Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1546

since no one made a thread and i don't have any good pics i made this real quick hope you like it

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1462118463675.webm
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1461413311315.webm
vndb.org/p9
ankiweb.net/shared/info/2077872612
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

DJTにようこそ!

アッハハじゃないの

>since no one made a thread and i don't have any good pics i made this real quick hope you like it
This is actually the best one yet.

Needs the white at the edges sorting out though. Here.

Formally requesting that we rename DJT to:
>Daisuki Japanese Thread

Can you actually write, print out and sign a form requesting the renaming of DJT?

use this one

はやっ

Sounds like a lot of work

(怒)

Read more.

Why learn so many kanji when not even Japanese know that much anyway? Learning the very basics is more than enough (1k - 2k). Who the hell even remembers over 40k kanji

Friendly Reminder

How to tell if something is a shitpost:
>calls the community made guide/whatever method a piece of shit with no reasoning given why
>insults someone giving helpful advice with no reasoning given why
>attempts to create arguments over virtually nothing (eg opinions without facts)
>"spam questions" that are easily answered via a 1 second glance at the guide
>uses obtuse Japanese fragments interspersed with English to attempt bypass people trying to filter the shitposts
>any mention of anime being shit, or claiming that X isn't "real Japanese"
>spells the word as romaji

You can't even read children bedtime stories without knowing at least 5000 hiragana and 200k kanji.

>the only option is to learn either 1k-2k (less than the jouyou list) or 40k, there is no middle ground whatsoever

I will destroy kanji when I become the prime minister.

Heisig will never let you do it as long as he's Emperor of Japan.

>US government thought kanji was stupid after the war
fucking americans

Send help I can't stop watching this webm

Sometime after I finish reps some cards are in "Learning" and I have to wait a couple minutes before I can do them.

Is this, uh, good? Can or should I change it so I can do it at once?

4じゃない

It's that adorable little うぅん of complete uncertainty that gets me every time

Why do I keep reading 放射能汚染 as 放射能おんせん

簡単なこと、目は見えているか、耳は聞こえているか、彼を本当に助ける気があるか、調べて必要無い者は削除されていくんだ、ダメな奴ほど足を引っ張る、しダメな奴ほど自分が足を引っ張らていると思う、一人ボクサーって奴だ、自分で自分を殴る、飲み物と毒の区別がつかない、助け合うのが一番理想だが今のネット社会じゃ無理

Is she drinking fish oil?

So I used to hook VNs with TransAggregator and ITH but I recently made a fresh install of Windows 7 and I want to transition to chiitrans. Thing is, I can't dl Atlas anymore on the fujitsu site. If I download chiitrans, will it be included in the download? If not, is there a torrent or a mega link where I can download atlas?

What are some good relatively easy light novels that I could read on my phone without a text hooker? No philosophical stuff like 俺のラブコメヒロインはパンツがはけない please.

It's hard to give recommendations when we don't know what your level is. What LNs did you already read?

>atlas
The sooner you stop machine translating, the faster you will actually start learning the language.

Oreimo ;)

I just thought it was required for chiitrans to work. It's not like I'm gonna translate full sentences anyway, I just need the hooker to work as a dictionary.

chiitrans lite has built in dictionary and parsing, you only need atlas if you want to machine translate to english

Oh, fine then, thank you user.

study hard today

The only thing you can do to fight laziness is form habits and just make the rational decision to do the goddamn work! Worst case scenario, you barely do any new anki cards and have to wait years before you're good. If you learn 5 kanji-vocabulary a day, you'll know 3,000 kanji in less than 2 years, and would have barely spent time studying. Obviously this is suboptimal but you can be a lazy shit and still do it.

Another thing would be to force yourself to read manga in Japanese. That's what I'm trying to do and it's ridiculously helpful. Reading practice is the most important thing to do while learning Japanese. If you do nothing but anki for 100 years you will never learn Japanese. Try reading a single chapter or something a day and build up as time goes on.

Do *not* rely on motivation. Just make a schedule and stick with it. If you can't do that, sorry, but you really can't learn Japanese.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1462118463675.webm

context?

that girls is fucking cute

I wish I were governed by rationality.

