Is it possible to be religious but not actively go to church or openly talk about religion with people...

Is it possible to be religious but not actively go to church or openly talk about religion with people? Like if I was interested in Christianity, read the bible, practiced it's value, etc. But I didn't openly tell people I was Christian, would that make sense? It's strange because I'm not very religious, yet I'm interested in Christianity, I just don't really want to become fully involved in it. I usually tell people I'm agnostic, never really practiced any sort of religion, and was never really a faithful person.

There was a period where I read the bible every night, but that was for about a week or so and then I kind of stopped doing it. I did feel more religious as I read more and more of the bible, and a lot of Christians tell me that you don't have to go to church or openly tell people you're a Christian. It's more about having a personal relationship with God and Jesus, like you can be religious but not openly talk about it, unless you just want to do so.

Other urls found in this thread:

home.newadvent.org/summa/5073.htm#article1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Im already in that position. Ive read the bible multiple times and still have not found a fellowship to attend yet. However church isnt something you "attend" it is the true body of believers waiting for the Christ to come again.

Yes it is more of edification through interaction and action of the different members of the body of Christ - the curch - the elect.

Well, technically you can pray/worship anywhere.It's just doing so in a church is probably a more appropriate place I suppose.

Is not the heart more important?
If it turns your heart to obey God then I agree.

The biggest problem with others not knowing you're a Christian is you not sharing the Gospel. If you truly love those close to you, why wouldn't you want them to know Christ?

If you keep the commandments and strive to keep the faith, it will be apparent to others. It has been that way for me.

I don't believe in preaching to people that obviously don't care about Christianity, maybe I'm just trying to respect their opinion/choice. I kind of find people that do that to be annoying, if I know a friend of mine is atheist or some other religion, I'm not going to just openly mock/berate him for not being interested or following Christianity. I try to be friends with people of all religions, honestly it doesn't bother me if they're Christians or not, hell I don't even really classify myself as a Christian to people because I'm really not. I just enjoy studying and somewhat following Christianity from a philosophical perspective, and I also find the Bible interesting.

As I said, really all that matters is your personal relationship with God/Christ.

That's more or less how I live my life, user. I don't feel a connection with most of the people around me. Attempts to attend Catholic mass are usually utter failures and make me struggle with my faith. I can't imagine myself becoming a member of one of those evangelical rock star churches either.

Still, I read the Bible and do my best to do be good and fair to others and pray. I guess you could just say you're a mere Christian.

I agree with this. I'm Christian, and one of my best friends is an atheist. I don't treat him any different, and we actually have conversations talking about both of our beliefs (or none in his case). The main thing is to never deny Christ when asked about it. As far as the church thing goes, i haven't been in about 6 or 7 years, but i still hold onto my beliefs, and i feel that's the most important part of it all.

Is it strange that Christianity places more faith in Jesus than God? Or is God and Jesus the same person so if you believe in one then you're still worshiping the other? They usually say "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior." But that's because Jesus died on the cross, not God. So I can see why Jesus is more revered since he absolved humanity of their sin. I actually see it being equal in the Christian community, people praise God, but they also praise Jesus. I know in a lot of the Psalms it mentions "The Lord" figured it was referring to God, but could be Jesus as well. Though in the new testament it usually refers to Jesus by name as in Jesus Christ or Christ.

>

Read Mark 16.16, and Romans 3.23-8

all you need is scripture

Christianity isn't the answer. Islam is. Even Jesus has foretold about prophet Muhammad s.a.w
>John 14:16 says:

>And I will pray to God that he will send to you another comforter, who will abide with you for ever!
Muslims claim that "another comforter" means Ahmad in Arabic, which means "Praised One"; and Muhammad also means "Praise One" hence, Ahmad and Muhammad are synonyms (same meaning).
Hence John 14:16 talks about prophet Muhammad of Islam!

Yep, of course you can.

>names given to humans by their elders don't >necessary reflect the attributes of that >particular human. For example, Shah-Rukh >Khan, the superstar of Indian films was >named Shah-Rukh by his elders (parents). >Shah means king, Rukh means face. Hence, >Shah-Rukh means face of the king! But, it >doesn't mean that actor Shah-Rukh Khan is >the King of some country.

Similarly, Muhammad was so named by his grandfather Abdul-Muttalib. It is his original name. But Ahmad is not the original name of prophet Muhammad. Ahmad is an attribute of prophet Muhammad.

Just like Rashid (guided one), Bashir (bringer of good tidings), Rasul (messenger), Nabi (prophet), Mustafa (chosen one) are attributes of the prophet Muhammad, not original-names. The original name of the prophet Muhammad is Muhammad only, name given by his grandfather.

Jesus told the children of Israel that, after him, a messenger will come whose name will be Ahmad.
Name in Arabic means "bisma, us muha, I-sma".

