So is face scanning technology is considered mundane and normal now?

So is face scanning technology is considered mundane and normal now?

Other urls found in this thread:

ioshacker.com/iphone/research-claims-touch-id-vulnerable-can-unlocked-fake-masterprints
archive.is/m7woj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes?

Right now it's being discussed if our authorities should make more use of face recognition tech at point of interest like airports, train stations, government buildings and so on. There's actually a strong lobby against that stuff and pushing for privacy even in public blabla so things are moving rather slowly.

What are your thoughts on that? I really hope people are finally able to draw a line as to where they stand on giving up their privacy in exchange for 'security'. I am not even concerned that Apple will hoard all this data because It's all stored locally and encrypted (at least this is what they claim) and they actually stand up for the privacy of their users more than other tech firms. What I'm really concerned about is this will make face scanning normal and we will soon have to do it everywhere we go. I really wouldn't like that to be the case.

If everyone had guns we wouldn't need this shit.

You have to know that shit is going to keep moving this way and millennials will eat it up because they're retarded, for a lack of better words.
they will not have an issue with mass surveillance because "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" and they already hand out their private info whenever asked to faceberg or twatter.
i do not wish for a world like this, I think it is some of the most cancerous, invasive technology that can exist for governments to keep track of all their citizens, and it will likely become a normal thing without a second thought.

fuck it, really. I want to move to the rural portions of the world and get away from this shit. If I'm ever needed I'll come back but I just want a family, property and a future for my kids. Sacrificing all of this for (((security))) is not worth it

i mean why not? isnt this like better or something?

it's sad millenials give up their right to privacy so easily, I hope gen X is smarter about it and knows how to raise their kids right so they don't fall into these stupid traps..

I wish you the best of luck in your endevours.

then go to to the rural areas of your country then live the rest of your life without wifi! no one's forcing you to use facebook or twitter, and even then google and other seach engines are going to look at your search history and sell them for ads, so your only option is stop using wifi

>without wifi
where did I say that though
I'm saying that I don't want to be around face scanning and government shit where I'm an ID number in a database and I just have to make sure I pay my taxes.

But, hey, if I had a guarantee 1:1 exchange where I got everything I wished for in exchange for no wifi, then I'll do it

to the bluepilled masses, yes. however this can be combated at the individual level by not buying iphones and not using meme filters on social media. essentially, if you put the snapchat dog ears on your face, consider sudoku.

I'm really undecided on that issue. Ideologically, I care about privacy just like any other user, and try my best to keep my digital footprint low profile. On one hand I hate that "I got nothing to hide, let them watch me" attitude out of principle because once the data is there it's there forever and might be used against you one way or the other. On the other hand it's a technology which could prevent crimes if used the right way.

>implying said technology won't be built so it won't discriminate against racial minorities, literally handicapping its ability to prevent crime in a blanket way

>On the other hand it's a technology which could prevent crimes if used the right way.
That's for certain but don't you feel it's BOUND to become that which enslaves us to some degree? I think it's inevitable if we completely accept this technology. If we are careful and critical towards it and educate people about it then we have a chance of using it for good.

Not for me, but I really have to wonder what any motivation behind this technology could be besides mass surveillance. Animated emoji is such a lame use of this advanced tech, almost an /excuse/ to use it. Surely it can't be that hard for people to see through it, right?

I just dont see it catching on.
People are are always picking up and putting down their phone. And they're doing it in all sorts of places. In the dark, on the train etc.
It doesnt seem convenient.

I know right? The animated emoji thing.. Who asked for it? Who needs it? Who REALLY wanted this to be in a new phone? Their fans were begging for a headphone jack and they give them this shit? What the hell is going on man..

>Samsung did face scanning years ago
>Samsung got rid of the home button earlier this year
>lol apple so innovative so based
>btw you need to pay 300 dollars more

Most of us are born into some kind of slavery anyways. Technology, innovation and science are good things, basically. Maybe it's cool to live in one of those indigeneous cultures who are still down to earth and fight for their survival on a daily basis, literally. But I've been born and raised in a completely different society and kinda embrace some of the shackles "they" put on us because of the comfort which comes with it. Ancient Roman concept, bread and games.

