For those of you who haven't heard, an Italian surgeon has been planning a $16 million...

For those of you who haven't heard, an Italian surgeon has been planning a $16 million, 36 hour operation to successfully transplant a human head onto another body.

The volunteer was to be a Russian man with a bone disorder that has crippled his body, with the donor body coming from a brain dead patient. However, the lead surgeon has decided to instead use a Chinese donor.

He received immense amounts of backlash in the medical community in the West, and as a result, the surgery is to take place in China. The surgery is to take place in December of this year.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4624364/Man-undergo-head-transplant-gives-hope-surgery.html

cbsnews.com/news/russian-man-volunteers-for-first-human-head-transplant/

What are your thoughts on this? Especially from an ethical standpoint? Is this a crime against nature? The surgeon claims it has a 90% chance of failure, but if successful, what ramifications will this have for society and our concept of what constitutes a distinct "person?" Is it your body, or your mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BY55dg-bnRk
youtube.com/watch?v=NADEKHmwbXE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd prefer a robot body over a ching chang one.

I don't see what all the ethical fuss is about. It's like the Sorites paradox. If you replace someone's heart are they still the same person? Yes. Then replace their kidney? Yes. Why not when you replace their whole body?

>forever sit in wheelchair with normal dick
or
>get a chink body with a micropenis but can walk again

hmmmmm

funfact, this wouldnt be a head transplant, but a body transplant

Because the heart is not the seat on consciousness, it doesn't contain our emotions, memories, and personality.

Personally, I believe that transplanting a brain (or head in this case) is simply sick. This demented wop should be locked up just for suggesting this shit. It's a crime against nature of the highest degree. He's fucking Dr. Frankenstein

this really activates my armadillos

How so?

Kek

the concioussness sits in the head, so if you cut the head of and put it onto another body it will be for the living guy, the conciousness as if the body switched, not the head. so its a body transplant

Ethically its a disaster. We haven't even had successful whole body implants in animals, why the fuck are we moving to humans so quick. The second the head and body interact they'll attempt to reject each other.

I bet they've moved it to China simply to avoid any questions of ethics. I really doubt this dude will even wake up, and if he does he'll be in immense pain until he finally dies.

that's disgusting. who would even agree to have their head put on another body?

because the head is the most important part of the body, is not likely to be physically moved (as the replacement body would be), and is required for the new organs to function

really makes you think
cause a transplat is the part which gets switched
and the living patient gets a body, not a head

even if he survived the operation - extremely doubtful - and didn't die shortly after of a horrendous immune response - also doubtful - there is 0% chance that he'd actually be able to move. Obviously, if we could just stitch the thousands of nerves in the spinal cord together after having them severed, we'd be repairing paralyzed people long before we were transplanting heads and having them get up and walk around

This is a good thing, science is gonna learn a lot. He also succesfully did head transplant with dogs

This would be the first real step to being able to learn how to do such an operation. You are right and we will probably die and never walk, but the data we will obtain from it will help us learn how to fix nerves because obviously they will try.

what if it works for some reason?

/thread

Dumb idea. His head will reject that donor body. Its gotta be of the same race.

Someone who has nothing to lose.

This, if fixing nerves was easier we'd just do that.

This DOES have interesting ramifications though. I give it a 99% failure rate after 1 month, though in the short term we can keep his brain oxygenated and force a pulse and lung expansion.

if theres a 90% chance of failure isnt this just murder? why wouldnt they just do more experiments on mice or even apes first to try to perfect it?
This all just sounds like the guy that invented lobotomy all over again, some guy desperate for prestige ends up killing hundreds and not contributing anything to medicine.

The Italian surgeon claims that they'll be attaching the spinal cord using micro electric shocks to fuse the nerves together, and also some sort of medicine or gel or something that is supposed to allow them to communicate, idk.

Someone who thinks they have nothing left to lose, I guess.

Like I said, I personally think this is fucking sick and is one of the most twisted things a doctor could think up. Even if this shit is successful, that surgeon and the other 100 surgeons that will be needed for the operation should have their licenses revoked and be thrown in jail upon returning.

I mean the volunteer for this it means you hate your life and would almost rather be dead. But the psychological shock of waking up in someone else's body is NOT something that someone who is ALREADY mentally ill can cope with.

If the body's immune system doesn't kill the guy, he'll do it himself.

I fucking love her

I hope so much he succeeds but this will be my face the entire operation.

true

>successfully

The dogs died.

>Because the heart is not the seat on consciousness, it doesn't contain our emotions
it's just coincidence and there is no proof the heart feels love and all these thousands of years people were just wrong
>christian science

he makes Frankenchink

exactly.
don't be too jealous.