Sura 61, verse 6 should have said "a messenger will come after me who will be Ahmad" instead of "whose name will be Ahmad".

in sura 61 verse 6 , "AHMAD" is NOUN (name of a person ) instead of ADJECTIVE ( attribute of the person ) which is exactly opposite to John 14:16 in which PARCLETE -COMFORTER-PRAISED-ONE or AHMAD is ADJECTIVE instead of NOUN

As I explained before, there is a vast difference between formal, official names and attributes, which are taken as names of the concerned human. Muhammad is the former (official name) of the prophet, and Ahmad is the attribute of the prophet, assumed as a name of the prophet.

Or John 14:16 should have said: "and I will pray to God that he will send another comforter whose name will be Praised One or Comforter or Counselor" (Ahmad in Arabic) instead of "and I will pray to God that he will send another comforter".

I would like to understand if John 14:16 really talks about prophet Muhammad.

the bible says youre doing it right. Church is an overpriced supplement.

Eat a cock, Muhammad. Your country is so shitty that even a frozen wasteland like Canada is a vast improvement on your home country. Move to Nunavat and get mauled by a polar bear, please.

>names given to humans by their elders don't >necessary reflect the attributes of that >particular human. For example, Shah-Rukh >Khan, the superstar of Indian films was >named Shah-Rukh by his elders (parents). >Shah means king, Rukh means face. Hence, >Shah-Rukh means face of the king! But, it >doesn't mean that actor Shah-Rukh Khan is >the King of some country.

>Similarly, Muhammad was so named by his >grandfather Abdul-Muttalib. It is his original >name. But Ahmad is not the original name of >prophet Muhammad. Ahmad is an attribute of >prophet Muhammad.

>Just like Rashid (guided one), Bashir (bringer >of good tidings), Rasul (messenger), Nabi (prophet), Mustafa (chosen one) are attributes >of the prophet Muhammad, not original-names. The original name of the prophet >Muhammad is Muhammad only, name given >by his grandfather.

>Jesus told the children of Israel that, after >him, a messenger will come whose name will >be Ahmad.
>Name in Arabic means "bisma, us muha, I->sma".

>Sura 61, verse 6 should have said "a >messenger will come after me who will be >Ahmad" instead of "whose name will be >Ahmad".

>in sura 61 verse 6 , "AHMAD" is NOUN (name of a person ) instead of ADJECTIVE ( >attribute of the person ) which is exactly >opposite to John 14:16 in which PARCLETE ->COMFORTER-PRAISED-ONE or AHMAD is >ADJECTIVE instead of NOUN

>As I explained before, there is a vast >difference between formal, official names and >attributes, which are taken as names of the >concerned human. Muhammad is the former >(official name) of the prophet, and Ahmad is >the attribute of the prophet, assumed as a >name of the prophet.

>Or John 14:16 should have said: "and I will >pray to God that he will send another >comforter whose name will be Praised One or >Comforter or Counselor" (Ahmad in Arabic) >instead of "and I will pray to God that he will >send another comforter".

>I would like to understand if John 14:16 really >talks about prophet Muhammad.

Jesus mentions "none may come to the father except through me" or something like that. Sounds to me like you need to be seen as worthy before Christ before you even reach God. You need to respect both of course, but if you deny Christ you'll never be allowed before the Father.

>Canadian flag

im willing to believe that leafs are so desperate for attention that they will memorize islamic stuff JUST to shit up a Christianity centered thread.

I love Jesus but i also love Muhammad s.a.w. You guys should take the final red-pill.
>inb4 "B-but Muslims are savages"

>Jesus told the children of Israel that, after him, a messenger will come whose name will be Ahmad.
Jesus said what? BEGONE HERETIC

1John22 "Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son."

Matt24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

Do you accept Christ as Son of God?

And btw you autistic fuck john is talking about the Holy Spirit

**John 14:15-17 - Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)**
[15] If you love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever. [17] The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you.

Lets see what the bible says
>And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you

accepting that God has a son revokes God's status as God. God is supposed to be omnipotent and laws and rules that effect us shouldn't effect God since God is the creator. Saying Jesus is the son of God makes your God same as every human and corrupts this religion you believe in. Thus it allows for the infamous question of "Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It?"

How much taxes do churches pay?
Also the church is like a club or a concert for them. Its just a gathering place to waste time and money.

My suggestion to you, start to also learn about other religions, even if you consider yourself a believer in Christ but not saying it. Eventually you will slip up, people will notice a bias on subjects.

>"Why is Christianity better?"
>"Because I could only find the bible at my bookstore"

Not a very compelling argument. It makes things pretty awkward sometimes and maybe it's different in 'Murica but here I pretty much have to defend my faith even if I'm not trying to convert anyone.

