Re:Zero

The show is getting better but it really needs to address some things.

>Who is Subaru?
I don’t recall the show telling me anything other than he’s a gamer from the real world. That’s literally it. I could replace him with some homeless guy and the story would be the same.
If you don't want him to be a blank self-insert, you have to tell me who he is. Say he lost his family in an earthquake and that’s why he cares so much about the people he interacts with in this world. Otherwise he's just another character who heroines love because he's "kind".

>How Is This Satire?
Some people have been saying that the author hates LNs and that Re:Zero is supposed to be his deconstruction. But it's not really that good at it.
First, few of these tropes are exclusive to LNs. “Trapped in a fantasy world” and “time loops” can be found from Chronicles of Narnia to Tom Cruise's newest scifi film.
Second, being edgy with your tropes for the sake of shock value is older than Evangelion, and mainstream is becoming edgier anyway.
Third, meta-humor is a big problem with WNs but gets played straight. Most conversations revolve around pointing out how genre-aware the protagonist is about everything, or else it just turns into tsukkomi style pointing everything out.

>Why Would Anyone Want To Save These Maids?
Subaru has only known them for nine days, which is barely enough to form an attachment that can survive attempted murder.
The maids have only been horrible to him, and murder is not a reasonable response to a suspicion regarding a vague threat that has yet to be clarified. Killing someone for smelling funny is considered a hate crime in most countries.
Subaru, even with the time loops, has only known for about nine days. There comes a point when you push a man’s goodwill too far and you start to think he’s just mad for continuing to hold on. If the writer killed Emilia instead at least I would have bought Subaru caring for her considering his interactions with her were romantic.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/a/thread/141295119/#141298073
ncode.syosetu.com/n2267be/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But Subaru has crippling depression so his actions are justified.

Reminder that we get 3 weeks no ep because of fucking tennis

>I could replace him with some homeless guy and the story would be the same.
No it wouldn't.
You are ignoring large quantities of characterization because it smells of "nice"ness to you.

>>How Is This Satire?
>deconstruction.
Satire and deconstruction are not the same thing. The fact that it subverts tropes and pokes fun at them makes it a satire. The fact that most anime in this genre do it means that this characteristic is nothing special to be pointed out.

>Subaru has only known them for nine days, which is barely enough to form an attachment that can survive attempted murder.
If you say so.

> Killing someone for smelling funny is considered a hate crime in most countries.
But that wasn't the point.

Why are the drills so bouncy? Hair doesn't work like that.

He has daddy issues OP so anything he does gets a free pass

>characterization because it smells of "nice"ness to you
Niceness and boke is no longer acceptable characterization when every MC is a nice boke.

Why did Emilia tell Subaru her name was Satella the first time around?

Because that was probably Satella

All of this has been explained by several other anons countless times, so I'm just gonna call b8.

>Subaru has only known them for nine days, which is barely enough to form an attachment that can survive attempted murder.
The maids have only been horrible to him, and murder is not a reasonable response to a suspicion regarding a vague threat that has yet to be clarified. Killing someone for smelling funny is considered a hate crime in most countries.
Subaru, even with the time loops, has only known for about nine days. There comes a point when you push a man’s goodwill too far and you start to think he’s just mad for continuing to hold on. If the writer killed Emilia instead at least I would have bought Subaru caring for her considering his interactions with her were romantic.

From what I see you're calling Subaru an idiot and calling this bad writing while also being unable to do a simple math problem that an 8 year old can do.

4 loops for 4 days. Considering that the 4th loop was almost 5 full days, he's been at the mansion for nearly 17 days. I won't tell you anything else since it's no use to reason with idiots.

I hope this doesn't become another copypasta.
>I don’t recall the show telling me anything other than he’s a gamer from the real world.
From what I hear, you learn more later. My guess is that his job is basically to look and act like any other Otaku NEET comedic protagonist, at least in the beginning. From his actions, we can discern that he's a desperate and clingy loser with no real self-esteem.

He grows attached to some random girl who he just met after she was nice to him for a day or so, to the point where he's willing to sacrifice himself for her. This might be typical for any anime protagonist, but the situation with the maids just adds additional context. That level of sacrifice for strangers, some who only pretended to be nice, isn't exactly the best sign of a healthy mind.

I wouldn't be surprised if Subaru was already a bit suicidal at the start, but too scared to actually go through with that sort of thing. It's a deconstruction in part because we can see that this happy-go-lucky, self-sacrificing, and forgiving protagonist is actually just a total mess underneath his smile. He isn't someone who -anyone- should ever want to be like.

As for why the heroine likes him, I get the feeling that it's less because Subaru is kind and more because Emilia is also a lonely naive idiot herself. It's more because she's too nice than because he is.

are the break times worth watching?