He's an 嫌なヤツ

「ヤなやつ」はたぶんジブリじゃないかなあとおもうよ

ふるいやつ

あそうね
知らなかった

よし

I've just finished 3500 vocab reviews over the last 8 days catching back up after neglecting anki for 2months. I swear this is the last time I don't do my reviews even If I don't feel like it.

good

>セックス
It should be オナニー instead

I wish it was セックス

what the ffffffff
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1461413311315.webm

>I swear this is the last time I don't do my reviews even If I don't feel like it.

怖え

pretty much. I've quit 3 or 4 times already.

Learning Japanese feels good. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something every day. Before I was goal- and dreamless, and was basically just consuming media every day for escapism, but now I have a purpose.

My dream is to become an eroge translator in the future.

That's what motivates me to keep going too, feels great having a goal, and feeling like you have a way to spend your time productively

I'm dabbling in doujinshi translating at the moment, feels good giving back to the community

How long has it been since you guys starting learning Japanese?

How proficient are you so far? What are some milestones that you've hit?

me too

Long enough ago that I should already know enough to do what I wanted to do with it when I set out but I've failed. On the positive side I've started up again and I'm having an easier time understanding the stuff I'm reading than In the past. So while it's still hard it's not as hard as it was. I can still learn it but is depressing thinking about all my previous failures.

291 days. Finished RTK1, Core6K, Yotsuba, can read (most of) Flyable Heart easily.

>RTK cucks biggest achievement is Flyable Heart
lol

Started mid-April last year. I can read a lot of Tweets, nhk easy news articles, things like Yotsuba, and I can carry on a conversation well enough. My listening is shit though. I'm not a neet unfortunately so I don't always have as much time as I want to study

I started learning Japanese because I wanted to read read untranslated doujins and watch unsubbed anime, but I don't even watch anime anymore. I just like the language. Reading and doing anki a little every day, even when I feel too tired or busy, has gotten me into good habits that go beyond studying Japanese.

savage

>cucks
Back to with you, crossboard scum.

>this is how RTK cucks retaliate
lol

What's the difference between 帰り and 帰る ?
You can't use 帰り alone in a sentence ?
Like 帰る means going home and you don't specify anything ( where/when ), meanwhile with 帰り you have to specify where/when ( after school, at 6 pm ).

More generally, how does a verbal noun work ?

Like 4 years probably, although my level of seriousness fluctuated a lot early on

Idk about milestones, everything's so slow that I never really realise when I improve in any significant way, I guess I can read pretty much any SoL with very little difficulty, just having to look up a word or two every now and then, I can watch SoL with japanese subtitles fine but without subtitles I miss some of the faster spoken shit, my listening comprehension is miles behind my reading

It works by READING MORE

The masu stem of a verb just turns that verb into a noun meaning the same shit, so you can use it as you would any noun

So you can use 帰り to talk about the act of returning for example, instead of talking about actually DOING the act

One is a verb, the other is a noun.

Thanks

Speaking of which, what is everyone working on reading currently?

Are you enjoying it? Learning a lot? Would you recommend it, and if so, to what skill level?

I'm aware we have a list for this, but active discussion isn't a bad thing, either.

>My dream is to become an eroge translator in the future.
>I'm dabbling in doujinshi translating at the moment, feels good giving back to the community
The more you learn japanese the less you will want to do this shit, except if you crave for the attention.

Started in 2011, passed N2 in 2014, failed N1 in 2015 by 10 points.
Since I finished post-grad and started working I do not have time to study properly so my overall proficiency is not increasing much, apart from my reading speed.

I'm the first guy and I wasn't talking for free. As in, professional translator. Though I could see myself doing a fantl of something 2 hours long or so if it was something I wanted people to experience.

>I'm aware we have a list for this, but active discussion isn't a bad thing, either.
The reading list never gets any contributions anyway.

>The more you learn japanese the less you will want to do this shit

Why do you think that?

>professional eroge translator
There's no such thing, m8. The only company I'm aware of that ever dabbled in eroge translations dropped out of the "business" in 2008 (probably because it was unprofitable as fuck).

vndb.org/p9

>The more you learn japanese the less you will want to do this shit, except if you crave for the attention.
Sounds more like you're just an arsehole and are projecting this trait onto others. Some people get a kick out of doing things others appreciate.