Maybe it's because of that snapshot meme.

But surely a line has to be drawn somewhere? I'm cool with paying taxes (I'd prefer to pay a lot less) and I'm fine with passports, having an ID, having healthcare and being in a database for my education.. I'm NOT okay with face scanning, mass surveilance and internet censorship. This is where I will attempt to draw the line in my personal life. Can people have any sort of voice anymore? Any sort of resistance? I wonder..

A friend of a friend of mine has connections to Apple, and explained it somewhat like this
>Before Apple implemented Touch ID, only about 30% of users actually used passcodes, simply leaving their phone open to anyone who picked it up and swiped
>Once Touch ID came out, the usage of passcodes + Touch ID went up to about 90%
>Apple's plans are not to foil any /government agency/ with security Touch ID or advanced face recognition, but to improve user's security against /other people/
I'm not sure I believe this shit but take it as you will

>security Touch ID
through

>So is face scanning technology is considered mundane and normal now?

Outside of Britain? Yes.

In UK, they're still facing massive difficulty in creating algorithms that can tell humans and animals apart.

That's reasonable, and it is pretty obvious Apple is most outspoken about user privacy. Look up the "Secure Enclave" and how Touch/Face data is stored securely on-device (and has not been reported hackable.)

That's fine and all but I'm making the point that it NORMALIZES face scanning tech. It makes scanning your face and giving your fingerprints a normal daily activity you do just to unlock your phone and go on the internet. It can start well but end badly for us.

The FaceID system, though, miniaturized as it is, implies a very dystopian future.

Trusting that data on your personal phone is one thing, if it doesn't leave the device.

When we all get used to that technology and start to want it to work like that elsewhere, that's when we wind up allowing our data to get scooped up... Let someone else handle shuffling that around to all the devices... Then it's too late.

Yeah I'm still putting off that "biometric passport" thing they introduced over here. My ID is outdated for about 4-5 years now, and I need to get a new passport asap because there are hefty fines (5000€ iirc, if you get caught without a valid ID). New ID would cost me bout 40€ but I disagree. I've been paying taxes all my life so why the fuck should I pay for an ID card? Which on top of that gives even more personal information about myself to our "government" than the last one?!

Mass surveillance is already happening for a while now, don't kid yourself. Mass scanning will come soon, too.

Heh, yeah we are on the same page :D

Mark of the beast on the forehead- Biometric face scanning
Mark the beast on the hand- Microchip.
Refuse both for hella gains.

True, but there's also stuff like this
ioshacker.com/iphone/research-claims-touch-id-vulnerable-can-unlocked-fake-masterprints
archived archive.is/m7woj
Even if the data is not accessable you can still get around it by studying the algorithm itself.

Yeah I agree with your post! Humanity needs to have an open conversation about this (If one would be even allowed)

>t. the german who makes all the brexit threads

Guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilty :^)

There's a company in Chicago from what I read that's already microchipping it's employeed lmao

fuck it bump this post fa m

That's tough, while it's important for various modern necessities we don't need ID's here. makes me appreciate America.
Might as well get it though, you probably deal with enough Turks daily without needing to go to an 80% turkish prison

Bavarian that's rich coming from the land of bratwurst ruined bodies.

Where have YOU been, mister? Haven't seen you in days

You spend too much time on this, coming more than twice a day for a short period isn't sane.
Doing nothing, you?
How's the search for Cali unis?

>coming more than twice a day for a short period isn't sane
But holy shit is it ever entertaining. Check these out:
Best threads I ever made

READ THEM. READ THEM NOW

Read them, they seemed weak, why do you love them so?

We are no longer friends. Fuck you

? You had stronger stuff before.

gtfo of my thread

OUT
U
T

this is my thread bucko

Well they seem weak to me, as I recognize your unique diction.
Oh its's Bavarian I can say without seeing more than the OP

I think their mass implementation is inevitable, we need laws to ensure our facial data isn't stored in databases.
They have advantages, like catching repeat offenders and preventing identity theft. But they also can be used for preemptive targeting of individuals with suspicious features. I don't mean black but conservative.

how do you suggest we go about putting those laws in to protect us? A referendum of some sorts?

raising awareness and lobbying it can work, I bet the democrats will be stronger in those sort of protections. They tend to support civil protection like this.
referendums are for single issues, this is a web of data. What kind of data can be stored? For how long? What data is essential, how publicly accessible the data is.
Would wearing masks for data acquisition suppression be legal?
I think you euros in you burqa bans shot yourselves in the foot, as you have facial covering precedence. Whereas we can wear what we like.

