Tanks or Ships

Tanks or Ships

Mediocre edgeshit or genuinely refreshing use of a SoL?
Let's see, yup, the latter. No wonder one is doing mediocre like itself, and the other is best seller.

ships all the way. its sad that i can name all of the IJN Japanese fleet. and I am learning more about tanks as we speak

you can't drift ships

>implying

I choose planes.

>Brave Witches
At least choose something not-shit of the franchise.

You got it primary-kun.

Airplanes!

Tanks between your image. Now, if we had a good show based on ships...

Haifuri is unironically better.

Maybe so far, but they need to hurry up and kill someone or at least do something shocking.

GuP schools are basically aircraft carriers so it depends if those aircraft carriers have any actual aircraft left. If they do, they could probably sink all the Haifuri fleets since airplanes don't seem to exist in that setting so they're completely unprepared for them. If not, the Haifuris sink all their schools easily.

I'm not going to make a decision until Haifuri finishes season 1 and the GuP movie gets subbed.

A lot closer, I think... Personally, I prefer GuP because the tanks work a lot closer to real life in it. I acknowledge that Arpeggio has a bit more depth (no pun intended) to it, though.

Ships of course op

Whatever floats your boat

I doubt OP was asking which one would win in a fight, but it makes you wonder how thick would the hull of a seven and a fucking half kilometer long ship would be.

more powerful

>it has to be grimdark

GuP is a lot better. I've been trying to like Haifuri but it's honestly not good.

There's nowhere else it can go. They're dealing with live ammo and shit, it's not like GuP where it was all just a tournament.

If someone is going to die, it's going to be Rin

I think GuP is the far better animu.

Should be Moka.

Ships for life.
Panzer was kinda shitty.

The Yamato had 410mm side armor, and a length of 263m. If you apply the square-cube law when scaling up, you get over 62m of steel. Or maybe 333m, I'm not sure on the proper application here.

CARLOS

needs more euro beat

Is GuP worth watching if I like Haifuri and Strike Witches?

I like ships more than tanks, but Hai Furi is nowhere near as good as GuP, which disappoints me deeply

GuP has it's own ships, so I choose that to get both.

Yes user, we'll never invite you to the super secret /ak/ bunker if you don't.

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't enjoy GuP if you liked those

Haifuri needs to figure out where it wants to go. Right now the plot feels aimless.

We need to go back

still waiting for a mecha musume show that does not sucks shit.

Ships. I don't feel as strongly about licking tank girls clean after they've used the toilet.

How could they do that?

>people that developed mind control rats take over Japan and hunt down the Harekaze, the only ship not infected

Haifuri is basically Aniplex trying to cash in on GuPs popularity without knowing what made it successful in the first place. They seem to think its entirely Yoshida and Suzuki and a super large cast. It also has their usual excessive marketing and trumpeting

>GuP
>tournament arc
>Haifuri
>serious arc

Tanks

Better question, Ship-girls or... Hang on, why no moe anthropomorphized tanks?

We need to rectify this immediately!

Most important question: is bust size proportional to calibur, or armor thickness?[/spooiler]

Thinking about it, bust size should obviously be proportional to gun caliber... The ratio of gun caliber to armor thickness could determine how much clothes they're wearing. (I imagine this will make Hellcat-chan rather popular...)

>negligent discharge
Why is that Pz68 cosplaying as a Sherman?

>Wir sind aus Munition heraus

Has there been a cute girl show about airplanes?

What if there was a show about flight attendants and their shenanigans flying all over the world?

Ships are cooler, but GuP is clearly the better anime.

Ships

>only one ship

Don't recognize the left and Garupan kinda sucks. Can't I choose airplanes?

Why is Girls und Panzer so ridiculously successful?

Because it's cute girls driving Tanks.

Because it's well directed and has appealing characters and tank action.