>crippling boneitis
>tiny benis

Tough call

Did you finish reading what I said? First of all, the donor body was going to be a Russian anyways, the surgery was just going to take place in China. But now they've decided to just use two Chinese people instead because they're disposable I guess

They have kept a dog´s head outside of it´s body and it still lived.

But he isn´t hurting noone who doesn´t know what they´re in for.

You are basically a brain and the body does its bidding.

They could just be trying to essentially hook his head up to a biological life support system, aka the donor body. It's a step into ethical gray areas and Terminal volunteers choosing risk over promise. I didn't read it, but it might not be quite intended to function 100%.

Sorry, I believe I made a mistake in my OP. I believe the surgeon stated he has a 90% chance of SUCCESS, although everyone else in the medical community seems to believe it's the other way around.

If the guy hypothetically had kids - who's DNA would they have? The head or the body? If it's the body - then it's a head transplant imo. I also legitimately have no fuckin idea

The people complaining about this remind me of the people complaining about Iceland women aborting babies with downs syndrome.

Will they livestream it?

They should livestream it...

They put them down after the experiment out of pity.

Whats the difference?

Yes, it IS coincidence. Heart fluttering, that falling nervous feeling, etc, is just points along the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system dance, with your frontal lobe providing context to interpret those feels.

What the fuck are you smoking? People associated the heart with emotion because when you're feeling emotional, your heart rate changes as a result of your BRAIN telling it things. People also didn't believe in bacteria for thousands of years but that shit changed really fast when we found out about them.

> Brain dead
Brain death is NOT real death. They're gonna harvest brainlets organs for the Russian elephant man.
youtube.com/watch?v=BY55dg-bnRk

>muh brain interprets the feels in muh heart
>the heart has no feels
pick one you fucking reject

why is there backlash for a chink body and not the russian, chinese people have no souls and are basically like blank slates to be used for experiments like this

i would say of the body, since the body is creating the sperm

Yeah, because they were fucking dying. There has NEVER been a successful head transplant of anything, at least not for more than a few days or hours, and most die within minutes.

They would have the bodies sperm, and thus the bodies dna.

>crippled
or
>tiny penis

its just a crazy gamble for funding and fame that might somehow work, lighten up guys, surgeons do this all the time

like the guy who made the world's first synthetic trachea, all bullshit, was literally just throwing in plastic covered with cells and hoping it somehow worked, but hey, it made him famous as fuck until all his patients died

well i guess it would be the body's dna i think, since the sperms aren't created in the head

>What are your thoughts on this?
i want to live in a cartoon

There is no way you can do a head transplant

How do you connect all the nerves correctly to the brain?
So that the person can actually move and feel stuff?
like wtf, there's no way

or is that not what they're aiming for?

i'm personally of the opinion the guy is a complete hack.

during his TED talk he likens the procedure to severe the spinal cord to cutting a fucking banana with a REALLY SHARP KNIFE so it "won't create lesions"

I've worked in neurorehabilitation and i can tell you got it absolutely does not work in such a manner. If you have ever seen what happens when a neuron is severed along its axons you would know unless you're doing the surgery with billions of nanomachines supporting the continued function of a severed axon those dendrites and axons shrivel up like a popped balloon. How the fuck does using some neurotrophin fix it instantly? We're still at the level where we don't even understand the mechanisms behind neuro-regeneration, how the fuck does this guy expects the surgery to work?

fucking italians i swear.

Let them test it on the mainlander bug men first, I'm all for it

underrated

When I die, I want to be placed in the freezer in my garage so I can be resurrected in 500 years and battle George Soro's when he rules Earth from the death star. Fuck all that head chopping shit.

>What are your thoughts on this?

It seems like everyone volunteered to do this and I see nothing wrong with it. If the two die during the operation it will be of benefit to science regardless and they will both be put out of their misery. If they succeed it could be amazing for people with these sorts of injuries.

>Especially from an ethical standpoint? Is this a crime against nature?

Nope.

> The surgeon claims it has a 90% chance of failure,

Probably a little bit higher than that.

> but if successful, what ramifications will this have for society and our concept of what constitutes a distinct "person?"

It's still not common knowledge what existence is, but it's not a mystery to philosophers, in any case existence is definitely not a body so it's simply not going to tackle that philosophical issue in any way. If it works you would simply have a mans using what was once another persons body. It's really pretty simple. It's like someone using another persons used shoes.

> Is it your body, or your mind?