When it comes to this you really can't say who has it better currently. You could say that's one of our disadvantages in regards to this issue but I would say one of your main disadvantages is that American consumers are by far the most likely to start adopting this technology. I don't think Europeans in general are that hype about getting their face scanned for example. That's just the impression I get.

Yeah, but excluding military we aren't keen on funding the government or paying for stuff.
companies will start implementing things like this for commercial places and luxury apartments.But we already have that like in the amazon employee-less store.
Airlines will of course have them, and consumers will as well. If it can be used for fun Americans adopt it.

ahahahahahahahaha
nigga what? UK is on a whole other level of police state already.
the fuck are you smoking

Since the threads going to die I might as well furfil that dick pic i promised you while back

bump and thats gross dont post dicks in my thread cunt

thanks for deleting that mods

You're speaking to the only other country who is desperately trying to outdo the UK in this regard

>active mods
I did it, he probably got what i owed.
But you are right it will probably be in service in america before europe
China first though they are actually already catching people with this. Plus witht the great firewall they could block anyone who opts out from thw internet

If they can do it in China they can do it here for SURE. Chinese people are very similiar in facial structures so it takes a high resolution face scan to identify between people.

They also use it for drug detection and inebriation.
They could also check people's moods see if they are panicked or look suspicious.plenry has been written about this in ethics journals
The chinese have no interest in rights, they aren't white. So we can probably stave off the most dystopic stuff.
Limiting what data is stored is our prioty, as is kicking out the foreigners who would commit crimes giving the gov an excuse to impliment them

HEY, people need an easier way to log into their phones rather than have to remember a 4 DIGIT passcode! Also all that effort fingering the digits into the handset could be better spent drinking Starcucks coffee and preparing your house for Tyrone's weekly visit to see your girlfriend.

This facial recognition will save people vital seconds, progress in technology means making things easier and take less effort in life. Everything should be automatic and people will have more time to do important things. I hate bigoted Luddites like you who thinks technology is out to get you, its just technology and its making the world more connected. Get over it.

The moods thing is really creepy too, let's say the new iPhone was scanning you ALL the time, it could make a log of all your moodswings during the day and then show you ads at a time where you're more accepting of them or something like that.
>So we can probably stave off the most dystopic stuff.
Sure as hell hope so

The worst thing I take from that is the fact 70 percent of Iphone users are too lazy/stupid to use a 4 digit passcode. But then this is the generation that broadcasts every aspect of its life on social media for all the world to see and seems oblivious of potential consequences.

That would be a real battery drain and easily noticed, a computer webcam or on the tv it would work. Harrowing thought never considered that. Thankfully apple isn't associates with the brands that would want that data yet.
Google might though

I think the solution to this is just have people not use the face ID feature. No need to boycott the phone or aynthing, if people don't use the feature they won't put it in the next phone.
Right?? Right?

>One thousand dollars for a handheld FaceRig
I had no idea there was a high demand for such a thing

Some user in a thread on Sup Forums said he could use one and when I asked why he didn't reply

while its not probable it is very feasible to mimic the exact angles and symmetry of someone through plastic surgery making identity theft much more life threatening the true scientific means identification would be a painless scan sample of dna that would be processed via supercomputer

>the true scientific means identification would be a painless scan sample of dna that would be processed via supercomputer
Well that's one answer, but we can only be certain if we get experts talking about this, it should really become a pressing issue for humanity to decide how we are going to identify ourselves and what kinda surveilance we're going to have

this is fucking creeping me out

for a while now yeah, not just face scanning but biometrics as a whole. even without a face its possible to identify people based on their gait, posture and mannerisms.

Those who give up their freedoms for security deserve neither