It's not like they're long or anything.

watching them would still take time which I could use to shitpost

We'll probably find out more about who Subaru is after we find out why Satella is so obsessively in love with him.

Satella is Subaru and Emilia's child.
Plus it's the track suit.

is Re:Zero reall good or just another shitposting target?

Why are making Re:Zero threads every FIVE hours?

It's alright, but there's a lot more shitposting here than we ever really needed. Also, spoilers got released way too early, which makes it harder for me to judge the story from where it's currently at in the anime.

Depends what you consider real good.
It's entertaining if you attention span isn't 5 minutes.

I wonder more why she said it to a random guy when it's apparently such a taboo name.

I wouldn't be surprised if the track suit gets ruined in the last arc as one last FUCK YOU to the poor kid.
Or as the last bit of his care for Earth is removed.

Either she was just testing his ignorance, trying to scare him off, or she was actually being Satella in that timeline.

Then someone just has to learn how to make a new one, so that tracksuits can always be associated as the garb of the Witch King and his foul armies.

It's funny that this show is mocked for having no subtlety yet people fail to grasp the nuances of Subaru's character.

Watch breaktimes in a small window while shitposting.

Honestly I'm starting to doubt the witch king ending now that I'm caught up with shit, as it seems Subaru's going down the sage path by the looks of things.
Plus tack that on that he's actively gunning for the Gluttony fucks so he can get his second Waifu back, it seems more likely that he'll end up the Sage.
And due to how the setting works they'd need all three of the Sage, Dragon, and Sword Saint to free our horrible hitler witch, with AT BEST two agents of the three, Satella ain't getting out anytime soon.
Unless Reinhardt is actually the Pride apostle/bishop, I suppose.

>Unless Reinhardt is the pride apostle
WAIT A FUCKING SECOND

So how long is the show supposed to be? 24 episodes?

It has a mix of some likeable characters, but some shitty writing mixed in. Then you have three camps with this series....

1. The animeonlyfags that haven't (and probably won't ever) bother with the LN/WN/whatever. They judge the series solely on what they've watched and not what's going to happen according to what someone else tells them.

2. LN/WN/whateverfags that are way ahead of everyone else. Like to argue with animeonlyfags about events that haven't even occurred in the anime yet. Will defend their series to the death, regardless of how contrived the writing becomes.

3. People that read actual literature and are triggered hard by the writing. This group is often comprised of crossboarders and are new to anime, so they have no investment or attachment in the series or the characters. Often give the most objective-based criticisms.

fuck are you talking about.

I don't think "Witch King" is meant to be taken so literally as a specific "path". He just needs to be the husbando of the "Witch Queen" to earn that title, and maybe have the powers to back that up. If that technically makes him a "Sage" then so be it.

We don't know much about Subaru, but they pointed out that he doesn't go outside much. It's safe to assume that he doesn't have that many friends.
>killing someone for smelling funny is considered a hate crime in most countries
It wasn't just that
The smell made them suspicious
It means he has some tie to the witch
Reading one of the threads I saw a spoiler that said something like Rem and Ram work as maids for the Clown because something happened involving the witch in their past that left them homeless. I don't know if that is true, but it gives Rem a good reason to go to try and question Barusu on her own. Her plan in the forest, which was shown better in the manga, was to injure him then heal him continuously to interrogate him. She wanted to know if he actually had serious connections to the witch that had caused her and her sister so much grief. Another spoiler I saw was Subaru is caught by the witch's cult at some point and is brutally tortured for a while. Rem and Ram might have either been tortured or witnessed someone getting tortured before they worked for Mr. Clown. Which made Ram empathetic. That's why at the start of ep 7 Ram killed Subaru. She didn't want to see someone suffer like that. Rem didn't care. That's why she said her sister was "too kind"
Subaru latches on to people easily since he doesn't have a lot of people in his life, and he sees that the Maids didn't wanted to kill him out of pure malice, except for when Ram thought that he killed Rem. They taught him useful skills, which as a NEET he probably didn't have many of. He probably also realized that the curse was meant for him, but his cowardice of hiding in the library caused Rem to die.
Not only did he want to save his friend, but he also felt her death was on his hands.

>It wasn't just that
>The smell made them suspicious
>It means he has some tie to the witch

He's aware of that you dingus. What he was implying is how absurd it is from a writing point of view, especially since they've explained very little about this "Witch of Envy" so far in the show.

The smell of the great bait of envy reeks in this thread

Is the correct name the Witch of Envy or the Witch of Jealousy? Envy and jealousy are not the same thing.

You can't be serious.

It's the Seven Sins, so I'd say it's Envy.
Sometimes things happen before we understand why.

