Joker Game Thread

started watching it expecting
> muh nippon stronk
and I was pleasantly surprised

It's not as nationalist as I thought it would be, although they do blatantly ignore Japanese warcrimes while still pointing the finger at Germany as the bad guys.

> inb4 Sup Forums
lets leave that bullshit out of it and just talk about a decent spy thriller anime

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/sujdsd.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah it's much better than some of the American military propaganda movies that completely ignore their war crimes while pointing the finger at the brown people in the middle east and Russia that Hollywood shits out regularly.

It's really fun. Shame it's blundering everywhere.

why do you say its blundering?

I bet you think that GATE is a completely unbiased and fair portrayal of the international community as well

By Sup Forums standards I mean. Hardly any threads and low downloads on nyaa

This is now a dubs thread and everyone who doesn't post with dubs is wrong, even me potentially.

>although they do blatantly ignore Japanese warcrimes
Did they? Where specificly in the show did that happen?

Why do you give a shit if it's nationalistic or not?
>decent spy thriller
It's a pretty shitty thriller really. Far too much time laboriously explaining their keikaku at the end of each episode, and almost no tension. Plus bullshit like "bonk on the head amnesia".

confirmed

thats shitty

I think the art direction and animation in this show are great

the story is good too, and the scenarios the characters are placed in are fascinating

I'm getting sick of moe
> inb4 heresy
the over saturation of moeshit is killing anime and the less attention people pay to shows that could potentially give life to anime, like this one, the closer anime comes to destroying itself

the episode where they were in shanghai

they didnt gloss over a specific act, more a general history

the whole situation with the rape of nanking happened in 1937 when this takes place

I just find it a bit two-faced to portray themselves as this righteous force while portraying germany as evil while saying theyre allied.

its like bourne, but with 8 japanese bournes

>they didnt gloss over a specific act
They aren't blatantly ignoring anything then, this isn't an objective history lesson about the war but rather a thriller about a fictional spy agency.
>to portray themselves as this righteous force
Again, did they? Where specificly did this happen?
The only thing I can see is the show portraying the specific spy agency and its spies as being way too good at their job, being above other nations' spy agencies and the traditional japanese military (that's par for the course, who the hell watches spy fiction to see spies being shitty at their jobs?).

>watch anime
>minding
>war """crime"""

>shanghai
You mean the episode about a Japanese commander abusing his power over occupied China? That's what you consider potraying Japan as righteous?

Also the entirety of their "portraying Germany as evil" has consisted of some soldiers suppressing French resistance.

>I think the art direction and animation in this show are great
lol

>implying that anime should be historically correct.
It's just anime about spies, not the fucking documental film.

I wish the spies had more of a personality. I get that it makes sense for them to be boring and blend in since they're spies and all but from a story standpoint it's really shitty.

>Also the entirety of their "portraying Germany as evil" has consisted of some soldiers suppressing French resistance.
So you haven't seen the latest episode, then?

Anyway, I though it started off really well, but the episodic format pretty much killed it for me. Too much time has to be taken setting up the scenario and then explaining everything afterwards so you only have about 10 minutes for the actual story. Episodic stuff works well when the subject matter allows it, like Kino's Journey, for example, but even there they did a double episode when the complexity of the plot demanded it.

I'm enjoying it, some of the stories kind of go over my head but some were really thrilling to watch, my favourite is still the one in France.

Also, who is directing this? They are really good at setting moods, for example:
a.pomf.cat/sujdsd.webm

I was about to drop the damn show before I realized it was going to be a collection of episodic mini stories.

Thank god it's episodic.

Oh, the boat scene at the start? I completely forgot about it. Guess that's the problem with adding scenes that are totally irrelevant to the story.

But it was highly relevant.

It was still Japan stronk. What their spy got captured? Just kidding. We had a sleeper agent all along.

Who cares? Why do Americans get so upset on behalf of other people or pissed that someone other than them is nationalist?
I'm German, you don't see me bitching about the holohoax and our apparent war crime list, I also don't give a shit that Americans display everyone else as the bad guys, especially us and the Japanese. If you expect anything other than bias in each individual nation specific media you're the problem, not the media you consume.

No it wasn't. The fact that the attack happened and the reason why it did were relevant, but the scene conveyed neither of these because there was no context at all. Nothing changes by removing that scene.

Did we watch the same episode? It provided Cerberus' motivation for doing what she did.

I'm not sure if the anime will get there.

Yuki and some of the army generals start working as double agents for America since they've long recognise the war is lost when America joins in. Telling America where to bomb, mine and place their subs.

Yuki gets to love a comfortable life after the war in Hawaii, the cooperating generals get lucrative contracts rebuilding Japan.

Most of the spies are killed and the remaining ones go to work for the USSR.

Spoiler tags exist for a reason, user.

I'm not sure if the anime will get there.

Yuki and some of the army generals start working as double agents for America since they've long recognise the war is lost when America joins in. Telling America where to bomb, mine and place their subs.

Yuki gets to love a comfortable life after the war in Hawaii, the cooperating generals get lucrative contracts rebuilding Japan.

Most of the spies are killed and the remaining ones go to work for the USSR.

My mistake.

nationalism is okay except when japan or germany does it according to a lot of people

> Most of the spies are killed and the remaining ones go to work for the USSR
Don't tell me that Amari won't be a good father for little Emma

It's episodic and struggle to be interesting. It has a very good OP, good animation and good premise but too many main characters.
Fuck I don't even know their names and their faces. The appear for an episode only then they are never seen again

I at least want to know who survived?
that sly yuki using his cute spy students like that.

This never fucking happens user. Nice b8 though

That's because they were the "bad guys".

Thanks mate. I managed to convince people that Pham got raped in Schwarzesmarken for over a year. Real proud of that one.

'Bad guys' according to the winners of the war.

Depending on where you live m8

Yeah, that's kind of my point.

I spy you.

>no XCOM shop yet

Oh god I love it when each episode is completely disconnected from each other and I can't tell flashbacks from flash forwards, or even who is the spy I'm supposed to be cheering for because they all look and act the same

>It's not as nationalist as I thought it would be
>decent spy thriller anime
Are we watching the same anime?

to be fair I was expecting something along the lines of
> NIPPON STRONK
> DEATH TO AMERICAN PIGDOGS
> [insert special powers here]
> [optional mecha]
> [big ol tidddies]

instead I got a semi-historically accurate spy drama/thriller, without any typical anime bullshit

I'm not claiming its the best. It has a lot of flaws, but they dont detract from the show too much.

In the sleeper agent episode being captured was part of the plan. It isn't like they are just ignoring the stakes

ayy

I don't usually make threads and I download it from BTN. I have a friend who's the same.