So why do people prefer the english names over the original?

So why do people prefer the english names over the original?

Because the original names just ain't Wright.

because they are the names everyone is familiar with

it's like calling goku jeff

The same reason people prefer to hear a show in dubs over subs. It's what they first had/are used to and associate with the characters. Lots of people played the games here in America and so they see him as Wright. It threw me off when they said his name and took me a second to realize that it wasn't the original.

It's the name i'm used to. Why would I call Pokemon by their original Japanese names? It would betray my childhood.

The Japanese names are juste shitty puns like the English ones anyway. Might as well choose the shitty puns we can understand.

nostalgia

Hello, everyone! My name is Dragon Isee, and with my assistant Evening Village (who loves burgers and who I met after her sister, Thousandfathoms Village, was killed), I investigate crimes and defend clients as a defense attorney! My rival is the prosecutor Clever Swordedge, who I was in primary school with (together with my first client, Youknow Forsure). He was mentored by Fromhell Demon, a famous prosecutor (who is now gone, but his legacy continues with his daughter, Dark Demon).

These days I've taken proteges myself, like Surprise Lawboy and Moon Heartnoise, and adopted a daughter, Seethrough. Life is swell here in Japanifornia.

It's because the names are puns, and puns entirely miss the mark unless (properly) translated. Your precious Nihon isn't unique in this regard, most names in Asterix are also translated in non-French releases.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia. We aren't native Japanese speakers, nor did we grow up in Japan. These puns are completely lost to an English speaking audience, so we might as well change them to the already localized names.

I do think they should have left the ramen as ramen, I'm sure the PW localizers are kicking themselves for making that change in the first place, since they didn't expect to have all this continuity

You mean Zero?

I see what he said there

Asterix anime when?

Come on, apollo. Eat your hamburgers.

Because crossovers are more fun.

Because Sup Forums hates everything Japanese.
Serious answer: because many of us have played the games and got used to English names.

>Kissanime

Who the hell is Naruhodo Rykuchi? He is Phoenix Wright, Nick for friends.

Well it is too weird seeing Manfred and Franziska as Nips rather than German.

>not watching from kissanime

Americans are triggered by non-Anglo names, it's a national form of autism.

Aren't them american in the jap version?

They're punny.

It's what the fans are used to. It's like calling Ash, Satoshi.

You realize every anime name is a pun to some degree, right? Do you just not watch any ani e not dubbed by 4kids? Is he called Monkey King or Son Goku to you?

Also the ENG names dont even carry over the puns in Japan. Takuya Uzai doesnt mean salmonella.

You're wright.

If anyone uses dub names it is a pretty good flag to ignore their opinion as a general rule.

Hello Dragon Isee, my name is Enduring Great Divine Being. Have you seen 89temples anywherr?

Same reason we call this guy "Ash" and not "Satoshi." It's the name familiar with.

And I know how weird it is since we usually throw a fit when they change names in anime. I still get triggered when I hear people talk about "Jimmy Kudo".

>defends Ash Catchem
>rages at Jimmy

Who is 'we'? I call him Satoshi

Maybe because those are the names 99% of people in this thread know since more than 10 years ago

While I can let the names slide, I can't get over the burgers. If it says sushi, it says sushi. Unless 4kids wants to imply there are no sushi restaurants in america.

Shut up and eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

You don't love that the country girl from an isolated village that wears traditional clothing and summons the spirits of the dead loves toku and hamburgers?

>Translating the names in Asterix
Burn in hell you piece of shit