>The show is getting better but it really needs to address some things.
It will, be patient you literal autist.

#2 is basically every shitty LN adaptation, and it's exponentially worse when the series becomes popular like this one.

>The maids have only been horrible to him
What? Except for the murder thing they're usually pretty good to him.

It's bait and this is the bait thread. If you're posting in it you are bad and should feel bad.

I feel bad

They were playing him like a damn fiddle, Rem makes it clear they never trusted him.

>Why don't we know everything about the story and motives of the characters from the beginning?

>Same retarded question posted on animesuki with the exact same words

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE YOU FUCKING SHITTER AND NEVER COME BACK.

ALSO IS FUCKING WITH OF ENVY YOU RETARD.

At least you were courteous enough to be this salty in your own thread.

They never trusted him, but they still had genuine moments with him and at the very least enjoyed his company. They even held his hand while he was having nightmares. That goes beyond pretending.

> Shitty writing
We always hear this but the shitposters don't know how to elaborate. The LN readers have to spell everything out until there is a stalemate. And you know what? The shitposters end up sounding stupid 70% of the time because of their broken sentences.

Contrived is the new forced. Everything is contrived.

I want to see drill loli cry over subaru's corpse.

What the fuck is your agenda dude? Are you purposefully trying to piss off WNfags?

>deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
I'm sorry, you make it sound as if there is something coming out of nothing. The summoned to another world is one thing. The respawn is the second. The scent is the third. And guess what? It was all done by the same person with reasons unknown but we haven't learned yet. At least this series has reasons. Some of them get answered. And you don't seem to understand how "contrived" really is.

See
boards.fireden.net/a/thread/141295119/#141298073

We've already had this chat. The author has a well written series that's why alot of people like it.

>deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously
It's almost as if stories aren't actually real life, and all the events in them happen because someone planned them to happen that way. And exactly, it has reasons. Are the reasons not good enough? Why are they not good enough? Please explain.

Is this another shitposting thread? We don't even need another thread till the next episode. Come the fuck on people, I'm tired of posting the same shit over and over again. Stop trying to rile up the WNfags.

I remember that thread, shitposters were trying to go full damage control after that.

>3 weeks without eps because of tennis
Thanks Sup Forums

Every time someone points out a flaw or asks a valid question, LNfags will just make shit up or attempt to justify an author's bullshit. This is not exclusive to this series. For re:zero, the explanation for everything is always "Subaru has crippling depression" or "MC does what Satella wants him to".

That's actually vague as shit and explains nothing, and that's intended, because the author can basically write whatever he wants (even if its unbelieveable edgy trash) and he can fall back on "MC does what Satella wants him to". That's why it's shitty writing, because the explanation behind Subaru's ridiculous motives/actions requires yet another explanation.

This show is garbage and you should feel bad for liking it

Ridiculous explanation? Most of the stuff has been literally ripped of the WN.

your favorite anime is shit

Can we have another thread like that? I want physics bro to come back. He was a chill dude.

My favorite anime is Toradora

I like Toradora, but you sir don't know a good series even if it hit you in the face. You probably don't know why Toradora even clicks

I have a lot of reasons to think that re:zero isn't a good show.

>7/25 episodes aired

Nobody is making shit up user. Everything has ripped off the WN series, you have 430+ chapters worth of stuff us WNfags to sift through to counter argue against other anons.

Why is it a bad explanation? I mean I really don't get it. Depression isn't an "excuse" it's just a character motivation.

an implied one at best, if he doesn't bother explaining it and only hinting at it with this very vague behavior than fuck that

really isn't it just another im in a different world and there's videogame mechanics

i mean, he literally goes gameover and reloads froma checkpoint

He talks about it in great detail later in the story. Sorry the anime didn't come with extensive character bios before episode one.

It's different because Subaru's fucked. It's like if Homura had to die every time to start a new time loop, and then after finally saving Madoka after 500 loops of despair there's some other shit she has to do, again and again forever.

I-It's different because the characters are stereotypicals and there's blood,user!

Nobody is arguing against that, that's why there are alot of people saying is like Dark Souls or whatever. But to say its just another generic X is no differentiation and is ununique, well that's where alot of WNfag would defend it.

I assume getting too indepth would be a pain in the ass. Who cares if Subaru has crippling depression? We learn what he's like by watching him and we're supposed to put things together as we go on.

Subaru is an idiot who acts a lot more cheerful than he actually is and is willing to suffer and risk his life for people who he has little reason to like. He grows way too attached to people for the amount of interaction he actually has with them. These are all accurate observations. His actions are not those of a reasonable person, which implies that's largely because he isn't a reasonable person.