I'll ignore this because i believe you aren't this stupid

Christfags take it easy. You are winning over a ton of js Dawkinsfags.by being/notislam/ so just roll with it it.

>And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever. [17] THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you.
Clearly he his talking about the Holy Spirit. And there's a million of their passages that btfo muslims.
Or you ignore the rest of the bible just because it hurts your feelings?
If you want to believe that John 14:16 refers to Ahmad (which it doesn't) then you must consider the rest of the bible true as well. Specially in John again where Jesus says "Because the Father and I are One".
Leave Canada and go back to the desert btw

sigh ok...
>translated through latin-vulgate to english
>no hebrew or greek or arabic translations
not everything from the west means equals good

The same can be said to you faggot.

>Is it possible to be religious

of course it "is"

in this life you are entirely free to behave and think whatever you wish

why you even think to ask such a question?

what human judgement do you hold in such high regard concerning this that may say "yes you may" or "no you may not"?

And btw
>Arabic
Because the original texts were written in Arabic right?

less than 100 years, i assure you

>not everything from the west means equals good

ok?
and?

Your country invented Brazilian waxing, seriously who cares what your opinions are. Go watch soccer or look brown or some shit

>God is supposed to be omnipotent and laws and rules that effect us shouldn't effect God since God is the creator.
Matt 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."
If he does not, then he is a devil.

If he has no son, then man has no part in Him.

Nice ad hominem. That's how I know you've just lost your argument.
Come on pls. Try to refute my other post. I dare you.

I am a Christian yet I don't go to Church that much,I talk about Christ and Salvation when people ask and when I must speak out,and I try to live a life worthy of our Lord.
Yet many times I just feel like not going to Church and don't want to force myself to sit through the Holy Service with my mind on something else.

>starts calling me a faggot
>defend myself
>'h-heh this is why you lost the argument'
This is why I don't go on Sup Forums that often

>still doesn't disprove what I mentioned above.
Honestly i have no ill-will towards you guys i just feel sad seeing how delirious you guys are

I called you a faggot because estou said I was wrong because the translations in English are wrong.
I said the same thing applies to you since the Arabic translation has its flaws too. Is it hard for you to think?

>only acknowledges one verse of the gospel of John
>ignores the rest of that same gospel
>calls other anons crazy
Hmm…

I didn't say the translations are wrong what my main point was it's a lot harder to dissect those translations rather then give me a source of a literal who as the end-all be all. I'm sorry for not being clear that was my fault but other then that you're basically going in circles.

Holy texts are revered for a reason. I consider myself an atheist yet whenever I read the Bible or the Hindu Mahabharata I feel wiser than I was before. I mean holy shit, these guys knew what they were doing when they wrote this stuff.

>The verse doesn't help with the fact that God is supposed to be omnipotent.
It literally contradicts what is God

>Is it possible to be religious but not actively go to church or openly talk about religion with people?
What the fuck? No, not possible. Absolutely not.
Not in a million years it isn't. Because I said so, a random nobody that might be a bot for all you know, designed solely to write this at this point in time. A random nobody just decided what's possible for you because you asked.
Are you legit retarded hermano?

You don't need a chapel to worship God. All you need is the connection and proper faith.

Unless you can read Greek or Aramaic It's also hard to dissect the bible in any other language so my point still stands.
And you're the one going in circles.
There's nothing in the bible that refers Islam.

Tone down the sarcasm there, wouldn't want you to bust an artery. Clearly nobody forced you to comment, if the topic/thread bothered you that much then you shouldn't have bothered commenting.

You just felt the need to call me a retard because in your mind I'm asking a stupid question, and that you feel I should make my own choices and not ask random people on the internet for advice.

Then don't you dare to quote John's gospel. Because if you believe in one verse of it then you must believe in the whole gospel. You can't just choose the verses you like.

I don't go around bothering people about religion. I go to church, but I don't evangelise. I would probably be a better Christian if I did. But my family are not all religious. Religious differences lead to a lot of conflict and drama so it is best to avoid the topic in most cases.

fuck you muslim

The source i took out was from both the greek and hebrew translations. I tried taking the most accurate approach unlike your latin vulagte translation

This is an incredibly serious politically related board. Why are you asking this kind of questions here, friend?

Because your smarter than every theologian you translated the bible in the last 2000 years?
Top kek.

*that translated

But if we believe in the whole gospel it still doesn't debunk what i've said earlier. You basically turned this argument into believing in the gospel or not. If i were to choose yes then it still doesn't take away that Jesus has foretold about prophet Muhammad s.a.w's coming

Bro the gospel says that Jesus and the Father are One. It clearly says that Jesus is the Son Of God.
I don't know what's you point desu. Have you read it?

you're*

If I were to place a bet, Id say 30

>ignores my main point
Does it not foretell the prophets coming?

