when he did it

Endless 8 was written as a take down of Summer Episodes, and it did that very, very well. As part of the anime audience you are subjected to endless repeats of beach episodes, festival episodes and setting off fireworks. E8 drags your face into the screen the tells you that despite the fact the girls are different, you're watching the same thing over and over again.

And on top of that as
Said, it's not just preaching, it makes complete sense within the storyline itself. You're supposed to fell for Yuki and wonder why Kyon, like the audience and any other anime MC puts up with the stuff that's thrown with them instead of just pulling the plug.

>The point of E8 was to force the viewer to experience the same tedium that Yuki Nagato was forced to experience when trapped in some~15000 repititions of similar events. That's all it was.

And all it ever will be in total.

Yeah it tried to prove a certain point of how tedious it was in Nagato's point of view but covering 3/4 of the episodes in the whole season? Now that is NOT ever fucking worth it. The animosity it received from the watchers were well-deserved

Dropped haruhi after the 3rd time they looped.
Insulting, really.

>Endless 8 was written as a take down of Summer Episodes
Unless they've actually said that somewhere I think this is just you projecting.

>reading =/= projecting

Which makes it all the more crazy that it's in the first season. Almost as crazy as starting S1 with Adventures but putting Sigh at the end of S2.

Where have they said it then?

This is actually autism.

Yeah, Kyoani really showed their balls when they adapted Haruhi. Fuck I want S3 so bad.

I watched three episodes and then I got mad.

japanator.com/yamakan-didn-t-like-endless-eight-either-offers-apology-10607.phtml
>its so deep even the director thought it sucked

It's pretty apparent. The LNs were always a self-aware parody of tropes in Japanese young adult fiction. That's why Haruhi composes the SOS Brigade of those tropes, and explicitly states that she's doing so. Usually in a summer episode you get a cliche. It's a swimsuit episode, or it's a festival episode, or it's a part-time job episode, or it's a bug-catching / walking around in the outdoors episode. In E8 you get all of those in rapid-fire. They literally have a list of summer cliches they need to work through. Over and over again, forever. It's parody.

It's written into the episodes. Where did the creators of Lain outline exactly what you're supposed to feel about the anime?
And why does it matter

Too bad they sucked those balls back into their body with everything post Chuuni. I enjoyed shows like Amagi, Phantom World and especially Hibike, but just because they were good shows. They lacked the boldness that Kyoani had back then. It's sad to say the most daring anime of the season is Kiznaiver because it isn't as insane as Trigger's other works.