Panzer vor

Aside from the hype and the tank noises?
It has a very large all female cast, see idolshit or cancercolle. It's a neat trick that retains the waifufags and keeps them interested while you put out more merch for them to consume.
it's really good though

Minus the tank action, there are other shows that fit the bill for the other two qualities yet don't sell so much.

Well maybe they should have put tanks in those shows.

>all these Sup Forumsnons shitting on GuP
This is just backlash for the chain generals, isn't it?

>tfw no show about cute girls flying fighter planes
Strike witches does not count.

He's got you there, user.

>Minus the tank action
"Girls und" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

It's because of the tanks, ya goof. GuP is novel, and it strikes just the right balance of absurdity, sincerity, and fuckin TANKS.

So is Haifuri not as good because tanks > boats or because the directing is worse?

haifuri has a worse captain

The reason it's not as good is because of the garbage writing so far.

Haifuri suffers from a lack of direction. It really started to be noticeable around episode 4. There's also how ridiculously absurd the battles are.

>Shima shoots a bullet out of midair

Shit writing, it doesn't matter if it's boats or tanks, if the writing's good enough you can make anything hype
>cute girls operating forklifts
fund it

>cute girls operating forklifts
>all girl anime version of Gabelstaplerfahrer Klaus

Would watch

I've got one that's got girls flying light mechas; unfortunately the writers were very lazy.

Haifuri wants to be more serious but it isn't actually. The tone feels really inconsistent it's unclear what sort of show they are trying to make. GuP has a ridiculous premise but carriers it well with internal consistency, it's very clearly a sports anime with tanks.

I prefer Haifuri, but I never gave a fuck about realism or plot in the first place. In fact, I'm glad it didn't try to be gritty or serious at all.

Yes, and its well deserved in my opinion.
The /ak/ general is just pure fucking cancer, which is a shame, since the show is quite decent.

But I want proper planes.

Area 88.
Sento Yosei Yukikaze.
Macross Zero.

>There's also how ridiculously absurd the battles are.
It's an anime about high school girls operating warships. If you're expecting anything like absolute realism, you're doing it wrong.

It's a couple of reasons, really. The plot of GuP was incredibly simple and focused. It was just a cookie-cutter sports tournament anime. This kept things simple and also heightened the gag. Haifuri has hypnosis hamsters, which are pretty absurd, but also super weird and out of place. The whole story has just been sort of a mess.

The character work is pretty strong though. I'd argue that the characters in Haifuri are a little more interesting that GuP. In GuP most of the characters only exist for the gag. All of their traits are setup as ridiculous in juxtaposition to the subject matter of tank warfare. Which again, means that GuP is more tight to the premise. The joke works better. In Haifuri, the joke isn't as tight, but you've got a lot of really engaging characters. I like what they're doing with the captain, and a lot of the peripheral girls like lookout-chan, sonar-chan, engineer-chan, and doctor-chan are really great. And the inevitable power struggle between the captain and vice captain spurred on by brunette bitch will surely be entertaining.

But all in all, GuP better serves its premise. Everything about GuP is assembled to pile on top of this weird joke, while at the same time being a respectable sports tournament anime with badass tank battles. It's just more cohesive in this way, it forms a more successful whole.

It could be better though. GuP did a mix of Gimmicky stunts and strategy while the boat show is just "We can do this thing probably.... WE DID IT"

Also I forgot to mention that this guy is fucking right, the whole shooting the bullet out of the air thing was retarded.

modern jets a shit

This, and I'm already preemptively upset that Haifuri is bound to become part of /ak/ once the show is over.

Haifuri got into the battles right away but then it hasn't really had any for the past few episodes. Sort of reverse from GuP. If the SOL had come first I wonder if the first impression of the show would have changed our expectations.

Indubitably. I won't be satisfied unless it's Porco Rosso with moe girls.

PANZOR VOR or TORIKAJI IPPAI

I love Hai-Furi, but GuP is the objectively better show. Boats might not be over yet, so there's possibility of getting better, but so far it's only strayed further from GuP. That's not to say it's a bad show. It's a good complement to cute girls doing cute military things, so now we only need planes to complete the triad.