Reading 学戦都市アスタリスク vol 5. and playing Chaos;Head on the Vita (finished Steins;Gate 0 last December so I went and bought that)

Asterisk is easy for a light novel, so if you like the anime I recommend it.

Alright, the translation business does not seem to pay well so I wish you good luck.

Just my opinion but when you can actually enjoy things in Japanese it feels like a better use of time to continue doing that instead of translating stuff for a not so good community

Started kyonyuu fantasy after the discussion in /jp/
It's not boring me but the sex scene density is a bit too high. I'll probably just read the first one and then go back to focusing on anime. I downloaded the second lupin series to watch through (in addition of course to following ~5 shows this season)

MG, JAST. Though I'm guessing 5~ years down the line there will be more companies / the Japanese trying to localize stuff themselves without a 3rd party.

Reading Tonakoi. I'm not far enough in to recommend it, but it feels harder than Satsukoi. I've been on the same scene for 3 days. I recently doubled my daily Anki time and it is really burning me out. I need to cut back again.

More like in 5 years Japan will have cleansed itself of anime for the tokyo olympics

Started April 2012,
Passed N2 December 2014
Passed N1 December 2015

Reading VNs and LNs, playing japanese video games, no plans about going to japan, or actually interacting with japanese people.

MG doesn't even show up on VNDB, and JAST have hardly released anything in English. I know that the Steins;Gate translation that is attributed to them was actually a fan translation that JAST bought when it was very near completion.

It's pretty stupid to bet on getting a job in such a tiny industry, especially when you have no formal qualifications related to that field and no translating experience.

I'm not sure where you're getting 'betting' from, I just said it's a dream...

And you don't know what the future brings. I'm fairly optimistic, especially with Frontwing now setting a precedent.

>Just my opinion but when you can actually enjoy things in Japanese it feels like a better use of time to continue doing that instead of translating stuff for a not so good community

I've been enjoying things in Japanese for a long time and continue to do so all the time, I also enjoy providing fap material for other people to enjoy and seeing their happy comments of gratitude, if I spent years learning a skill why would I not want to use it for the good of a community that I feel close to and want to give back to

A long time
Pretty much 流暢
Two days ago I 話すd to a Japanese person

Cos EOPs are fucking braindead retarded.

Reading through 赤髪の白雪姫 and (trying) to read 人類は衰退しました。Not sure how to recommend their levels as I haven't taken any JLPTs yet (I know, I know), but I'll be entering my fourth year of Japanese at uni if that's any indicator

Reading baldr sky dive. It's awesome, I'm a sucker for those consciousness/AI/VR themes, and the minigames are also addicting.

Why has this dickhead stopped giving me stories? Don't tell me he only made 500 of them and decided to skip the rest and sell it as a book anyway.

You've been doing RTK without the pdf at the very least? You not only chose a terrible method, you also wasted your time welp.

ok

That game is such a masterwork. All the routes are designed to tie together so perfectly that multiple brick shitting is guaranteed in the last route.

What pdf?

Did you even read the guide before you started doing this?

No, guides are for fags and losers.

This is incredibly low quality shitposting, but I'm going to respond here for other learner's reference anyways:

The PDF of the actual book. Reading the introduction, which explains how the method works, how the book is laid out and how to use it, is incredibly important.

It lays the out the foundation for learning using the RTK method, not just the 2000 something kanji found within RTK1, but also how to learn the 1000+ it is lacking when you encounter them "in the wild".

If you are planning on using RTK to learn, you'll need not only the anki deck but also the book (it introduces the radicals & the intro) and if you want, kanji.koohii community stories.

You should have used a deck like ankiweb.net/shared/info/2077872612 that has the top 2 community stories from Kanji Koohii.

While I always recommend using the PDF along with the deck, it wouldn't solve this problem because he does stop having stories around 500.

>(I know, I know)
the fuck do you mean by that
The only people who care about JLPT are those who want jobs in japan and redditors

What's the general verdict on RTK 2?

Why's it lacking a 1000+ kanji?