If someone gives you their old car is it 'their' car or 'your' car? It's obviously your car. And I think the same would hold true of someone using another persons body.

just hotglue that shit together with powdered american foreskins
should work

Fuck off faggit. It's called practicing medicine for a reason. If both parties are consenting then why stop it. Go be a bitch and take virtue signaling elsewhere. The only argument I here from you is muh feelings. Which is
>not an argument.

Yea - that makes sense to me. So someone could argue it's about consciousness, but I would argue our purpose is to spread our DNA, thus I'm going with head transplant.

it is murder. The peak degeneracy threads are less bad than this tbqhfa m

Because he's a sick fuck looking for fame and money, that's why the entire medical community shunned him and he ran off to China to experiment on gooks

>there is no proof the heart feels love and all these thousands of years people were just wrong
yes, that's a very true statement

it was irony

The original organ that was supposed to show love was the liver.

Organleggers...call ARM!

>Nivenfags

The brain dead patient isn't consenting, is he?

Also, how about this for an actual argument? It will fail. There has NEVER been a successful head transplant of ANYTHING. These people WILL die, and this quack is knowingly sending them to their graves by promising a crippled man false hope so he can get shekels and a Nobel prize.

Fuck him, and fuck you too.

Interdasting observation into future problems. I suppose the guy could have his own sperm saved before hand.

they all look the same. how will anybody know if it's a different head or not?

I thought it was the Dick

Absolutely ridiculous and ludicrous procedure. There is no way in hell that someone would survive such a surgery and the scientific value such an experiment has is very low.

You should probably start with sewing hands and arms together, instead of with the head.

But think of the options. All those organ donor women can now look foreword to their bodies being spliced to the heads of mentally ill men so they can live out their sexual fantasies with them!

Your conciousness interprets the physiological reaction of the heart in response to automatic action of the brain and endocrine system (when hormonally appropriate).

In another sense, your right hand has to interpret what the left hand is doing, and is not in control of the left hand. Your concious is not in full control of your body, yet has to interpret things. You can, with effort, control many things (ie., i can hold my breath), but your frontal lobe and concious parts are largely not responsible for controlling it, it happens automatically (hence why you dont die in your sleep, since your breathing is controlled independent of your cognition).

Your heart feels important because it responds quickly and aggressively, so your attention is usually drawn to it, since sudden changes in pulse and blood pressure are extremely noticeable. But it only does it due to your brain or other automatic signals, not due to its own action.

>we need the consent of dead people
>something has never happened therefore never will and is not worth working towards
>a crippled man doesn't realize that getting his head cut off in an operation with 0% success rate might possibly lead to his death
maybe they should head transplant you so you're not such a dumbass

Ah yea - good point. But if he ended up banging a bunch of bitches with his new Chinese prisoner convicted murderer body - he'd end up having a bunch of psycho chink kids. Seems a bit problematic, lol.

I've seen that Russian experiment where they cut off a dogs head and kept the head alive for a temporary period of time by sticking all sorts of tubes in it's head. Pretty sick shit. I'm pretty sure in some dark corner of the earth they've tried this on people already.

Wake me up when they can transplant my brain into Taytay's body.

Im not an expert but how they want to fix the spinal corde when we cant even fix paralysis yet?

This is what he's going to be using to cut the spine.

Effectively it's medical murder, in the pursuit of science. I have know knowledge if this was done with apes first, but I guess chinese people are cheaper.

You could argue both sides get a benefit; the body gets another chance to spread DNA, while the brain gets a body that isnt going to die on it.

I'd rather die a white man than be turned into a chink.

TAY TAY

>90% chance of failure

>transplant body on terminally I'll patient with no quality of life
>morally wrong
>give hormones to 12 year olds and cut off fully functioning penis
>stunning and brave

>You could argue both sides get a benefit
Yep, and I would disagree either.

wouldn't**

This. Stop being a faggit for once in your life.

I've heard of this loser and been waiting since forever. But the shit in the link you posted from the first article says that he backed out. FUCK

If the Russian man gets his head put on a female body, is it still gay to fuck him?

Keked

Id have to agree, i hear they 'ahav a vary small penus yas vary small peeeenus'

American have a verrrry larggge penis, japanese people have a verrry small penis

youtube.com/watch?v=NADEKHmwbXE

brain death isn't death

we don't even understand how the brain works, jumping to a HUMAN head transplant without a single case of it working on ANIMALS is like trying to invent the Saturn V rocket right after the Wright Brothers created the airplane

the surgeon goes around claiming he estimates a 90% chance of success for the operation, gee he sure isn't misleading the donor at all is he

Go tip your fedora somewhere else you edgy retard.

>Tumblr will get thousands more gendertypes

So is it his kids or the bodies? Spoopy.

I'm just waiting for the MGS5 reveal tbqh