He's the sort of lonely and desperate clingy guy who fell in love with a girl in one day because she was nice to him.
That's what I assumed. It's something that's supposed to be revealed more as we go through.

I always hate this, sorry that the most common trait is living in a different world, while having modern benefit's. On that note, how do you do a series that's an alternate world while also not using that cliche that it's a video game world or fantasy world.

The fact that at least it isn't harem and his only power is savescumming - at least so far - is already a huge improvement to me.

Meant to quote

Well if fantastical elements aren't allowed, it just has to be a "real" world with no magic shit. Time travel to distant future?

Well for one it's like the monkey's paw of MMO tropes. Such as:

>Being the chosen one
>Fighing enemies
>Getting powers

All of that fun stuff that MC gets in some way shape or form but in a way he never expected to get it and wanted to have happen to him. Now have that, then consider that this series is made by a sadist. Not also take into consideration that the author himself hates self-inserts, OP MC's, and wish-fulfillment.

Subaru has thus far demonstrated few of the ICD-10's ten agreed symptoms of depression.

>Persistent low mood
>Anhedonia
>Fatigue
>Insomnia
>Poor concentration
>Poor appetite
>Inappropriate feelings of guilt
>Psychomotor retardation or agitation
>Low self confidence
>Suicidal thoughts or acts

Fewer than four symptoms is not considered depression.
Mild depression is defined as having four symptoms, moderate depression as five to six symptoms, and severe depression as having seven or more symptoms, every day for a month or more.

How is what we have seen Subaru demonstrate in any way approaching crippling depression? If anything, he's just being emo.

>hasn't watched episode 7
dude, he fucking full on went depressed, holy fuck how can you not see that, he checked half easily in the first half, and the rest towards the end.

>Low self confidence

Well we have three at least.

No one means literal DSM depression, we're not psychiatrists trying to diagnose him with shit. It's just shorter than saying "deeply unhappy and kind of fucked in the head due to having a shit life".

>symptoms should be present for a month or more and every symptom should be present for most of every day

>Being the main villain's chosen one
>Fighting raidboss-tier level enemies only
>Getting powers at the payment of losing everything you hold dear

Subaru never wanted any of this

The the manga any good? Or are people reading the LN?

WN is the farthest along with the plot.

>Inappropriate feelings of guild
Check.
He always blames himself for shit that could be prevented

>persistent low mood
Check.
Kid HATES himself and only puts up a happy front

See episode 7

>Fatigue
Not physical, but his mental fatigue is so great he just spent four days sitting in bed feeling like all he does is fuck things up
Plus he gets so mentally strained in the next arc he ends up a gibbering mess who can't even think straight

>Low self confidence
CHECK

>Poor appetite
Shown in the novels for the events of episode 7. He doesn't eat much at all for all four days of that loop

Checks out if you ask me senpai

Either way, Subaru's actions are always driven by vague shit. It leaves the author a lot of room to improvise where he wants to go, but it raises a lot of questions for good reason. I've read through these cancerous threads, and even WN readers don't know Satella's reasons for controlling the MC beyond "she loves him" or "she is insane". The author is basically inserted into Satella, and he's making him go through edgy shit all the time for the sake of muh suffering. Feels forced as fuck, kind of like the antagonist in kokoro connect.

>Persistent low mood
>Fatigue
>Poor appetite
>Psychomotor retardation or agitation
>Low self confidence

He already has these.

From the beginning, it's pretty obvious that it's meant to be a twist on that formula. The only videogame mechanics are the checkpoints. The LN actually describes the magic as looking rather uglier and more "real" than Subaru was expecting.

The story also presents a twist on the idea of him being the Chosen One, because that's exactly what he is. The twist is that it's in one of the worst possible ways, since he wasn't chosen by anything benevolent. Sure, he gets a special power no one else has and makes him unkillable to anyone else for all practical purposes, but the drawbacks are taken very seriously.

Fuck I can't find it. Mind sourcing me?

People have literally spoiled the exact specifics of why Subaru is the way he is several times in these threads. And we don't know a whole lot about Satella's motivations and who she is because that's almost certainly going to be one of the biggest reveals in the story you retard.

Only if you can read moon

ncode.syosetu.com/n2267be/

By arc 3 he has all 10 of these. Then you find out he has all 10 of those consistently since the first arc.

>symptoms should be present for a month or more and every symptom should be present for most of every day

> Anhedonia
He wasn't feeling no pleasure from anything.
> Insomnia
Pic related.
> Can't eat.
He wasn't eating from what I know in that depression phase. In fact, the anime glanced over it.
> Agitation
Look at pic related again.

we are only 7 episodes in, just fucking wait till episode 25 than give your stamp of shit bait