Oh my god. I've made a typo.
Lad I lost the argument then. You won.

No. It talks about the Holy Spirit. Read the next verse god dammit. John 14:17

Uh no you haven't (not yet). Just wanted to have some fun

>Goes back to the translation meme
In circles mate

I personally don't go to church. There aren't any particularly good ones near me, nor do i feel it necessary. Follow the Holy Bible and keep faith in the Lord and you should be fine.

This type of faith is a false practice of personal rite. A real faith and authentic religion binds an entire family, community, country, and nation together in that order.

>leafs trying to theology

If religion is individual and personal, it is nothing.

And how can I trust yours lad?

This

>Muslims writers have argued that A "Spirit" in the New Testament is a human Prophet. Therefore, Jesus had predicted the coming of a human Prophet (spirit) after him and not the Holy Spirit. Jesus would not have used the word "he" for the Holy Spirit. He would have used "it" instead in John 14:26 above.1 John 4:1-3

If you do not believe in the voracity of the gospel why quote it?

>Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world," (1 John 4:1-3) [79] Many Muslim writers have argued that “another Paraclete” (John 14:16)—the first being Jesus—refers to Muhammad.(Muslims writers also have pointed out that The word "Paraclete" is applied too to Jesus himself in 1 John 2:1) This claim is based on the Quran verse from Surah 61 verse 6. The earliest scholar is probably Ibn Ishaq (died 767), who Islamic tradition states was the grandson of a Christian.A few Muslim commentators, such as David Benjamin Keldani (1928), have argued the theory that the original Greek word used was periklytos, meaning famed, illustrious, or praiseworthy, rendered in Arabic as Ahmad (another name of Muhammad), and that this was substituted by Christians with parakletos.

>According to Muslim missionary Ahmed Deedat, all the biblical references to the Paraclete fit Muhammad more accurately than the Holy Spirit. For example, Deedat mentions that 16:7 of the Gospel of John states that the Paraclete will only arrive once Jesus has departed; however, Deedat notes that the Holy Spirit is mentioned in the Bible as having been present numerous times even before the departure of Jesus

In John 16:12-13, the Advocate is described in a similar way to the description of the Prophet like Moses in Deuteronomy 18:18.The Advocate is called the spirit of Truth, for he will not speak as himself originating what he says, but all that he hears he will speak, and he will show you things to come. Rahmatullah Kairanawi cites Qur'an 53:3-4 in his argument to prove that Muhammad fulfilled this description of the Advocate in John 16:12-13.

What if i quote and use these?

You are just retarded right? Read the next verse I beg you.
The spirit of truth. That same spirit that Jesus cast over the apostles after the resurrection. Read the bible before talking shit.

here

I believe it but don't follow it.

Btw how does muslims theologians or the Quran proves your point? Since Christians consider every Islam theology as false.
You are doing shit wrong too. You are looking for evidence supporting your religion on another religion holy book. Of course you won't find anything supporting Islam. It's just like I tried to say the Hindu book predicted the coming of Jesus. I might have found some passage which I could interpreted my own way but if I kept on reading I would get blown the fuck out unless I choose to ignore the passages that jutted my feelings. And then I would say the Hindu was wrong because a Christian theologian said so. Do you think he would believe me?

Unprogrammed service is a common practice among anabaptists, particularly Quakers.

*hurted my fellings
Fucking phone

there is much left to be fulfilled, very much horrific wondrous and terrible and unimaginable things to come before the end

>less than 100 years, i assure you
What think you of my message in my image here:
???

All your Gods are leaves.
You should look at the fruits.

Go ahead use that Hindu example of yours I've seen similar attempts but they've been debunked, however the one i mentioned still hasn't been.

I just want to see those happenings larpers get BTFO on sept 23rd

No lad. Nothing will happen on the 23rd of sept sadly.
We can't possibly know when the judgement day will happen
Read this. Assuming you're catholic.
home.newadvent.org/summa/5073.htm#article1

yes, im quite inclined to be absolutely assured that nothing at all will happen, whatsoever

though we all like a happening, if we actually got one we would wish we had not

and i mean a *real* happening

not some blip like sept 11, but a REAL happening

i never said anything at all about the 23rd

nothing

just an indicator that the 2nd arrival of the Lamb of God is indeed very VERY nigh

Oh yes. You're right about that.
We just look like society just like in Noah's time.
Just kidding. We're even worse.

If sin is personal then so must our redemption be as well

>Just kidding. We're even worse.

indeed

First, the Holy Spirit (the water) cleansed the earth: Noah's flood

Then, the Christ (the blood) cleansed the earth: The Crucifixion

The final and last and total cleansing will be by the Father (the fire): armageddon

Muslims are savages.

To be honest the apocalyptic description of the end of the world resembles a lot a nuclear world war.
One can only hope.
Pls Kim deliver