Why is anime in such a shit state right now, and am I the only one who's noticed this?

Why is anime in such a shit state right now, and am I the only one who's noticed this?

I know, I know. I'm expecting a million "it's always been shit" replies, but this is way different. From 2003-2012 there were plenty of amazing, highly memorable shows that are still discussed even on Sup Forums today. Haruhi, TTGL, Code Geass, Toradora, Madoka, Working etc. Those shows where every new episode released would cause a shitstorm and fill the entire front page of Sup Forums with hype and discussion.

After 2012, however, almost NOTHING GOOD has come out. Almost everything has been a creatively bankrupt adaptation that's unfulfilling to watch at best and boring at worst. I see shitty ripoffs of SAO and OPM (both which were shit in their own right) fucking all over the place. The state of the industry is fucked. It's like anime are 22 minute long advertisements for shit now, none of them I've seen recently even bother to end the show properly and just assume people are gonna go read the manga. That used to be the exception rather than the norm.

The last anime I watched that's managed to hold my interest long enough for me to finish it was Ping Pong, and that was still 2 years ago and made by a fucking arthouse who doomed the show to relative obscurity by making all the characters look like abominations.

Pic related, what I'm doing with my spare time instead of watching anime.

Other urls found in this thread:

goboiano.com/original/3607-here%27s-how-money-is-actually-made-in-anime
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck off.

look into your heart, you know it to be true.

>After 2012, however, almost NOTHING GOOD has come out.

wew

Not at all, anime's doing fine.

>2003-2012
Most of the ones listed were from about 2008+. You're also comparing 9 years to 4.

>Haruhi, Toradora, Working
you have shit taste though.

shit taste confirmed

>who doomed the show to relative obscurity by making all the characters look like abominations.
Fuck off it's the same in the original work, faggot.

> Too much harem, echhi, and fujoshit shows.
> Too many shitty edgelord shows.
> Too many skinny beta male "nice" guy or over whiney edgy teen protagonists

>I know, I know. I'm expecting a million "it's always been shit" replies, but this is way different.

No it isn't. Kinda amazed how many nostalgia faggots we are getting after putting up with 80s and 90s nostalgiafags.

a.) Many of those old shows you listed would not be seen as that radical if they aired today, partially because they were trendsetters and we grew used to that standard of show.

b.) Plenty of good anime have been out since 2012. ping pong, shirobako, muromi, w- I see, this is a rec thread, and OP has been away from here since 2012.

c.) OP is a faggot

When you're old and gray, kids will be arguing online about how anime was great and a proud artform full of passion right up until they finished tenth grade in 2058, at which point it became trash full of rehashes and pandering due to whichever show was most popular that year.

>2003-2012

I can remember too many bullshit series from those times as well, you cherry picking bastard

>Haruhi
>TTGL
>Code Geass
>great

Also I like how 2012 is not recent enough so you moved "amazing era" up there,

Don't worry Trigger will save anime again soon

>Why is anime in such a shit state right now?

Otaku pandering. Same thing that ruined the Japanese video game industry.

In Japan anime is primarily focused on kids, then otaku, then a more mature audience, with plenty of trash. You are telling us that it took you a decade to realize this.

NIGGER YOU DUMB!

How could you, we have all these evangelion movies now

This thread is fucking shit. So I guess it doesn't matter if I shit it up some more.

I'm planning on watching Fist of the North Star. But there is so god damned much. Is there a list of some kind I could look into to find out the absolute best order to watch things or if there are any episodes I should just skip?

Any help would be appreciated.

kill yourself

Not only your opinion is shit but you also act like a fucking special snowflake who is the only one in the world with the intellect to realize that anime is shit.
Just fuck off.

>code gayass
>not great

Get the fuck out, you subhuman scum.

what are you talking about: Kill-la-Kill.

I hate to say it but I think your just getting tired of anime. It was new and fun at first but then just like everything else it gets boring.

To be honest I haven't been able to watch much besides some movies and OVAs lately. It's the seasonal shit that's just the same soulless bland commercials for things that the majority of the fanbase seems to get all worked up over that I just can't watch. It's really hard to find more than a few watchable series a year lately.

Why are the loli's cheeks red?

I think the point where I'm at is that I still appreciate the anime aesthetic but I just don't think I enjoy watching the compartmentalized 12 episode and done TV version of that aesthetic we get now. Unless there's at least 2 cour for something there's really just no reason for me to even bother and really I wonder why the industry does either beyond the obvious commercial angle.

But Umaru causes shitstorms even to this day

This
Stuff is still getting made that Sup Forums continues to talk about.
Also with 30+ shows coming out naturally not everyone is going to be watching the same one.

Most anime now are more corporatized and the goal is to promote the source material over taking risks and making original stuff. It was this way for a while but committees are putting more emphasis on it now especially as the western audience seems to have grown more infatuated with anime than Japan itself. The kid shows like SAO make tons of money in Japan and for the "pandering" shows, they understand it's not that hard to please Otaku so long as there is good fan service and watchable animation.

See

goboiano.com/original/3607-here%27s-how-money-is-actually-made-in-anime

Nice bait

They are 22 minute advertisements, but they always have been. Code Geass is probably the biggest advertisement pandering, infomercial you can get out there. Tiger and Bunny was also one of those.

As for advice, you seem like someone who enjoys stand alone "original" series. I recommend you take a break from anime, get out of the hell hole that is Sup Forums and try looking up any anime-original stuff made by a high budget studio, which probably happens 3-4 times a year now. There is still good stuff out there, I promise.

I would agree with you completely if you said that the fan-bases are getting worse. Much worse.

>Haruhi, TTGL, Code Geass, Toradora, Madoka, Working

I think what you have a problem with is not the shows themselves but actually the fan base. Which is understandable! Anime has probably the worst fan base when it comes to the lowest of the low.

Have you watched Erased, or the Iron Fortress show airing now? They're both pretty good, and don't let 1 cour shows turn you off that much. Sometimes less is more.

What is the big deal about that show on Sup Forums anyway? I watched it when it aired and completely forgot what even happens. Just remember this stupid Hiki hamster sister. Why do you guys care so much to even have shit storms in the first place?

>90s kids who didn't watch anything outside Toonami
>People who hasn't watch anything pre-90s
>Sup Forums posters
>Sup Forums toonami posters
>Bait Central
>OP likes sucking dick

Does this summarize this whole thread?

You can always re-watch the "good" shows you liked or try stuff from pre-2003? There's some good stuff in the early 2000's and 90's if you're okay with watching older looking animation.

Elaborate?

I doubt it. Disney and Netflix will have bought every major Anime studio in Japan by 2058. What's worse is most of you guys will be fine with that, since you think they'll "save" the industry.

>Haruhi, TTGL, Code Geass, Toradora, Madoka, Working

Found your problem.

OP, I bet you suck a lot of dicks in your spare time.

>its a faggot tries to fit in by shitting on the modern anime industry thread

Regardless of the OP I think these are primary issues:

An ingrained status quo, little risk taken

Overabundance of simplistic light novel and visual novel adaptions

Anime aimed at too few demographics, which creates an unfortunate cycle where the money isn't there to aim for them and in turn these demographics aren't invested or interested. Children and young adults obsessed with cute/attractive characters end up being the primary targets and are overwhelmingly pandered to.

I'd always be the first to point out that objectively anime is doing better than ever, but OP does have a point. Over the last half decade we've been flooded by shitty generic LN adaptation.

There are a few good LN adaptations, but they drown in a sea of shit.

What OPM ripoffs are you talking about?