And then Girls und Combat Infantry!

yall are faggots who can't appreciate the pure beauty of a giant air breathing, JP-8 sucking, fiery monster.

Isn't that Sora no Woto?

GuP never really made me laugh out loud aside from the zoom out carrier reveal but it was still pretty funny in an amusing way. I haven't felt any of that type of humor at all in Haifuri. It has comedy bits but they're sort of generic instead of over-the-top ridiculous.

The joke minor characters in GuP, when it has such a huge cast, make them memorable at least. I can't tell most of the Harekaze crew apart even if their interactions do feel more natural. But GuP also had groups of girls amalgamated into basically a single entity, like the volleyball club are all the same girl, same for the freshmen.

Jets in anime always devolve into itano circus bullshit. Props or go home.

Overall, Girls und Panzer might be a better series. I'll reserve judgement until HaiFuri is finished and I can judge it as a whole, though.

With that said, I think HaiFuri is overall doing more interesting things with its plot. GuP was, as you say, a cookie-cutter sports tournament anime. This has its pluses, since there's familiar elements to make the audience comfortable along with the strange premise, and it's a well-used genre, so it's easy to build on other examples. But that also does make it a bit predictable.

On the other hand, things are considerably less clear with HaiFuri. A good chunk of why I'm watching is to see where the hell they're going with the mind control rats thing. Which may be a ridiculous thing, but within the scope of ridiculous I'm willing to accept in a show about high school girls crewing largely automated warships. Once It's done and we know what's going on, will I be able to go back and re-watch it and still enjoy it? Time will tell.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this for what it is, rather than leap to conclusions about whether or not it's better than another show with a kind of similar premise.

Incidentally, I think Sora no Woto is a closer comparison to make with HaiFuri than Girls und Panzer is.

The way they worked the realism magic in GuP was spot on.

You have shells and small arms fire flying around, tanks getting hit, catching fire and flipping over and nobody every getting hurt, despite a grand total of ONE character wearing an actual helmet. You have tanks drifting, speeding and cornering at speed 2-3 times faster than what they did in real life. You get turrets traversing at dubious speed, a loli loading shells heavier than herself and a tracks repairing faster than an f1 pit crew on crack.
What they didn't hold back on concerning realism was exactly the kind of stuff that the average tank autist watching this would gush over. The track and engine noises, the little bits of dust kicking off the hull when the gun fires. That crisp sound the casing makes as it falls into its basket. Miho opening a vent in the roof after the gun fires to let the smoke out .That grinding clutch noise when the Maus' turret jams into the building. How the tanks that can neutral turn do so but the pz IV turns with the brakes. Little details

that's because animators are still stuck in that infuriating WW2 mindset that all combat must take place within arm's length.

TORIKAJI IPPAI is more fun to say.

They're literally an (undersized) tank platoon, user. They were simply dismounted for most of the series while Takemikazuchi-chan was under repair, but they conducted their big combat scene in a tank. They actually have specialized armor roles (driver, gunner, commander, signalman/radio operator).

Filicia's old unit was also an armored unit.

>not appreciating the beauty of a BF109

I'm sure shooting missiles from kilometers away will make for intersting combat.

>Haifuri has hypnosis hamsters, which are pretty absurd, but also super weird and out of place. The whole story has just been sort of a mess.
What I really don't get is, who gives a shit?
I'm being serious here, the plot is just there as an excuse to have cute girls in ships, you're watching it knowing this, so why do you expect the creators to pretend there's anything serious to it? If anything, being ridiculous adds to the fun. How would you even make a believable story about high school girls in live naval battles?
I guess it could be disappointing for /k/ fags expecting some hot WW2 ship on ship action, but we all know that'd actually be boring as all hell.

I prefer Haifuri's character designs compared to GuP's.
Who says I didn't Hawker Seafury is better by the way

Are you all serious?
You can make anything exciting if there's competent direction involved.